PDA

View Full Version : Chastity at BYU, Even for Basketball Players

ClydeR
03-03-2011, 01:15 PM
Brigham Young University, Mitt Romney's Mormon alma mater, kicked a player off the basketball team for admitting to having premarital sex with his girlfriend.

BYU's honor code forbids students from having premarital sex and instructs them to "live a chaste and virtuous life."

More... (http://sports.espn.go.com/ncb/news/story?id=6175090)

BYU's honor code also requires students to be honest; abstain from alcoholic beverages, tobacco, tea, coffee and substance abuse; and attend church regularly.

In their first game without Davies on Wednesday, the Cougars lost 82-64 to New Mexico.

I strongly object to BYU's honor code. There's no way people can or should avoid iced tea. The rest of it is fine, except for the part about sideburns. If Elvis wore his hair that way, then it should be okay with no questions asked.

As a matter of personal commitment, faculty, administration, staff, and students of Brigham Young University, Brigham Young University—Hawaii, Brigham Young University—Idaho, and LDS Business College seek to demonstrate in daily living on and off campus those moral virtues encompassed in the gospel of Jesus Christ, and will

Be honest
Live a chaste and virtuous life
Obey the law and all campus policies
Use clean language
Respect others
Abstain from alcoholic beverages, tobacco, tea, coffee, and substance abuse
Participate regularly in church services
Observe the Dress and Grooming Standards
Encourage others in their commitment to comply with the Honor Code

Specific policies embodied in the Honor Code include (1) the Academic Honesty Policy, (2) the Dress and Grooming Standards, (3) the Residential Living Standards, and (4) the Continuing Student Ecclesiastical Endorsement. (Refer to institutional policies for more detailed information.)

More... (http://saas.byu.edu/catalog/2010-2011ucat/GeneralInfo/HonorCode.php)

They have a whole section devoted to homosexuals.

THIMC, I'm leaving tomorrow afternoon for Christian Spring Break and I'm trying to get all the good stuff posted before I go.

LMingrone
03-03-2011, 02:17 PM
Christian Spring Break sounds like a blast!

AnticorRifling
03-03-2011, 02:36 PM
Don't like it don't go there. You agree to the rules when you agree to go there. It's not rocket surgery.

Latrinsorm
03-03-2011, 02:37 PM
I don't know, Anticor, do you think this guy is the first BYU basketball player to have premarital sex? It seems like there's more going on here.

Fallen
03-03-2011, 02:38 PM
It's not rocket surgery.

Well, a branch of it, maybe.

LMingrone
03-03-2011, 02:51 PM
I don't know, Anticor, do you think this guy is the first BYU basketball player to have premarital sex? It seems like there's more going on here.

NONE of the football team has had sex either. Nope! I think the player/player's girl leaked it somewhere else first, or told a friend and they had to hold to these fake "morals" they stand by. The Devout Christian girls I've met were usually the most sexually repressed and freaky in the sack.

AnticorRifling
03-03-2011, 02:54 PM
Odd your mom didn't mention being religious. OH SNAP!

Obviously this goes on all the time I think this instance was made public so the school had to act in order to adhere to their "code".

Drew
03-03-2011, 03:47 PM
Actually the kid came forward and admitted it, at least that's what I read. If that's the case kudos to him. He signed up for the rules voluntarily and he broke them.