Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Where does the buck stop?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Stumplicker View Post
    While that might be a workable loophole, if anything goes wrong in the near future that those funds could (should) have been used for instead, it amounts to political suicide. You drain disaster relief to build a wall for a divisive issue and Katrina II hits or something, you're pretty much done.

I think that's something they'll steer clear of.
    Nah. If anything goes wrong in the future, Congress will approve more funds, or they'll look like assholes. They might talk shit and say Trump took it, but they aren't going to say no to approving more cash for disaster relief.
    Last edited by Gelston; 01-11-2019 at 09:57 AM.
    Ceterum censeo Carthaginem esse delendam

2. Default

Quote Originally Posted by Gelston View Post
    Nah. If anything goes wrong in the future, Congress will approve more funds, or they'll look like assholes. They might talk shit and say Trump took it, but they aren't going to say no to approving more cash for disaster relief.
    Sure of course they'd get the money elsewhere. But it would reflect really, really poorly on the guy who, let's be honest, misappropriated 14 billion dollars to get something unrelated done. No matter if you can squint at it really hard and declare it a disaster within the bounds of the law...that's not the sort of disaster that money is for, and we all know it. Edit to add: Coming up on an election year..that's just a bad bet to make. That's why I think they'll steer clear. But Trump's pretty impulsive, so you never know.
    Last edited by Stumplicker; 01-11-2019 at 10:10 AM.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Stumplicker View Post
    Sure of course they'd get the money elsewhere. But it would reflect really, really poorly on the guy who, let's be honest, misappropriated 14 billion dollars to get something unrelated done. No matter if you can squint at it really hard and declare it a disaster within the bounds of the law...that's not the sort of disaster that money is for, and we all know it.
    It wouldn't though. The money is actually left over from the California Fires and the Hurricane. They pass new emergency funding bills for almost every disaster. The future would be no different.

I'm more thinking it'll be a "You either give me the 5.7, or I take this 14 and do it without you."
    Last edited by Gelston; 01-11-2019 at 10:12 AM.

Interesting, Trump might beable to tap into about 14 billion dollars set aside for Disaster Relief funds, paying for the USACE to build it.

Senator Graham is asking for Trump to go ahead and declare a National Emergency at the border.
    I think that's a terrible idea.

It's pulling a Dirty Harry Reid..
    PC RETARD HALL OF FAME

Quote Originally Posted by Seran-the Current Retard Champion View Post
    Besides, Republicans also block abstinence and contraceptives anyway.
    Regulating firearms to keep them out of the hands of criminals, the unhinged, etc. meets the first test of the 2nd amendment, 'well-regulated'.

Quote Originally Posted by SHAFT View Post
    You show me a video of me typing that and Ill admit it. (This was the excuse he came up with when he was called out for a really stupid post)
    Quote Originally Posted by Back View Post
    3 million more popular votes. I'd say the numbers speak for themselves. Gerrymandering won for Trump.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Parkbandit View Post
    I think that's a terrible idea.

It's pulling a Dirty Harry Reid..
    I'd prefer he went through Congress. I don't like the precedent it would set. Imagine another President, say a liberal one, doing the same for gun violence or what not. Still, it is an option, and one I think would hold up in court.

I'd prefer he went through Congress. I don't like the precedent it would set. Imagine another President, say a liberal one, doing the same for gun violence or what not. Still, it is an option, and one I think would hold up in court.
    I've heard that reasoning from other people.. but taking people's guns is specifically against the Constitution and would certainly lead to court battles.

It does set a terrible precedent though. I'm not sure it's an "emergency" at this point, given that it's been going on my entire adult life and every single President has kicked that can down the road until now.. but I do like how he took the liberal talking point of "humanitarian crisis" and forced them to say it's not a crisis anymore... where it was before the election with the caravan.

I never thought it was possible.. but liberals are looking more hypocritical since Trump was elected.. and I love it.
    Last edited by Parkbandit; 01-11-2019 at 10:20 AM.
    PC RETARD HALL OF FAME

Besides, Republicans also block abstinence and contraceptives anyway.
    Regulating firearms to keep them out of the hands of criminals, the unhinged, etc. meets the first test of the 2nd amendment, 'well-regulated'.

Quote Originally Posted by SHAFT View Post
    You show me a video of me typing that and Ill admit it. (This was the excuse he came up with when he was called out for a really stupid post)
    Quote Originally Posted by Back View Post
    3 million more popular votes. I'd say the numbers speak for themselves. Gerrymandering won for Trump.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Parkbandit View Post
    I've heard that reasoning from other people.. but taking people's guns is specifically against the Constitution and would certainly lead to court battles.

It does set a terrible precedent though. I'm not sure it's an "emergency" at this point, given that it's been going on my entire adult life and every single President has kicked that can down the road until now.. but I do like how he took the liberal talking point of "humanitarian crisis" and forced them to say it's not a crisis anymore... where it was before the election with the caravan.

I never thought it was possible.. but liberals are looking more hypocritical since Trump was elected.. and I love it.
    I was using that particular gun violence thing more as an example, but honestly, the Second Amendment has been tarnished to the point that I don't think it'll mean as much in the future. I could see it in the future. Look at California.

Back.

There are many places where physical barriers make sense and are in fact the best solution to securing the border. They should be constructed without delay.
    The first sentence is them validating the need for a wall.

In other locations, we need to turn to technology, which thanks to modern advances is robust and effective. In other areas, we need more human resources to ensure security. Likely, in all locations we will need some blend of physical barriers, technology and human resources to be successful.
    Again, a wall as well as a call to larger budgets in border patrol. To afford the sensors and drones they need to supplement a physical wall.

The ultimate goal of these efforts should be the complete and total operational security of our southern border. Endless debate about what constitutes a “wall” and who pays for it does little to advance much needed border security.
    Actions above words. Which is why the government is shut down. Tell me who is pushing for more security at the border? In the form of a...

As we discuss border security, we need to remember the importance of addressing our Ports of Entry (POE)
    Our border checkpoints need updating as well as more hands. So, technological and personnel in addition to the wall. That's what they are calling for here.

Commerce with Mexico through the POEs is vital to the economy of the United States and pumps billions into our economy. Allowing Mexican citizens the ability to cross into the United States to engage in legitimate commerce is also vital to the economy of border regions.
    Yes, indeed. Legitimate commerce is vital to growing border regions. Legitimate. So, not narcotics or human trafficking. Which an increase in border security as well as a physical based barrier, will keep those legitimate businesses... legitimate.

You know better than this.

9. Default

Trump even shut down an offer that the Republicans came up with. This isn't about the wall, this is all about Trump and his incredibly fragile ego.

Quote Originally Posted by Androidpk View Post
    Trump even shut down an offer that the Republicans came up with. This isn't about the wall, this is all about Trump and his incredibly fragile ego.
    Or it could be about the egos of Skelator and Lying Chuckie which is much more likely since Trump has already given a lot of ground in offers and they haven't given shit. It is painfully obvious to anyone that has negotiated anything of value that you have absolutely no clue on how negotiation works and that you have drunk all the Koolaid and gobbled all the Leftist cock.
    I asked for neither your Opinion,
    your Acceptance
    nor your Permission.

"The darkest places in hell are reserved for those who maintain their neutrality in times of moral crisis." Dante Alighieri 3
    "It took 2000 mules to install one Jackass." Diamond and Silk Watch the Movie