Page 2 of 50 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: Ruth Bader Ginsburg died

Quote Originally Posted by Tgo01 View Post
    Chuck Schumer's first tweet in response to this news:

https://twitter.com/SenSchumer/statu...963428357?s=20

This was literally minutes after the news broke. It's like he had the tweet saved just waiting for the minute RBG died so he could troll McConnell. Keep it classy, Chucky.
    They did. It was the 2016 election.

Trump won and he will win this election too.

Quote Originally Posted by Taernath View Post
    Remember when Senate Republicans refused to consider Supreme Court nominations from Obama because "it was an election year"? Pepperidge Farm remembers.
    The justification there is that at that time, the president was a democrat and the senate was controlled by Republicans, so they consider it a different situation, since basically both have to rubber stamp the appointee. Again, this is how you "win", no one wins at politics being the nice guy, because there are way too many sharks that eat the nice guys alive. Once a nice guy gets eaten a few times, he either gives up or becomes a shark. Over and over again we go.

I'll be *really* surprised if it is someone Trump doesn't have a past with. And I mean really, really, really surprised. Which would be nice to be surprised these days, because not a lot is.
    Last edited by Blazar; 09-18-2020 at 08:28 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Blazar View Post
    The justification there is that at that time, the president was a democrat and the senate was controlled by Republicans, so they consider it a different situation, since basically both have to rubber stamp the appointee.
    No. The justification was Obama was in his second term and it was an election year, meaning there was no way Obama was going to be president after the election.

You don't have to like the justification because it really doesn't matter what anyone likes. The Senate makes the rules for how they operate. Tell your party to win more Senate seats if they want to control how the Senate operates.

Quote Originally Posted by Tgo01 View Post
    No. The justification was Obama was in his second term and it was an election year, meaning there was no way Obama was going to be president after the election.

You don't have to like the justification because it really doesn't matter what anyone likes. The Senate makes the rules for how they operate. Tell your party to win more Senate seats if they want to control how the Senate operates.
    Again you're wrong, but there's nothing new there, is there? And again with the "your party" dumbass shit. Just because you're a sheep that blindly follows a party and everything they do, not all of us are like that. I'm a libertarian if anything (as I've told you dozens of times), even if it is a two party system because the smart ones realize that the two party system will be the downfall of this country. Our founding fathers knew it, and other smart people do too. You rabid idiots that are team blue or team red are the fucking problem. Get smarter, suck less.

https://thehill.com/homenews/senate/498133-graham-on-potential-supreme-court-vacancy-this-would-be-a-different

“Well, Merrick Garland was a different situation. You had the president of one party nominating, and you had the Senate in the hands of the other party. A situation where you've got them both would be different. I don't want to speculate, but I think appointing judges is a high priority for me in 2020,” Graham said in an interview on “Full Court Press with Greta Van Susteren” set to air Sunday.

"If you look into the history of the country, there had not been an occasion where somebody was confirmed in a presidential election year after primary started when you had divided government," he added.
    https://www.foxnews.com/politics/dem...acancy-in-2020

But McConnell's communications director pushed back agains the criticism, explaining why McConnell's position is different now than it was in 2016. He argued that while in 2020 the White House and Senate will be controlled by the same party, that was not the case during President Obama's last year in office.
    Last edited by Blazar; 09-18-2020 at 08:41 PM.

Again you're wrong, but there's nothing new there, is there? And again with the "your party" dumbass shit. Just because you're a sheep that blindly follows a party and everything they do, not all of us are like that. I'm a libertarian if anything (as I've told you dozens of times), even if it is a two party system because the smart ones realize that the two party system will be the downfall of this country. Our founding fathers knew it, and other smart people do too. You rabid idiots that are team blue or team red are the fucking problem. Get smarter, suck less.

https://thehill.com/homenews/senate/498133-graham-on-potential-supreme-court-vacancy-this-would-be-a-different

https://www.foxnews.com/politics/dem...acancy-in-2020
    Crymoar

I may not have agreed on several things with her, but she was still a Supreme Court Justice, and she tried to do what she felt was right. She agreed on some things, disagreed on some as well. I never met her, but I hope she was an overall good person.

Rest in Peace, Justice Ginsburg.

Leave it to me to foresee the consequences that you have all missed.

All Republican Senate candidates in close races will have to answer before the election whether or not they will vote for a replacement nominated by Trump if Trump is not reelected. In some states, especially Maine, the answer to that question may determine the outcome of the Senate race.

Nominating someone before the election will be risky for Trump. The safer course would be to promise that he will appoint someone great but that he will wait until after the election so as not to politicize it. Promising a great judicial nominee is a lot easier than finding one, sort of like how promising a great health plan is easier than revealing one.

