Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Felons Voting

Question Felons Voting

Should felons who have served their prison sentences be allowed to vote?

SEATTLE — Gov. Jay Inslee on Wednesday signed a bill automatically restoring voting rights to people who have been released from prison after committing felonies, even if they are still on parole — a measure sponsored by a lawmaker who was herself formerly incarcerated.

“While other states are restricting the right to vote, I’m glad that in Washington, we are expanding access to democracy,” Inslee said.

More...

According to Wikipedia, Florida is, of course, the state with the highest percentage of its population ineligible to vote because of felony convictions. What a horrible place Florida must be. More alligators, more giant snakes, more house-size sinkholes, more brain-eating amoebas, and more felons than other states. Mississippi is the state with the second highest percentage. In Mississippi, if a felon wants to regain the right to vote, all he has to do is convince 2/3rds of both houses to the state legislature to vote to restore his voting rights. Then you have, in order, Kentucky, Tennessee, Virginia and Alabama.
    There are decades where nothing happens; and there are weeks where decades happen.

There is already a process to restore voting rights once you have served your sentence. Parole is a released on good behavior but eligible to be back in jail in a few hours should you mess up system so no, you should not be eligible to vote while on parole since you have not served your sentence.

As to Florida, well, one must consider, given all those bad things, people are still moving there in droves because of the weather, social, economic and political climate. But hey, the Northeast is still looking down on them.
    I asked for neither your Opinion,
    your Acceptance
    nor your Permission.

"The darkest places in hell are reserved for those who maintain their neutrality in times of moral crisis." Dante Alighieri 3
    "It took 2000 mules to install one Jackass." Diamond and Silk Watch the Movie

Blog Entries

I don't think voting should ever be taken away, to be frank. If you are a US Citizen, prisoner, felon, or not, you should be able to vote.
    Ceterum censeo Carthaginem esse delendam

Quote Originally Posted by Gelston View Post
    I don't think voting should ever be taken away, to be frank. If you are a US Citizen, prisoner, felon, or not, you should be able to vote.
    I disagree.

I think it should be - voting rights suspended if serving a sentence (either in prison or on parole). If non-violent crime - once sentence served, voting rights reinstated. If a violent crime (rape, murder, child abuse, etc.) - voting rights are not reinstated.
    Last edited by Shaps; 04-08-2021 at 02:17 PM.

5. Default

Quote Originally Posted by Skeletor View Post
    Beautiful plant on the dresser! Why that person is blocking part of it, I have no idea. Wish they'd move.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Shaps View Post
    I disagree.

I think it should be - voting rights suspended if serving a sentence (either in prison or on parole). If non-violent crime - once sentence served, voting rights reinstated. If a violent crime (rape, murder, child abuse, etc.) - voting rights are not reinstated.
    Can you give me a reason why their voting rights should be removed?

Just seems wrong to me that someone sitting on death row for murdering dozens of people is able to participate in a system which tells me how I can live my life. I don't want politicians fighting for the murderer and rapist vote.

When you are convicted of a felony and are in prison, so many rights you have as a member of society are already taken away. What makes voting different?

If you don't want your right to vote taken away, don't be a criminal.

With that being said... when people get out of jail having done their time, I think they should get some of their rights back. Voting is one I believe you should be able to get back.

But while you are in jail, you should have no rights.
    PC RETARD HALL OF FAME

Quote Originally Posted by Seran-the Current Retard Champion View Post
    Besides, Republicans also block abstinence and contraceptives anyway.
    Quote Originally Posted by Seran-the Current Retard Champion View Post
    Regulating firearms to keep them out of the hands of criminals, the unhinged, etc. meets the first test of the 2nd amendment, 'well-regulated'.

Quote Originally Posted by SHAFT View Post
    You show me a video of me typing that and Ill admit it. (This was the excuse he came up with when he was called out for a really stupid post)
    Quote Originally Posted by Back View Post
    3 million more popular votes. I'd say the numbers speak for themselves. Gerrymandering won for Trump.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Tgo01 View Post
    Just seems wrong to me that someone sitting on death row for murdering dozens of people is able to participate in a system which tells me how I can live my life. I don't want politicians fighting for the murderer and rapist vote.
    Death row I can see arguments for, as they are essentially being stripped of their life anyways. Other than that, though, nope.

Quote Originally Posted by Parkbandit View Post
    When you are convicted of a felony and are in prison, so many rights you have as a member of society are already taken away. What makes voting different?

If you don't want your right to vote taken away, don't be a criminal.

With that being said... when people get out of jail having done their time, I think they should get some of their rights back. Voting is one I believe you should be able to get back.

But while you are in jail, you should have no rights.
    My thing, I'm losing faith in the abilities of the Government. The "felons can't vote" thing just seems like an easy way to strip people of voting rights.
    Last edited by Gelston; 04-08-2021 at 02:38 PM.