Page 92 of 111 FirstFirst ... 42829091929394102 ... LastLast

Thread: NFL players kneeling during National Anthem

Quote Originally Posted by Tgo01 View Post
    Talk about historical revisionism. In the 90's mutants were never an "allegory on the LGBTQ experience", it had nothing to do with the LGBTQ experience at all other than some mutants happened to be gay. People of today saw some similarities between mutants and "the LGBTQ experience" and decided that must have been the creators' intent. It wasn't.

Furthermore there is nothing wrong with tackling social issues if it's done the right way. But to recreate old established character favorites and make them a minority or gay for no other reason than to make them a minority or gay apparently isn't the right way because a lot of people hated that and one Marvel higher up even admitted this was why their comic book sales were taking a hit before he was forced to retract that comment by the angry mob who probably never even bought a comic book in their life.

For example look at the way Buffy The Vampire Slayer handled "the gay experience." Willow came out to her friends that she was gay, they all kind of had an uncomfortable moment or two, then everyone went on with their lives and acted like normal when she had a girlfriend because it was normal. But now everything has to be in your face, have drag queens show up and read a book about being a drag queen to a bunch of 6 year olds and when they say they want to be a super hero when they grow up correct them and say "You could be a drag queen super hero!" Have a black super hero living in one of the most diverse cities in the entire world and of course he has to deal with the only known group of Neo Nazis in a 100 square mile radius because that's totally a thing.
    As usual, Tgo, you are incredibly wrong.

It was an allegory for all minority experiences at various points in time, but the LGBTQ influence is well-documented. Brian Singer has been incredibly clear about using the movies as allegories on the gay experience and used it to recruit Ian McKellen for the role of Magneto, for example:

The actor who's starred as Magneto in the X-Men films also said he signed on for the films after director Bryan Singer explained to him that the mutant superheroes serve as an allegory for the gay community.
    Meanwhile, the Legacy Virus was an explicit allegory for the HIV/AIDS epidemic:

Comic books also saw their share of HIV-inspired storylines. In 1993, Marvel’s X-Men faced a threat like nothing they’d seen before: the Legacy Virus, a communicable infection that harmed only mutants. The primary symptoms were nearly identical to advanced AIDS: skin lesions, fever, physical wasting – but before the virus claimed its victim, it would cause their mutant powers to flare wildly out of control. In Uncanny X-Men #390, Colossus deliberately infected himself with the cure, an act that saved every mutant on Earth but cost him his life.
    Also LOL at your idea of acceptance: "I don't mind gay people as long as they don't talk about it". How progressive.

Mutant civil rights was the main focus of Xavier. They had a gay couple in 2012 that got married and it was very mediocre and predictably cliche. I don't even think anyone really objected but it's been a while since I read it and again, very mediocre.

Quote Originally Posted by time4fun View Post
    As usual, Tgo, you are incredibly wrong.
    "As usual."

Do you have a source yet for SCOTUS ruling that the president's tweets are official statements?

It was an allegory for all minority experiences at various points in time, but the LGBTQ influence is well-documented. Brian Singer has been incredibly clear about using the movies as allegories on the gay experience and used it to recruit Ian McKellen for the role of Magneto, for example:
    Did you, like, not even read your own source?

This year at Flame Con, New York’s queer-comics convention, legendary X-Men scribe Chris Claremont attempted to address the queer embrace of his comic — or, as Andrew Wheeler, editor-in-chief of Comics Alliance has put it, while “LGBT people couldn’t be part of the X-Men’s text, the experiences of LGBT people came to dominate the X-Men’s subtext.” “As stupid as it sounds, it was never there in my head so it was weird to see other people reacting that way,” Claremont said on the panel Pride and the X-Men. “But, well, my thought was, God bless ambiguity.” The other panelists including openly gay comic-book artists Phil Jimenez and Tania Ford, and Geeks OUT moderator, Josh Siegel would try to tease out the subtext from the text, but Claremont demurred: There was never an active attempt to make characters stand-ins for the plight of the LGBT community.
    Meanwhile, the Legacy Virus was an explicit allegory for the HIV/AIDS epidemic:
    Oh so they did a plot that might have to do with the HIV/AIDs virus and to you this is an "allegory on the LGBTQ experience"? Holy fucking shit.

Also LOL at your idea of acceptance: "I don't mind gay people as long as they don't talk about it". How progressive.
    How in the world did you get "I don't mind gay people as long as they don't talk about it" from my post? I see your history revisionism goes back several seconds in addition to several decades.

Back on topic, nerds!

Last edited by Astray; 09-05-2018 at 03:46 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by cwolff View Post
    Oh shit. Now they'll be burning Levi's with their nikes. If this keeps up the alt-right/right/trumplican will have nothing left to wear.
    Because Nike is the only sneaker company in the world?

Because Levi's are the only jean company in the world?

GTFO of here with your special stupidity.
    PC RETARD HALL OF FAME

Quote Originally Posted by Seran-the Current Retard Champion View Post
    Besides, Republicans also block abstinence and contraceptives anyway.
    Quote Originally Posted by Seran-the Current Retard Champion View Post
    Regulating firearms to keep them out of the hands of criminals, the unhinged, etc. meets the first test of the 2nd amendment, 'well-regulated'.

Quote Originally Posted by SHAFT View Post
    You show me a video of me typing that and Ill admit it. (This was the excuse he came up with when he was called out for a really stupid post)
    Quote Originally Posted by Back View Post
    3 million more popular votes. I'd say the numbers speak for themselves. Gerrymandering won for Trump.

Blog Entries

Ceterum censeo Carthaginem esse delendam

Blog Entries

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Astray View Post
    Back on topic, nerds!

Blog Entries