Page 16 of 152 FirstFirst ... 614151617182666116 ... LastLast

Thread: FBI raid on Trump's home

Quote Originally Posted by Solkern View Post
    According to trump means absolutely nothing.

There’s a process to declassify documents, it’s not just Trump saying I declassified them. Doesn’t work that way.

Do you think that warrant would have been signed and issued if those documents were indeed declassified? Obviously Trump has classified documents he wasn’t supposed to have….that’s obvious.
    I 100% believe Trump is lying. A search warrant wouldn’t have been signed off on, on a former President, unless they had absolute evidence that Trump did have classified documents. It would have been a massive political shit storm. .
    That common sense, that the magistrate who signed off on the warrant would have been shown probable cause that an evidence of an existing or ongoing crime was taking place, escapes the blind loyalty of the shrinking few.

Quote Originally Posted by time4fun View Post
    Actually, after looking over things again (and not after a 13 hour work day)- I'd say you're correct here. Generally in the EO, the role of POTUS (or Director of Information Security Oversight) is to instruct agencies to classify/declassify records, which means generally it's not simply the decision itself by POTUS that renders something classified/declassified. Trump himself made that clear when he went to Twitter to declassify all records related to the Russia investigation, only to turn around to his staff immediately and inform them that him tweeting that didn't actually declassify anything.

I read that as making the process of classification/declassification a necessary step in all instances. But re-reading this, there are one or two situations where a President's decision about something explicitly *does* render it classified/declassified according to the EO. That gives more weight to your argument.

Having said that, the question of classification is actually a moot one it would seem, given the statutes in question don't differentiate between classified and unclassified material (as they were written before our current system of classification). There's also a larger issue here of whether a President privately deciding something is, or isn't, declassified actually makes it declassified. Ad hoc classification/declassification is very much treated as a performative act throughout the EO. In every single situation, ad hoc declassification involves a communicated decision. It's not a quiet exercise in self-reflection. After all, if you don't tell anyone then the information is still effectively classified.

Ultimately, the DoJ will have to make a decision on whether the EO supports a former President retroactively claiming that they declassified information without telling anyone (Section 6.1[b]). Even if classification were a more relevant issue here, I wouldn't bet on it. Especially not a former President who waited 15 months, until served with a warrant and an FBI raid, to tell anyone about this supposed declassification.
    If there isn’t a record of him declassifying the shit he stole while in office it’s still classified.

Quote Originally Posted by Gelston View Post
    The Act literally has no mechanism for enforcement, it is entirely true. It allows them to go and seize the documents, but there are absolutely 0 penalties for violating it.
    We're not disagreeing on that point. I brought up the Presidential Records Act because it seemed you were suggesting that whether or not it was illegal for Trump to have had those records in his possession was dependent on their classification status. It was illegal no matter what.

Remember though- the Presidential Records Act was put into place as a Congressional oversight response to Nixon trying to destroy records to cover up his illegal actions. Nixon's Administration decided to claim that all of Nixon's records were actually Nixon's private property and therefore not subject to any statutes pertaining to government records. So Congress passed the Bill to make it clear that they were actually the property of the Federal government and to create a series of processes to ensure these records weren't lost or, more specifically, weren't taken away and hidden or destroyed.

That's why the Act has no explicit enforcement mechanism. It's not that the law is toothless and irrelevant (or was ever intended to be toothless or irrelevant), it's that its role was to establish that existing criminal statutes and their enforcement mechanisms were very much in play with these specific records, no matter what the Executive Branch decided to claim.

Quote Originally Posted by Tgo01 View Post
    And according to Trump:

- The documents were declassified by him while he was still president.
    - The FBI knew about the documents and had access to them prior to the raid and did not remove them from his house, instead they said to put another lock on the door where they were being stored and Trump did so.

