Thread: Supreme Court takes up case to review agency deference, potentially overrule Chevron

Default Supreme Court takes up case to review agency deference, potentially overrule Chevron

This will be an interesting case to watch. If SCOTUS overrules Chevron deference it will mark the end of bureaucratic overreach. This will have a lot of implications for the all the alphabet agencies like the ATF, IRS, and more.

https://amp.washingtontimes.com/news...y-deference-p/

The Supreme Court said Monday it will hear a case that takes aim at federal agencies’ power and the amount of deference courts are required to show to an administration’s decisions.

The case stems from a dispute between herring fishermen and the National Marine Fisheries Service, which wants to charge vessels as much as $700 a day to monitor what they are catching.

Fishing industry advocates say that while the law passed by Congress allows for the monitors, the agency is making up its own rules by insisting the boats pay the charges.

They lost in a 2-1 decision before a federal appeals court, where the majority said under a 1984 Supreme Court ruling, Chevron v. NRDC, judges are required to give wide deference to agency decisions.

In taking the fishing case, the justices have been asked to overrule the Chevron case and give judges more leeway to reel in expansive powers claimed by the federal bureaucracy.

Ryan Mulvey, counsel with Cause of Action representing the fishermen, said the case will give the justices an opportunity to fix “one of the most consequential judicial errors in a generation.”

“Chevron deference has proven corrosive to the American system of checks and balances and directly contributed to an unaccountable executive branch, overbearing bureaucracy, and runaway regulation,” Mr. Mulvey said. “These fishing families and all those seemingly living at the mercy of Washington deserve better.”

Bill Bright, a New Jersey fisherman and the plaintiff in the case, said he is grateful the high court took up his legal fight

“Our way of life is in the hands of these justices, and we hope they will keep our families and our community in mind as they weigh their decision,” Mr. Bright said.

Under Chevron, if Congress gives a broad task to an agency but doesn’t specify how it should be achieved, courts are supposed to defer to an agency’s interpretation as long as the interpretation is not unreasonable.

To defenders, the case blazed a path to good government, putting the experts at federal agencies in charge of the finer points of policy making.

To detractors, Chevron is the stuff of Orwellian dystopias, siphoning massive amounts of political power away from Congress and the courts and turning it over to unelected, anonymous bureaucrats.

In the ensuing decades, the case has become legendary, less for what it said than the way it has been used by some lower courts — particularly the appeals court in Washington that handles so many agency cases — to create a presumption in favor of an agency’s decisions.

Justice Neil M. Gorsuch in particular has been eyeing a chance to do away with Chevron, arguing the law requires judges to do less deferring and do more judging.

“At this late hour, the whole project deserves a tombstone no one can miss,” Justice Gorsuch wrote in a dissent in November.

Court watchers had been waiting for a case to give Justice Gorsuch a chance.

The Supreme Court didn’t reveal which justices voted to hear the fishermen’s case, which is known as Loper Bright Enterprises v. Raimondo. The court did say Justice Ketanji Brown Jackson did not take part in the decision on whether to grant a hearing,

The Fisheries Service has delayed the herring catch monitoring program. The high court is done hearing new cases for this term, so the fishermen’s case will likely be scheduled for when the new term opens in October.

Quote Originally Posted by Suppressed Poet View Post
    This will be an interesting case to watch. If SCOTUS overrules Chevron deference it will mark the end of bureaucratic overreach. This will have a lot of implications for the all the alphabet agencies like the ATF, IRS, and more.

https://amp.washingtontimes.com/news...y-deference-p/
    Let us know when the Supreme Court rules that it is the sole authority in the Federal government and dissolves the Executive and Legislative branches as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Seran View Post
    Let us know when the Supreme Court rules that it is the sole authority in the Federal government and dissolves the Executive and Legislative branches as well.
    Add the Constitution to the list of shit Seran doesn't understand.

Holy hell, how is anyone this fucking stupid?
    PC RETARD HALL OF FAME

Quote Originally Posted by Seran-the Current Retard Champion View Post
    Besides, Republicans also block abstinence and contraceptives anyway.
    Quote Originally Posted by Seran-the Current Retard Champion View Post
    Regulating firearms to keep them out of the hands of criminals, the unhinged, etc. meets the first test of the 2nd amendment, 'well-regulated'.

Quote Originally Posted by SHAFT View Post
    You show me a video of me typing that and Ill admit it. (This was the excuse he came up with when he was called out for a really stupid post)
    Quote Originally Posted by Back View Post
    3 million more popular votes. I'd say the numbers speak for themselves. Gerrymandering won for Trump.

Imagine thinking that the supreme court telling the courts that they can actually rule on things regarding federal agencies instead of "deferring" to them means the supreme court wants to be the sole authority of the federal government.

The entire point of the courts is to act as a check on the other two branches, but for some reason the supreme court in the past said "Naww! Let's just defer to federal agencies and let them do whatever they want! LOL!"

I don't know anything at all about this case or anything leading up to it, but...

...this is how I can tell the fishermen are on the right side of history and the government is being a piece of shit again.

Seran thinks if the fishermen are having to fork over stupid amounts of money for boat inspections or whatever, then that money will be applied directly to his welfare checks.
    Last edited by Methais; 05-01-2023 at 03:33 PM.
    Discord: 3PiecesOfToast
    [Private]-GSIV:Nyatherra: "Until this moment i forgot that i changed your name to Biff Muffbanger on Lnet"
    Quote Originally Posted by Back View Post
    I am a retard. I'm disabled. I'm poor. I'm black. I'm gay. I'm transgender. I'm a woman. I'm diagnosed with cancer. I'm a human being.
    Quote Originally Posted by time4fun View Post
    So here's the deal- I am just horrible

Blog Entries

It is almost like you don't understand the US Constitution at all.
    Ceterum censeo Carthaginem esse delendam