Page 19 of 50 FirstFirst ... 9171819202129 ... LastLast

Thread: Ruth Bader Ginsburg died

Quote Originally Posted by Methais View Post
    One is being put the death for a heinous crime, usually murder. The other is being put to death for simply existing.

But yes they're totally the same.
    I think the point is that most pro life advocates argue simply that an unborn child is a human life and the sanctity of human life should be protected. In which case said person should also be against the death penalty, which anecdotally I believe isn't generally the case, which negates their pro life anti-abortion argument. In which case the stance becomes: some human life should be protected and others shouldn't. Now you've opened the door to the fact that not all lives are equal when it comes to the life we have been given and someone else can now judge whether that life should be protected or not. But any human judge is bound to be flawed, because we are human. So do we want to then allow for a flawed individual deciding what lives are worth protecting and which aren't? I'd argue that we apply the logic equally across the board: Either abortions are allowed and so is the death penalty, or abortions are outlawed and so is the death penalty.

I do not argue the point because I am not in favor of babies having the opportunity to live their lives. I argue the point because I think logical arguments should be used universally, not selectively. I am very much in favor of all babies having the opportunity of a life. But until we find a way to make adoptions not cost tens of thousands of dollars, provide completely free healthcare for pregnant mothers who may not want their child, provide completely free and easy universal access to whatever contraception a woman wants to use, we have no business trying to argue the point whether abortions should be legal or illegal. If overnight abortion became outlawed in the US, do you think that would stop all abortions in our society from happening overnight? Absolutely not, people will find ways. So instead of both sides being idiotic and fighting to have things 100% their way, if they would get their shit together and accept compromises, many more babies could have the opportunity for life in a much shorter amount of time than what's being done now.

Sorry for the semi-rant, but when there's something as important as a life involved and people can't see past their own ideals in order for true progress to happen, it just burns my bacon.

Quote Originally Posted by Viekn View Post
    the sanctity of human life should be protected.
    That's not me. My position is the sanctity of innocent human life should be protected.

I've always found this counterargument to pro-life people to be bizarre, even when I was pro-abortion myself.

"Oh so you think innocent babies in the womb should be protected huh? I bet you think Hitler deserved to live too!"

Quote Originally Posted by Viekn View Post
    I think the point is that most pro life advocates argue simply that an unborn child is a human life and the sanctity of human life should be protected. In which case said person should also be against the death penalty, which anecdotally I believe isn't generally the case, which negates their pro life anti-abortion argument. In which case the stance becomes: some human life should be protected and others shouldn't. Now you've opened the door to the fact that not all lives are equal when it comes to the life we have been given and someone else can now judge whether that life should be protected or not. But any human judge is bound to be flawed, because we are human. So do we want to then allow for a flawed individual deciding what lives are worth protecting and which aren't? I'd argue that we apply the logic equally across the board: Either abortions are allowed and so is the death penalty, or abortions are outlawed and so is the death penalty.

I do not argue the point because I am not in favor of babies having the opportunity to live their lives. I argue the point because I think logical arguments should be used universally, not selectively. I am very much in favor of all babies having the opportunity of a life. But until we find a way to make adoptions not cost tens of thousands of dollars, provide completely free healthcare for pregnant mothers who may not want their child, provide completely free and easy universal access to whatever contraception a woman wants to use, we have no business trying to argue the point whether abortions should be legal or illegal. If overnight abortion became outlawed in the US, do you think that would stop all abortions in our society from happening overnight? Absolutely not, people will find ways. So instead of both sides being idiotic and fighting to have things 100% their way, if they would get their shit together and accept compromises, many more babies could have the opportunity for life in a much shorter amount of time than what's being done now.

Sorry for the semi-rant, but when there's something as important as a life involved and people can't see past their own ideals in order for true progress to happen, it just burns my bacon.
    I think there is a definite distinction between life and innocent life. While I'm pro-choice up to a certain point.. I can understand the stance of Pro-life people who are also for the death penalty.
    PC RETARD HALL OF FAME

Quote Originally Posted by Seran-the Current Retard Champion View Post
    Besides, Republicans also block abstinence and contraceptives anyway.
    Regulating firearms to keep them out of the hands of criminals, the unhinged, etc. meets the first test of the 2nd amendment, 'well-regulated'.

