PDA

View Full Version : Fat News Anchors

ClydeR
10-02-2012, 02:30 PM
Should teevee stations employ fat people for new anchors? Do fat anchors set a bad example?

This video is about to go viral..

http://video.news8000.com/watch.php?id=36335

Parkbandit
10-02-2012, 03:33 PM
Should teevee stations employ fat people for new anchors? Do fat anchors set a bad example?

This video is about to go viral..

http://video.news8000.com/watch.php?id=36335

Wait.. she changed the subject from her being fat to a lecture on bullying?

What is she doing about her obesity... waiting on Obamacare to fix it?

~Rocktar~
10-02-2012, 03:38 PM
Cause you know, we are all carbon copies of each other amirite? This woman has got some balls! Fat is the last socially acceptable discrimination and it is for the very same reasons political correctness has managed to quell discussion about race and racism, sex and sexism, sexual preference and so on so that a meaningful dialogue can be had about these subjects. It is acceptable because because those who think they are doing good for others by making decisions for others and enforcing views and postions on everyone, claim they are "doing it for the greater good". Bullshit.

Some Rogue
10-02-2012, 03:43 PM
Wait.. she changed the subject from her being fat to a lecture on bullying?

What is she doing about her obesity... waiting on Obamacare to fix it?

http://weknowmemes.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/04/facepalm-and-carry-on.jpg

Liagala
10-02-2012, 03:48 PM
discussion about race and racism, sex and sexism, sexual preference and so on

I'm normally all for arguments against discrimination based on weight... but you're missing the part where obesity has negative health consequences that affect the cost of everyone's health care. Being black or gay does not. Also, obesity can in many cases be overcome. Being black or gay can not. There's really no comparison there.

That said... society's habit of shitting on everyone who carries around a few extra pounds is retarded. People don't lose all worth simply by being bigger.

Parkbandit
10-02-2012, 03:57 PM
I'm normally all for arguments against discrimination based on weight... but you're missing the part where obesity has negative health consequences that affect the cost of everyone's health care. Being black or gay does not. Also, obesity can in many cases be overcome. Being black or gay can not. There's really no comparison there.

My problem with her response was more of "yea I'm fat, but now I'm a victim of a bully" and how she went on forever about how much of a victim of bullying she is.

That said... society's habit of shitting on everyone who carries around a few extra pounds is retarded. People don't lose all worth simply by being bigger.

I agree.

Liagala
10-02-2012, 04:00 PM
My problem with her response was more of "yea I'm fat, but now I'm a victim of a bully" and how she went on forever about how much of a victim of bullying she is.
I can't watch anything with audio at work, so I didn't see her response. I'm just going off Rocktar's rant. If "OMG you're a big meanie-head bully and I'm going to need years of therapy for my PTSD over this!1!!" was her only response, then I'll jump on the /facepalm bandwagon.

Drew
10-02-2012, 04:53 PM
I'm normally all for arguments against discrimination based on weight... but you're missing the part where obesity has negative health consequences that affect the cost of everyone's health care.

I'd just like to pop in here and mention how angry this argument makes me as a libertarian. I'm not saying you're right or wrong, just that I hear it more and more and I'm thinking that might be the road we're heading down to where we can force people to conform to behavior norms because if they don't "we'll have to pay for it".

Androidpk
10-02-2012, 05:00 PM
4 Also, obesity can in many cases be overcome. Being black or gay can not.4

Tell that to Michael Jackson and Sammy Sosa!

Latrinsorm
10-02-2012, 05:03 PM
Can you elaborate, Drew? It seems to me like we already force people to etc., does the motivation matter? For that matter, is it arguable that it's not fundamentally different to express the cost of X self-harming behavior in terms of $ as opposed to nebulous things like common welfare, duty, nationalism?

Androidpk
10-02-2012, 05:05 PM
Obesity is the number 1 reason why young people are unfit for military duty. That has many people saying obesity is a national security risk.

Reliel
10-02-2012, 05:07 PM
Fat people.

Fat people everywhere.

Drew
10-02-2012, 05:10 PM
Can you elaborate, Drew? It seems to me like we already force people to etc., does the motivation matter? For that matter, is it arguable that it's not fundamentally different to express the cost of X self-harming behavior in terms of $ as opposed to nebulous things like common welfare, duty, nationalism?

