PDA

View Full Version : Once 'The Obama Of Alabama,' Now A GOP Headliner

Tgo01
08-18-2012, 12:19 PM
I thought this story was funny. (http://www.npr.org/2012/08/17/159014520/once-the-obama-of-alabama-now-a-gop-headliner)

Four years ago in Denver, Artur Davis took the podium at the Democratic National Convention to speak up for Barack Obama.

"I am honored to second the nomination of the man whose victory tonight takes us closer to becoming what we know America can be," he said.

But now, as President Obama seeks re-election, Davis is on the list of scheduled speakers for the Republican National Convention.

The former Democratic congressman from Alabama, who tried and failed to become the state's first black governor, is now a Republican resident of Virginia.

And this time around, he will be calling for the president's defeat.

From Supporter To Detractor

Davis and Obama have known each other since their days at Harvard Law School. Davis was an early supporter of Obama's presidential campaign — the first member of Congress from outside Illinois to endorse him.

He was one of Obama's most prominent supporters in Alabama and helped the future president win the state's Democratic primary. But now, Davis says he is disenchanted with the man he helped to victory in 2008.

"Let's not forget, four years ago, Sen. Obama said, 'We're the ones we've been waiting for. We have the capacity to change and to break this gridlock' — and I think, unfortunately, some of the president's own policies have pushed us further apart."

Davis voted against the president's signature achievement, the health care overhaul, which he said was pushed across with "an aggressive, party-line ... take-it-or-leave-it strategy." In 2010, after four terms in Washington, Davis gave up his safe seat in Congress to run for the Democratic nomination for governor in Alabama. He lost by 24 percentage points.

NPR spoke with Davis in June, shortly after he announced he was leaving the Democratic Party to become a Republican.

"When I look at where I lean on the issues that people are debating today, when I look at where I lean in the questions that are most important to me — the economy and education — I see more alignment, more philosophical compatibility, with the Republican Party than I do the Democratic Party," Davis said.

He says there is no tolerance among Democrats for center-right views, such as his own.

A Political Turnaround

Democrats have questioned whether Davis' conversion to the GOP is less a question of dissatisfaction with party ideology and more a matter of sour grapes after losing his bid to become Alabama governor.

Davis' biography is an up-by-the-bootstraps story. He was raised in Montgomery, Ala., by his mother and grandmother after his parents divorced.

He says that while African-Americans have traditionally supported the Democratic Party, Republicans can change that.

"I think that if Republicans talk about growing this economy, talk about overhauling education, and, frankly, govern and operate in an inclusive manner when it comes to race, I think that's the best way to make the case to black voters in the next 10 years," he says.

His role as a headliner at the Republican convention later this month marks a remarkable 180-degree political transformation for Davis. And he carries an important message for the GOP, telling undecided voters that if this man, who was once dubbed "the Obama of Alabama," is now behind Mitt Romney, you can be, too.

Wheelerm
08-18-2012, 12:54 PM
I live in Alabama, and believe it or not although we are a red state for presidential, senators, and representatives in federal govt, our state government is almost always controlled by the democratic party, including the Governor's office. Thanks to Obama, our state has swung right. I'm not at all surprised to hear Davis switched parties (and left the state to do so). The number of Democrats who jumped ship in Alabama following the 2008 and 2010 elections was actually funny to behold.

On a related note, our last governor, Don Sieglman, a democrat, was just indicted for accepting a 500,000 contribution from Healthsouth CEO Richard Scrushy before appointing him head of the state medical commission. He was sentenced to federal prison. Now he is asking Obama for a full pardon.

Tgo01
08-18-2012, 01:31 PM
This story is humorous as well. (http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/08/17/obama-questions-white-house-press-corps_n_1797811.html) ClydeR where are you with these stories man? The PC relies on you for political stories like these.

White House Press Corps Wonders When Obama Will Actually Take Their Questions

The agitation appears to be increasing among the media as President Obama continues to avoid taking questions from White House reporters. On Friday, Obama's deputy press secretary parried a series of volleys from the White House press corps, all of whom wanted to know when the president would break his over-two-month streak of not formally answering their questions.

The issue has edged its way into the media spotlight in recent days, especially after Obama spoke about the campaign on "Entertainment Tonight" and talked about his music tastes with a New Mexico radio station. That led to acid replies from ABC's Jake Tapper and the "Morning Joe" team. NBC's Andrea Mitchell also had a sharp exchange with Ben LaBolt, the Obama campaign's press secretary, about Obama's AWOL approach. On Friday, she repeated the line of attack with DNC chair Debbie Wasserman-Schultz.

On Friday, multiple reporters asked deputy press secretary Josh Earnest when Obama would appear next before them.

"I don't have any scheduling announcements," Earnest said. He contended that the press has actually "heard quite a bit" from Obama, who he said has been "talking to a number of reporters." He also said that Obama had answered a question shouted at him at a bill signing from a White House reporter, and that the press had been able to air the president's comments to

NBC's Kristen Welker noted that Obama has been talking about things like his views on the song "Call Me Maybe."

"I have no doubt that the president will continue to take questions from the august body of journalists who are in the room," Earnest responded.

Reporters also vented their frustrations to Politico. NBC's Chuck Todd told the site that relations have reached "a new low."

Back
08-18-2012, 01:41 PM
http://s3-ec.buzzfed.com/static/enhanced/web05/2012/2/7/10/enhanced-buzz-5848-1328629394-23.jpg

Tgo01
08-18-2012, 01:42 PM
What is that at the end of the leash?

Reliel
08-18-2012, 01:54 PM
What is that at the end of the leash?

Our Freedoms being choked out by a black man.

BOOM. POLITICS. and racism.

Jarvan
08-18-2012, 03:23 PM
looks like a dog smoking a cig me.

Reliel
08-18-2012, 03:39 PM
looks like a dog smoking a cig me.

Typical (your political party here), missing the big picture.