If Trump nominates someone before the election and if it appears likely that the Senate will confirm the nominee, then Trump will suffer electorally among conservatives who approve of the nominee. "What!?" I hear you asking through the computer screen. Allow me to explain. Another conservative Supreme Court judge would give conservatives a 6-3 margin on the court. Without the pressing need for a Supreme Court majority, religious conservatives who support Trump solely to regain the court will be relieved that they will not have to vote for a candidate they loathe.

I am not predicting the following, but it would not surprise me. Realizing the above, Trump might announce that he will nominate someone great if he is reelected but that he will not nominate anyone after the election if he is not reelected.

It will take the experts several days to think through it to reach the same conclusions.

Blog Entries

The justification there is that at that time, the president was a democrat and the senate was controlled by Republicans, so they consider it a different situation, since basically both have to rubber stamp the appointee. Again, this is how you "win", no one wins at politics being the nice guy, because there are way too many sharks that eat the nice guys alive. Once a nice guy gets eaten a few times, he either gives up or becomes a shark. Over and over again we go.

I'll be *really* surprised if it is someone Trump doesn't have a past with. And I mean really, really, really surprised. Which would be nice to be surprised these days, because not a lot is.
    I'm aware of what their justification was and of how politics work. At the end of the day it was more obstructionist rules for thee but not for me bullshit.
    You had better pay your guild dues before you forget. You are 113 months behind.

Quote Originally Posted by Taernath View Post
    Remember when Senate Republicans refused to consider Supreme Court nominations from Obama because "it was an election year"? Pepperidge Farm remembers.
    And remember how mad you were? I would think you would be 100% for President Trump to nominate someone...
    PC RETARD HALL OF FAME

Quote Originally Posted by Seran-the Current Retard Champion View Post
    Besides, Republicans also block abstinence and contraceptives anyway.
    Quote Originally Posted by Seran-the Current Retard Champion View Post
    Regulating firearms to keep them out of the hands of criminals, the unhinged, etc. meets the first test of the 2nd amendment, 'well-regulated'.

Quote Originally Posted by SHAFT View Post
    You show me a video of me typing that and Ill admit it. (This was the excuse he came up with when he was called out for a really stupid post)
    Quote Originally Posted by Back View Post
    3 million more popular votes. I'd say the numbers speak for themselves. Gerrymandering won for Trump.

There are a few things in motion right now, and for some of them it's pretty clear where things are headed while for others it's wild cards.

Dems will be fired up. Republicans will be fired up. Independents will likely start breaking for Democrats as they don't like it when one party has too much power.
    This will fire up Democrats, but candidly this tends to be motivating to the group that's already definitely going to vote no matter what. This will fire up Trump supporters, and that will matter. It will grab him a few points from Evangelicals who had started to soften a bit on him. Independents in the US genuinely dislike when one party appears to have too much power, and they tend to break heavily for the other party in those cases, and it's very likely that we'll see that play out here. But these groups don't show up in equal proportions around the country, so it's really unclear what the overall thrust of this will be.

Collins and Gardener went from almost assuredly toast to the walking dead.
    As far as the Senate goes, Collins and Gardener just saw their slim chances of holding on evaporate. Regardless, they'll want to try to hold on so they won't be voting to push a nomination process forward before the election. McConnell won't try anyway.

McSally is probably still going to lose (and that really matters)
    If McSally were anyone other than herself, this would likely mean that she would coast to re-election. But she's not, and Kelly has a huge lead right now. She only has a GOP defection rate of about 5-6%, which isn't much to work with here, and she's getting slaughtered with independents already- who are likely to be even more skeptical of her after this. But it's AZ, so you never know for sure.

Tillis should thank his lucky stars
    Tillis likely just got the hail mary he's been praying for. At minimum, this will likely take his race from most likely out of the running to legitimately neck and neck. He was missing about 20% of the GOP vote in North Carolina. They'll likely find their way back home after this.

Kelly may throw a massive wrench into everything for McConnell if he wins
    Arizona is the single most important race, however. If Kelly wins he can be sworn into the Senate as early as Nov 30th since he would be replacing McCain's replacement. It would be his job to carry out the rest of McCain's term. At that point in time, the Senate is at a 52-48 split. Murkowski and Collins are not likely to vote for anyone Trump nominates this time. Collins will be on her way out and likely won't want this to be her legacy. And Murkowski has enough cover with the Garland situation. That puts the votes 50-50.

Cory Gardener may be the next John McCain...or just the next Collins.
    At that point in time, you just need one Cory Gardener- who loathes Donald Trump and who will be on his way out the door- to decide if he wants to vote his party or his conscience.

McConnell almost assuredly retains his position next year now.
    Last edited by time4fun; 09-18-2020 at 09:59 PM.