Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: SVB

1. Default

They gave 70+M to BLM and BLM like activist organizations. Sounds like the treasury branch of the democratic party to me.
    http://www.usdebtclock.org/
    Click the link above to see how much you owe the government.

"Well I tell you what, if you have a problem figuring out whether you're for me or Trump, then you ain't black."
    -Superracist, Joe Biden

“If you don’t believe in free speech for people who you disagree with, and even hate for what they stand for, then you don’t believe in free speech.”
    -My favorite liberal

Quote Originally Posted by Whirlin View Post
    Couple things.

FDIC Insures 250k per depositor, per bank, per ownership class. You and your wife could have two individual accounts, a joint account, a money market account and have a limit of $1m

There's two major types of failures that occurred in the past week. Liquidity Risk and Interest Risks. Liquidity Risks is what occurred at Silvergate and Signature banks. They both had ~>10% deposits in the crypto market, which crashed, and liquidity became a concern. Silicon Valley Bank went through hypergrowth and... was honestly a pretty shoddy bank. They dwelled more on Deposits than they did about actually making money and being a bank.

There's a lot to unpack in those two lines... so lets step back for a moment.

How to banks even make money?
    An individual deposits $100. The bank can then loan $75 to someone else. That loan of $75 will earn them $80 over the course of a year, and now they have $5 profit. Because they were using the individual's money, they offer them an interest rate on their deposit, so the individual now has $101, while the bank has earned $4. This concept also refers to total money supply in the macroeconomic sense. Because that $75 that they loaned out is deposited into another account at another bank, or spent on the market, whose recipient in turn deposits those $75 into a bank, who can loan out $66, so on and so forth. The end result is that $100 can produce about $400 as you follow the money.

How banks earn that $4 margin is dependent upon how they invest that money. The best example of this is from It's a Wonderful Life, when the money was used as mortgages to build houses. Nowadays, there are additional options. Not only direct originations of collateralized and uncollateralized loans, but more companies have been created to handle the origination of these loans which can be sold to banks, so that they're paying the independent party to do the origination due diligence. Additionally, asset classes of particular securities/etc can be consolidated bought/sold as needed. Banks should stratesfy their investments for a variety of maturation dates, interest rates, and risk postures to ensure that they're properly leveraging against market conditions. Which will bring me to my next point.

Dodd Frank established several requirements onto banks for their risk management strategies. Typically, a new bank dwells predominantly on operational and regulatory risks. This includes things like fraud identification, detection, red flag reporting for potential money laundering, and ensuring that back end systems can't have the Super Man 2 exploits where someone pockets a fraction of a cent until it's billions of dollars. This control posture management/etc is all verified by the FDIC. FDIC is typically at every bank at least once per quarter, and usually in constant contact with executives from the bank. And if they see something they don't like, they can red line any potential bank mergers or acquisitions. The FDIC is looking for maturing internal programs to identify and manage risks, and will hold alll three lines of risk (business line, risk management, and audit) accountable to execute on effective practices. Each of the 8 OCC categories (Regulatory, Credit, Interest rate, Liquidity, Pricing, Transaction, Strategic, and Reputational... with a 9th of foreign exchange depending on the bank operations) of risk typically requires a different mitigation approach. Many are categorized into Operational risk (Regulatory, Credit, Transaction, Strategic and Reputational, Pricing), while the others are financial risks (Interest Rate, Liquidity). Operational risks are typically documented via identification of risks, and their associated controls, evaluating the control effectiveness, aggregate, aggregate. The Financial risks are typically identified and tested via risk scenario assessments. The most prevalent is the Monte Carlo simulation, where there's a variety of environmental changes that keep getting worse and worse to determine your risk posture to defend against adverse actions.

Under Trump's Regulatory rollback efforts, his March 2020 changes introduced two things: 1: He reduced the fractional reserve of lending from 10% down to 0%. (2): He removed the requirements for risk scenarios to be conducted as part of the FDIC oversight for Small and Medium Sized banks. To perform scenario analysis does typically require at least 1 six figured FTE on staff, which does have a larger effect on small and medium sized banks. Everyone agreed upon the larger impact the smaller the organization, and agreed with an overall reduction in requirements depending on bank size, which aligns to many of the FDIC testing methodologies. However, it was fully removed, and not reduced. Therefore, as a result of the changes, there is no periodic regulatory requirement to conduct Interest Rate or Liquidity Assessments in order to comply with FDIC requirements. The rest of the requirements stayed in place, and are generally a high threshold on banks. So going above and beyond costs meant it's typically not done.