Quote Originally Posted by SHAFT View Post
    You show me a video of me typing that and Ill admit it. (This was the excuse he came up with when he was called out for a really stupid post)
    Quote Originally Posted by Back View Post
    3 million more popular votes. I'd say the numbers speak for themselves. Gerrymandering won for Trump.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Tgo01 View Post
    That's not me. My position is the sanctity of innocent human life should be protected.

I've always found this counterargument to pro-life people to be bizarre, even when I was pro-abortion myself.

"Oh so you think innocent babies in the womb should be protected huh? I bet you think Hitler deserved to live too!"
    No innocent people have ever been executed in our court system.... Oh wait...
    No, I am not Drauz in game.

Quote Originally Posted by drauz View Post
    That's only because Kamala Harris couldn't cover up that guy's evidence that proved him innocent any longer.
    Discord: 3PiecesOfToast
    [Private]-GSIV:Nyatherra: "Until this moment i forgot that i changed your name to Biff Muffbanger on Lnet"
    I am a retard. I'm disabled. I'm poor. I'm black. I'm gay. I'm transgender. I'm a woman. I'm diagnosed with cancer. I'm a human being.
    Quote Originally Posted by time4fun View Post
    So here's the deal- I am just horrible

Quote Originally Posted by drauz View Post
    The other odd argument; since our justice system isn't 100% perfect then we shouldn't try at all. No prison for anybody! An innocent person might be sent to prison!

If life is considered at conception, and that zygote is considered a human life, I’m assuming this unborn child has right? Or do they only get rights once they are born? Would a pregnant mother and her husband be able to claim this unborn child as a dependent, for let’s say tax purposes? Can we get this unborn child a social security number, etc?

When it comes to child birth/abortion, I always think of 2pac. “Since a man can’t make one, he has no right to tell a women when and where to create one.”
    Last edited by Solkern; 09-22-2020 at 01:40 PM.
    The idiot award goes to…

Quote Originally Posted by Neveragain View Post
    The Constitution is not the Declaration of Independence. (I'm not at all surprised that you don't know this)
    An hour later:
    Quote Originally Posted by Neveragain View Post
    "That to secure these rights, governments are instituted among men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed, that whenever any form of government becomes destructive of these ends, it is the right of the people to alter or to abolish it, and to institute new government." ~ The Constitution

Blog Entries

The other odd argument; since our justice system isn't 100% perfect then we shouldn't try at all. No prison for anybody! An innocent person might be sent to prison!
    Nice strawman you got there. You can let someone out of prison if they are found innocent and give them money to try and compensate. You cannot however unkill someone. We've been trying for a long time with no results.

Nice try though.
    No, I am not Drauz in game.

Am I the only one here that would like to see penal colonies on remote islands come back in to an option? Why spend all of our tax dollars to put someone to death. Send them to an island that's minimally equipped for survival and let them either have a chance at life...or not.

Quote Originally Posted by Solkern View Post
    If life is considered at conception, and that zygote is considered a human life, I’m assuming this unborn child has right? Or do they only get rights once they are born? Would a pregnant mother and her husband be able to claim this unborn child as a dependent, for let’s say tax purposes? Can we get this unborn child a social security number, etc?

When it comes to child birth/abortion, I always think of 2pac. “Since a man can’t make one, he has no right to tell a women when and where to create one.”
    When you post this type of stupidity.. all I can see is this..

PC RETARD HALL OF FAME

Besides, Republicans also block abstinence and contraceptives anyway.
    Regulating firearms to keep them out of the hands of criminals, the unhinged, etc. meets the first test of the 2nd amendment, 'well-regulated'.

Quote Originally Posted by SHAFT View Post
    You show me a video of me typing that and Ill admit it. (This was the excuse he came up with when he was called out for a really stupid post)
    3 million more popular votes. I'd say the numbers speak for themselves. Gerrymandering won for Trump.