PDA

View Full Version : Leak of Info About Mormon Donors to California Marriage Campaign

ClydeR
05-09-2012, 11:10 AM
As we have discussed in detail in earlier threads, the Mormons poured millions of dollars -- much of it from the Mormon strongholds of Utah and Nevada -- into California's 2008 referendum on same-sex marriage, and Mormons were the primary backers of the referendum. Some of the money from cautious donors was funneled through PAC-like organizations that promised to keep their donors anonymous. Earlier this year, it was revealed that Mitt Romney donated $10,000 to the effort through an anonymous organization.

At issue now is the source of the information about Romney and other anonymous donors from 2008.

The National Organization for Marriage (NOM), a pro-traditional marriage organization, alleges that confidential tax forms were either leaked or stolen from the IRS and illegally distributed by its opponents to the media.

On March 30, the Huffington Post published an article revealing that in 2008 Mitt Romney’s Free and Strong America PAC donated $10,000 to NOM, a 501(c)(4) non-profit group not legally required to disclose its donors. The Huffington Post’s Sam Stein reported the information came from NOM’s 990 IRS tax form, which had been originally posted on the website of the Human Rights Campaign (HRC), a pro-gay rights organization.

The form, a 990 Schedule B, reveals 50 of NOM’s donors. HRC has said the tax form came from a “whistleblower.” NOM is claiming that the form posted on HRC’s website has been digitally altered, with a non-altered version showing that the document is for “official use only” and has a document ID number for the IRS’s internal use.

More... (http://www.weeklystandard.com/blogs/national-organization-marriage-claims-irs-leaked-confidential-tax-info_640451.html)

Utah's Republican Senator Orin Hatch (http://dailycaller.com/2012/05/08/orrin-hatch-asks-irs-to-investigate-alleged-nom-donor-leak/), also a Mormon, has written a letter to the IRS calling for an investigation. Hatch may just be protecting his Utah constituents, who likely make up a large portion of the anonymous donors to the California referendum.

NOM has also issued a demand letter to both the HRC and the Huffington Post (which also published the documents), informing them that publicly revealing these confidential donors constitutes a “felony.” The letter also instructs both organizations to remove the names and links to their private donors from their website and their archives within 24 hours.

Lastly, NOM is insisting the outlets name the leak.

More... (http://dailycaller.com/2012/04/12/pro-marriage-group-thinks-irs-employee-leaked-mitt-romneys-donor-info-to-human-rights-campaign/)

Liagala
05-09-2012, 11:14 AM
If my organization went by the acronym NOM, I'd find a new name. Just sayin'

Xzean
05-09-2012, 02:47 PM
I wish they would OM NOM NOM on a bag of dicks. Fuckers.

Ryvicke
05-09-2012, 02:59 PM
I don't really know shit about mormon history but did they put up a fight when we took their polygamy away? They should have.

Sam
05-09-2012, 09:35 PM
We should just abolish state recognized marriage in all forms. Convert all current marriages to civil unions. Jesus and Allah can still consider them whatever they want them to be.

TheEschaton
05-09-2012, 09:48 PM
I have no problem with polygamy once they sort out the potential tax loopholes created - other than that, they shoulda fought for it. It's an interesting sociological question, as they're so anti-gay marriage yet preach such a non-normative form of marriage themselves.