PDA

View Full Version : Rosa Parks Statue on Capital Hill

Merala
02-28-2013, 01:57 AM
I thought this was a pretty amazing thing. I'm pretty happy to know something like this is now sitting in the capital of my country. I hope this serves as a reminder of how far we've come, how far we've worked to get there, and encourages us to keep going forward. When I think of all the people of different races that have touched my life, it makes me a little sad to think that some people will miss out on opportunities like that just because of their prejudices.

So, thanks to Rosa Parks for sending us a wake up call, and thank you to Robert Firmin and Eugene Daub for our cool new statue!

Full story:

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/02/28/us/politics/statue-of-rosa-parks-is-unveiled-at-the-capitol.html?_r=0

ClydeR
02-28-2013, 01:31 PM
Is this really how we should be spending money when we're so broke that we're having to furlough food safety inspectors, TSA employees and military personnel? Really?

Merala
02-28-2013, 01:51 PM
While I can agree with that, if we're going to spend frivolous money anyway, why not on something positive?

Jarvan
02-28-2013, 02:03 PM
While I can agree with that, if we're going to spend frivolous money anyway, why not on something positive?

Wouldn't something positive be, food safety inspectors, TSA employees, and Military personnel?

Tho frankly I like the statue, it just goes to show that really, we should not give the government more money.

Merala
02-28-2013, 02:04 PM
Wouldn't something positive be, food safety inspectors, TSA employees, and Military personnel?

Tho frankly I like the statue, it just goes to show that really, we should not give the government more money.

But that's not frivolous spending!

Bobmuhthol
02-28-2013, 02:05 PM
Capitol.

Merala
02-28-2013, 02:07 PM
Capitol.

Oops. I can't believe I did that. Leaving it for posterity.

Jarvan
02-28-2013, 02:07 PM
But that's not frivolous spending!

Do you see my point?

NinjasLeadTheWay
02-28-2013, 02:08 PM

And border agents, FBI agents, teachers, air traffic controllers, military personnel, etc....

How much did the statue cost? 85 Billion?

Jarvan
02-28-2013, 02:09 PM
And border agents, FBI agents, teachers, air traffic controllers, military personnel, etc....

How much did the statue cost? 85 Billion?

http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-202_162-57571757/syria-rebels-to-get-direct-non-lethal-support-from-u.s-for-1st-time-secretary-kerry-announces/

We can't afford TSA Agents, but lets give the Syria rebels 60 million.

NOW Do people see what's wrong with our country?

Merala
02-28-2013, 02:14 PM
Capitol.

Wow. I did it twice. Too bad thread titles can't be changed. Oh well, more posterity I guess?

Back to the topic at hand. Our government is spending so much frivolous money, it's nice to see them do it for something that I think is positive.

Bobmuhthol
02-28-2013, 03:05 PM
To be fair, you only did it once. The Capitol is the capital.

ClydeR
02-28-2013, 03:09 PM
Oops. I can't believe I did that. Leaving it for posterity.

Capitol Hill is in the capital at the site of the Capitol. Amirite?

Back
02-28-2013, 04:13 PM
I thought this was a pretty amazing thing. I'm pretty happy to know something like this is now sitting in the capital of my country. I hope this serves as a reminder of how far we've come, how far we've worked to get there, and encourages us to keep going forward. When I think of all the people of different races that have touched my life, it makes me a little sad to think that some people will miss out on opportunities like that just because of their prejudices.

So, thanks to Rosa Parks for sending us a wake up call, and thank you to Robert Firmin and Eugene Daub for our cool new statue!

Full story:

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/02/28/us/politics/statue-of-rosa-parks-is-unveiled-at-the-capitol.html?_r=0

I need to spread more rep? Guess I already got you recently for somethings else!

Building this reminds us not so much of the hatred that came before but the progress we have made since then not just for African Americans but for all people.