In regards to the reduction of the marginal lending reserve requirement. It's easy to think of... "Well, even if the requirement was now 0%, I want to remain at 10%", and thinking that banks may 'do the right thing' in only lending up to what they're comfortable doing. However, without a more formalized Liquidity assessment to determine likelihoods of these needs, it became more of a manner to potentially drive profits, and take risks. With a publicaly traded company, it's less about turning a binary profit. It's about turning the most profit compared to your peers for your size.

The best analogy I can think of is that the ability to reduce the marginal retention to 0% is like enabling an engine to go even more full throttle than it could before. The Removal of requirements for Interest Rate Assessments is like removing the warning signs of a big curve up ahead, and the removal of liquidity assessments is like removing your speedometer, so you don't know how fast you're truly going or the risks of going off the curve.

As a result, banks found themselves non-liquid and unable to make depositors' demands for funds.

Why? The root cause for Signature and Silvergate bank was mostly due to Crypto currency deposits accounting for a decent portion of their deposits. With crypto tanking, folks sought to withdraw. Crypto, by definition, carries a larger liquidity risk than a savings account, it's a completely different asset class! As a result of Silvergate's failures, SVB likely was housing a lot of funding for crypto startups, which may have also needed to pull funds from. None of the banks were liquid enough because they didn't consider the maturation of investments and properly hedge and diversify.

So... next steps... why bail them out?

We're at a 0% retention rate with many smaller banks not giving credence to liquidity risks. This can potentially have a domino effect if folks lose faith in the financial markets. Folks see one bank fail, they withdraw all their money from another bank, realizing the potential liquidity risks that exist at that other bank, causing it to fail, so on and so forth. The FDIC has a large buffer of money. Banks all pay into the universal banking funds/etc, which are able to cover these three bank failures. This is protection against future bank runs and lose of customer confidence. Failure to do so could in turn cause more banks to fail, more FDIC payouts, and may run over on the current FDIC supplies, which COULD cause a taxpayer hit after their reserves are depleted.

Barney Frank, the Frank in the Dodd-Frank, put most of the burden and blame on the Crypto-currency collapse, and he's not wrong. Warren puts a lot of the blame on the lack of regulations and required oversight into Interest Rate and Liquidity Assessments, and she's not wrong either. I don't think I've seen enough blame in the media put on the 10% retention rate down to 0%, and it's overall impact on inflation in general and risks to banks.

The reality is that we're in a capitalist society, by definition, it is all about the CAPITAL. The raw ability to purchase goods. Money is made from Money. Financial "Products" are the earlier access to capital at a cost, like a mortgage. Failure to have access to capital just entrenches worse class warfare than we already have.

All of that being said, anyone that had insider information and was able to profit off of the events, should absolutely be prosecuted to the fullest extent possible. A LOT of folks are back in the job market as a result of these collapses, are there are additional widespread concerns when institutions fail.
    PC RETARD HALL OF FAME

Quote Originally Posted by Seran-the Current Retard Champion View Post
    Besides, Republicans also block abstinence and contraceptives anyway.
    Quote Originally Posted by Seran-the Current Retard Champion View Post
    Regulating firearms to keep them out of the hands of criminals, the unhinged, etc. meets the first test of the 2nd amendment, 'well-regulated'.

Quote Originally Posted by SHAFT View Post
    You show me a video of me typing that and Ill admit it. (This was the excuse he came up with when he was called out for a really stupid post)
    Quote Originally Posted by Back View Post
    3 million more popular votes. I'd say the numbers speak for themselves. Gerrymandering won for Trump.

Quote Originally Posted by Whirlin View Post
    This includes things like fraud identification, detection, red flag reporting for potential money laundering, and ensuring that back end systems can't have the Super Man 2 exploits where someone pockets a fraction of a cent until it's billions of dollars.
    How can I believe your explanation of how banks make money when you can't keep your Superman movies straight?

Joking.

Mostly.

Quote Originally Posted by beldar17 View Post
    Seran, can you post the in depth audit you did on your bank prior to using them?

moron

gtfo
    To be honest, you are the moron here, if you aren’t doing an in-depth check of your bank when you are depositing more than 250k you’re a fucking idiot. Anything less is insured by the FDIC, and it’s not needed.

You: I’m giving a business 1mil! I don’t need to check anything about them! I’m just going to trust them!

