PDA

View Full Version : Republican Governors rejecting medicaid expansion

tyrant-201
10-03-2013, 04:50 PM
I typically subscribe to a more liberal line of thinking, yes. But that aside - I've been confused about the whole Obamacare thing all along, so I have trouble endorsing it. Seems far too convoluted.

However, this just doesn't make sense to me. The states that could really use medicaid expansion are rejecting it along political grounds. Article says Mississippi has the highest amount of uninsured people per capita, yet won't accept the money to expand?

http://www.bustle.com/articles/6227-gop-governors-reject-obamacares-medicaid-expansion-millions-to-stay-uninsured-as-result

Tgo01
10-03-2013, 05:30 PM
Article says Mississippi has the highest amount of uninsured people per capita, yet won't accept the money to expand?

Well the states have to start paying a portion of the expansion eventually. But yeah I think it's only 10%, doesn't seem to make a whole lot of sense since the money is already there.

Kembal
10-04-2013, 01:23 PM
It doesn't make sense, except maybe for Mississippi. (there's uncertainty whether they can handle even 10% by 2019, which I think speaks more to how bad of a shape they're in more than anything else)

But most other states, no, it doesn't make pragmatic sense at all. It'll lower the cost of ER care for the uninsured, which eventually gets picked up by the state somehow anyway.

Ardwen
10-04-2013, 01:53 PM
Do you think politicians of either party actually give a damn about uninsured people, in their state or any where else for that matter

Parkbandit
10-04-2013, 04:51 PM
Do you think politicians of either party actually give a damn about uninsured people, in their state or any where else for that matter

Depends on if they can buy their votes or gain a political advantage. Then yes they "do".