Page 14 of 14 FirstFirst ... 4121314

Thread: 1206 jackpot

Page 7 is the discussion about WoW server costs that never happened.

Never forget!

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Astray View Post

Never forget!
    What kind of miscreant refers to pages instead of post numbers? The kind that has their posts-per-page set to something obscenely low, I bet.

The '1200-a-minute' claim was made on post 68.
    You had better pay your guild dues before you forget. You are 113 months behind.

Quote Originally Posted by Taernath View Post
    What kind of miscreant refers to pages instead of post numbers? The kind that has their posts-per-page set to something obscenely low, I bet.

The '1200-a-minute' claim was made on post 68.
    I'm driving!

Never forget!
    In all its glory, minus quotes that posts are quoting which make some look weird

Quote Originally Posted by Neveragain View Post
    Took a short time to research what it costs for one of the top WOW private servers to run. The best numbers I could find was $1200 a month, this is for two different server instances and the ability to have 10,000+ active player accounts.
    Quote Originally Posted by time4fun View Post
    You realize that's about what Blizzard spends per minute to run one of their servers, right?

Please tell me you don't think Stillfront is paying $1200 a month for servers.
    Quote Originally Posted by Methais View Post
    Private servers aren't run by Blizzard and your math is terrible.

$1200 per minute also comes out to $51,840,000 per month. To run 1 WoW server.
    Quote Originally Posted by Neveragain View Post
    Blizzard currently has roughly 30 million active WOW subscribers if you go by the newest leaked information. I'm not accounting for Stillfronts other projects, just Gemstone. Gemstone could run on that private server cost, easy.

Just admit to yourself that you're paying for special attention.
    Quote Originally Posted by Gelston View Post
    You believe Blizzard is paying 600 million a year to run one server? Are you this fucking stupid for real?
    Closer to 841 million. You'd need multiple gender studies degrees to afford that.
    hyperbole honey. look it up.

They pay about $5m a month per server, I believe.

SO MUCH SARCASM OMG OMG OMG OMG

Quote Originally Posted by Stumplicker View Post
    No, you look it up. You're the one in fantasy land spouting nonsense numbers. Go ahead and link your source. We'll wait while you photoshop your NETWORK+ and MCSA.
    WoW has over 9000 servers around the world. They aren't paying 5m each a month. Again, stop making shit up.
    Literally the first thing from google.
    Yeah, they're totally paying 45 billion a month to keep servers up.
    You mean the random nobody who pulled that number out of his ass on quora? Yeah, I also saw that. I just want Vishra to link it as her source.

Edit: and by the way, WoW servers use a shard system now, like many MMOs, meaning it's very difficult to pick out just one server and decide on a cost. They all share the load and interact in ways that allow players to group across servers. Those numbers also spike or wane based on where they are in relation to an expansion release, kind of like how when BFA came out, 150,000 people were watching it on twitch, and now 15,000 are.

The numbers Vishra came up with are pure fantasy. WoW doesn't even release its player counts anymore, much less its operating costs, and hasn't done the former since 2014.

Edit to add: and by the way, all those people running private WoW servers that Blizzard served notices to when they decided they wanted to release Vanilla WoW servers? They were not paying 5 million dollars per month to run them.
    I doubt that's the actual cost but without released figures, there's nothing but estimates roaming around.
    Let me just say if your estimates say 45 billion a month, they are probably wrong.
    Agreed.
    I'd accept 5m a month as maybe all the servers in the US region, but not for a single one.
    For someone with 17 fake degrees in gender studies and feminism, she sure sets feminism back a hundred years by consistently being the dumbest person on the face of the planet.
    The first result on Google is where time4fun gets all of her stellar news reporting from. She just usually dresses up her posts with links that look like this to make it look like she knows what she's talking about.

Anyway back to Earth...

This is from 2008, but still...

https://www.theregister.co.uk/2008/0...t_upkeep_200m/
    So basically 50m a year for their entire operation. Even 5m a month for all their servers is too high in that case.
    Yes. And that includes fire extinguisher inspections.
    God you'd better hope that's not true. Because if it is- then it means it only takes one google search ever to show that you never have any idea of what you're talking about.
    Still waiting on your totally not Quora, totally not first Google hit, totally not It'S cAlLeD hYpErBoLe HoNeY source.
    I don't have the ability to give you common sense.

Clearly.
    Sweet deflection. Just admit you were totally full of shit and move along.
    Apparently your inability to handle nuance isn't just limited to the politics folder.

Shocking.
    Is "common sense" where you decided that it costs 5 million dollars per month to run a single server?
    I'd also assume that as time went on they'd find a way to mitigate cost for more profits.
    Nuance? You made up some bullshit number, then said oh no, it was hyperbole, then you said another number that was completely wrong. Just admit that you don't fucking know everything for once.
    She is googling 'how to prove Gelston is stupid' as we speak.
    No genius- I didn't. Neveragain did.

You think I just "happened" to believe that Neveragain's yearly game server estimate was magically the per-minute cost for Blizzard to run its own severs?

Honey, even you're not this stupid.
    Feel free to show me the first result on google that says this.

Then feel free to acknowledge that using the first result on Google is exactly what you just did while trying to tell us how things work over at Blizzard despite not even being in the same town much less the same ballpark.

Even cwolff would be like "Yeah I was wrong about those numbers."

Or did your wrong answer just happen to line up exactly with the first result on Google in an astounding coincidence? If this is the case, please let us know.
    Yeah, neither of these are you posting bullshit numbers. Even if we ignore the first one, you still BELIEVED your post on the second one. So no, you are just full of shit.
    I think the bullshit number he's referring to is right here. And I believe you happen to believe it, because you specifically used the words "I believe".
    Yeah, the first one should have been for "their" server. And it's what they pay in hardware infra costs to keep WoW going.

And I don't know how to explain sarcasm to you, so you'll just have to live with the second one.

I know you're desperate to finally win an argument, but this is sad.
    Jesus, I didn't know why you guys gave her so much shit over the years. I had never really paid attention to what she was saying until she claimed a fake degree in a field I have an actual degree in and was talking out of her ass one night.

I am sorry, and you guys were right.
    FWIW, the only 'source' I can find that claims $5mil/month per server is that idiot on Quora. If she's not getting it from him, I don't know where it's coming from.
    Super secret insider information.
    So just to be clear, are you saying you were being sarcastic when you said:

?
    She works for Activision Blizzard in their Gender Studies department.
    Last edited by Methais; 12-30-2018 at 01:27 PM.
    Discord: 3PiecesOfToast
    [Private]-GSIV:Nyatherra: "Until this moment i forgot that i changed your name to Biff Muffbanger on Lnet"
    Quote Originally Posted by Back View Post
    I am a retard. I'm disabled. I'm poor. I'm black. I'm gay. I'm transgender. I'm a woman. I'm diagnosed with cancer. I'm a human being.
    So here's the deal- I am just horrible

NEVER HAPPENED METHAIS!

Also, apparently I threatened to kill PK. LOL

Blog Entries

You're doing the Lord's work, Methais.
    You had better pay your guild dues before you forget. You are 113 months behind.

You're doing the Lord's work, Methais.

Last edited by Methais; 12-30-2018 at 01:49 PM.
    Discord: 3PiecesOfToast
    [Private]-GSIV:Nyatherra: "Until this moment i forgot that i changed your name to Biff Muffbanger on Lnet"
    Quote Originally Posted by Back View Post
    I am a retard. I'm disabled. I'm poor. I'm black. I'm gay. I'm transgender. I'm a woman. I'm diagnosed with cancer. I'm a human being.
    So here's the deal- I am just horrible