PDA

View Full Version : Texas Secession

Back
11-24-2012, 03:20 PM
One of many articles on the subject (http://www.nytimes.com/2012/11/24/us/politics/with-stickers-a-petition-and-even-a-middle-name-secession-fever-hits-texas.html?hp).

How does everyone feel about Texas seceding and becoming it's own "nation"?

If you do not live there and have never been there is your opinion valid on what Texas should or should not do? Should the decision rest soley on the shoulders of those with current valid Texas driver's licenses?

I have family from there and lived there for a time. Speaking as an American I think it is a step backwards but would not argue too hard against it. Seems like it is just the ultimatum in the federal vs. state argument.

Just interested in hear what everyone thinks.

Gelston
11-24-2012, 03:31 PM
Not going to happen and these news articles are created by sensationalist media. Just as in the past few times this issue has popped up, there is no legitimate chance of this happening.

Anyone that lives in Texas that supports secession is retarded. The Texas economy would instantly tank.

Kastrel
11-24-2012, 03:47 PM
Personally?

"Realistic" perspective: I think the entire concept will end in failure and frustration for everyone involved. I don't see it happening successfully, and the last time someone tried this, well, there is a little thing called the Civil War.

Political perspective: Even though the foundation of our country was all about states rights, I grew up in an era where myself and my peers were basically raised to think of states as glorified counties. Even though the country is literally a union of smaller states, that is never how its felt to me, and while I know there are others who feel differently, I've been entirely surrounded by that political perspective from peers and professors, no matter where they come from in the country. As such, I don't really have any respect for "states rights". I feel like things like being able to seceed are just artifacts from an older era, even if it is part of the basis of the country. Just because something was highly influential and important during the early years doesn't mean it needs to stay that way.

Emotional perspective: I can't help but think this is a very immature reaction to the election. It makes me think of a little kid who wanted to be team captain, and when he couldn't have his way he ran away yelling "I didn't even WANT to be part of your stupid team". The fact that other states put in similar petitions as soon as Texas did was all the more evidence that this is a melodramatic overreaction phase to presidential results. I'm sure this isn't the biggest "upset" election of all time, so why now? Is there actually a GOOD reason for them to be doing this? Screw whether its a right or not, is it justified?

Long term perspective: Say this passes. Say the other half-dozen states also seceed, and for some unbelievable reason, the federal government just lets it go. What happens when a Republican wins next election (lets say Romney)? Are a half dozen liberal states going to seceed from the Union because they just can't stand Romney that much? How quickly will we start hemorraghing states from this? What happens if two adjacent and seceeded states have a dispute? Will there be mini-wars within the United States? GWB said it, "Don't mess with Texas". Left to its own devices, with a huge border dispute with, I don't know, New Mexico, what happens?

BriarFox
11-24-2012, 03:51 PM
It's an incredibly stupid idea, both governmentally and economically.

Stanley Burrell
11-24-2012, 04:07 PM
Texas Secession recycles itself almost as much as the Shroud of Turin being discovered. Somehow ...... it's still sensational. Yeah, in the time it took me to punch out that double ellipses I'm fairly certain there are those who can be that easily impressed. Again. And again. And again.

4a6c1
11-24-2012, 04:27 PM
Back, I already did this thread.

"Partisan temper tantrums"

;)

Back
11-24-2012, 04:31 PM
Yeah, well, that was a week and three cases of beer ago.

4a6c1
11-24-2012, 04:39 PM
Good point. It was a week and a whole bottle of vodka ago.

RichardCranium
11-24-2012, 04:39 PM
If Louisiana seceeds I'm moving to Massachusetts.

Gelston
11-24-2012, 04:41 PM
If Louisiana secedes I am seceding my property back to the US. It scares me most to think about how much this would fuck up NCAA Football.

Kastrel
11-24-2012, 04:49 PM
If Louisiana secedes I am seceding my property back to the US. It scares me most to think about how much this would fuck up NCAA Football.

In the article, there was a reverse petition that should Texas seceed, that Austin could seceed from Texas back to the union.

Some Rogue
11-24-2012, 05:19 PM
If Louisiana seceeds I'm moving to Massachusetts.

So you're moving from South Hell to North Hell?

Latrinsorm
11-24-2012, 05:43 PM
Good point. It was a week and a whole bottle of vodka ago.Pacing yourself?

RichardCranium
11-24-2012, 06:37 PM
So you're moving from South Hell to North Hell?

I heard they know how to pick a good governer.

Gompers
11-24-2012, 09:14 PM
Fuck Texas. Except for that island...what's it called - oh yeah, where I live - Austin.