Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: SVB

Question SVB

The Biden administration has announced that customers of Silicon Valley Bank will have full access to their deposits, an extraordinary move by federal officials to backstop billions of dollars in uninsured money amid fears that the bank's collapse could lead to greater panic.

More...
    The move on Sunday effectively waives the $250,000 ceiling on federal deposit insurance for Silicon Valley Bank and Signature Bank.

The deposits will be supported by insurance funds, not taxpayer money.

A senior Treasury official on Sunday stressed Silicon Valley Bank's investors will not be provided with any relief by Sunday's actions.

"The bank's equity and bondholders are being wiped out. They took a risk as owners of those securities. They will take the losses," the official said.

If people put more than the insured amount of $250,000 in a single bank for convenience, why should the government bail them out? If a little bank went broke, the excess savings of depositors would get wiped out, leaving them with just the insured amount.

It's like if a hurricane blows down everybody's house along a coast, then the government will help them rebuild, but if a tornado blows down just your house, then you're on your own.
    There are decades where nothing happens; and there are weeks where decades happen.

The system is bailing them out, FDIC is bank money not taxpayer money.
    Khaladon starts to turn the crystal knob, but stops with a frightened look on his face. He begins shaking uncontrollably and flies across the room, as though by some invisible force.

**SPLAT!!** Khaladon careens off the far wall, slides down the smooth wood panelling and collapses into a quivering heap on the floor, with only his dignity bruised.

Quote Originally Posted by Ardwen View Post
    Good for them for taking the hit for the little guys. Finally the banks are stuck paying for the mess they created...

In other completely unrelated news, fees on savings/checking accounts are about to go up.
    Discord: anebriated

Looking for old characters:
    Elrodin 100 Ranger
    Moider 100 bard

Quote Originally Posted by ClydeR View Post
    If people put more than the insured amount of $250,000 in a single bank for convenience, why should the government bail them out? If a little bank went broke, the excess savings of depositors would get wiped out, leaving them with just the insured amount.

It's like if a hurricane blows down everybody's house along a coast, then the government will help them rebuild, but if a tornado blows down just your house, then you're on your own.
    I'm in agreement, I'd rather not see the customers receive more than the FDIC insured amount. For the record however, only one bank's depositors ever were not made whole by the FDIC and that was during the 2008 investment bank orgy.

Quote Originally Posted by Seran View Post
    I'm in agreement, I'd rather not see the customers receive more than the FDIC insured amount. For the record however, only one bank's depositors ever were not made whole by the FDIC and that was during the 2008 investment bank orgy.
    The Biden Administration bailed out all the depositors of this bank... and this was a bank almost exclusively for millionaires and billionaires.
    PC RETARD HALL OF FAME

Quote Originally Posted by Seran-the Current Retard Champion View Post
    Besides, Republicans also block abstinence and contraceptives anyway.
    Regulating firearms to keep them out of the hands of criminals, the unhinged, etc. meets the first test of the 2nd amendment, 'well-regulated'.

Quote Originally Posted by SHAFT View Post
    You show me a video of me typing that and Ill admit it. (This was the excuse he came up with when he was called out for a really stupid post)
    Quote Originally Posted by Back View Post
    3 million more popular votes. I'd say the numbers speak for themselves. Gerrymandering won for Trump.

Quote Originally Posted by Parkbandit View Post
    The Biden Administration bailed out all the depositors of this bank... and this was a bank almost exclusively for millionaires and billionaires.
    Yes he did and I disagree with that decision. I understand their rationale, but it's a pretty flimsy excuse to say that companies who relied on those accounts for payroll should be made whole. Yes, the FDIC has done this through it's history, doesn't make it right.

I can't find the link again, but the breakdown of the concentration of wealth of those depositors in excess of 250k? Like 85%.
    Last edited by Seran; 03-14-2023 at 05:49 PM.

7. Default

Quote Originally Posted by Parkbandit View Post
    Democrat donors you mean.
    http://www.usdebtclock.org/
    Click the link above to see how much you owe the government.

"Well I tell you what, if you have a problem figuring out whether you're for me or Trump, then you ain't black."
    -Superracist, Joe Biden

“If you don’t believe in free speech for people who you disagree with, and even hate for what they stand for, then you don’t believe in free speech.”
    -My favorite liberal

Quote Originally Posted by Seran View Post
    Yes he did and I disagree with that decision. I understand their rationale, but it's a pretty flimsy excuse to say that companies who relied on those accounts for payroll should be made whole. Yes, the FDIC has done this through it's history, doesn't make it right.

I can't find the link again, but the breakdown of the concentration of wealth of those depositors in excess of 250k? Like 85%.
    Yea.. I saw the same thing. It was the exact opposite of a normal bank... 80% is normally regular people with 20% Millionaires/Billionaires.

And it looks like the Board had almost zero experience in any banking.

If you want to invest/utilize a bank and you vote people with no banking experience to be the on the board and it fails... you deserve to lose your investment/deposits.
    PC RETARD HALL OF FAME

Regulating firearms to keep them out of the hands of criminals, the unhinged, etc. meets the first test of the 2nd amendment, 'well-regulated'.

You show me a video of me typing that and Ill admit it. (This was the excuse he came up with when he was called out for a really stupid post)
    3 million more popular votes. I'd say the numbers speak for themselves. Gerrymandering won for Trump.

Quote Originally Posted by Suppa Hobbit Mage View Post
    Democrat donors you mean.
    Are they? Only person I saw who withdrew his money from the bank prior to it's collapse was Peter Thiel.. who is not a Democrat.
    PC RETARD HALL OF FAME

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Ardwen View Post
    So we can now only pay for 100k worth of coverage and have it cover 1 million in damages.

I'm all in on this scheme.

My house burned down:

Insurance covered my losses:

The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane. ~ Marcus Aurelius
    “It's a beautiful thing, the destruction of words.”
    ― George Orwell, 1984

“The urge to shout filthy words at the top of his voice was as strong as ever.”
    ― George Orwell, 1984