Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: SNES Classic Announced

Quote Originally Posted by Tgo01 View Post
    20+1 games pre-installed is a weird way of saying 21 games pre-installed.
    I think the +1 refers to Star Fox 2, since it was never released previously.

Quote Originally Posted by Kembal View Post
    I think it's for people like me who loved these games, aren't planning to buy a Switch (my last system is a Wii), and aren't willing to monkey around with an emulator. I suspect that's a lot of people.

Shocked that Chrono Trigger isn't on the list though. Easily one of the best RPGs I've ever played. (hooray for Earthbound though - was irritated it was never released for Wii)
    Odd that they are calling it FFVI by it's old numbered title, since the naming convention has been updated for a long time now. That game is one of the best SNES titles in my opinion. Followed by Chrono Trigger and FFIV (II).

I have the SNES emulator on my phone with a controller, so I have around 80 RPGs I play from time to time that way.

3. Default

Quote Originally Posted by Wyrom View Post
    Odd that they are calling it FFVI by it's old numbered title, since the naming convention has been updated for a long time now. That game is one of the best SNES titles in my opinion. Followed by Chrono Trigger and FFIV (II).

I have the SNES emulator on my phone with a controller, so I have around 80 RPGs I play from time to time that way.
    When in doubt, BLAME THE LAWYERS

That data released as FFIII is likely legally distinct from the same game released as FFVI in the states, thus requiring a new round of approvals, while Nintendo was already approved to release it as FFIII.

Just a guess, but it's either that or something equally silly. Plus, nostalgia says to call it like it was.

Quote Originally Posted by ArchSenex View Post
    When in doubt, BLAME THE LAWYERS

That data released as FFIII is likely legally distinct from the same game released as FFVI in the states, thus requiring a new round of approvals, while Nintendo was already approved to release it as FFIII.

Just a guess, but it's either that or something equally silly. Plus, nostalgia says to call it like it was.
    Yeah, I'm sure it's more about the marketing tactics.

I'm betting these will be selling for $150+ soon after everyone is sold out.
    Last edited by Wyrom; 06-26-2017 at 04:51 PM.

Seeing that list of games just makes me wonder why they don't make multiple version of these, for different game types. I would absolutely try to buy one that was all RPG oriented, going down the list the only games that I wasn't "meh" about playing again were the RPGs. I'm sure others would prefer one that was loaded all with the Contra or Kirby style action games.

6. Default

Quote Originally Posted by Gelston View Post
    No, they don't give a fuck about the secondary market, they do know we love instant gratification and the feeling of exclusivity. Every game company does this with EVERY console since forever. Release small amounts so the hype stays up, they get sold out quick, then release another small batch and continue. People are stupid when they think there might not be anymore, so they go and buy when they may not have ever bought one at all. Nintendo doesn't care if you're buying 5 for yourself or to resale, they just know they sold 5 units. This is a marketing tactic that is proven time and time again.

Watch, they'll start this shit up again after the cut the SNES Classic. Nintendo knows exactly what they are doing.
    I think thats a little too conspiratorial. The underlying tactic is sound, but letting a market cool off for a product for a year plus is very dangerous. Established businesses will generally go for a bird in the hand over the two in the bush. Not to mention what that costs in renegotiating manufacturing agreements and starting up production again. You would either have to pre negotiate a factory fitting itself to manufacture the product and then stop for some time, hopefully filling other contracts during that non production time and then refitting itself to either make the same product or a slightly upgraded version. During that time any possible changes will cause increased overhead in costs.

The first units sold out by sheer demand, people didn't go in expecting the unit to be limited. Instead, Nintendo turned around and said "oops we didnt make enough and uh oh yeah we aren't making anymore." It has come out that Nintendo is now possibly playing that game with the SNES classic , saying they can't guarentee any units will be produced/shipped in 2018. That's either a play on the scarcity effect or a rare case of honest advertising.

The amount of forward thinking and planning that would have to go into stopping and starting production like that is far too comically evil corporation tactic. Look back at how many "Christmas toy of the year" products couldnt meet demand while hot and then never regained their momentum when they finally did ship product.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by chalion View Post
    I think thats a little too conspiratorial. The underlying tactic is sound, but letting a market cool off for a product for a year plus is very dangerous. Established businesses will generally go for a bird in the hand over the two in the bush. Not to mention what that costs in renegotiating manufacturing agreements and starting up production again. You would either have to pre negotiate a factory fitting itself to manufacture the product and then stop for some time, hopefully filling other contracts during that non production time and then refitting itself to either make the same product or a slightly upgraded version. During that time any possible changes will cause increased overhead in costs.

The first units sold out by sheer demand, people didn't go in expecting the unit to be limited. Instead, Nintendo turned around and said "oops we didnt make enough and uh oh yeah we aren't making anymore." It has come out that Nintendo is now possibly playing that game with the SNES classic , saying they can't guarentee any units will be produced/shipped in 2018. That's either a play on the scarcity effect or a rare case of honest advertising.

The amount of forward thinking and planning that would have to go into stopping and starting production like that is far too comically evil corporation tactic. Look back at how many "Christmas toy of the year" products couldnt meet demand while hot and then never regained their momentum when they finally did ship product.
    The NES market was cooled off for like 25 years, I think they're safe.
    Ceterum censeo Carthaginem esse delendam

My fiance collects NES and SNES games so whenever we get nostalgic we just whip that badboy out and play. I did buy him an NES classic though, for giggles.

That being said, with the way the Switch release went down it wouldn't surprise me if Nintendo severely underestimates the fanbase for this.
    Last edited by Jhynnifer; 06-26-2017 at 05:19 PM.
    You slap Walkar's cheek, hard.
    He continues, "I've decided that I'm not going to let you serve community service, so don't get your hopes up. To this aim, you may either pay the fine of 50000000 silvers plus any other outstanding debts you may owe, or serve a total of 120 minutes of incarceration. You may ANSWER me either FINE or INCARCERATION as your choice. But I digress. Choose quickly, now, lest I hold you in contempt of court for wasting my time."

Quote Originally Posted by Jhynnifer View Post
    we just whip that badboy out and play.
    Fuck, where's Tisket to appreciate this with me?
    Looking for: krodera items, the gleaming krodera long knife, oldstyle katanas

August 20, 2006
    >just ban
    You are currently banished from Wehnimer's Landing.

>ask clerk about citizen
    The clerk says, "Hrrrm, Mogonis, you do seem to be eligible for full citizenship. Just WRITE your name in the book if you wish to make it official."

>write book
    You sign your name into the citizenship registration book, fully agreeing to the duties and privileges full citizenship provides you.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by chalion View Post
    Nintendo is just consistently terrible at predicting western market demand.
    You had better pay your guild dues before you forget. You are 113 months behind.