PDA

View Full Version : Egypt

ClydeR
01-29-2011, 11:12 AM
1, 2, 3

1. Obama's speech in Cairo in 2009.

There is no straight line to realize this promise. But this much is clear: governments that protect these rights are ultimately more stable, successful and secure. Suppressing ideas never succeeds in making them go away. America respects the right of all peaceful and law-abiding voices to be heard around the world, even if we disagree with them. And we will welcome all elected, peaceful governments – provided they govern with respect for all their people.

This last point is important because there are some who advocate for democracy only when they are out of power; once in power, they are ruthless in suppressing the rights of others. No matter where it takes hold, government of the people and by the people sets a single standard for all who hold power: you must maintain your power through consent, not coercion; you must respect the rights of minorities, and participate with a spirit of tolerance and compromise; you must place the interests of your people and the legitimate workings of the political process above your party. Without these ingredients, elections alone do not make true democracy.

More... (http://www.nytimes.com/2009/06/04/us/politics/04obama.text.html?_r=1&pagewanted=all)

2. Riots in Tunisia.

Meh (http://www.forum.gsplayers.com/showpost.php?p=1228011&postcount=24).

3. Riots in Egypt.

Egypt is an oil producing country and an important transit point for the world's oil supply. Obama called Mubarak and then made a public statement.

Violence will not address the grievances of the Egyptian people. And suppressing ideas never succeeds in making them go away. What’s needed right now are concrete steps that advance the rights of the Egyptian people: a meaningful dialogue between the government and its citizens, and a path of political change that leads to a future of greater freedom and greater opportunity and justice for the Egyptian people.

Now, ultimately the future of Egypt will be determined by the Egyptian people. And I believe that the Egyptian people want the same things that we all want -- a better life for ourselves and our children, and a government that is fair and just and responsive. Put simply, the Egyptian people want a future that befits the heirs to a great and ancient civilization.

The United States always will be a partner in pursuit of that future. And we are committed to working with the Egyptian government and the Egyptian people -- all quarters -- to achieve it.

More... (http://www.whitehouse.gov/blog/2011/01/28/president-obama-situation-egypt-all-governments-must-maintain-power-through-consent-)

What do you make of Obama's remarks? Egyptians seem to think it was a signal of support for the Mubarak government.

The streets of Cairo are reportedly littered with emptied Made in the USA teargas cannisters (http://edition.cnn.com/2011/WORLD/africa/01/28/egypt.us.tear.gas/) that people are photographing on their cell phones.

Our policy is, as it should be, driven by oil. The spice must flow.

Androidpk
01-29-2011, 11:18 AM
Why should our policy be driven by oil?

Buckwheet
01-29-2011, 11:52 AM
We are the worlds biggest exporter of weapons, so the chances of a country we are allied with using our weapons against citizens or other countries is pretty large.

So the logic, of a country using weapons against their citizens that were bought before they were at war with their citizens means the US is against said citizens, doesn't really hold any water.

Androidpk
01-29-2011, 11:55 AM
So the logic, of a country using weapons against their citizens that were bought before they were at war with their citizens means the US is against said citizens, doesn't really hold any water.

Correct. It does highlight some disturbing policies though.

Buckwheet
01-29-2011, 12:03 PM
That depends.

I am not sure what policies you are referencing. However if its the policy of selling civilian control weaponry to countries along with military or defense style weaponry, I think you need to ask if you would rather have Russia selling Egypt civilian control weaponry while we supply them military grade hardware.

I don't think that is the best policy. I think if we know what governments are buying, because they are buying it from us, then we know their full capabilities.

Not to mention people say the cold war is dead, but since Russia sells tons of weapons to people we don't like, we probably don't want them whispering sweet nothings into the military ears of the government of countries we are allies with.

Maybe call Russia a super power through China proxy.

Androidpk
01-29-2011, 12:37 PM
The policy of exporting so many weapons to so many different countries.

4a6c1
01-29-2011, 02:50 PM
omg the dots. connect them!!!~111

Buckwheet
01-29-2011, 04:08 PM
The policy of exporting so many weapons to so many different countries.

Depending on the circumstances I might agree with you.

Michaelous
01-29-2011, 05:41 PM
bombing of the church in egypt less than 2 weeks ago, now rioting to overthrow a government that publicly protects christians. the public view is this is a civil unrest, reality is this is a religious unrest.

look what happened to iran when they did they exact same thing, in thier minds and the public they jumped out of the frying pan and into the fire.

Warriorbird
01-29-2011, 05:56 PM
bombing of the church in egypt less than 2 weeks ago, now rioting to overthrow a government that publicly protects christians. the public view is this is a civil unrest, reality is this is a religious unrest.

look what happened to iran when they did they exact same thing, in thier minds and the public they jumped out of the frying pan and into the fire.

