Thread: Unionization movement amongst gaming employees

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Gelston View Post
    And again, for like the 4th time... It is on the person to research any company they are going to work for. If you can't be responsible enough to research an employeer then you deserve to be fucked over. Hopefully you learn from it and don't do the same thing again.
    Industry: *does something bad*
    Workers: "Maybe we should do something"
    Status Quo Motherfuckers: "HEY THAT'S THE NATURE OF THE INDUSTRY MAN NOTHING YOU CAN DO"
    You had better pay your guild dues before you forget. You are 113 months behind.

Quote Originally Posted by Taernath View Post
    Status Quo Motherfuckers: "HEY THAT'S THE NATURE OF THE INDUSTRY MAN NOTHING YOU CAN DO"
    I see nothing wrong if these people want to try and unionize. I just hate how the media is acting like these are the most down trodden people on the entire planet. It's crazy the amount of "Oh woe is the game coder!" stuff I read in articles about this.

They want to unionize? Good for them. Let's not act like they are some sort of victims or something though. They aren't exactly down in a coal mine somewhere with no safety equipment making 50 cents an hour.

Case in point? Look at this shit from the article in the original post:

One developer for Mortal Kombat 11 recently told gaming site Kotaku that he was diagnosed with PTSD after working on the extravagantly violent and gory fighting game.
    Really? PTSD because he was working on a violent and gory game?

Like the software industry more broadly, the gaming world is known for “crunch,” the period just before a launch when workers are expected to put in 100-hour weeks with no extra pay. In decades past, especially for console games, that crunch period was typically limited to the weeks before a game’s release date. But conditions are worsening in part because the underlying technology powering video games is changing, altering players’ expectations — and the industry more broadly — in the process.
    Oh no! They have to work long hours in an air conditioned office for maybe a few weeks before the launch of a game?

There is really nothing in this article that is world shattering or unhealthy or unfair, but for some reason Time magazine of all places felt the need to talk about the poor misunderstood game worker. I'm sure this has nothing at all to do with the residual effects of GamerGate, oh wait they mentioned accusations of "sexism" in the article too so maybe it does.
    Last edited by Tgo01; 06-18-2019 at 04:34 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Tgo01 View Post
    I see nothing wrong if these people want to try and unionize. I just hate how the media is acting like these are the most down trodden people on the entire planet. It's crazy the amount of "Oh woe is the game coder!" stuff I read in articles about this.

They want to unionize? Good for them. Let's not act like they are some sort of victims or something though. They aren't exactly down in a coal mine somewhere with no safety equipment making 50 cents an hour.

Case in point? Look at this shit from the article in the original post:

Really? PTSD because he was working on a violent and gory game?

Oh no! They have to work long hours in an air conditioned office for maybe a few weeks before the launch of a game?

There is really nothing in this article that is world shattering or unhealthy or unfair, but for some reason Time magazine of all places felt the need to talk about the poor misunderstood game worker. I'm sure this has nothing at all to do with the residual effects of GamerGate, oh wait they mentioned accusations of "sexism" in the article too so maybe it does.
    If those coders are so unhappy then perhaps they should learn to journalism and...oh wait.
    Last edited by Methais; 06-18-2019 at 05:48 PM.
    Discord: 3PiecesOfToast
    [Private]-GSIV:Nyatherra: "Until this moment i forgot that i changed your name to Biff Muffbanger on Lnet"
    Quote Originally Posted by Back View Post
    I am a retard. I'm disabled. I'm poor. I'm black. I'm gay. I'm transgender. I'm a woman. I'm diagnosed with cancer. I'm a human being.
    Quote Originally Posted by time4fun View Post
    So here's the deal- I am just horrible

Quote Originally Posted by Taernath View Post
    You make it sound like industries aren't competitive.. like they don't want to steal other employees from other companies by offering them more money, better benefits and a better work environment.

I've never worked in an industry that "it's the nature of the industry" to treat their employees poorly. What industries are these?
    PC RETARD HALL OF FAME

Quote Originally Posted by Seran-the Current Retard Champion View Post
    Besides, Republicans also block abstinence and contraceptives anyway.
    Quote Originally Posted by Seran-the Current Retard Champion View Post
    Regulating firearms to keep them out of the hands of criminals, the unhinged, etc. meets the first test of the 2nd amendment, 'well-regulated'.

Quote Originally Posted by SHAFT View Post
    You show me a video of me typing that and Ill admit it. (This was the excuse he came up with when he was called out for a really stupid post)
    Quote Originally Posted by Back View Post
    3 million more popular votes. I'd say the numbers speak for themselves. Gerrymandering won for Trump.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Tgo01 View Post
    There is really nothing in this article that is world shattering or unhealthy or unfair, but for some reason Time magazine of all places felt the need to talk about the poor misunderstood game worker.
    As far as I'm concerned, being forced to work 100 hours a week with no extra pay is theft, especially if you're laid off immediately afterwards.

Quote Originally Posted by Parkbandit View Post
    You make it sound like industries aren't competitive.. like they don't want to steal other employees from other companies by offering them more money, better benefits and a better work environment.
    The gaming industry doesn't compete within itself for workers because it doesn't have to. The last time you saw something like that was probably Ion Storm 15 years ago.
    You had better pay your guild dues before you forget. You are 113 months behind.