Now you can be like Shaft and just automatically assume Trump is 100% lying and the FBI is 100% telling the truth because they have never lied to the American public before, but at least come out and say that. Don't just act like the only facts we have is the FBI's perspective.
    Tgo, Trump also made the following claims:
    Obama took tons of documents about nuclear programs home with him to Chicago (NARA shot that down fast)
    GSA put the wrong boxes on the truck (GSA shot that down too)
    His lawyer was never served a warrant (his lawyer's signature is on the warrant)
    The FBI planted evidence to frame him (He and his family were able to watch the entire thing via CCTV, so there's literally no way)
    That as of June, he had returned ALL classified material to the Federal government. That was signed by his lawyer btw. (obviously he didn't)

And finally, Trump wasn't actually there because he was busy pleading the 5th over 400 times in a criminal tax evasion deposition

So can we just stop and have a reality check for a moment here? So is your argument that Trump told ALL of these lies about the situation in the space of like 48 hours, but we're supposed to take his "Oh I declassified these a long time ago in my head even though they still have classification markers and nobody else knew about it" claim at face value? Even though he didn't make that claim until after he told the DoJ that he had no more classified information, and they ended up finding numerous highly classified records in his home?

Do me a favor and replace the word "Trump" with Biden or Clinton or Big Bird. Now tell us all with a straight face that we should take what that person is saying at face value.
    Last edited by time4fun; 08-13-2022 at 02:55 PM.

Blog Entries

[

And finally, Trump wasn't actually there because he was busy pleading the 5th over 400 times in a criminal tax evasion deposition
    It is a civil deposition.
    Ceterum censeo Carthaginem esse delendam

His lawyer was never served a warrant (his lawyer's signature is on the warrant)
    He didn't say his lawyer didn't see the warrant, he said she barely got a chance to read it.

The FBI planted evidence to frame him (He and his family were able to watch the entire thing via CCTV, so there's literally no way)
    Right. It's impossible for the FBI to add a few documents to the pile of documents they stole in order to frame him.

You can call bullshit on his allegations all you want, but don't gaslight the shit out of everyone by claiming it is literally impossible to plant evidence simply because his house had CCTV.

It is absolutely stunning for you to say we can't trust Trump because he supposedly lies all of the time while you yourself are lying through your teeth in the very same post.
    Last edited by Tgo01; 08-13-2022 at 03:01 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Gelston View Post
    It is a civil deposition.
    That's actually a fair fact check. I mixed up the cases. Respectfully withdrawn.

Blog Entries

That's actually a fair fact check. I mixed up the cases. Respectfully withdrawn.
    There are two parallel cases. They haven't gotten to questioning him about the criminal one yet.
    Ceterum censeo Carthaginem esse delendam

He didn't say his lawyer didn't see the warrant, he said she barely got a chance to read it.

What kind of lawyer signs something of this importance without reading it first?

Right. It's impossible for the FBI to add a few documents to the pile of documents they stole in order to frame him.

You can call bullshit on his allegations all you want, but don't gaslight the shit out of everyone by claiming it is literally impossible to plant evidence simply because his house had CCTV.

It is absolutely stunning for you to say we can't trust Trump because he supposedly lies all of the time while you yourself are lying through your teeth in the very same post.
    Tgo saying they were "barely able to see it" is the equivalent of saying they weren't given the warrant. Because if they had been given the warrant, it would be impossible to say they didn't have time to see it. And Trump's lawyer had a full statement about the contents of the warrant based on a copy in their possession literally the next day.

And yes Tgo, you're right that it's theoretically possible the FBI planted evidence. But the fact that the entire thing was being watched by Trump and his family on CCTV makes it VERY unlikely. I'll also point out that Trump lied about this too, claiming that the FBI allowed NO witnesses while also hinting that there was somehow something unusual about his lawyer not being allowed to watch the raid. (There isn't)

And PS Christopher Wray, head of the FBI, is a Trump appointee.

You are falling into the same loop that I called you out on to begin with Tgo. You're not paying attention to the multitude of lies Trump has been spitting out in rapid fire since this happened. And you're also blatantly ignoring the fact that Trump hasn't presented a single bit of evidence that anything was planted. One might expect him to say something like "We went through those records thoroughly, and I can attest that there was no TS/ISC or other classified information in there when we searched". Instead he's going with a vague hypothetical. "They COULD HAVE planted evidence!" He loves to do that.

And my whole point here is that you have completely excised any and all common sense you have in this situation. You KNOW better.
    Last edited by time4fun; 08-13-2022 at 03:59 PM.