PDA

View Full Version : State of the Union

ClydeR
01-24-2012, 01:48 PM
Looks like it's no more mr. nice guy.

http://i372.photobucket.com/albums/oo166/rmi08a/debbiebosanek.png

Republicans can counter Obama's negative message by demanding that Bosanek release her tax returns.

Rinualdo
01-24-2012, 03:24 PM
Republicans can counter Obama's negative message by demanding that Bosanek release her long form birth certificate.

FTFY

Parkbandit
01-24-2012, 03:27 PM
Looks like it's no more mr. nice guy.

http://i372.photobucket.com/albums/oo166/rmi08a/debbiebosanek.png

Republicans can counter Obama's negative message by demanding that Bosanek release her tax returns.

Or, Republicans can counter the stupidity by pointing out the facts of our current tax system.

This argument only works with really, really stupid people. It's no wonder why ClydeR still has trouble differentiating between income tax and capital gains tax.

Fallen
01-24-2012, 05:41 PM
Is the idea that if capital gains tax were to be graduated like income tax it would negatively impact the economy, etc, regardless of when the graduations began in terms of earnings? I imagine the same arguments would be made if income tax was flat and people wished to move to a graduated system.

Kembal
01-24-2012, 10:33 PM
Love to see someone answer Fallen's question with why it would be bad. (I think the proposed system makes economic sense.)

Jarvan
01-24-2012, 10:44 PM
Honestly, doesn't matter really. The Government could take 99% of everyone's income, and we would still never have enough money for the government.

Back
01-25-2012, 12:04 AM
Full video...

http://www.washingtonpost.com/politics/president-obamas-state-of-the-union-address-6448/2012/01/24/gIQAIwz3OQ_video.html

Buckwheet
01-25-2012, 08:24 AM
There were some good points brought up, but I could have done without the saber rattling and without all the complex additions to an already overburdened tax code.

I liked the idea of encouraging manufacturing to come back to the US by reducing the tax burden on them. But I think the big picture here is not just taxes, but unions and their labor demands.

I liked the idea of the china task force to watch out for trade problems. I just think back to all the Chinese sheet rock problems, lead paint in our baby products, and chinese baby forumla. I remember the US took quite a beating over contaminated beef products, but nothing is really done to China.

I work in education making software for teachers and students, and quite frankly, its the teacher's unions who need to change. His idea is good, but the teacher unions are the ones who are mostly protecting poor performing teachers. I have access to quite a number of NCLB, race to the top, and other federal programs. Our software detects failing teachers/kids. Its not hard to find out who they are.

The mortgage refinance programs are a joke. We tried to re-finance under the current program, but after months of paperwork the interest rate went back up to where it just didn't make sense to pay closing costs again. I mean the bank, Wells Fargo, was hung up on old college addresses on my credit report. I had to explain every last detail to them, yet I have lived in the same house for 10 years. They were concerned with data from 1998.

The Iran/Israel thing is getting tired. More America border/infastructure police, less America World Police thanks.

In general, it sounded okay, but most of it will never get done.

Parkbandit
01-25-2012, 10:55 AM
There were some good points brought up, but I could have done without the saber rattling and without all the complex additions to an already overburdened tax code.

I liked the idea of encouraging manufacturing to come back to the US by reducing the tax burden on them. But I think the big picture here is not just taxes, but unions and their labor demands.

I liked the idea of the china task force to watch out for trade problems. I just think back to all the Chinese sheet rock problems, lead paint in our baby products, and chinese baby forumla. I remember the US took quite a beating over contaminated beef products, but nothing is really done to China.

I work in education making software for teachers and students, and quite frankly, its the teacher's unions who need to change. His idea is good, but the teacher unions are the ones who are mostly protecting poor performing teachers. I have access to quite a number of NCLB, race to the top, and other federal programs. Our software detects failing teachers/kids. Its not hard to find out who they are.