I read this as "KILL THE INFIDELS!"

Freaking out and declaring some Christian jihad is exactly the last thing we need to do.

We need to simultaneously encourage the government to calm down while not alienating the rebels and letting the al-Alwaki type faction take over if the current rebel leadership gets removed.

Super simple!

Parkbandit
01-29-2011, 05:58 PM

I doubt it's religious right now, but it very well could turn into it if things get out of hand there.

Gan
01-29-2011, 11:01 PM
I don't expect religion to enter the fray until after Mubarak is ousted (killed) and the power vaccum rips open a void that cleric leaders will rush to fill.

It would be silly to think cleric leaders aren't watching this with great interest and opportunity.

Androidpk
01-29-2011, 11:13 PM
Preemptive strikes on the clerics!

4a6c1
01-29-2011, 11:18 PM
AT LEAST ALL THE SWINE ARE OKAY. Jk jk. Count me as one more that is worried about Egypt becoming yet another Muslim theocracy.

Latrinsorm
01-29-2011, 11:25 PM

look what happened to iran when they did they exact same thing, in thier minds and the public they jumped out of the frying pan and into the fire.Muslims specifically went into Coptic churches as human shields in Egypt. Your ignorance is disgusting.

IorakeWarhammer
01-30-2011, 07:45 AM
I hope the Muslim Brotherhood is given whatever spot in the Government that the people feel they deserve

Androidpk
01-30-2011, 08:07 AM
Which is hopefully no spot at all.

IorakeWarhammer
01-30-2011, 08:32 AM
but if the people want it, isn't it undemocratic to hope they don't get their due power?

kinda like:

2006, Condi Rice sez: OMG WE NEED ELECTIONS IN PALESTINE!

Then Hamas wins.. :P

Androidpk
01-30-2011, 08:40 AM
Yes...

And what i'm saying is I hope the people of Egypt don't go down that path. They've been making great strides in women's rights and you know if the Brotherhood got into power they would reverse all of that.

IorakeWarhammer
01-30-2011, 09:55 AM
a lot of the support from the brotherhood is from the women

let's not mistake Saudi patriarchal culture with Islamic Shariah. women in Islam should be treated much more liberally than Arab culture usually dictates.

The dreaded Anwar al Awlaki once said: the Muslims in the time of Muhammad were more liberal than the conservative Muslims of today, and more conservative than the liberal Muslims of today.

probably a terrible source to quote, but I'd say a very real assessment.

IorakeWarhammer
01-30-2011, 11:17 AM
"The looting of Cairo’s world-famous Egyptian Museum over the weekend seems to have engendered the desired news headlines.

‘Looters smash ancient treasures’, ‘Looters decapitate mummies’, ‘Looters rip off heads of artifacts’ etc., read a rash of headlines, following the apparent breaking into the country’s national museum, which is said to house the world’s biggest of Pharaonic antiquities.

However, it has since emerged, although with much less headline coverage, that some of the would-be looters apprehended by protesters outside the museum were identified as working for the state’s interior ministry.

Also, tellingly, Zahi Hawass, the Secretary General of the Supreme Council of Antiquities, told Al Jazeera news service that protesters had actually tried to stop the alleged looters from entering the museum, but that the attackers managed to enter the building from the roof. Given that there was no apparent attempt to steal the priceless artifacts, it seems a strange expenditure of effort on the part of the culprits just to go on a wrecking spree for the sake of it.

The incident may be just a foretaste of a wider range of propaganda stunts or false flags, including atrocities and fatalities, that the Mubarak regime will enact in order to discredit the protest movement sweeping that nation, and to serve as a pretext for intensifying the crackdown by security forces, which has already left over 100 dead and 2,000 injured."

http://www.globalresearch.ca/index.php?context=va&aid=23005

and a completely alternative view:

http://www.globalresearch.ca/index.php?context=va&aid=23004

(basically shows the movement is an attempted coup BY U.S. interests, so it will be interesting to see how this plays out.)

ClydeR
01-31-2011, 11:11 AM
People don't realize the risks to America from the turmoil in Egypt. In its position (http://twitpic.com/bum2w) between Saudi Arabia and Iran, Egypt is a key to fighting extremism.

Androidpk
01-31-2011, 11:36 AM
People don't realize the risks to America from the turmoil in Egypt. In its position (http://twitpic.com/bum2w) between Saudi Arabia and Iran, Egypt is a key to fighting extremism.

You're absolutely right. Which is why we should give our unconditional support to Mubarak, who isn't a dictator, and hope he squashes this civilian uprising. Back to your cages, peons!