It shouldn't be an issue if not for our broken health care system. If we didn't have a perverse incentive for business to offer healthcare and let people take care of their own plans with the extra money they got from business not paying for health care they would have a personal incentive to improve their health.

Androidpk
10-02-2012, 05:14 PM
It shouldn't be an issue if not for our broken health care system. If we didn't have a perverse incentive for business to offer healthcare and let people take care of their own plans with the extra money they got from business not paying for health care they would have a personal incentive to improve their health.

Hey man, I'm all for Libertarian beliefs but I don't buy that. If people were to get more money in their check do you really think they would put it towards improving their health? I'm pretty sure that is not the reason why obesity is such a problem.

Merala
10-02-2012, 05:23 PM
Obesity in this country is obviously an issue. I wonder though if that woman would have gotten a similar email if she had been smoking. Smoking is a lifestyle choice too, but we encourage smokers to quit without bullying them. I'm all for encouraging her to overcome her weight issue, I've done it myself. That email was bullying, however. It was unnecessary, and mean-spirited.

Obesity often comes from deep emotional and pyschological issues when it doesn't come from poor understanding of nutrition or lack of motivation for good health. Maybe this woman is going through, or went through something traumatic. Why couldn't the sender encourage her to overcome her struggle whether it be emotional, or motivational, or educational and improve her health. That would have been of much more benefit to her, and the community by setting a good example of positive encouragement and a shred of kindness.

Latrinsorm
10-02-2012, 05:26 PM
It shouldn't be an issue if not for our broken health care system. If we didn't have a perverse incentive for business to offer healthcare and let people take care of their own plans with the extra money they got from business not paying for health care they would have a personal incentive to improve their health.Oh.

Do you really think so, though? Think of all the people who high five over that "Life should NOT be blah blah but rather to skid in sideways blah blah body thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and screaming 'WOO HOO, What a Ride!'" business, these people aren't going to act pre-emptively unless we force them to.

I just don't think people are economics-minded enough to expect the invisible hand to really address this problem.

Drew
10-02-2012, 05:34 PM
Oh.

Do you really think so, though? Think of all the people who high five over that "Life should NOT be blah blah but rather to skid in sideways blah blah body thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and screaming 'WOO HOO, What a Ride!'" business, these people aren't going to act pre-emptively unless we force them to.

I just don't think people are economics-minded enough to expect the invisible hand to really address this problem.

Hey man, I'm all for Libertarian beliefs but I don't buy that. If people were to get more money in their check do you really think they would put it towards improving their health? I'm pretty sure that is not the reason why obesity is such a problem.

I agree that there are a lot of people who wouldn't put the money toward health insurance, but a new ipad. In my ideal world people would be allowed to take full responsibility for their actions. IE when they did get sick they would have to rely on the charity of others to cover their bills. Then they would (or wouldn't) learn an important lesson. By divorcing people from the consequences of their actions we harm society as a whole. If you had to use your own money to pay for insurance and it cost you more because your BMI was over 30 or you smoke tobacco you're much more likely to make a change, but you would still be free not to if you wanted. If you or your friend go into debt because you decided to buy an ipad over health insurance than you would likely buy health insurance in the future. Or those around you would after seeing how dumb you were. These are all positives for society.

Latrinsorm
10-02-2012, 05:41 PM
But suppose the person who gets sick is a single father of 4. Is it possible to stick the father with the consequences of his actions without simultaneously sticking the kids with the same?

It seems like invasive government regulation is a more ethical alternative, even if it is also more expensive and less efficient, although I suppose those clauses are identical anyway.

TheEschaton
10-02-2012, 05:43 PM
I agree that there are a lot of people who wouldn't put the money toward health insurance, but a new ipad. In my ideal world people would be allowed to take full responsibility for their actions. IE when they did get sick they would have to rely on the charity of others to cover their bills. Then they would (or wouldn't) learn an important lesson. By divorcing people from the consequences of their actions we harm society as a whole. If you had to use your own money to pay for insurance and it cost you more because your BMI was over 30 or you smoke tobacco you're much more likely to make a change, but you would still be free not to if you wanted. If you or your friend go into debt because you decided to buy an ipad over health insurance than you would likely buy health insurance in the future. Or those around you would after seeing how dumb you were. These are all positives for society.

People call me naive, yet I tend to think I'm much more pessimistic and cynical than this tripe, at least.

Tenlaar
10-02-2012, 09:09 PM
Obesity is the number 1 reason why young people are unfit for military duty. That has many people saying obesity is a national security risk.

