Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Wildfire Smoke

Default Wildfire Smoke

Anyone else on the west coast absolutely choking from this smoke? We did a local move last week and of fucking course the AC died when the movers removed the front door to get the refrigerator in.

We have two window AC units and 6 air purifiers running in the living room. I also picked up the $30 smoke rated HVAC air filters and slapped them on the back of a couple box fans.

I'm doing all I can to protect my family, but the AQI has been sitting at like 250 the last few days and it'll stay that way all week according to the forecast.

Guess we'll all just slowly choke to death here.

That's crazy. Hopefully things improve soon.

I'm in Reno, NV. Luckily my wife's family lives in the Bay area so she'll take her asthmatic grandma and our kids there and I'll just sit here and choke in it.

It's not safe for anyone here, it's ridiculously smoggy and disgusting. Everytime I open the door to check my plants or let the dogs out, I just visualize this acrid smoke that you can't see up close, but you know is there (because you can smell it immediately and can't see more than a quarter mile away in the distance.)

Personally, I've gone through two deployments as a Marine infantryman to Iraq and this is more mentally taxing than anything I experienced overseas. It's everywhere and you can taste it when you're outside for more than 2 minutes.

I feel almost guilty because the air quality here in Portland has been great because we are west of all the major fires. Sorry for sending it all your way, everyone.
    Discord: Kyaloria#0165

Blog Entries

We had some in Phoenix earlier this month but last season was real bad. It's gone now, currently being inundated in a biblical flood. See you down in Arizona Bay.
    You had better pay your guild dues before you forget. You are 113 months behind.

Quote Originally Posted by MokiePrime View Post
    I feel almost guilty because the air quality here in Portland has been great because we are west of all the major fires. Sorry for sending it all your way, everyone.
    Fellow Portlander here...whats up!!!
    The only rude person I met was a taxi driver in kagoshima. I was going from the train station to the ferry to take it over to an island and was showing him my papers and he was like "oh, climb mountain?" and I'm like "hai, yep!" and he made a muscle pose(bent arm, whatever you call it) laughed, and rubbed my belly.. like "oh, no, you fat american fuck, you no get up there", but whatever - Japhrimel

Blog Entries

I remember back when I was stationed at Camp Pendleton, we had so many wildfires. I remember a big one, I think 2016, where on Sunday I could see the smoke way up north, by tuesday we were evacuated to an airstrip. Fire on both sides of us. Woke up covered in ash.

Another fire my battalion kinda caused. We were doing land nav exercises and crap, and then we saw a fire and heard the alarm to get back. We did, but the trucks had already tore ass out of there and left like 20 of us behind. The fire was spreading fast, and I remember we just ran about two miles out in all our gear, the fire was on both sides of us. It was fun as hell.
    Ceterum censeo Carthaginem esse delendam

Quote Originally Posted by Gompers View Post
    Anyone else on the west coast absolutely choking from this smoke? We did a local move last week and of fucking course the AC died when the movers removed the front door to get the refrigerator in.
    Your ac shouldn't die when you remove a door for an hour. Might be a simple fix like the condensation line is backed up. Just put a wet/dry vac on the line and suck the water out.. that might reset the overflow switch if that's the problem.

Good idea about the box fans and the HEPA filters. You should see a huge difference if you are keeping your doors and windows closed, as you are only filtering out the air inside your home.
    Last edited by Parkbandit; 07-26-2021 at 10:31 AM.
    PC RETARD HALL OF FAME

Quote Originally Posted by Seran-the Current Retard Champion View Post
    Besides, Republicans also block abstinence and contraceptives anyway.
    Quote Originally Posted by Seran-the Current Retard Champion View Post
    Regulating firearms to keep them out of the hands of criminals, the unhinged, etc. meets the first test of the 2nd amendment, 'well-regulated'.

Quote Originally Posted by SHAFT View Post
    You show me a video of me typing that and Ill admit it. (This was the excuse he came up with when he was called out for a really stupid post)
    Quote Originally Posted by Back View Post
    3 million more popular votes. I'd say the numbers speak for themselves. Gerrymandering won for Trump.

Quote Originally Posted by Gompers View Post
    Anyone else on the west coast absolutely choking from this smoke?
    We were actually seeing the smoke haze from your west coast fires over here on the east coast last week. Sunny days but grayed out from smoke. Not seeing it this week though. Here's hoping for a week of rain for you.
    Make Shattered a $5 stand-alone subscription

Quote Originally Posted by Parkbandit View Post
    Your ac shouldn't die when you remove a door for an hour. Might be a simple fix like the condensation line is backed up. Just put a wet/dry vac on the line and suck the water out.. that might reset the overflow switch if that's the problem.

Good idea about the box fans and the HEPA filters. You should see a huge difference if you are keeping your doors and windows closed, as you are only filtering out the air inside your home.
    On move in day it was 104° outside. As soon as they removed the door I turned off the AC. The unit at the new house we're in was made in 1994.

When I kicked it back on it tries to run but the main fan in the outside unit doesn't move. Seems like the compressor is running for a few minutes and then just turns itself off.

As far as the HVAC filters and box fans - yeah, humongous improvement. I also taped painters plastic over the windows where the window unit exhaust is, because smoke was definitely leaching in from it not having a perfect seal.

AC guy is coming on Tuesday so there's light at the end of the tunnel but it's been insane here.