Warriorbird
01-31-2011, 11:42 AM
You're absolutely right. Which is why we should give our unconditional support to Mubarak, who isn't a dictator, and hope he squashes this civilian uprising. Back to your cages, peons!

There's the thing. Who exactly should we support in that region, who not?

Atlanteax
01-31-2011, 11:46 AM
Egypt will be fine... the Military will push through a transition to a new leader from their ranks to replace Mubarak, who will now be unable to effect a transition to his son.

The opposition is united in opposing Mubarak, but there is no unity on a potentially truly democratically-elected leader, even for ElBaideia (sp?) the former IAEA inspector.

What is a bit disappointing is that apparently the instances of rioting was enabled by plain clothes police officers releasing inmates from multiple jails.
So there's a bit of tension between the Army and the Police forces in general.

Warriorbird
01-31-2011, 11:55 AM
ElBaradei.

Suppa Hobbit Mage
01-31-2011, 12:04 PM
The Army is well respected and will do what Atlanteax said, at least that's what analysts have been saying. The danger is from the Muslim Brotherhood, which has been more active the last two days.

IorakeWarhammer
01-31-2011, 12:32 PM
if 30% of the people ally with the brotherhood, shouldn't they be 30% of the Govt?

Androidpk
01-31-2011, 01:01 PM
if 30% of the people ally with the brotherhood, shouldn't they be 30% of the Govt?

No.

TheEschaton
01-31-2011, 01:33 PM
This will be a cause celebre for about anoter week on Twitter, and Facebook, and then nothing will change, and people will forget about the "amazing revolution of the people" who "we stand united with" in so many asinine Facebook statuses. Just like the protests in Iran last year.

Kembal
01-31-2011, 04:45 PM
This will be a cause celebre for about anoter week on Twitter, and Facebook, and then nothing will change, and people will forget about the "amazing revolution of the people" who "we stand united with" in so many asinine Facebook statuses. Just like the protests in Iran last year.

I'd say Wikileaks changed that dynamic dramatically. See Tunisia.

I think we'll know by Friday whether Mubarak is out or not.

Rinualdo
01-31-2011, 04:53 PM
Wonder how long it will take the Chinese citizens to get information on what is happening in Egypt.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/afp/20110131/wl_asia_afp/chinaegyptunrestpoliticsinternetmediacensor

Firestorm Killa
01-31-2011, 06:18 PM
Been watching the news on these uprisings and protests in many of these Arab and European countries. Does anyone else find it strange that the protesters are holding up the Communist(Soviet) flag at all of these protests? Seems like there is more going on that the press isn't talking about.

IorakeWarhammer
01-31-2011, 06:23 PM
you retard. all of these places have no interest in communism.

Firestorm Killa
01-31-2011, 06:28 PM
you retard. all of these places have no interest in communism.

Oh yeah? So explain to me the flags that the protesters backed by the muslim brotherhood are holding.

Edit: Heres a link to one video.
http://www.libertarianrepublican.net/2011/01/radical-muslims-palestinian.html

NocturnalRob
01-31-2011, 06:30 PM
Oh yeah? So explain to me the flags that the protesters backed by the muslim brotherhood are holding.
I'm so glad you're back.

3 days is too long.

Firestorm Killa
01-31-2011, 06:32 PM
I'm so glad you're back.

3 days is too long.

Only 3 days? Yeah I bet you are..

NocturnalRob
01-31-2011, 06:36 PM
What flags are you talking about?

Firestorm Killa
01-31-2011, 06:41 PM
The red one with the sickle and hammer. Wasn't in that link?

Edit: it is in the video, they just don't focus on it long enough.

NocturnalRob
01-31-2011, 06:45 PM
Ah, didn't catch the edit. I'll watch the video right after I finish this one of a little Japanese girl playing with her pet chipmunk.

Firestorm Killa
01-31-2011, 06:45 PM
Ah, didn't catch the edit. I'll watch the video right after I finish this one of a little Japanese girl playing with her pet chipmunk.

lmao! Pokemon?

Rinualdo
01-31-2011, 09:15 PM

Edit: Heres a link to one video.
http://www.libertarianrepublican.net/2011/01/radical-muslims-palestinian.html

lol @ any website with libertarian and republican...

Warriorbird
01-31-2011, 11:28 PM
Your ClydeR is showing, FK.

IorakeWarhammer
02-01-2011, 08:14 AM
I've had 3-4 PMs asking about membership of the Muslim Brotherhood. You have to be in the Middle East to join, people! And no I don't know anyone in the organization!

Fallen
02-01-2011, 08:18 AM
I've had 3-4 PMs asking about membership of the Muslim Brotherhood. You have to be in the Middle East to join, people! And no I don't know anyone in the organization!

Sally Jessy Raphael: So, you say your son was kidnapped by voodoo witch doctors? Let's take a call.