The mortgage refinance programs are a joke. We tried to re-finance under the current program, but after months of paperwork the interest rate went back up to where it just didn't make sense to pay closing costs again. I mean the bank, Wells Fargo, was hung up on old college addresses on my credit report. I had to explain every last detail to them, yet I have lived in the same house for 10 years. They were concerned with data from 1998.

The Iran/Israel thing is getting tired. More America border/infastructure police, less America World Police thanks.

In general, it sounded okay, but most of it will never get done.

My favorite part is all the things we are going to do... as if he was running to be President for his first term.

And who thinks it's a good idea to grant the President additional responsibilities to consolidate power within departments of the government? For those who think it's a good idea.. would you also support it if Bush asked for this?

Parkbandit
01-25-2012, 11:16 AM
President Barack Obama says he will press Congress to approve a national home mortgage refinance plan that would prod banks to give millions of homeowners new low-interest mortgages.

“I’m sending this Congress a plan that gives every responsible homeowner the chance to save about $3,000 a year on their mortgage, by refinancing at historically low interest rates,” he said at Tuesday’s State of the Union address.

“No more red tape. No more runaround from the banks,” he said.

The program will save homeowners roughly $3,000 per year, according to the speech.

Rumors of the proposal have floated through D.C. in the last few weeks, but administration officials kept the plan secret until Tuesday’s speech.

If a million homeowners were to use the process, then the banks would lose $3 billion in annual revenue. That lost banking revenue could hit the banks hard, stymie lending to businesses, and cause economic problems in New York.

Banks will be allowed to charge a small fee per house, and the lower monthly payments will lower the level of distrust between people and the banks, Obama will argue.

“A small fee on the largest financial institutions will ensure that it won’t add to the deficit, and will give banks that were rescued by taxpayers a chance to repay a deficit of trust,” Obama explained.

Obama’s speech says the current economic crisis was caused, in part, by the banks.

“In 2008, the house of cards collapsed. We learned that mortgages had been sold to people who couldn’t afford or understand them,” he will say. “Banks had made huge bets and bonuses with other people’s money. … It plunged our economy into a crisis that put millions out of work, saddled us with more debt, and left innocent, hard-working Americans holding the bag.”

Read more: http://dailycaller.com/2012/01/24/obama-offers-cheap-election-year-mortgages/#ixzz1kUGcKTNS

So.. Obama believes that the banks will simply swallow the loss and in turn, they would "get" more trust from the people?

Can Obama be more out of touch with how the capitalist system actually works?

Whimsi
01-25-2012, 11:20 AM
So.. Obama believes that the banks will simply swallow the loss and in turn, they would "get" more trust from the people?

No, but I bet he hopes most voters are. Sound bites are where it's at, yo.

Keller
01-25-2012, 11:49 AM

It's like the American public is a girl, banks are our boyfriend, and Obama expects the banks to hand us a towel after houdini'ing (http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=Houdini) all over our face.

But seriously, why can't these people refinance without government intervention?

AnticorRifling
01-25-2012, 12:05 PM
I thought that was the cincinnati fake out.

Parkbandit
01-25-2012, 12:23 PM
But seriously, why can't these people refinance without government intervention?

^^ This

Stop trying to social engineer this shit... you would think these idiot politicians would learn after a while.......

AnticorRifling
01-25-2012, 12:30 PM

Credit scores.

Carl Spackler
01-25-2012, 01:04 PM
President Barack Obama says he will press Congress to approve a national home mortgage refinance plan that would prod banks to give millions of homeowners new low-interest mortgages.

This is only applying to refinancing though correct, and not new loans? I don't want to see people buying houses they can't truly afford only to have it blow up in our face again.

ClydeR
01-25-2012, 01:07 PM
The three most important political things from the State of the Union (http://www.whitehouse.gov/the-press-office/2012/01/24/remarks-president-state-union-address), listed in the order Obama raised them..

First, immigration. Obama has been thinking for a long time that he will be running against Romney. But I bet he is starting to wonder if Gingrich will be his opponent. Romney has been the most anti-immigration of the Republican candidates, at least until this week when he got to Florida. Obama would have no trouble clobbering Romney among immigrant voters, even though Romney will choose Rubio as Romney's running mate. But if Gingrich is the candidate, Gingrich's softer approach to immigration could siphon away some votes.

