Page 21 of 21 FirstFirst ... 11192021

Thread: First Thing You See On LNet When Logging In

Quote Originally Posted by audioserf View Post
    When I first brought this up yesterday I 100% thought the GM would wake up, see it, go "oh shit" and change it to like, Fjarn's Yarn Barn, how fuckin easy would that be? But no, they added a single 'n' and were like 'there it's fixed' and even as a dumb shitposting asshole I was somewhat flabbergasted of how useless and condescending of a response that was to an easily fixable situation
    Simutronics GMs are not known for their stellar customer service. When it actually happens, it's shocking.
    PC RETARD HALL OF FAME

Quote Originally Posted by Seran-the Current Retard Champion View Post
    Besides, Republicans also block abstinence and contraceptives anyway.
    Regulating firearms to keep them out of the hands of criminals, the unhinged, etc. meets the first test of the 2nd amendment, 'well-regulated'.

Quote Originally Posted by SHAFT View Post
    You show me a video of me typing that and Ill admit it. (This was the excuse he came up with when he was called out for a really stupid post)
    Quote Originally Posted by Back View Post
    3 million more popular votes. I'd say the numbers speak for themselves. Gerrymandering won for Trump.

Quote Originally Posted by HouseofElves View Post
    Yeah it happened. But it's not an NPC it's just a shop name. And then the GM like changed it not long after they saw it on Discord. And apologized. The GM said they really didn't have to change it but they did and to move on. And then five of his friends just kept getting tilted about it after the fact.
    The alchemist in Hinterwilds is named Sparkfinger.

Also:

You see Renowned Lord Methais Sparkfinger the Wizard.

I'll be contacting Simu for my reparations this afternoon.
    Discord: 3PiecesOfToast
    [Private]-GSIV:Nyatherra: "Until this moment i forgot that i changed your name to Biff Muffbanger on Lnet"
    I am a retard. I'm disabled. I'm poor. I'm black. I'm gay. I'm transgender. I'm a woman. I'm diagnosed with cancer. I'm a human being.
    Quote Originally Posted by time4fun View Post
    So here's the deal- I am just horrible

Quote Originally Posted by Methais View Post
    The alchemist in Hinterwilds is named Sparkfinger.

Also:

I'll be contacting Simu for my reparations this afternoon.
    God, you should be forced to change your last name. That is embarrassing.
    PC RETARD HALL OF FAME

Regulating firearms to keep them out of the hands of criminals, the unhinged, etc. meets the first test of the 2nd amendment, 'well-regulated'.

You show me a video of me typing that and Ill admit it. (This was the excuse he came up with when he was called out for a really stupid post)
    3 million more popular votes. I'd say the numbers speak for themselves. Gerrymandering won for Trump.

Blog Entries

brb making a character called Wyromm
    You had better pay your guild dues before you forget. You are 113 months behind.

Quote Originally Posted by Methais View Post
    PC RETARD HALL OF FAME

Quote Originally Posted by Tgo01 View Post
    I did the work for you all so you can see the drama unfold as it did on Discord:

Nidal
    There is a post-cap giant warrior named Bjarn who still plays... just a heads-up as you might want to change the npc name. Bjarn (the warrior) has had that name for a long time.

Irondwarf
    Fame List -- Warriors -- Starting Rank 1
    __
    Rank| Name | Fame |Lvl|G| Race
    ------------------------------------------------
    6 Glaves 1,750,196,353 100 M Halflin
    12 Vindicate 1,425,004,634 100 M Giant
    17 Roblar 1,230,026,950 100 M Giant
    27 Azanoth 1,057,363,216 100 M Giant
    38 Lexbubba 943,669,661 100 M Giant
    51 Whayle 786,916,009 100 M Halflin
    58 Venruki 698,468,767 100 M Dwarf
    77 Attalynx 573,793,225 100 M Giant
    85 Kerl 509,265,114 100 M Human
    90 Raythiel 500,082,219 100 M Human
    98 Bjarn 475,178,727 100 M Giant

Dendum
    Maybe he opened a yarn shop

Lithyia
    Well congrats to him, he now has a yarn barn. LOL!