I went and talked to a recruiter a couple of years ago. Took a practice ASVAB on the spot without any kind of preparation and scored in the 95th percentile without putting a single mark on the scrap paper they gave me to use. The recruiter was very impressed while he told me that I couldn't join because I was too heavy. I think the military needs to recognize that holding people doing brain jobs at a computer in a building somewhere and people involved in street to street combat to the same physical standards is not the best way to go about it.

That's a good theory but there is the problem that the less money you have the more likely you are to be obese. The lowest income group will still have far more immediate things that they need to spend money on than healthy living or health insurance, especially with children.

It seems most people here are fairly well off as far as income goes so it might not be present in everybody's minds, but the cost of a well balance meal (say, skinless chicken breast with rice and vegetables) versus the price of a couple of things from the Taco Bell value meal or a couple of cans of Great Value (WalMart generic brand) ravioli is way off. When every dollar really matters you have a choice between a healthy $5-$7 per person meal or an unhealthy $1.50 per person meal, and if that doesn't change neither will obese poor people - the largest group of people "we have to pay for."

Androidpk
10-02-2012, 09:13 PM
I think the military needs to recognize that holding people doing brain jobs at a computer in a building somewhere and people involved in street to street combat to the same physical standards is not the best way to go about it.

They do, it's called contractors.

Tgo01
10-02-2012, 09:20 PM
But suppose the person who gets sick is a single father of 4. Is it possible to stick the father with the consequences of his actions without simultaneously sticking the kids with the same?

Why is that always the go to argument in cases like this? Almost as if society as a whole is the bad guy and the person in question is the good guy, no matter how badly the person fucked up.

"Don't make that guy work for a living, think of his children!"

"Don't make that woman lose weight in order to afford health insurance, think of her children!"

"Don't execute that murderer, think of his children!"

Latrinsorm
10-02-2012, 11:01 PM
Why is that always the go to argument in cases like this?My guess would be because there's no retort to it, and it is absolutely 100% correct. That's my guess. :)
Almost as if society as a whole is the bad guy and the person in question is the good guy, no matter how badly the person fucked up.

"Don't make that guy work for a living, think of his children!"

"Don't make that woman lose weight in order to afford health insurance, think of her children!"

"Don't execute that murderer, think of his children!"Those would be exaggerations, but if you like we can talk about them. Which, if any, do you feel address the underlying concern?

Tgo01
10-02-2012, 11:59 PM
My guess would be because there's no retort to it, and it is absolutely 100% correct. That's my guess. :)

So having children is sort of like a get out of jail free card?

Those would be exaggerations, but if you like we can talk about them. Which, if any, do you feel address the underlying concern?

I'm sorry I wasn't really paying much attention to this thread, what is the underlying concern here?

Drew
10-03-2012, 12:30 AM

No.

Latrinsorm
10-03-2012, 05:59 PM
So having children is sort of like a get out of jail free card?More like we as a society should keep parents alive even if they're useless to us, because they are absolutely useful to their children. You could call it "get out of the morgue free", but that doesn't make a ton of sense.

Do you find it telling that you want to draw an analogy between an accidental calamity (ill health) and intentional, probably immoral wrongdoing (crime)? :)
I'm sorry I wasn't really paying much attention to this thread, what is the underlying concern here?That children are not punished for the sins of their father.

Tgo01
10-03-2012, 06:26 PM
More like we as a society should keep parents alive even if they're useless to us, because they are absolutely useful to their children.

This is what drives me crazy about this argument though. Don't get me wrong, I'm not some sort of monster that hates children (only in the month of November.) But why is person A more important than person B just because person A has children?

Do you find it telling that you want to draw an analogy between an accidental calamity (ill health) and intentional, probably immoral wrongdoing (crime)? :)

"Accidental" calamity? If you're 600 pounds and you get diabetes or some shit it's not really "accidental."

That children are not punished for the sins of their father.

I think you're misusing this quote right here. Punishing children for the sins of their father in this case would be requiring children to pay a higher health insurance rate just because their parents were fat.