I believe as strongly as ever that we should take on illegal immigration. That’s why my administration has put more boots on the border than ever before. That’s why there are fewer illegal crossings than when I took office. The opponents of action are out of excuses. We should be working on comprehensive immigration reform right now. (Applause.)

Second, the Buffet Rule.

Now, you can call this class warfare all you want. But asking a billionaire to pay at least as much as his secretary in taxes? Most Americans would call that common sense.

We don’t begrudge financial success in this country. We admire it. When Americans talk about folks like me paying my fair share of taxes, it’s not because they envy the rich. It’s because they understand that when I get a tax break I don’t need and the country can’t afford, it either adds to the deficit, or somebody else has to make up the difference -- like a senior on a fixed income, or a student trying to get through school, or a family trying to make ends meet. That’s not right. Americans know that’s not right. They know that this generation’s success is only possible because past generations felt a responsibility to each other, and to the future of their country, and they know our way of life will only endure if we feel that same sense of shared responsibility. That’s how we’ll reduce our deficit. That’s an America built to last. (Applause.)

Third, and perhaps most importantly, what Obama hopes will be the main issue in the 2012 election.

Anyone who tells you otherwise, anyone who tells you that America is in decline or that our influence has waned, doesn’t know what they’re talking about. (Applause.)

That last one was aimed directly at Romney.

Obama appears to still believe that Romney will be his opponent in the general election, but he's not as certain of that as before.

Parkbandit
01-25-2012, 01:31 PM
The three most important political things from the State of the Union (http://www.whitehouse.gov/the-press-office/2012/01/24/remarks-president-state-union-address), listed in the order Obama raised them..

First, immigration. Obama has been thinking for a long time that he will be running against Romney. But I bet he is starting to wonder if Gingrich will be his opponent. Romney has been the most anti-immigration of the Republican candidates, at least until this week when he got to Florida. Obama would have no trouble clobbering Romney among immigrant voters, even though Romney will choose Rubio as Romney's running mate. But if Gingrich is the candidate, Gingrich's softer approach to immigration could siphon away some votes.

Could you give us a couple of examples of Romney being "anti-immigration"?

Second, the Buffet Rule.

I'm all for everyone paying the same taxes... but that's not what he means, is it...

Third, and perhaps most importantly, what Obama hopes will be the main issue in the 2012 election.

Obama appears to still believe that Romney will be his opponent in the general election, but he's not as certain of that as before.

The last one sounded like an Obama quote from '08 to be honest.

ClydeR
01-25-2012, 02:17 PM
Could you give us a couple of examples of Romney being "anti-immigration"?

That's a fair question. But you don't have to take my word for it. As proof, I offer the unimpeachable testimony of Newt Gingrich, from his Univision appearance.

“For Romney to believe that somebody’s grandmother is going to be so cut off that she is going to self deport. I mean, this is an Obama-level fantasy. He certainly shows no concern for the humanity of people who are already here," Newt Gingrich said about Mitt Romney's immigration policy.

Watch the video here (http://www.realclearpolitics.com/video/2012/01/25/gingrich_romney_shows_no_concern_for_humanity_of_i llegal_immigrants.html).

~Rocktar~
01-25-2012, 03:56 PM
Isn't this idea of forcing the banks to lend to those that have no business financing a pack of gum how we ended up in this housing bubble aftermath in the first place? Yeah, it sucked the first time so let's try it again. More Keynesian'esque economic failure on the way, I can't wait.

Kembal
01-25-2012, 05:14 PM
My favorite part is all the things we are going to do... as if he was running to be President for his first term.

And who thinks it's a good idea to grant the President additional responsibilities to consolidate power within departments of the government? For those who think it's a good idea.. would you also support it if Bush asked for this?

Yes! Presidents historically had that power until Congress took it away only a couple of decades ago.

Why do you think it's so damned impossible to get near-duplicate programs shut down?