Lol?
    Last edited by Solkern; 03-15-2023 at 11:17 PM.
    The idiot award goes to…

Quote Originally Posted by Neveragain View Post
    The Constitution is not the Declaration of Independence. (I'm not at all surprised that you don't know this)
    An hour later:
    Quote Originally Posted by Neveragain View Post
    "That to secure these rights, governments are instituted among men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed, that whenever any form of government becomes destructive of these ends, it is the right of the people to alter or to abolish it, and to institute new government." ~ The Constitution

Blog Entries

External reporting of SVB, Silvergate, and Signature were all adequate enough not to scare investors or raise red flags internally or externally, even with so much crypto on the deposits side of their operations.

So who would you even ask to do what, how, and with what data?

Lets start at the conclusion and point out the obvious. Any report you obtain from any reputable auditing company will be filled with so many conditions and assumptions that any recommendations is going to be very subjective, and reflective of what you want to hear. They're professionals. While they'll give you the details, conclusions are nothing more than a potential liability if leveraged, and therefore will be properly hedged in a way to avoid liability. Every Audit firm knows better.

To answer my own question... since it seems slightly out of your wheel house. You'd be looking at hiring an external audit firm, such as Deloitte or PWC to perform scenario analysis on the bank. Remember... what you're asking for is EXACTLY what was revoked out of Dodd Frank BECAUSE it was too impactful to smaller financial institutions as a periodic cost. But... it's not too impactful for you to perform against a magnitude of potential banks to do business?

Because you're not directly working for the bank, you'll need to learn their corporate environment, and determine who has, or who could even get access to the data you're looking for in order to run simulations on interest rates and liquidity. Then you need to obtain and analyze all processes associated with how they monitor, manage, pivot on securities by class, or adjust holdings depending on market conditions, economic indicators, local news, and/or financial news. (Please note... there's an assumption in here that this data is easily obtained in their systems. Often, asset classes are housed in different systems for being managed by different processes. Mortgage/HELOC, Collateralized and uncollateralized loans are typically very different due to different regulatory requirements, and are managed separately. Then you need to run simulations of their data through an ever increasing series of risks to determine if their pivots would be sufficient to mitigate the increased external threats. You'd also need to interview executives to determine cadence on evaluating these processes, and if there are additional activities that would be present within initial identification of a potential threat. I can tell you that following SVB, we were all in a lot of meetings for a few days further discussing it and determining if our processes held up to such threats. Only then, you'll then be able to draft up the findings and determine an overall recommendation. Spoiler though, since you're working with an external audit company, they will likely not reach a concise conclusion, but give you all of the data and let you draw your own conclusion, so that they're not liable for any business decisions or failures that occur.

The entire engagement is likely a team of 6 individuals for 6 months. 5 practitioners at about about $300/hr, one manager for $500/hr. That's 5200+1040 billable hours, for a total price of about 2,080k. This also doesn't reflect the cost to the bank's time and energy to deal with your demands for your $1m deposit.

Those values are based off of being the third or fourth party in many external audit or consultancy engagements at current and previous companies and in no way reflect current markets in your area. For a reputable big firm, 2-5x individual salary is a good benchmark for leveraging the firm's resources and letterheads. Engagement duration and team is based on individual experiences performing internal audit and risk and control self assessment (RCSA) engagements at four companies. This is in no way a direct current market valuation or quote to provide services, but is meant as rough napkin math to point out an order of magnitude cost estimate to an individual looking to leverage an 'audit' to obtain information.

There's a reason both sides of the aisle agreed that it was materially impactful to comply with evaluation of interest and liquidity risks, and yet, as an individual, you're assuming you're going to be able to unilaterally fund the ability to perform such assessments.

It's good to be skeptical, I absolutely recommend SOME due diligence before entering ANY deal with any third party. Hell, that's the reason that there's an entire Third/Fourth Party Risk Domain. However, without sufficient industry knowledge, it's not coming across as skeptical, it's coming across as naïve. You can't walk down to the audit store and pick up the audit of a bank for $50 off the shelf and get more information than every investment banker, hedge fund manager, bank executive, or internal bank employee.

>forage for snapdragon stalk
    d100(Open): -251
    You stumble about in a fruitless attempt at foraging.

1/6/2014: Setheve completes the promotion ritual and says, "Congratulations, Whirlin, for achieving Guild Master status! We trust you'll serve your guild well."
    1/11/2014: Grandmaster Alchemist
    1/14/2014: Capped, and got Loralaii killed by a GM.
    7/11/2016: Founded the Hand of the Arkati
    9/20/2016: T5 on my bow (Thanks to Isola)... Managed as far as T4 myself.

