Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread: GS & IRS $600 rule

1. Default

Quote Originally Posted by gilchristr View Post
    "Isn't it standard practice here for buyers to mark our payments as gifts/F&F?"

Form over substance. You do not get a pass on paying tax simply because a payment is "marked" as friends and family. The true nature of the transaction is what controls. While this might not sound cool, you should pay the taxes you owe, and not cheat
    Taxes i owe? Hmm I received a good amount of money from people but put almost all of it back in the game. Should I pay taxes on that or just what I came out ahead. Where does it get figured out? There is a fine lone between paying and cheating. Also the government fkng sucks taxing everything. That's not how it was supposed to be.

Quote Originally Posted by beldannon5 View Post
    Taxes i owe? Hmm I received a good amount of money from people but put almost all of it back in the game. Should I pay taxes on that or just what I came out ahead. Where does it get figured out? There is a fine lone between paying and cheating. Also the government fkng sucks taxing everything. That's not how it was supposed to be.
    I fucking HATE dealing with taxes and figuring shit out, but I believe that unless you are doing it under a company structure where you can determine revenue vs. costs to determine "profit", then you might be screwed.

All year long I was preaching this to my daughter who sells shit on Etsy.. I was telling her all year long "You should make a company so you can take advantage of the tax loopholes" but she didn't listen.
    PC RETARD HALL OF FAME

Quote Originally Posted by Seran-the Current Retard Champion View Post
    Besides, Republicans also block abstinence and contraceptives anyway.
    Regulating firearms to keep them out of the hands of criminals, the unhinged, etc. meets the first test of the 2nd amendment, 'well-regulated'.

Quote Originally Posted by SHAFT View Post
    You show me a video of me typing that and Ill admit it. (This was the excuse he came up with when he was called out for a really stupid post)
    Quote Originally Posted by Back View Post
    3 million more popular votes. I'd say the numbers speak for themselves. Gerrymandering won for Trump.

Quote Originally Posted by Archigeek View Post
    It does seem rather petty, especially considering that short of large somes of money, collecting is going to be a money losing proposition. On the other hand, the IRS has always assumed that your money coming in is income. What I don't understand is, why bother? Next thing you know they'll be after the kids who shovel my sidewalk for 25 bucks.
    The one that really caught me off guard was years ago, after being let go at my job and bills piled up and blah, blah, blah. After eventually getting my feet under me and paying off a debt on a defaulted credit card......in the mail came a 1099-C (if I remember correctly). So not only did I pay off a debt I had, the government now tells me that the debt I paid off was taxable income that I now had to give the government money against it. That's fucked up. Straight up, fucked up.

The government has overextended their reach by so much when it comes to taking money from people and they constantly want more, more, more.
    Last edited by drumpel; 12-09-2022 at 10:56 AM.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by drumpel View Post
    The one that really caught me off guard was years ago, after being let go at my job and bills piled up and blah, blah, blah. After eventually getting my feet under me and paying off a debt on a defaulted credit card......in the mail came a 1099-C (if I remember correctly). So not only did I pay off a debt I had, the government now tells me that the debt I paid off was taxable income that I now had to give the government money against it. That's fucked up. Straight up, fucked up.

The government has overextended their reach by so much when it comes to taking money from people and they constantly want more, more, more.
    If you have ever been caught up in the "IRS shuffle" you will never support the IRS again.

The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane. ~ Marcus Aurelius
    “It's a beautiful thing, the destruction of words.”
    ― George Orwell, 1984

“The urge to shout filthy words at the top of his voice was as strong as ever.”
    ― George Orwell, 1984

Quote Originally Posted by Neveragain View Post
    If you have ever been caught up in the "IRS shuffle" you will never support the IRS again.
    My favorite is their deadlines to tax payers... meet this deadline or you will be penalized.. no ands, ifs or buts about it.

But when they mistakenly tried to steal more money out of me, my accountant sent them back a letter saying they fucked up and that the actual correct number was you owe my client an additional $10000.00

They sent me back a letter saying something like "We need additional time to complete our review. If we can't figure this out in the next 90 days, we will send you another letter asking for additional time"

Fucking morons.

If you can't hack it as an accountant, then the IRS has a job opening for you!
    PC RETARD HALL OF FAME

Besides, Republicans also block abstinence and contraceptives anyway.
    Regulating firearms to keep them out of the hands of criminals, the unhinged, etc. meets the first test of the 2nd amendment, 'well-regulated'.

Quote Originally Posted by SHAFT View Post
    You show me a video of me typing that and Ill admit it. (This was the excuse he came up with when he was called out for a really stupid post)
    Quote Originally Posted by Back View Post
    3 million more popular votes. I'd say the numbers speak for themselves. Gerrymandering won for Trump.

Blog Entries

GS is destroyed by the IRS, Whatley flees to Russia.
    Ceterum censeo Carthaginem esse delendam

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Parkbandit View Post
    My favorite is their deadlines to tax payers... meet this deadline or you will be penalized.. no ands, ifs or buts about it.

But when they mistakenly tried to steal more money out of me, my accountant sent them back a letter saying they fucked up and that the actual correct number was you owe my client an additional $10000.00

They sent me back a letter saying something like "We need additional time to complete our review. If we can't figure this out in the next 90 days, we will send you another letter asking for additional time"

Fucking morons.

If you can't hack it as an accountant, then the IRS has a job opening for you!
    Took nearly a decade to clear up my troubles with the IRS after receiving some inheritance. They must have changed case handlers 5 times and lost all my paperwork several times.

Would receive a notice, send in all the paperwork, not hear anything for a couple years, think I was in the clear and then receive another letter. I would call them and get the same shit "Oh, your files have been handed to a different agent and we need your paperwork again"

The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane. ~ Marcus Aurelius
    “It's a beautiful thing, the destruction of words.”
    ― George Orwell, 1984

“The urge to shout filthy words at the top of his voice was as strong as ever.”
    ― George Orwell, 1984

Quote Originally Posted by drumpel View Post
    That doesn’t make sense. If you had a debt that was forgiven or discharged, yes the government would consider that taxable income.
    Discord: Jivan#1805

Quote Originally Posted by beldannon5 View Post
    You’re screwed.

Quote Originally Posted by Rjex View Post
    This exactly. We're dealing with bullshit virtual items and currencies and no way to prove any of it is real. Anything they see coming in is going to be assumed to be 100% profit when it might 5% profit or worse yet, a loss. A few years ago you might have paid $4k for that piece of gear and now you can barely sell it for half of its value? Doesn't matter, better get ready to pay tax on that 2k pure profit that you just made according to the IRS.
    Why are you complaining about this now? This was known for awhile now.