Gomez: Hello, Sally?

Sally Jessy Raphael: [frustrated] Mr. Addams, please, stop calling! We do not know where they meet!

Parkbandit
02-01-2011, 08:24 AM
I just got a message that Jordon's King dissolved the government?

WTF?

IorakeWarhammer
02-01-2011, 08:41 AM
yeah when human beings are oppressed they tend to get pissed off and protest / cause revolutions / cause governments to get dissolved, etc. i just hope it will truly benefit them and not be all smoke and mirrors.

Parkbandit
02-01-2011, 08:46 AM
Here it is:

AMMAN, Jordan -- Jordan's Royal Palace says the king has sacked his government in the wake of street protests and has asked an ex-army general to form a new Cabinet.

King Abdullah's move comes after thousands of Jordanians took to the streets -- inspired by the regime ouster in Tunisia and the turmoil in Egypt -- and called for the resignation of Prime Minister Samir Rifai who is blamed for a rise in fuel and food prices and slowed political reforms.

The Royal Palace says Rifai's Cabinet resigned on Tuesday.

http://www.foxnews.com/world/2011/02/01/jordans-king-abdullah-dissolves-government/

IorakeWarhammer
02-01-2011, 09:27 AM
CIA inspired revolution to quell the masses, or true revolution?! TIME SHALL TELL

pabstblueribbon
02-01-2011, 05:37 PM
What the US state department really means.... lol

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rBuMuzhvYeA

Rinualdo
02-01-2011, 05:41 PM
Here it is:

AMMAN, Jordan -- Jordan's Royal Palace says the king has sacked his government in the wake of street protests and has asked an ex-army general to form a new Cabinet.

King Abdullah's move comes after thousands of Jordanians took to the streets -- inspired by the regime ouster in Tunisia and the turmoil in Egypt -- and called for the resignation of Prime Minister Samir Rifai who is blamed for a rise in fuel and food prices and slowed political reforms.

The Royal Palace says Rifai's Cabinet resigned on Tuesday.

http://www.foxnews.com/world/2011/02/01/jordans-king-abdullah-dissolves-government/

I know little about Jordan's politics. I'm curious what role the Cabinet has and how significant it is relative to their total government structure.

Atlanteax
02-03-2011, 09:53 AM
Jordan is far more stable than Egypt, the King was making preemptive moves to work with / co-adopt portions of the political opposition.

Overall, it would seem that members of Jordan's government (perhaps best represented by the cabinet) are much more responsive to the population?

Parkbandit
02-03-2011, 03:58 PM
I know little about Jordan's politics. I'm curious what role the Cabinet has and how significant it is relative to their total government structure.

Meh.. neither do I to be honest. Just seems weird that all of a sudden we have thousands of protesters in barely countries that seem to be so easy to make unstable. I would love to find out who/what is really behind all this "unrest"... I bet it would surprise many people.

Latrinsorm
02-03-2011, 04:04 PM
Meh.. neither do I to be honest. Just seems weird that all of a sudden we have thousands of protesters in barely countries that seem to be so easy to make unstable. I would love to find out who/what is really behind all this "unrest"... I bet it would surprise many people.Do you have a specific explanation in mind?

Cephalopod
02-03-2011, 04:13 PM
Meh.. neither do I to be honest. Just seems weird that all of a sudden we have thousands of protesters in barely countries that seem to be so easy to make unstable. I would love to find out who/what is really behind all this "unrest"... I bet it would surprise many people.

THE CIA.

Paradii
02-03-2011, 04:18 PM
Do you have a specific explanation in mind?

Local conditions unique to each area?

I flipped through a daily show skit a week or so ago that played that downplayed that angle, comedy ensued.

NocturnalRob
02-03-2011, 04:19 PM
I flipped through a daily show skit a week or so ago that played that downplayed that angle, comedy ensued.
I don't believe you. That's so unlike their comedic agenda.

Paradii
02-03-2011, 04:23 PM
I don't believe you. That's so unlike their comedic agenda.

http://media.giantbomb.com/uploads/0/4009/1097290-i_see_what_you_did_there_super.jpg

Kembal
02-03-2011, 05:29 PM

High unemployment + Online Social Media + Wikileaks + success in Tunisia.

Oh, and a bunch of dictators.

Kembal
02-03-2011, 05:33 PM
Jordan is far more stable than Egypt, the King was making preemptive moves to work with / co-adopt portions of the political opposition.

Overall, it would seem that members of Jordan's government (perhaps best represented by the cabinet) are much more responsive to the population?

Depends on the population. Jordan has two different groups: the original people of the East Bank, and the Palestinians.

