Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Republicans to Repeal Birthright Citizenship

1. Default

The reason I say this is that it's my understanding that the political right are largely in favor of a free market. Immigrants increase the pool of labor from which free market capitalism is able to draw from. Increasing the labor competition reduces the cost of employees on businesses.
    The ones that migrate within the rules of the country may have this effect, but if they're following the rules they're also protected by minimum wage laws and therefore have very little actual impact on wages.

This issue isn't the legal immigrant, who applies for citizenship and becomes naturalized, and pays taxes, and doesn't send the majority of the money they earn back to Mexico or India or wherever.

The issue is illegal immigration, immigrants that come in under the radar, come in on visas and never leave, sneak in to give birth to anchor babies, etc. They're often working off the books, for cash, which they often send back to their home countries.

And they're costing us billions.

I agree, every man has a right to work for a living.
    Within the rules and laws of the society in which he seeks to work.
    If he is not following those rules and laws, and his presence is creating expense and hardship for the people in the country that are following the rules, then no. He does not have that right.

Quote Originally Posted by thefarmer View Post
    Go do something about it then.

any suggestions? I should try to get a job at the fucking paralyzed farm but only if they off health ins...
    We'll drink, and drink, and drink, and drink, and drink, and drink and fight! Hey!

I've seen something before, where if you are born in The United States, you are a citizen of the United States. It's pretty much the coolest most awesome thing in the world, I guess.

We should all be thrown into a random caste system, though, and have the untouchables assigned to a particular race, ethnicity, gender, sexual preference, creed, religious denomination, height, allergies, favorite rap artist, reciprocation of oral.

And GemStone fame.

The Statue of Liberty says something like, "Give us your poor your tired your huddled masses longing to be free." But the French gave that monolith to us, so we should do exactly the opposite of any inscriptions on French statues given to us say. Word the fuck up bitches.
    Quote Originally Posted by Anticor
    If you and Jar Jar Binks had a child it would rule the world.
    Quote Originally Posted by Stanley Burrell
    Wikka wikka my nikka yo yo yo yo: CHECK IT. Tha thang in the thang and bedump bedump da BEBANG knowwhatIsayin?!

Quote Originally Posted by TheWitch View Post
    The ones that migrate within the rules of the country may have this effect, but if they're following the rules they're also protected by minimum wage laws and therefore have very little actual impact on wages.

This issue isn't the legal immigrant, who applies for citizenship and becomes naturalized, and pays taxes, and doesn't send the majority of the money they earn back to Mexico or India or wherever.

The issue is illegal immigration, immigrants that come in under the radar, come in on visas and never leave, sneak in to give birth to anchor babies, etc. They're often working off the books, for cash, which they often send back to their home countries.

And they're costing us billions.

I agree, every man has a right to work for a living.
    Within the rules and laws of the society in which he seeks to work.
    If he is not following those rules and laws, and his presence is creating expense and hardship for the people in the country that are following the rules, then no. He does not have that right.
    Yeah, the minimum wage thing is not part of the free market ideal, so that's true.

You actually hit on something else that needs to be added to the list, the sending cash abroad topic. I'm not entirely sure how to respond to that one. I'm inclined to continue to denounce, via sarcasm, the free market. Whether they keep the money in the states or send it abroad, isn't it their money to do with what they want?

Granted, this would still not fix the problem that illegal workers receiving under the table money send it abroad without taxes.

I think the issue of employing illegal immigrants is a problem on the employer's side, and there should be oversight on employment practices.

5. Default

Quote Originally Posted by Cido View Post
    Yeah, the minimum wage thing is not part of the free market ideal, so that's true.

You actually hit on something else that needs to be added to the list, the sending cash abroad topic. I'm not entirely sure how to respond to that one. I'm inclined to continue to denounce, via sarcasm, the free market. Whether they keep the money in the states or send it abroad, isn't it their money to do with what they want?

Granted, this would still not fix the problem that illegal workers receiving under the table money send it abroad without taxes.

I think the issue of employing illegal immigrants is a problem on the employer's side, and there should be oversight on employment practices.
    Of course it's their money, and if they earned it legitimately, and paid taxes on it to help pay for all the great things about this country that are why they came here in the first place, and fed and clothed their children without government assistance and are not living in rent stabilized housing and are not using public assistance of any kind... and if there's still some left to send to India, by all means! Here's a stamp!

