Page 47 of 74 FirstFirst ... 37454647484957 ... LastLast

Thread: "Occupy Wall Street" videos

Quote Originally Posted by Tgo01 View Post
    They always claim they'll create 500 jobs so the city will approve the building of a new store.

Of course they never create anywhere near 500 jobs. 200 sounds about right, if anything it's high.
    Last time I knew, over a year ago, an average 24hour Walmart Super Center doing around 70-120 million in retail sales a year has around 500-600 employees on the payroll, most are part time at around 20 hours a week. They were working hard to pare this down and cut positions and hours.
    I asked for neither your Opinion,
    your Acceptance
    nor your Permission.

"The darkest places in hell are reserved for those who maintain their neutrality in times of moral crisis." Dante Alighieri 3
    "It took 2000 mules to install one Jackass." Diamond and Silk Watch the Movie

Quote Originally Posted by Parkbandit View Post
    Where did you get this tactic from.. walmartsucks.com?

How often do you believe this strategy will work? I mean, they have some 8000+ stores. And do you believe that a city would tell them "No thanks, 200 isn't enough.. but if you hired 500, then heck yea!"
    My bad I got that wrong, they claim they'll create that many jobs in order to receive tax breaks, which companies do all the time for promising jobs.

However companies usually promise way more jobs than they actually deliver yet usually keep their tax breaks.

Quote Originally Posted by ~Rocktar~ View Post
    Last time I knew, over a year ago, an average 24hour Walmart Super Center doing around 70-120 million in retail sales a year has around 500-600 employees on the payroll, most are part time at around 20 hours a week. They were working hard to pare this down and cut positions and hours.
    http://walmartstores.com/aboutus/7606.aspx

Regular store: Each store employs about 225 associates.
    Supercenters: Supercenters average 185,000 square feet and employ about 350 or more associates.

Quote Originally Posted by TheEschaton View Post
    The point was that cutting edge things that people wanted were comparable chunks of cutting edge stuff were similar (adjusted) prices, but they've become less affordable now. As The Wedding Singer reminded us, 6-CD CD players used to cost like 600 bucks.
    Your relation of economics to the movie The Wedding Singer pretty much sums up why you should stay far away from these types of discussions.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kranar View Post
    If you can't handle some offensive content on a real time message board, then don't read them.
    Tough times never last but tough people do. -Robert H Schuller.

Quote Originally Posted by Warriorbird View Post
    Seems low from what I remember when they were plugging the Super Center.
    I would submit that a 24 hour super center employs more than 200 employees considering the size of the operation, range of staff positions required and the hours of operation.

Retail workers, floor reps, cashiers, floor supervisors, management, security, stockers, grocery (butcher, bakery, produce, etc.) janitorial, general maintenance, dock workers, customer service, cart reclaimers, automotive shop mechanics, parts desk and more that I'm sure I'm not thinking of.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kranar View Post
    If you can't handle some offensive content on a real time message board, then don't read them.
    Tough times never last but tough people do. -Robert H Schuller.

Quote Originally Posted by Warriorbird View Post
    Oh, it just talks about a bunch of businesses (not just small ones) driven out of business or severely damaged by it, including a number that were once in my area.

I don't think it treats workers too badly, personally. I know Alok's mileage is far different on that. Though would Walmart workers talk badly about it on tv while they were still employed by it?
    No, they probably wouldn't talk badly about the company while still working there. I dunno, I guess I just don't get that phony feel from Penn & Teller's show - in that I don't feel they'd have someone on there to spew bullshit (lol u see what I did thar?) and actually agree with them.

Seriously though, I understand that Walmart has harmed mom n pop stores who just can't compete with the low prices. I also feel though that Walmart has done a lot of good for a lot of people. Not just those who couldn't find work elsewhere, but those who cannot afford the higher prices at said mom n pop stores. But to call them a monopoly is pretty silly, as people who can afford a choice will have a LOT of places to choose from for food, housewares, clothing, electronics, etc.
    Quote Originally Posted by Taernath View Post
    You just got Kong'd.

6. Default

Quote Originally Posted by diethx View Post
    No, they probably wouldn't talk badly about the company while still working there. I dunno, I guess I just don't get that phony feel from Penn & Teller's show - in that I don't feel they'd have someone on there to spew bullshit (lol u see what I did thar?) and actually agree with them.

Seriously though, I understand that Walmart has harmed mom n pop stores who just can't compete with the low prices. I also feel though that Walmart has done a lot of good for a lot of people. Not just those who couldn't find work elsewhere, but those who cannot afford the higher prices at said mom n pop stores. But to call them a monopoly is pretty silly, as people who can afford a choice will have a LOT of places to choose from for food, housewares, clothing, electronics, etc.
    Is someone arguing with me? I'm incredibly bad at detecting sarcasm. Who likes gravy?

Oh.

I'm pretty sure this fits into the conversation somewhere.

Here's some fact checking on all those job killing regulations.

http://hosted.ap.org/dynamic/stories...MPLATE=DEFAULT
    I don't want the world; I just want your half.
    Discord BigNasty#8519

Quote Originally Posted by Rinualdo View Post
    Here's some fact checking on all those job killing regulations.

http://hosted.ap.org/dynamic/stories...MPLATE=DEFAULT
    So they aren't "Huge" job killers.. but we can all agree that they don't create jobs, right?
    PC RETARD HALL OF FAME

Quote Originally Posted by Seran-the Current Retard Champion View Post
    Besides, Republicans also block abstinence and contraceptives anyway.
    Quote Originally Posted by Seran-the Current Retard Champion View Post
    Regulating firearms to keep them out of the hands of criminals, the unhinged, etc. meets the first test of the 2nd amendment, 'well-regulated'.

Quote Originally Posted by SHAFT View Post
    You show me a video of me typing that and Ill admit it. (This was the excuse he came up with when he was called out for a really stupid post)
    Quote Originally Posted by Back View Post
    3 million more popular votes. I'd say the numbers speak for themselves. Gerrymandering won for Trump.

Quote Originally Posted by Parkbandit View Post
    So they aren't "Huge" job killers.. but we can all agree that they don't create jobs, right?
    Who said regulations were about creating jobs?
    I don't want the world; I just want your half.
    Discord BigNasty#8519