PDA

View Full Version : Susan Rice

ClydeR
11-15-2012, 10:12 AM
President Barack Obama’s spirited defense of U.S. Ambassador to the United Nations Susan Rice has moved her a step closer to being named to succeed Secretary of State Hillary Clinton.

At a press conference yesterday, Obama rebuked two Republican senators for threatening to block Rice’s possible nomination to be the top U.S. diplomat because of her televised comments about the Sept. 11 attack on a U.S. diplomatic outpost in Benghazi, Libya.

More... (http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2012-11-15/obama-s-defense-of-rice-suggests-she-may-succeed-clinton.html)

If Obama nominates Susan Rice for Secretary of State to replace Hillary Clinton, will Rice be confirmed by the Senate? I'm setting up a poll with that question. In addition to answering the poll question of whether or not she will be confirmed, you could also post you opinion about whether or not she should be confirmed.

ClydeR
11-26-2012, 12:03 PM
Obama has narrowed the choice for Secretary of State to two candidates, one of whom is Susan Rice and the other of whom is not.

By the way, the State job is down to Rice and John Kerry; there really isn’t a third contender being vetted, we’ve learned. And look for an announcement about State to happen in the next week or so.

More... (http://firstread.nbcnews.com/_news/2012/11/26/15454203-first-thoughts-good-news-bad-news-in-averting-the-fiscal-cliff)

Gelston
11-26-2012, 12:30 PM
Are you POSITIVE John Kerry is NOT Susan Rice?

Parkbandit
11-27-2012, 08:17 AM
Susan Rice will easily be confirmed. When it's McCain and Graham that show a spine for a brief moment and have since morphed back into their original gelatin form, you know there will be no problems getting her nomination through the Senate.

ClydeR
11-27-2012, 12:48 PM
After meeting with U.N. Ambassador Susan Rice on Tuesday, three GOP lawmakers said their concerns have only grown about misleading statements Rice made about the attack on the U.S. Consulate in Libya that left Ambassador Christopher Stevens and three other Americans dead.

Rice's meeting with Sens. John McCain, Lindsay Graham and Kelly Ayotte on Capitol Hill came as the White House has signaled it may nominate Rice to replace Hillary Rodham Clinton as secretary of State.

More... (http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/world/2012/11/27/ambassador-susan-rice-biography-benghazi/1728985/)

The article doesn't say what happened in the meeting with Susan Rice to make the lawmakers even more concerned than they were before. But it all relates to things that Susan Rice said about the Middle East that turned out to be wrong.

Jarvan
11-28-2012, 11:58 AM
She will be confirmed, even if she shouldn't be. Which I honestly don't think is the case.

People are complaining she lied to the American people, frankly, she did her job. She said exactly what she was told to say. If she would have went of script, she wouldn't be considered for the job.

Androidpk
11-29-2012, 09:50 PM
People are complaining she lied to the American people, frankly, she did her job. She said exactly what she was told to say. If she would have went off* script, she wouldn't be considered for the job.

That is an interesting point. I'm not sure how I feel about her. I think some Republicans are going after her a bit too harshly over what she said but I won't fault her for that. I don't agree with what she said today though about the UN and the Palestinian vote.

U.S. Ambassador to the U.N. Susan Rice said American leaders could not support a measure that circumvents direct talks and cautioned that Thursday's decision did "not establish Palestine as a state."

Archigeek
11-29-2012, 09:55 PM
I agree. I think most of the rest of the world has reached the conclusion that the methods for pursuing peace between Israel and Palestine haven't worked? The idea that this change will keep meaningful negotiation from happening would imply that there has been some in the last 25 years.

4a6c1
11-29-2012, 11:41 PM
Daily Show had an interesting bit last night about Condi Rice and the imfamous "aluminum tubes" soundbite as well as a Lyndsey Graham soundbite defending Rice and calling her critics "UnAmerican."

My God, the last decade was insane.

Point: In the grand sceme of things (to include WMD's) the current Republican moral grandstanding is pretty comical.

Androidpk
11-29-2012, 11:51 PM
Daily Show had an interesting bit last night about Condi Rice and the imfamous "aluminum tubes" soundbite as well as a Lyndsey Graham soundbite defending Rice and calling her critics "UnAmerican."

My God, the last decade was insane.

Point: In the grand sceme of things (to include WMD's) the current Republican moral grandstanding is pretty comical.

I really enjoyed how McCain was raising crap over Rice and Benghazi and then he doesn't even go to the Senate hearing meeting.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ry8oSBojuOc

Kembal
11-30-2012, 03:12 AM
I voted yes on the poll, mainly because I think if she is nominated, Senate Republicans will finally give in. However, I think the reason the Republicans are trying so hard to make it sound like they won't vote for her is because they want Kerry nominated. It'll open up a MA Senate seat for Scott Brown to run again, and he'd probably win.

Parkbandit
11-30-2012, 07:36 AM
I voted yes on the poll, mainly because I think if she is nominated, Senate Republicans will finally give in. However, I think the reason the Republicans are trying so hard to make it sound like they won't vote for her is because they want Kerry nominated. It'll open up a MA Senate seat for Scott Brown to run again, and he'd probably win.

I think Kerry will be made something in this administration. He really wants SoS, but it's looking more like Sec. of Def.

What is their motivation to get Scott Brown into the Senate again? One more seat won't get them any advantage.

WRoss
11-30-2012, 10:23 AM
After the UN vote on Palestine and her comments, I'm not so sure. What a mockery of the UN.

Parkbandit
12-13-2012, 05:14 PM
Susan Rice just bowed out of the nomination.

Looks like it's John Kerry as SoS

Warriorbird
12-13-2012, 05:18 PM
Susan Rice just bowed out of the nomination.

Looks like it's John Kerry as SoS

Kerry's a terrible choice.

Parkbandit
12-13-2012, 05:25 PM
Kerry's a terrible choice.

That doesn't matter.

Archigeek
12-13-2012, 05:32 PM
I kind of figured something would happen. Obama's reaction was something of a "woman, though doth protest too much" give away. I'm surprised they didn't allow more political capital to be spent first though. I think there is way too much politics in the confirmation process personally. Who's in a president's administration should really be the president's choice and no one elses really.

Gelston
12-13-2012, 06:28 PM
Eh, I think their positions and duties are a bit too important and visible to not have some sort of nomination process.

Kembal
12-14-2012, 08:48 AM
I think Kerry will be made something in this administration. He really wants SoS, but it's looking more like Sec. of Def.

What is their motivation to get Scott Brown into the Senate again? One more seat won't get them any advantage.

Missed this question earlier, but it'll provide them a chance to show momentum somewhere. They honestly need some good news right now.

Parkbandit
12-14-2012, 09:14 AM
Missed this question earlier, but it'll provide them a chance to show momentum somewhere. They honestly need some good news right now.

Maybe. It's probably more about rewarding a peer at the same time ending his political career in 4 years.

Tgo01
12-14-2012, 11:14 AM
Considering recent events I voted no.

Parkbandit
12-14-2012, 11:27 AM
You sandbagging son of a bitch you!