Xynwen
    Maybe Bjarn who sells yarn is wanted somewhere and needs to hide behind bigger shoulders!

Kiki
    Going into the yarn business to get away from a life of raiding ships. He became too well-known, wanted on every coast from Torre to Atan Irith.

Nidal
    This is all very funny but hopefully the NPC gets changed. The idea that an NPC can be created with the exact same name as an existing character seems real weird.

Kiki
    I'm sure as soon as Casil sees this, he'll address it.

Nidal
    I think so too ��

Shan
    (it's definitely not the first time this has happened!)

Xeraphina
    So, to clarify on this point: Names do not get to be used multiple times in game unless someone renames a character and that name becomes available. So an NPC in this case cannot share the same name as a player character. That being said, in the cart, I see nothing that indicates that an actual NPC is in the wagon selling the yarn. It was just a name that was used for the shop and the announcement.
    The only time we may run into this is not a GM-run NPC character, and I can confirm that there are some "automated" NPCs who share names with each other, and with characters.

Xynwen
    Definitely what Xeraphina said. We cannot roll up a "used" name any more than a player can. But stories, names of those NPCs that aren't "live" (aka like the old warrior or the flower girl....physical things that roam about but aren't characters logged in from an account), shop merchants when you ORDER, etc....all of those can and probably do sometimes overlap names

Flapjack
    Shouldn't it be a requirement for GM's to use NAMECHECK before they name a shop? We have to do it if we don't want to be fumbling to come up with a name when making a new character.

Xeraphina
    Characters are not the same as shops.

Flapjack
    Yea but this is a warrior on FAME 1, it's like naming a shop Roblar's Cobbler or something lol

Ptolemy
    I feel like this isnt a huge problem. Im sure it will get sorted

Nidal
    Bleeds Seeds, for all your gardening needs

Xeraphina
    Blood makes the grass grow.

Ptolemy
    Its not even unique. Greth the MH bar owner and very prominent NPC is a name shared with a PC

Kiki
    Who even pays attention to fame?
    It's such an arbitrary list

Irondwarf
    People who are on it

Kiki
    Like there was a level 70 paladin on there for a while

Nidal
    It could be Roblar or it could be a level 3 warrior who started last week I don't think either's name should be a shop in game unless it's their playershop. I'm not gonna keep harping on it and I'm confident the shop name will get updated

Flapjack
    Exactly

Kiki
    I'll start racking up my bug reports

Peam
    This seems like a very simple fix.

Xynwen
    I've let Casil know, and I'm sure when he's awake and functional, he'll look into options. Just note, that it isn't inherently wrong (as others have pointed out with like the Greth situation), but we understand the points being made, and you know we try hard to make sure we minimize issues whenever possible.

Nidal
    Thank you

Xynwen
    (Also, maybe Bjarn would be tickled! You never know!)

Iskandr
    I see a FotF match in the making: Bjarn vs Bjarn inside Bjarn's Yarn Barn inside Yander' Farm Barn

Xeraphina
    The winner is: Bjarn!

Iskandr
    The winner is everyone ��

Kiki
    Except Yander. Who is gonna have to clean up this mess. Or leave that to Krys

Teveriel
    I’m on it. Can confirm I don’t care.

Casil
    Well things got spicy in here while I was asleep. I added an extra n to the shop name, since Bjarn isn't around to tell me if it bugs him or not.

Casil
    Hardly.

Illumiada
    i don't at all mean to be disrespectful, and i definitely understand that you guys get incoming all day about complaints, but this doesn't seem like a compromise to me in a place where simply changing the name entirely wouldn't be super difficult (even going to say, fjarn! would be giving a bit more). you have a player who RPs a warlord who doesn't want a cute lil yarn shop named after him. that seems reasonable to me.

Kiki
    But what about the player Farn?
    Who has a root beer named after him in Solhaven

Illumiada
    i don't really see how that's salient

Kiki
    If the concern is that Bjarnn is too close to Bjarn how is Fjarn not too close to Farn?

Illumiada
    again, not trying to be a jerk, but seems like bjarn the player is p upset about this.
    good point @Kiki, the name was just a suggestion. i'd personally love to see something that didn't have a player character name at all

Kiki
    But what I'm saying is that's kind of a big, almost impossible ask.