As far as Jordan goes, it'll survive. It is a monarchy....but I'd expect the King will have less unilateral power to dissolve the Cabinet and Parliament at the end of everything.

The other Arab states with dictator Presidents....well, those are going to get interesting.

Michaelous
02-03-2011, 05:52 PM
Muslims specifically went into Coptic churches as human shields in Egypt. Your ignorance is disgusting.

lol, what the hell did i say? Christians are killed every single day in egypt. Im not syaing all the muslums thier hate christians, but the truth is most of them don't care if they are killed or not. When a certain religious people are killed everyday because of thier faith its only logical that there is distain for them in the midst of that society.

The muslum brotherhood wants to take over egypt, if that happens, the people will be begging for another mubarark as currupt as he is. If that happens, also there will be plenty of bloodshed as demonstrations like this won't be tolerated and people and organizers will be killed by the thousands, also if that happens we wont see alot of the horror as in saudi arabia, and iran. media will be cut off, including all internet, facebook, social networks. There complaining about a temporary ban now on these things. If the muslum brother hood takes over it will be permanant. And the reality is if it really was a democracy the brotherhood would be voted into power. Cause the majority of the people there are siding with them. when these people see thier muslum "people of god" being tortured and killed by mubarak's "democracy" it put a bad taste in thier mouth for democracy. and makes them sympathize with the muslum brotherhood. They hold signs up for democracy, but thats not what they want. They don't know what they want. In my personnel opionion, egypt is far beyond repair. Curruption will always exist there. But its better to have the curruption masked by a democracy then masked by islamic militants.

Paradii
02-03-2011, 06:03 PM
My brain assploded after reading that should-of-been-aborted wall of garbled text.

Keller
02-03-2011, 06:05 PM
lol, what the hell did i say? Christians are killed every single day in egypt. Im not syaing all the muslums thier hate christians, but the truth is most of them don't care if they are killed or not. When a certain religious people are killed everyday because of thier faith its only logical that there is distain for them in the midst of that society.

The muslum brotherhood wants to take over egypt, if that happens, the people will be begging for another mubarark as currupt as he is. If that happens, also there will be plenty of bloodshed as demonstrations like this won't be tolerated and people and organizers will be killed by the thousands, also if that happens we wont see alot of the horror as in saudi arabia, and iran. media will be cut off, including all internet, facebook, social networks. There complaining about a temporary ban now on these things. If the muslum brother hood takes over it will be permanant. And the reality is if it really was a democracy the brotherhood would be voted into power. Cause the majority of the people there are siding with them. when these people see thier muslum "people of god" being tortured and killed by mubarak's "democracy" it put a bad taste in thier mouth for democracy. and makes them sympathize with the muslum brotherhood. They hold signs up for democracy, but thats not what they want. They don't know what they want. In my personnel opionion, egypt is far beyond repair. Curruption will always exist there. But its better to have the curruption masked by a democracy then masked by islamic militants.

http://www.bestweekever.tv/bwe/images/2010/07/Antoine-Dodson-Dumb.gif

Warriorbird
02-03-2011, 06:14 PM
It basically equaled JIHAD! JIHAD!

Parkbandit
02-03-2011, 06:20 PM
Do you have a specific explanation in mind?

Which part of :

. I would love to find out who/what is really behind all this "unrest"

confused you so much? Obviously I do not have a specific expanation in mind.

It just seems like we've travelled down this road before... like Iran off the top of my head... and we see how awesome that turned out, didn't we?

Rinualdo
02-03-2011, 10:01 PM

The sad thing Keller, is that you missed a few.

Parkbandit
02-04-2011, 12:04 AM
For 10 days, violent protests have engulfed Egypt, calling for the resignation of embattled president Hosni Mubarak, killing at least eight and wounding hundreds as increasing lawlessness, looting and arson continues. Friday will be the moment of truth for both sides as pro-democracy protesters have declared call for all Egyptians to descend on Mubarak's palace in Heliopolis, the People's Assembly and the television building that afternoon.

Dissatisfied with Mubarak's Feb. 1 announcement that he will remain in power until elections are held in Sept., protesters have given Mubarak until Fri. to leave office, declaring Feb. 4 the "Friday of Departure", where they will march to Mubarak's palace in a last-ditch attempt to force the president out of office.

NewscastMedia.com reports that the Egyptian army has taken sides with the protesters, and will allow them to demonstrate, while opposition leader Mohamed ElBaradei made Fri. an unofficial deadline for Mubarak to step down.

"They hope that this will end today or Friday at the latest, and they called the coming Friday 'the Friday of Departure', but I hope that President Mubarak will take heed before then and leave the country after 30 years of rule and give the people a chance, and I don't expect that he wants to see more blood," ElBaradei told al-Arabiya TV on Feb. 1.

