PDA

View Full Version : Congressional Reform Act of 2012

Manamethis
11-22-2012, 09:57 PM
This was shared with me on facebook and I thought some of you might like to read it and comment.

Warren Buffett, in a recent interview with CNBC, offers one of the best quotes about the debt ceiling:

"I could end the deficit in 5 minutes," he told CNBC. "You just pass a law that says that anytime there is a deficit of more than 3% of GDP, all sitting members of Congress are ineligible for re-election.

The 26th amendment (granting the right to vote for 18 year-olds) took only 3 months & 8 days to be ratified! Why? Simple!
The people demanded it. That was in 1971 - before computers, e-mail, cell phones, etc.

Of the 27 amendments to the Constitution, seven (7) took one (1) year or less to become the law of the land - all because of public pressure.

Warren Buffet is asking each addressee to forward this email to a minimum of twenty people on their address list; in turn ask each of those to do likewise.

In three days, most people in The United States of America will have the message. This is one idea that really should be passed around.

Congressional Reform Act of 2012

1. No Tenure / No Pension.

A Congressman/woman collects a salary while in office and receives no pay when they're out of office.

2. Congress (past, present & future) participates in Social Security.

All funds in the Congressional retirement fund move to the Social Security system immediately. All future funds flow into the Social Security system, and Congress participates with the American people. It may not be used for any other purpose.

3. Congress can purchase their own retirement plan, just as all Americans do.

4. Congress will no longer vote themselves a pay raise. Congressional pay will rise by the lower of CPI or 3%.

5. Congress loses their current health care system and participates in the same health care system as the American people.

6. Congress must equally abide by all laws they impose on the American people.

7. All contracts with past and present Congressmen/women are void effective 12/1/12. The American people did not make this contract with Congressmen/women.

Tgo01
11-22-2012, 10:04 PM
"I could end the deficit in 5 minutes," he told CNBC. "You just pass a law that says that anytime there is a deficit of more than 3% of GDP, all sitting members of Congress are ineligible for re-election.

Sounds like a pretty shitty idea, Congress would just pass any budget put before them in order to keep their jobs.

2. Congress (past, present & future) participates in Social Security.

How would that one work? Do we create a time machine to make sure all past Congressmen participate in Social Security?

Back
11-22-2012, 10:10 PM
Sounds good to me. If it is good enough for the American people it is good enough for those we elect into office.

4a6c1
11-23-2012, 02:21 AM
I've had personal conversations with a few of these dudes. I know for a fact taking their pensions away would change everything immediately. The way many career politicians get rich is by stacking state, local and federal Pensions over a lifetime.

Kastrel
11-23-2012, 02:56 AM
Sounds like a pretty good idea to me.

Jarvan
11-23-2012, 05:56 AM
Sounds like a pretty shitty idea, Congress would just pass any budget put before them in order to keep their jobs.

How would that one work? Do we create a time machine to make sure all past Congressmen participate in Social Security?

I think a better option would be to put in place term limits. 3 Terms for Congress, 2 Terms for Senate. Make the Presidency 1 Term of 8 years. Each state should also pass laws making it 2 Terms maximum for any elected official. Get rid of the people that spend their entire life in the system, these are the people that always think they know better.

Parkbandit
11-23-2012, 08:09 AM
I think a better option would be to put in place term limits. 3 Terms for Congress, 2 Terms for Senate. Make the Presidency 1 Term of 8 years. Each state should also pass laws making it 2 Terms maximum for any elected official. Get rid of the people that spend their entire life in the system, these are the people that always think they know better.

I'm 100% against a 1 term of 8 years for President.

Latrinsorm
11-23-2012, 08:17 AM
So our way of making Congress less corrupt is to make them dramatically more susceptible to bribery?
I think a better option would be to put in place term limits. 3 Terms for Congress, 2 Terms for Senate. Make the Presidency 1 Term of 8 years. Each state should also pass laws making it 2 Terms maximum for any elected official. Get rid of the people that spend their entire life in the system, these are the people that always think they know better.We already have a way to get rid of people who are not performing up to our standards, two ways for state officials subject to recall. Why do we need automatic limits when we are fully capable of manually limiting any politician's service?