Casil
    It's extremely difficult to have a name that isn't remotely close to another character ever created.

Illumiada
    sure

Kiki
    Last night Lady Maleise came to visit Ta'Vaalor (An npc and merchant)

Casil
    I have not heard from Bjarn on this at this time.

Kiki
    I have played Maleisse since 2010.
    It's totally reasonable to me that there would be variations on that.

Illumiada
    @Kiki if your point is bjarn the player should just get over it, you've made it

Kiki
    My point is I just don't think it's feasible for players or GMs to go through every possible iteration of an existing character name.

Illumiada
    sure
    i'm picking up what you're putting down. i don't think it's black and white, but it's okay that we disagree

Lithyia
    There's way too much spiciness in here over the name of a temporary yarn wagon. Listen, if @Casil wants to change it and name it after Lithyia, she'll be thrilled.

Illumiada
    i'll let bjarn the player weigh in tho

Lithyia
    Lithyrrrsss yrrrrn brrrrn
    Seriously, @Casil I want this now. Plzzzz?

Casil
    So, thus far I have not heard actually from Bjarn yet. If Bjarn is upset about it, I implore him to reach out; I have only heard about it from other people who have pointed out that Bjarn is an existing character name.

Tikba
    I didn't want to bring this up, but I've had a character named Yarne for a decade or so
    (not true)

Lithyia
    Yarne's Barn O Yarn?

Xynwen
    Bjarn's Yarn Barn is perfectly acceptable just FYI
    It's been updated to the also perfectly acceptable Bjarnn's Yarn Barn out of courtesy for the consternation expressed here by players who are NOT Bjarn.
    I believe that's a valid response, and please, let's go ahead and move on to a new topic?

Machtig
    this all could have been avoided if there was a system you could name check with to avoid duplicating player character names, but that's probably a chore to implement

Flapjack
    I'm just catching up, I still think it's a very reasonable request that GM's use an existing feature of the game, namely NAMECHECK, before they create any NPC names, whether it be just the name of a shop or a GM controlled character.
    I also think that it's very cheeky and bordering on unprofessional for a GM to just be like "I'LL JUST ADD AN EXTRA LETTER TEE HEE" as a solution.
    Also, I am on the fame lists and I'd be PEEVED if a GM made Flapjack's Snack Shack

Nidal
    Not going to rehash anything above but just to note I think it's pretty obvious that all of us non-TV regulars posting all of a sudden are friends of the person who plays Bjarn, which is why we've raised this, and we've let them know, if they decide to come by and chime in they will.

Xeraphina
    GM Xynwen has asked that we move this along.

Flapjack
    We're your customers giving feedback on something that we don't like, and you're basically telling us to drop it. Not a good look!
    I'm done.

Xeraphina
    The feedback has been heard.

Mirkk
    Love all the gift wagon offerings this year! Definitely some wonderful items/themes!

Loralaii
    Ew, being dismissive is gross. Js

Valyrka
    The gm asked the player to reached out and I am sure will take appropriate action if there is an issue. No one is being dismissive and I am sure it will be handle with the player involved

Lithyia
    My offer still stands to name it after me. I'd be thrilled and honored. LOL!

Kiki
    This sense of weird entitlement isn't a good look. It was already addressed by staff and they've asked everyone to move on.

Casil
    Speaking of gift wagon offerings, there's a new candy cane rack up for your gift package-stuffing needs.

Loralaii
    And yet here you are....

Irondwarf
    Hey I'm the player of bjarn, I don't want to be a yarn merchant on my warrior i've spent years leveling, thank you for backing me into the corner and making me now known as the yarn karen this is literally why everyone hates interacting with staff on discord, truly professional.

Lithyia
    OMG seriously? Enough.

Kiki
    This is also probably why staff gets burnt out doing nice things.

Irondwarf
    Good riddance

Flapjack
    Sorry you had to doxx yourself @Irondwarf

Jastalyn
    ��

Casil
    No one had to doxx themselves. My DMs were open.

Valyrka
    This has more than run its course. The two parties can discuss in private. Please move on from it here and let those involved handle it.

Flapjack
    Just LOL

Valyrka
    I am going to ask for the last time that it stops.