Mubarak told ABC News' Christiane Amanpour that while he's fed up with being Egypt's president right now and would like to step down, he cannot because he fears the country would sink into chaos.

Will "Friday of Departure" mark the climax of 10 days of protests, resulting in Mubarak's ouster, or will it simply be another day in the dangerous drawn-out battle between the people of Egypt and their president? Until Mubarak steps down, the anti-government protesters don't plan on backing down either.

http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-503543_162-20030607-503543.html

Sounds like an ultimatum has been issued... tomorrow is shaping up to be a pretty bad day in Egypt.

Androidpk
02-04-2011, 12:08 AM
Wow. Talk about history unfolding right before your eyes.

IorakeWarhammer
02-04-2011, 08:32 AM
al-yawm ya Misr! yalla ya Allaah!

[today O' Egypt! let's go by God!]

AnticorRifling
02-04-2011, 08:40 AM
You know you're white and American right?

Parkbandit
02-04-2011, 08:49 AM

BUT HE HAS A REALLY SHITTY LOOKING BEARD! Doesn't that automatically make him a crazy fucking Islamic radical?

Androidpk
02-04-2011, 08:58 AM
Aren't all islamists crazy radicals??

Cephalopod
02-04-2011, 09:47 AM
Today I learned...

...that Fidel Castro has a blog?

Reflections by Fidel Castro: Mubarak's Fate is Sealed (http://www.escambray.cu/Eng/Special/fidel110202502)

Mubarak's fate is sealed, not even the support of the United States will be able to save his government. The people of Egypt are an intelligent people with a glorious history who left their mark on civilization. "From the top of these pyramids, 40 centuries of history are looking down upon us," Bonaparte once said in a moment of exaltation when the revolution brought him to this extraordinary crossroads of civilizations.

Gan
02-04-2011, 09:52 AM
Today I learned...

...that Fidel Castro has a blog?

The backhanded irony of Castro commenting on the Egypt revolution, considering the democratic sentiment of the protestors in Egypt is quite humorous.

I wonder if the Cuban people are paying attention...

IorakeWarhammer
02-04-2011, 10:42 AM

all of my brothers are fighting for their freedom there.. i am closer to them than you guys.. in my heart anyway..

lets just hope it isnt a fruitless procedure..

you're all lucky to be seeing this in your lifetimes.. a foul dictator being overthrown by his disgusted people.. touching, no?

AnticorRifling
02-04-2011, 10:45 AM
Go fight with them. Don't talk about it, be about it.

Keller
02-04-2011, 10:46 AM
lets just hope it isnt a fruitless procedure..

Arab on arab violence is never fruitless.

IorakeWarhammer
02-04-2011, 10:49 AM
but you guys, being upstanding Western citizens, are so happy that a dictator who violated human rights and democratic principles is being taken out of power by the majority? certainly you're toasting to the success of the Egyptians over dinner? surely you support the Egyptian majority's wishes?

IorakeWarhammer
02-04-2011, 10:56 AM
Arab on arab violence is never fruitless.

yes Arabs may be fighting each other, but they are not sent at the behest of Arabs. the Mubarak regime is pro-USA. they paid their supporters 10$ per day to go out and support them.

this effort is pro-Egypt, pro-Islam, pro-Arab, anti-neocon, anti-Israel

lets just hope their leadership is truly majority rules, and not big superpowers rule by proxy dictator.. we shall see.. i'm optimistic

Keller
02-04-2011, 11:09 AM
yes Arabs may be fighting each other, but they are not sent at the behest of Arabs. the Mubarak regime is pro-USA. they paid their supporters 10$ per day to go out and support them.

this effort is pro-Egypt, pro-Islam, pro-Arab, anti-neocon, anti-Israel

lets just hope their leadership is truly majority rules, and not big superpowers rule by proxy dictator.. we shall see.. i'm optimistic

Would you settle for a little superpower rule by proxy dictator?

IorakeWarhammer
02-04-2011, 11:35 AM
i'm hoping for 50 million staunch Islamists who are liberal with women and totally against US foreign policy in the region :)

Parkbandit
02-04-2011, 12:03 PM

This.

I will make you a nice "I <3 Israel" tee shirt to wear over there.

IorakeWarhammer
02-04-2011, 12:08 PM
I love Israel. I just don't like atheist bankers bent on world domination hijacking Judaism and using it as a cover to conquer the Middle East.

Parkbandit
02-04-2011, 12:10 PM
i'm hoping for 50 million staunch Islamists who are liberal with women and totally against US foreign policy in the region :)

I agree. Then after they declare war on Israel and get their asses kicked again, I say Israel should keep whatever land they take over.

Rinualdo
02-04-2011, 12:18 PM
I say Israel should keep whatever land they take over.

