Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Narost - add a new map

1. Default

I deleted the map everywhere I could. Issue should be resolved.

Quote Originally Posted by Allereli View Post
    I have told Mice this privately, but I'll let everyone know publicly. I thought it was a given, but you should not completely copy someone's mapping style. If someone is nice enough to release their source files, at least try to make it your own.

While there is a "special thanks" there is no clear indication that the mapping style is mine.
    I don't think any sane person could have reasonably assumed he was supposed to modify the styles, in fact you can make a very logical argument that all of the maps, regardless of author should have the exact same style, for uniformity and ease of use.

If you want to make the argument that all of the maps with said style should have attribution, that's fine, but to not voice your expectations up front is your fault, not his.

Let's not deter people from making public contributions to the community.
    Last edited by m444w; 12-01-2016 at 02:17 PM.
    Discord: Ondreian#3875

I have turned PMs off on these forums, if you want to chat, use Discord to contact me.

knifty

Quote Originally Posted by m444w View Post
    I don't think any sane person could have reasonably assumed he was supposed to modify the styles, in fact you can make a very logical argument that all of the maps, regardless of author should have the exact same style, for uniformity and ease of use.

If you want to make the argument that all of the maps with said style should have attribution, that's fine, but to not voice your expectations up front is your fault, not his.

Let's not deter people from making public contributions to the community.
    I told him exactly how to write the attribution, if he decides not to follow through, that's on him, not me. I said it's fine to use the style and attribute it properly. I don't do much in terms of art or anything creative for that matter, and I don't put my name on a vast majority of contributions I make to the community, but my maps are something I put effort into making my own, just like Rozy has her own style.
    PB: One day you'll need this number: 988.

4. Default

I told him exactly how to write the attribution, if he decides not to follow through, that's on him, not me. I said it's fine to use the style and attribute it properly. I don't do much in terms of art or anything creative for that matter, and I don't put my name on a vast majority of contributions I make to the community, but my maps are something I put effort into making my own, just like Rozy has her own style.
    Ok last response as to not drag this out further...I too put a lot of time and effort into making my silvergate map. I openly admit I copied your map's font and colors. I noted your name for it and acknowledged you everywhere I could before this even became an issue. I didn't try reinventing the wheel and I felt your twilight hall map was beautiful.

Since I drew the map from scratch, saying you made the map with me is not something I'd consider.

That said I respect your feelings and where you're coming from so I deleted my map out of respect for you. I take the notion of plagiarism seriously and it is my hope the issue is now resolved and we harbor no ill feelings.

-Mice

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Blog Entries

My God Allereli, calm your bitchiness. Other people can do things for the game too.
    Ceterum censeo Carthaginem esse delendam

Quote Originally Posted by Mice View Post
    saying you made the map with me is not something I'd consider.

That said I respect your feelings and where you're coming from so I deleted my map out of respect for you. I take the notion of plagiarism seriously and it is my hope the issue is now resolved and we harbor no ill feelings.

-Mice
    I didn't say to take your name off of it, here is the exact attribution, you still keep your name on it.

Map design by Allereli Lissina Faendryl
    "Map style" is also fine

Quote Originally Posted by Gelston View Post
    My God Allereli, calm your bitchiness. Other people can do things for the game too.
    Yes, they can, but as Mice acknowledged, it was plagiarism.

Yes, they can, but as Mice acknowledged, it was plagiarism.
    First of all, copying a color scheme is not plagiarism, especially if he cited you, which he did.

Second, Mice is a fine guy. I bet if you had asked him in a respectful, friendly manner, "Hey, I'm not satisfied with the way you credited my work, could you please post it [another way]?", then (a) he would have done it, (b) we would still have a map of Silvergate, and (c) you wouldn't come off as nasty, rude, and bitter. You should try that next time, it works way better for everyone.

Quote Originally Posted by myriad View Post
    First of all, copying a color scheme is not plagiarism, especially if he cited you, which he did.

Second, Mice is a fine guy. I bet if you had asked him in a respectful, friendly manner, "Hey, I'm not satisfied with the way you credited my work, could you please post it [another way]?", then (a) he would have done it, (b) we would still have a map of Silvergate, and (c) you wouldn't come off as nasty, rude, and bitter. You should try that next time, it works way better for everyone.
    I did ask him privately to credit me in a different way. I posted here because people were taking my Burrow map as his, too. The map of Silvergate is still on the Wiki, it has not been removed.
    Last edited by Allereli; 12-01-2016 at 02:59 PM.

Change the map to plain black and white

See if we can Tsoran back to make a similar complaint.
    Mithrilschlong, 2015-03-10 to slightly later on 2015-03-10. You will not be forgotten!
    usable Meteor Swarm, late 2020-12-30 to early 2020-12-31. You will also not be forgotten!