Latrinsorm
10-03-2012, 06:36 PM
This is what drives me crazy about this argument though. Don't get me wrong, I'm not some sort of monster that hates children (only in the month of November.) But why is person A more important than person B just because person A has children?Not more important, but easier to justify to utilitarian points of view.
"Accidental" calamity? If you're 600 pounds and you get diabetes or some shit it's not really "accidental."Do you think anyone outside of Homer Simpson has specifically tried to attain 600 pounds? And if you'll remember his condition was hilarious resolved so we all came out winners. I could change it to "unintentional" if you like.
I think you're misusing this quote right here. Punishing children for the sins of their father in this case would be requiring children to pay a higher health insurance rate just because their parents were fat.Let the lens draw back, Terrence!
-The uninsured father grows ill.
-It so happens that in his case "the charity of others" is not sufficient to cover his bills.
-His children therefore don't get as much too eat, or get in as good a school, or have to work rather than go to college, or whatever cost cutting measure you like.

Compare to...
-Government saves the day!
-His children, free of hardship, grow up to be serial killers. All of them. Obama = serial killer creator.
-These serial killers create demand for more law enforcement personnel. Obama = jobs creator.

Tgo01
10-03-2012, 06:44 PM
Do you think anyone outside of Homer Simpson has specifically tried to attain 600 pounds?

I don't think anyone intentionally tries to be 600 pounds but I think people intentionally eat too much and exercise too little which leads to 600 pounds...which is sort of the point Drew was making.

Let the lens draw back, Terrence!
-It so happens that in his case "the charity of others" is not sufficient to cover his bills.
-His children therefore don't get as much too eat, or get in as good a school, or have to work rather than go to college, or whatever cost cutting measure you like.

I think you're assuming an awful lot here. You're assuming the father even works, assuming he makes enough to feed his children more or pay their way through college, assuming whatever illness befell him he would be able to recover from even with proper insurance to the point where he could support his children any longer, that without their father they won't get enough to eat or go to school. Again I don't want it to seem like I'm taking the position of "just let him die." I'm just arguing that his life isn't more important than his neighbor who is childless.

Compare to...
-Government saves the day!
-His children, free of hardship, grow up to be serial killers. All of them. Obama = serial killer creator.
-These serial killers create demand for more law enforcement personnel. Obama = jobs creator.

Good point. I withdraw all of my objections to your argument and concede this debate. Good day sir!

Latrinsorm
10-03-2012, 06:50 PM
I think you're assuming an awful lot here. You're assuming the father even works, assuming he makes enough to feed his children more or pay their way through college, assuming whatever illness befell him he would be able to recover from even with proper insurance to the point where he could support his children any longer, that without their father they won't get enough to eat or go to school. Again I don't want it to seem like I'm taking the position of "just let him die." I'm just arguing that his life isn't more important than his neighbor who is childless.But I'm not assuming any particular one of those scenarios. It's a question of people at the margins, and there are margins everywhere. Not everyone who gets sick will have to choose between a good college and a crappy college for their kids, but some will. Not everyone will have to choose between a crappy college and no college at all, but some will. Not everyone will have to choose between getting treatment for [insert debilitating but not deadly illness] or putting food on the table, but some will. And so on.
Good point. I withdraw all of my objections to your argument and concede this debate. Good day sir!YOU GET BACK HERE until we have established every minuscule point of contention to within an inch of its life. :[

rolfard
10-03-2012, 07:42 PM
My fiancee feels that was a very well worded letter.

Showal
10-03-2012, 08:10 PM
My fiancee feels that was a very well worded letter.

I agree. While I don't think wording an email well gets you out of being purposefully mean to someone, I don't really buy that this newswoman was using this opportunity to address bullying. I feel she feels like she is harassed about her weight, which she may or may not be interested in changing, and wanted to shame people who do it to her, not in general. That's not to say I think the original letter wasn't wrong.

Showal
10-03-2012, 08:11 PM
I should add that I can't really prove it, it just feels that way because the connections are pretty reaching.

Alfster
10-03-2012, 08:57 PM
To be fair.

She's not that fat for Wisconsin.

Rallorick
10-04-2012, 12:53 AM
I heard about this story this morning... I actually worked at a television station for seven years. What surprised me the most is that she was so unprofessional about it by responding on air. At first, I remember being shocked by how much innane criticism people sent in - crap about terrible haircuts and ties. But that's sort of the business, all the talent knew that was part of their chosen career. I'm surprised the news director let her air her rant.

Tgo01
10-04-2012, 01:23 AM
I finally got around to watching this video, I couldn't help but chuckle when she said "I tried my very best to laugh off the very hurtful attack on my personal appearance" then later on said "That man's words...mean nothing to me."

Uh-huh...