Out of all the conflicts in the last 50 years, I never understood this aspect of the 6 day war.

Why the fuck Isreal didn't keep marching to Tripoli and keep all the land in between baffles me.

I'm not Israel lover, but...

Don't start nothin', won't be nothin'

RichardCranium
02-04-2011, 12:22 PM
I thought it was christian politicians and super secret plans from intelligence agencies that wanted to conquer the Middle East.

Parkbandit
02-04-2011, 12:22 PM
Out of all the conflicts in the last 50 years, I never understood this aspect of the 6 day war.

Why the fuck Isreal didn't keep marching to Tripoli and keep all the land in between baffles me.

I'm not Israel lover, but...

Don't start nothin', won't be nothin'

Same reason why Bush #1 didn't go straight through Iraq..

AnticorRifling
02-04-2011, 12:23 PM
I love Israel. I just don't like atheist bankers bent on world domination hijacking Judaism and using it as a cover to conquer the Middle East.

You don't like other people who use a religion as a cover for their actions? Really? I mean really...

Rinualdo
02-04-2011, 12:28 PM

Meh, just like when Saddam launched scuds at Tel Aviv. I understand politically why they didn't retaliate, but not necessarily a decision I agree with.

Probably why I'm not a diplomat.

Break::Break

I like this story (http://makkah.wordpress.com/2011/02/02/christians-protecting-muslims-in-egypt-during-prayers/) about how Christians protect muslims from the protestors in the religion of peace.

Androidpk
02-04-2011, 12:43 PM

You have a slight point there. Unfortunately the world runs on fossil fuels and up until lately R&D into other alternative energy sources has been severely lacking. The abundant amount of oil in that region is both a blessing and a curse.

Latrinsorm
02-04-2011, 12:44 PM
Meh, just like when Saddam launched scuds at Tel Aviv. I understand politically why they didn't retaliate, but not necessarily a decision I agree with.

Probably why I'm not a diplomat.

Break::Break

I like this story (http://makkah.wordpress.com/2011/02/02/christians-protecting-muslims-in-egypt-during-prayers/) about how Christians protect muslims from the protestors in the religion of peace.Certain Christians and certain Muslims have had each others' backs throughout this episode. This could suggest that those claiming a religious motivation for their violence are doing so erroneously.

Also, I didn't know Rhett had a wordpress account.

g++
02-04-2011, 12:48 PM

Israeli civilians were getting shelled constantly as well. Having a superior army and the ability to take huge swathes of land doesnt mean much when your supermarket keeps exploding.

Warriorbird
02-04-2011, 03:39 PM

Like they're really going to be liberal with women if the terrorist fucks co-opt this.

~Rocktar~
02-04-2011, 08:16 PM

^^ This.

Michaelous
02-04-2011, 08:36 PM
I agree. Then after they declare war on Israel and get their asses kicked again, I say Israel should keep whatever land they take over.

what the hell you talkin about? they declare war on israel, and its bye bye israel. egypt was the only power house in the middleeast made so by the u.s. in order to keep the peace with israel. If egypt declares war on israel theres no way israel will survive for now palestine on one end and egypt on the other. not to mention the overwhelming support by the rest of the middleast to dominate, and if the u.s. decides to step in, your talking about another world war to say the least.

~Rocktar~
02-04-2011, 09:08 PM
what the hell you talkin about? they declare war on israel, and its bye bye israel. egypt was the only power house in the middleeast made so by the u.s. in order to keep the peace with israel. If egypt declares war on israel theres no way israel will survive for now palestine on one end and egypt on the other. not to mention the overwhelming support by the rest of the middleast to dominate, and if the u.s. decides to step in, your talking about another world war to say the least.

You really have no clue what you are talking about militarily. Go read up on the various wars where people have invaded Israel. Now consider this, they have their own tanks, made at home, their own rifles, body armor and explosives. They have the most modern air force in the region and the support ability to keep it flying for a long time with parts and supplies on hand. IN addition, if crap happens, Palastine will be eviscerated in hours or less without regard for civilian casualties because it will be a war. They have no tanks, no planes and no support for them.

Atlanteax
02-04-2011, 09:09 PM

Insert "You Are Dumb ... You Are *SO* Dumb" GIF

Michaelous
02-04-2011, 09:58 PM
You really have no clue what you are talking about militarily. Go read up on the various wars where people have invaded Israel. Now consider this, they have their own tanks, made at home, their own rifles, body armor and explosives. They have the most modern air force in the region and the support ability to keep it flying for a long time with parts and supplies on hand. IN addition, if crap happens, Palastine will be eviscerated in hours or less without regard for civilian casualties because it will be a war. They have no tanks, no planes and no support for them.

um hey iran pass the nuke over here real quick! bye bye israel.