Flapjack
    FWIW it really sucks to come into discord and have the GM's join in mocking you with the local sycophant crew. Enjoy your little echo chamber

Peam
    Gosh, sorry for bringing up a legitimate concern and being upset when it's handwaved away and then dealt with in the most dismissive manner possible.

I'll leave y'all to your echo chamber.

Machtig
    yeah, pretty clear statement that GM's don't say anything about the people ridiculing and mocking but draw a line in the sand when it comes to others

Xynwen
    Guys, we did update the name to not be a character name. We asked you to move on, because it was fixed. We did not ask a player to out themselves on Discord, as you could have DM'd or assisted in game to let us know, and I'm sorry that was not clear.

We appreciate feedback, for sure, and we moved to address it. The request to stop was not just about the people who brought it to our attention, but also about the people who were questioning why it was brought up or saying it was fine, etc.....so no one had to feel badly about bringing it up. That was literally the point of requesting you move on.
    It is appreciated that we are all so passionate about the game, and while yes, we do see it as a minor thing, we have updated it so it isn't the same as an existing character, and we appreciate that you let us know it was a concern.

Teveriel
    Somewhere in Scandinavia, Bjarn Svensson and Bjarn Olafsson are about to throw down to determine who’s the One True Bjarn once and for all

Nidal
    I don't think I'm usually adversarial with staff. I am not trying to be now. I do honestly think that 'ok we added an 'n' ' was a shocking response and to me seemed petty and like it was blowing off legitimate concerns. Disappointed that's what happened. I'll see myself out of this channel now.

Thandiwe ��
    Hello Irondwarf, I'm sorry that you are so upset and stressed by this newest revelation. When we check for a name it only checks for the letter of what we are requesting. It can also be hard after years for us to know which names are still around and not simply archived. As has been pointed out this is being addressed by the GMs that it affects and we are going to work toward a resolution that will make everyone happy. Should an issue like this arise again, then you are welcome to write feedback as it may be more discrete so that you aren't feeling awkward about your request and others aren't pointing fingers. At this time I would like everyone to simply take a step back, take a beat, and let us work to find a happy resolution. Many of us are still working at our Day Jobs and changes can be slow during this time.
    And it sounds like the shop is already changed.

Irondwarf
    Oh I did write feedback

Thandiwe ��
    Okay, we'll be sure to address your concerns.

Irondwarf
    The extra comments from the peanut gallery really help thank you
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I will say the GMs probably could have handled this better. I get they thought it was cute to name the shop "Bjarn's Yarn Barn", and it probably never occurred to them that a character named "Bjarn" might still play or object to their character's name being used, but their solution to just add another N to Bjarn (so now "Bjarnn's Yarn Barn") did seem kind of dismissive to the player. Yeah "Bjarn's Yarn Barn" rhymes and is cute, but they probably should have just came up with a whole new name, or at least a whole new spelling of "Bjarn."

And this sentence especially seems dismissive to me: "Hello Irondwarf, I'm sorry that you are so upset and stressed by this newest revelation."

Maybe Thandiwe didn't mean it that way, but it does kind of read sarcastic and belittling.
    And to think, all that could have been avoided by typing two words.

>namecheck bjarn
    The name Bjarn is UNAVAILABLE.

Talk about lazy.
    [Private]-GSIV:Nyatherra: "Until this moment i forgot that i changed your name to Biff Muffbanger on Lnet"
    I am a retard. I'm disabled. I'm poor. I'm black. I'm gay. I'm transgender. I'm a woman. I'm diagnosed with cancer. I'm a human being.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Taernath View Post
    brb making a character called Wyromm

The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane. ~ Marcus Aurelius
    “It's a beautiful thing, the destruction of words.”
    ― George Orwell, 1984

“The urge to shout filthy words at the top of his voice was as strong as ever.”
    ― George Orwell, 1984

Quote Originally Posted by Parkbandit View Post
    It's pretty bad. But it was 1997 or 1998, and that's my only defense.

Quote Originally Posted by Parkbandit View Post
    Why? I bet it gets all the cyberz.

[LNet]-GSIV:Ycelacie: "tservin what kinda asian are you"