Or are you saying that you think you know better than the American people? :)

Kembal
11-23-2012, 08:19 AM
Agree with PB. The presidency actually has a fairly suitable system for terms now.

I'm against Congressional term limits though. It takes generally 4 years in DC for someone to gain enough expertise on the issues that they were not familiar with already. Term limits would actually heighten the influence of lobbyists, because then they would be the experts on policy that the Congresspeople would turn to.

If you want to make Congress more responsive to the people, better to end the gerrymandering of Congressional districts via state legislatures and require states to have nonpartisan redistricting commissions instead, like California and Arizona. Much more competitive elections that way.

Also, for the OP: #5 already got passed into law. That's part of Obamacare and set to go in effect in 2014.

Valthissa
11-23-2012, 09:25 AM
My crazy plan combines making politicians actually do something that will reduce global warming (since they keep telling me it's a big issue) and fix the broken airport check in situation.

My plan is to use our technology and create a virtual Capitol Hill. We will require members of congress to reside in their districts (I'll let Senators live anywhere in their state). Every working day - and I think we can all agree that based on what we pay these paragons of public service they should work no less than 2080 hours in year minus holiday and vacation - they log into our virtual congress, sit on their committees, and conduct the business of politics. I am hopeful that this will make lobbying harder as the targets of their efforts will no longer be concentrated in one location. This will save a lot of jet fuel as many members of congress currently fly home every week. We can save money by removing the housing allowance and reducing the travel allowance.

On to the second part of my proposal, when they do need to come to Washington, we will require all members of congress to fly coach and walk through the same security lines as the general public. I am hopeful that with more personal contact with TSA and the security theater that has become the standard at airports, maybe congress can improve air travel.

I'm sure their are many holes in my plan, but given the performance of congress over my lifetime, it can't be worse than what they are actually doing.

C

Tgo01
11-23-2012, 10:18 AM
Or are you saying that you think you know better than the American people? :)

Six words; Jesse Jackson Jr and Charlie Rangel.

Latrinsorm
11-23-2012, 03:12 PM
Hey, as a liberal I'm all for patronizing elitism. I just thought it was a noteworthy conjunction of thoughts, so I noted it.

Back
11-23-2012, 03:23 PM
This thing looks like it is gaining steam. Seeing it on FB from both sides of the political spectrum.

Tgo01
11-23-2012, 03:46 PM
This thing looks like it is gaining steam. Seeing it on FB from both sides of the political spectrum.

It's on Facebook now? Oh shit, our government will be transformed tomorrow.

4a6c1
11-23-2012, 04:55 PM
It's on Facebook now? Oh shit, our government will be transformed tomorrow.

Facebook, Twitter and Youtube helped transform a dozen African and Middle Eastern governments in the last few years. Political change through social media is nothing to roll your eyes at.

Tgo01
11-23-2012, 05:01 PM
Facebook, Twitter and Youtube helped transform a dozen African and Middle Eastern governments in the last few years. Political change through social media is nothing to roll your eyes at.

Many of those people had nothing to lose from a regime change. The situation was so bad it was just a matter of time before something happened, with or without "social media."

Believe me, Americans are going to wake up every morning for the foreseeable future, go to work, pay their taxes then log on the internet and whine about how nothing ever changes.

Back
11-23-2012, 05:04 PM
Many of those people had nothing to lose from a regime change. The situation was so bad it was just a matter of time before something happened, with or without "social media."

Believe me, Americans are going to wake up every morning for the foreseeable future, go to work, pay their taxes then log on the internet and whine about how nothing ever changes.

Why do you have such a poor opinion of Americans?

Tgo01
11-23-2012, 05:07 PM
Why do you have such a poor opinion of Americans?

Just stating the obvious, no need to get your knickers in a twist.

Latrinsorm
11-23-2012, 05:20 PM
A meaningless and silly Facebook petition is not evidence of an impending American Spring. For one thing, it's autumn.

The reason we're not comparable to the people who overthrew despotic, tyrannical, violent regimes is... we don't live under a despotic, tyrannical, violent regime. If we wanted to get rid of X politician, we could just vote for someone else. It's rare (but admittedly not totally unheard of) for a federal office holder to run unopposed. It drives me crazy how people won't vote but will whine pointlessly, give me a break.