Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The Case for Reparations

Default The Case for Reparations

Opinon piece from David Brooks who has had a change of heart after reading author Ta-Nehisi Coates (also writer for Marvel's current run of Black Panther comics) and seeing first hand the racial divide in America.

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/03/07/o...parations.html

The Case for Reparations

Nearly five years ago I read Ta-Nehisi Coates’s Atlantic article “The Case for Reparations,” with mild disagreement. All sorts of practical objections leapt to mind. What about the recent African immigrants? What about the poor whites who have nothing of what you would call privilege? Do we pay Oprah and LeBron?

But I have had so many experiences over the past year — sitting, for example, with an elderly black woman in South Carolina shaking in rage because the kids in her neighborhood face greater challenges than she did growing up in 1953 — that suggest we are at another moment of make-or-break racial reckoning.

Coates’s essay seems right now, especially this part: “And so we must imagine a new country. Reparations — by which I mean the full acceptance of our collective biography and its consequences — is the price we must pay to see ourselves squarely. … What I’m talking about is more than recompense for past injustices — more than a handout, a payoff, hush money, or a reluctant bribe. What I’m talking about is a national reckoning that would lead to spiritual renewal.”

We’re a nation coming apart at the seams, a nation in which each tribe has its own narrative and the narratives are generally resentment narratives. The African-American experience is somehow at the core of this fragmentation — the original sin that hardens the heart, separates Americans from one another and serves as model and fuel for other injustices.

The need now is to consolidate all the different narratives and make them reconciliation and possibility narratives, in which all feel known. That requires direct action, a concrete gesture of respect that makes possible the beginning of a new chapter in our common life. Reparations are a drastic policy and hard to execute, but the very act of talking about and designing them heals a wound and opens a new story.
    Last edited by Back; 03-08-2019 at 04:07 PM.

Blog Entries

I don't see any case for reparations there.
    Ceterum censeo Carthaginem esse delendam

Quote Originally Posted by Gelston View Post
    I don't see any case for reparations there.
    No kidding. It's just a bunch of words that don't really seem to have any real meaning. Just a bunch of virtue signaling so we all know how "woke" Brooks is.

If you want to make a case for reparations, you can't just tell me that everyone is divided and we should throw money at the problem.

Blog Entries

I read the original 2014 article a while ago. It's interesting and I think Coates makes some good points, but no one has really come up with any specifics. Public works -maybe- depending on how it's handled. Handing out cash, fuck no. The more recent victims and their families should absolutely be compensated by the companies that robbed them, though.
    You had better pay your guild dues before you forget. You are 113 months behind.

Quote Originally Posted by Back View Post
    Opinon piece from David Brooks who has had a change of heart after reading author Ta-Nehisi Coates (also writer for Marvel's current run of Black Panther comics) and seeing first hand the racial divide in America.

This is stupid. Thanks for posting it.

Quote Originally Posted by Taernath View Post
    I read the original 2014 article a while ago. It's interesting and I think Coates makes some good points, but no one has really come up with any specifics. Public works -maybe- depending on how it's handled. Handing out cash, fuck no. The more recent victims and their families should absolutely be compensated by the companies that robbed them, though.
    Posting the Coates article here as well.

https://www.theatlantic.com/magazine...ations/361631/

Quote Originally Posted by Tgo01 View Post
    No kidding. It's just a bunch of words that don't really seem to have any real meaning. Just a bunch of virtue signaling so we all know how "woke" Brooks is.
    Virtue signaling is what people like Backlash do best though.

Why bother actually doing something, when it's clear you believe someone should do something somewhere because... feelings.

All it is is basically a weak attempt at buying votes.

Nothing more.
    PC RETARD HALL OF FAME

Quote Originally Posted by Seran-the Current Retard Champion View Post
    Besides, Republicans also block abstinence and contraceptives anyway.
    Quote Originally Posted by Seran-the Current Retard Champion View Post
    Regulating firearms to keep them out of the hands of criminals, the unhinged, etc. meets the first test of the 2nd amendment, 'well-regulated'.

Quote Originally Posted by SHAFT View Post
    You show me a video of me typing that and Ill admit it. (This was the excuse he came up with when he was called out for a really stupid post)
    3 million more popular votes. I'd say the numbers speak for themselves. Gerrymandering won for Trump.

What if we just sent them back?

You're stupid.

Also TR;DR
    Discord: 3PiecesOfToast
    [Private]-GSIV:Nyatherra: "Until this moment i forgot that i changed your name to Biff Muffbanger on Lnet"
    I am a retard. I'm disabled. I'm poor. I'm black. I'm gay. I'm transgender. I'm a woman. I'm diagnosed with cancer. I'm a human being.
    Quote Originally Posted by time4fun View Post
    So here's the deal- I am just horrible