Kembal
01-25-2012, 05:17 PM
This is only applying to refinancing though correct, and not new loans? I don't want to see people buying houses they can't truly afford only to have it blow up in our face again.

Yeah, refinancing only. I would not be surprised if it's only on Freddie Mac/Fannie Mae guaranteed mortgages. Not sure it'll actually happen or work though...HAMP was a failure.

Jarvan
01-25-2012, 06:13 PM
Yes! Presidents historically had that power until Congress took it away only a couple of decades ago.

Why do you think it's so damned impossible to get near-duplicate programs shut down?

I don't know about you, But I LOVE it when my President tells the Congress and America, that if they don't do what he wants, he will do it without them.

Hell yeah!!.. That's the kind of Dicta.. I mean Democracy I love!

poloneus
01-25-2012, 07:45 PM

Housing values have dropped significantly across the country. If you've been in your home less than maybe 1-7 years, you stand a good chance of owning a home that is worth less in the current market than your mortgage, even after all those payments. Most can not refinance in that case as the new mortgage would be more than the current value of the house.

Also, the banks intentionally drag their feet in the process because if they do the refinance they are losing out on higher rates of return from the old interest rate. If you've ever been through a home buying experience you know it can drag on for months and months and months. This is just as bad, and sometimes worse. Don't forget the fees that can total in the $1000's, some of which they'll want to collect more than once when the process takes too long (through no fault of your own.)

Luckily I was able to get the process done 2 years ago for a little over a point, and might do it again for another point at the current rates, but I have a full-time job already.

poloneus
01-25-2012, 07:49 PM
I don't know about you, But I LOVE it when my President tells the Congress and America, that if they don't do what he wants, he will do it without them.

Hell yeah!!.. That's the kind of Dicta.. I mean Democracy I love!

Well, democracy used to work with a 51% majority. Today you need 60% to get anything done because of arcane rules of the Congress. The minority party are abusing that system. And the Dems did it too when they were in the minority, although to a lesser extent. Not saying I like the executive branch doing an end-run around the legislative, but it would be nice if shit got done. These jackasses can't even pass bills they agree on.

Parkbandit
01-25-2012, 08:12 PM
That's a fair question. But you don't have to take my word for it. As proof, I offer the unimpeachable testimony of Newt Gingrich, from his Univision appearance.

Watch the video here (http://www.realclearpolitics.com/video/2012/01/25/gingrich_romney_shows_no_concern_for_humanity_of_i llegal_immigrants.html).

So... you've established you have no idea that there is a difference between capital gains taxes and income taxes.. and now you have proven you have no idea between immigration and illegal immigration.

Do you want to take a mulligan on this and try again? (Sorry Delias)

ClydeR
01-27-2012, 11:26 AM

Anyone who tells you otherwise, anyone who tells you that America is in decline or that our influence has waned, doesn’t know what they’re talking about. (Applause.)

It turns out I was exactly right to hone in on this point. My snap review of the State of the Union address is the sort of high level insight that you only get from Clyde.

President Barack Obama is personally enamored with a recent essay written by neoconservative writer Bob Kagan, an advisor to Mitt Romney, in which Kagan argues that the idea the United States is in decline is false.

More... (http://thecable.foreignpolicy.com/posts/2012/01/26/obama_embraces_romney_advisor_s_theory_on_the_myth _of_american_decline)

Just hours earlier on Tuesday, in an off-the-record meeting with leading news anchors, including ABC's George Stephanopoulos and NBC's Brian Williams, Obama drove home that argument using an article (http://www.tnr.com/article/politics/magazine/99521/america-world-power-declinism?passthru=ZDkyNzQzZTk3YWY3YzE0OWM5MGRiZmI wNGQwNDBiZmI) written in The New Republic by Kagan entitled "The Myth of American Decline."

Obama liked Kagan's article so much that he spent more than 10 minutes talking about it in the meeting, going over its arguments paragraph by paragraph, National Security Council spokesman Tommy Vietor confirmed to The Cable.