Thread: Stock Market

Thumbs up Stock Market

Something happened that has never happened before..
    Unheard of in human history..
    For the first time in the known universe..
    The Dow Jones Average closed above 40,000.
    Is it justified?

Let's take a look. As you can see in the chart, starting in 2021, the US economic powerhouse far outpaced other countries, pushing down their percentage shares of global GDP. It's justified, alright.

There are decades where nothing happens; and there are weeks where decades happen.

2. Default

The Dow Jones Industrial Average is a price-weighted bucket of 30 stocks. Therefore, it's mean value (this 40k threshold) is simply an amalgam of the current prices of the 30 stock constituents and their relative percentage weightings within the group. It has no relevance whatsoever in any conversation of GDP.
    Last edited by Furryrat; 05-18-2024 at 10:39 PM.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by ClydeR View Post
    Something happened that has never happened before..
    Unheard of in human history..
    For the first time in the known universe..
    The Dow Jones Average closed above 40,000.
    Is it justified?

Let's take a look. As you can see in the chart, starting in 2021, the US economic powerhouse far outpaced other countries, pushing down their percentage shares of global GDP. It's justified, alright.

The population decline is bad.

The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane. ~ Marcus Aurelius
    “It's a beautiful thing, the destruction of words.”
    ― George Orwell, 1984

“The urge to shout filthy words at the top of his voice was as strong as ever.”
    ― George Orwell, 1984

Quote Originally Posted by Furryrat View Post
    The Dow Jones Industrial Average is a price-weighted bucket of 30 stocks. Therefore, it's mean value (this 40k threshold) is simply an amalgam of the current prices of the 30 stock constituents and their relative percentage weightings within the group. It has no relevance whatsoever in any conversation of GDP.
    There are about 12 terms in this post that ClydeR doesn't understand.

Please use smaller words and more common words in posts to him in the future.

Thank you.
    PC RETARD HALL OF FAME

Quote Originally Posted by Seran-the Current Retard Champion View Post
    Besides, Republicans also block abstinence and contraceptives anyway.
    Regulating firearms to keep them out of the hands of criminals, the unhinged, etc. meets the first test of the 2nd amendment, 'well-regulated'.

Quote Originally Posted by SHAFT View Post
    You show me a video of me typing that and Ill admit it. (This was the excuse he came up with when he was called out for a really stupid post)
    Quote Originally Posted by Back View Post
    3 million more popular votes. I'd say the numbers speak for themselves. Gerrymandering won for Trump.

Quote Originally Posted by Furryrat View Post
    I disagree for two reasons. First, the backward-looking GDP numbers help to explain the Dow Jones average. Surely, the stock market performs better when the economy is strong. Second, the forward-looking Dow Jones average helps to stimulate GDP. The wealthier you are, the more you spend, and the more you spend the stronger the economy becomes.

I disagree for two reasons. First, the backward-looking GDP numbers help to explain the Dow Jones average. Surely, the stock market performs better when the economy is strong. Second, the forward-looking Dow Jones average helps to stimulate GDP. The wealthier you are, the more you spend, and the more you spend the stronger the economy becomes.
    The DJIA was $19,732.40 when Trump was inaugurated. It was $30,930.52 when Biden was inaugurated and Trump left office.... and that was after the selloff due to Covid-19, which basically lost all the value it gained in the previous 3 years.

So I assume it is your contention that the economy absolutely exploded under Trump after Covid-19... and I agree.
    PC RETARD HALL OF FAME

Besides, Republicans also block abstinence and contraceptives anyway.
    Regulating firearms to keep them out of the hands of criminals, the unhinged, etc. meets the first test of the 2nd amendment, 'well-regulated'.

Quote Originally Posted by SHAFT View Post
    You show me a video of me typing that and Ill admit it. (This was the excuse he came up with when he was called out for a really stupid post)
    Quote Originally Posted by Back View Post
    3 million more popular votes. I'd say the numbers speak for themselves. Gerrymandering won for Trump.

7. Default

I disagree for two reasons. First, the backward-looking GDP numbers help to explain the Dow Jones average. Surely, the stock market performs better when the economy is strong. Second, the forward-looking Dow Jones average helps to stimulate GDP.
    This is grossly over-simplified logic, and flawed at that. Over half of the 30 members of the DJIA have either missed on top or bottom line estimates and/or announced significant layoffs in the past 12 months.

The wealthier you are, the more you spend, and the more you spend the stronger the economy becomes.
    Sure, why not, though a bit juvenile a view. Say a company lays off 5000 workers, who cannot now be 'wealthier' and spend more, yet the stock price of said company then goes up due to the costs saved, does that positively or negatively affect what you are calling GDP?