To your last point, it is on the employers, I agree, but it's also on us as consumers to a certain extent. IE, Ask your lawn service if their workers are all documented. If they won't or can't answer, find a different lawn service - or do your own lawn and save $40 a week!

this is stupid. Birthright is fundamental and repealing it is dumb.

I hate illegal immigration just as much as the next guy. The answer to fix it is...

1. Build a motherfucking wall. If the chinese could build a wall to keep on the mongols thousands of years ago, we should be able to do it now. I mean a good wall, with a moat, filled with crocodiles, that goes deep, with razor wire. Concrete and steel.

2. Fuck sanctuary cities. Make it federal policy that all federal money is withheld from any city that adopts "sanctuary city" rules. No money for roads, for after school programs, for parks, the purse is closed. Either those cities play game and report criminal illegals they arrest, or no more federal dollars.

3. Legalize the people already here (who aren't criminals other than their border crossing), I'd rather they be legal and paying taxes than for my tax dollars to be spent on deporting 10 million people. Do you know how expensive it is to deport 10 million people?

4. Make it easier to come here legally, but also put on more reporting requirements. No more temporary visa people just staying when it expires. Make it a crime akin to harboring a fugitive to help someone avoid immigration authorities.

5. temporary worker program.

But to say kids born here aren't US citizens is fucking retarded, it will not fix anything.

Quote Originally Posted by TheWitch View Post
    To your last point, it is on the employers, I agree, but it's also on us as consumers to a certain extent. IE, Ask your lawn service if their workers are all documented. If they won't or can't answer, find a different lawn service - or do your own lawn and save $40 a week!
    In general terms, you're right. After talking it out w/ a coworker, it seems like there's a need for some kind of gov't program that checks on employers.

I say this, because we would all have to be patriots over free marketeers in order to make it our responsibility to make sure our contractors etc. are only hiring legal immigrants.

Individually, a person is most interested in getting the lowest price for their goods. Some patriots would be interested in doing the "right" thing by asking about the employee status, but it would take a consolidated effort to make sure we effectively influenced employers to hire only legals.

There's a problem with this since a free market shuns gov't intervention.

I'm not sure how to end this comment, so I'll just hit submit.

The funniest thing in this entire thread is there are people that thing the US is actually a free market .

9. Default

Quote Originally Posted by Cido View Post
    In general terms, you're right. After talking it out w/ a coworker, it seems like there's a need for some kind of gov't program that checks on employers.

I say this, because we would all have to be patriots over free marketeers in order to make it our responsibility to make sure our contractors etc. are only hiring legal immigrants.

Individually, a person is most interested in getting the lowest price for their goods. Some patriots would be interested in doing the "right" thing by asking about the employee status, but it would take a consolidated effort to make sure we effectively influenced employers to hire only legals.

There's a problem with this since a free market shuns gov't intervention.

I'm not sure how to end this comment, so I'll just hit submit.
    Yea, this isn't really a free market anymore, it hasn't been for a long time if it ever truly was. And I used to be much, much less of a "patriot" as far as buying American or considering whether the company I buy from is following the rules or breaking them before making my purchasing decision. Which makes no difference in the big picture, but it makes me feel better.

That was also before so much of our manufacturing got shipped overseas and the jobs with them, before the nanny state decided to treat illegals better than it treats citizens in some key respects and before it became apparent that in a global marketplace, we're the only ones not actively engaged in protectionism and we're screwing ourselves in the process.

I halfway agree with CRB, just let the ones that are here have status. But I do agree with the idea of the changing the citizenship amendment, that's a huge carrot.

Texas Republican Rep. Louie Gohmert alleged Wednesday that al Qaeda operatives were being taught to “act like Hispanic” and cross the border illegally into the United States.

“We know al Qaeda has camps over with the drug cartels on the other side of the Mexican border,” Gohmert said on C-SPAN. “We know people are being trained to come in and act like Hispanic when they’re radical Islamists. We know these things are happening. It’s just insane not to protect ourselves.”
    Continue Reading

Gohmert, a vocal opponent of immigration reform, has previously argued the United States should end birthright citizenship because of the possibility of al Qaeda or other terrorist organizations could brings women to the United States to have children.

More...
    The anchor baby issue is back!

They showed how the infiltration could work on Southpark..
    http://www.southparkstudios.com/clip.../mexican-spies