Quote Originally Posted by Seran View Post
    That's asinine. Treasury bonds are a guaranteed return and hold it's value provided you hold it through maturity. The "treasury bond market" is nothing more than people who buy and sell treasury notes prior to maturity hoping some change will result in a profit. Tell me, you have a fixed note that's not yet due, by what right do you have to expect a positive return on investment prior to it's maturity? The bank was over leveraged, which in turn triggered a very highly publicized bank run, that in turn killed the bank whose assets didn't support another firm providing capital or buying them out. End of story.

As was stated, you choose your bank and like any other investment you expose yourself to risk of losing your funds. That they chose a firm like SVB with an incredibly loose business model is their fault. Depositors should be paid out like a super priority creditor, before any other notes or obligations. If and only if there weren't enough to make them whole, then the FDIC should have stepped in to pay it's maximum of 250K.

Golly...who's more likely to have a clue what they're talking about....a dude who actually has money and investments? Or a welfare addict like you who's consistently wrong and stupid as fuck about everything 24/7 on any topic?

Last edited by Methais; 03-16-2023 at 11:20 AM.
    Discord: 3PiecesOfToast
    [Private]-GSIV:Nyatherra: "Until this moment i forgot that i changed your name to Biff Muffbanger on Lnet"
    I am a retard. I'm disabled. I'm poor. I'm black. I'm gay. I'm transgender. I'm a woman. I'm diagnosed with cancer. I'm a human being.
    Quote Originally Posted by time4fun View Post
    So here's the deal- I am just horrible

Taking Go Woke Go Broke to a whole new level.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/money/comp...on/ar-AA18GswN

"Kessler's piece got a hefty dose of online backlash, but there is new evidence for the Go Woke, Go Broke theory of SVB's downfall—or at least the theory that its focus on racial issues exposed something important about its business acumen (or lack thereof). A database created by the Claremont Institute revealed that SVB either donated or pledged to donate almost $74 million to organizations affiliated with the Black Lives Matter movement."
    Last edited by Luntz; 03-16-2023 at 11:46 AM.
    [LNet]-GSIV:Nitefallz: "wait whats a poop sock"

[Merchant]-GSIV:Skoll: "Some say the customer is always right, some say the customer is a bitch ass loser and needs to shut up"

[Private]-GSIV:Warclaidh: "what is booty percs"

Quote Originally Posted by Seran View Post
    Lloyd Blankfein former CEO of Goldman Sachs responded to questions during an interview regarding claims the bank failed due to being 'woke' and addressed the banks failure to have liquid resources.

https://www.google.com/search?q=svb+...isk+management

^ Feel free to choose the source of your liking if the one linked in the pic isn't good enough for you and your chronic butthurt.
    Last edited by Methais; 03-16-2023 at 11:45 AM.
    [Private]-GSIV:Nyatherra: "Until this moment i forgot that i changed your name to Biff Muffbanger on Lnet"
    I am a retard. I'm disabled. I'm poor. I'm black. I'm gay. I'm transgender. I'm a woman. I'm diagnosed with cancer. I'm a human being.

Quote Originally Posted by malmuddy View Post
    How can I believe your explanation of how banks make money when you can't keep your Superman movies straight?

Joking.

Mostly.
    You shouldn't be joking. This destroys any and all credibility Whirlin may have had.

Gus Gorman, Zod, and Ross Webster are all greatly disappointed in Whirlin. Not mad, just disappointed.

Peter isn't happy about it either.

Last edited by Methais; 03-16-2023 at 11:51 AM.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Methais View Post

https://www.google.com/search?q=svb+...isk+management

^ Feel free to choose the source of your liking if the one linked in the pic isn't good enough for you and your chronic butthurt.
    Even if the CRO had been hired 9 months previous, without the FDIC focus on those types of risks, it wouldn't have been sufficient time to stand up more than just the minimum viable products in Operational, Compliance, IT, and Third Party Risk management, at an absolute maximum.
    In the marketplace, there's been a shortage in the Chief Risk Officer space for approximately 5 years in the financial markets. The likelihood of qualified applicants applying to the role is very low. It took my current small/mid sized bank 3 years of searching before hiring someone qualified (also not our first pick) so that our General Counsel could return from being the de facto head of Risk to going back to managing the Legal team.

>forage for snapdragon stalk
    d100(Open): -251
    You stumble about in a fruitless attempt at foraging.

1/6/2014: Setheve completes the promotion ritual and says, "Congratulations, Whirlin, for achieving Guild Master status! We trust you'll serve your guild well."
    1/11/2014: Grandmaster Alchemist
    1/14/2014: Capped, and got Loralaii killed by a GM.
    7/11/2016: Founded the Hand of the Arkati
    9/20/2016: T5 on my bow (Thanks to Isola)... Managed as far as T4 myself.