Warriorbird
02-04-2011, 10:02 PM

Stop making me see Rocktar as part of a spectrum that isn't the end of a spectrum.

Parkbandit
02-04-2011, 10:16 PM

That's exactly what Egypt thought.. before they got their asses kicked in the SIX DAY WAR.

~Rocktar~
02-04-2011, 10:27 PM

Uh huh. Israel has their own nukes and more of them, as well as the ability to deliver them too. Iran has a nuke plant they can't make work worth spit because of the most sophisticated piece of virus software known to man.

Androidpk
02-04-2011, 10:31 PM
Palestinians have uranium depleted throwing rocks. Those Merkava Mark IVs have no chance. GAME OVER ISRAEL.

IorakeWarhammer
02-05-2011, 07:23 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LmikSljKjYc

these people are charged with positive energy.. Egypt is revitalized..

~Rocktar~
02-05-2011, 09:14 PM
Have you booked a flight yet?

Keller
02-05-2011, 09:52 PM
Have you booked a flight yet?

I DO NOT WANT TO AGREE WITH ROCKTAR EVER AGAIN.

fuck

Rinualdo
02-05-2011, 10:42 PM
I DO NOT WANT TO AGREE WITH ROCKTAR EVER AGAIN.

fuck

Bleach in your eyes. Now.

ClydeR
02-06-2011, 06:26 PM
One of the Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse was caught on tape in the Egypt protests.

A mysterious, pale green figure seen in televised news coverage of the Egyptian riots has prompted some viewers to ask, "Could this be the Fourth Horseman of the Apocalypse?"

The footage, provided by Euronews and subsequently seen on MSNBC, CNN and uploaded over a dozen times to the popular video sharing site YouTube, captures the fiery, violent protests in Cairo this past week … and something else.

More... (http://www.wnd.com/index.php?fa=PAGE.view&pageId=260049)

~Rocktar~
02-06-2011, 08:36 PM
Stupid prisming reflection on the camera lens. It moves exactly as other light reflections move that are clearly identifiable as reflected street lights, all in unison as the camera moves across the crowd.

Besides, aren't the horsemen supposed to ride fiery steeds, not stupid green reflections?

PS: IW, do you need us to take up a collection for your ticket? One way only though since the economy is down.

Warriorbird
02-06-2011, 09:18 PM
Stupid prisming reflection on the camera lens. It moves exactly as other light reflections move that are clearly identifiable as reflected street lights, all in unison as the camera moves across the crowd.

Besides, aren't the horsemen supposed to ride fiery steeds, not stupid green reflections?

PS: IW, do you need us to take up a collection for your ticket? One way only though since the economy is down.

I'm sure his Muslim brothers would welcome him with open arms and then promptly hold him for ransom.

~Rocktar~
02-06-2011, 09:47 PM
I'm sure his Muslim brothers would welcome him with open arms and then promptly hold him for ransom.

You may be right. How much do you think it would cost us to have them keep him?

Warriorbird
02-06-2011, 10:20 PM
You may be right. How much do you think it would cost us to have them keep him?

I think if we band together we could probably afford it, but then again, the price might go up after a few weeks.

IorakeWarhammer
02-07-2011, 07:32 AM
I can't go until my DHS contract runs out in 2013

Rinualdo
02-07-2011, 08:51 AM
I can't go until my DHS contract runs out in 2013

DHS > Allah and fighting infidels.

True story.

IorakeWarhammer
02-07-2011, 09:17 AM
I was kidding retard..

Also only Allah judges if one is a real believer or not.

infidels eh?

thats why Egyptian Christians and Muslims are working together hand in hand.. did you see the pictures of the Christians forming a circle around Muslims praying in Tahreer square?

you see, this huge overblown propaganda of some clash of civilizations is actually just a ridiculous Western invention designed to create war and pit people against each other. the actual amount of conflict between Muslims and Christians is actually quite low, even considering recent problems the Egyptian Copts have had

but it's okay, you can continue being brainwashed and deluded. just remember "love thy neighbor as thyself"

Rinualdo
02-07-2011, 10:09 AM
Overblown propaganda (http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1354246/One-legged-Afghan-Red-Cross-worker-hanged-converting-Christianity.html) against Islam sucks.

IorakeWarhammer
02-07-2011, 10:33 AM
wow one person in intensely lawless and tribal afghanistan, a place torn with years of invasion from westerners where moderate muslims have often been targeted due to their pacificist views..

OMG!! WORLD ENDING!!

still very regrettable. here's an example of how it SHOULD be:

AP says that Father Ihab al-Kharat gave a sermon on Sunday in which he said, “In the name of Jesus and Muhammad we unify our ranks … We will keep protesting until the fall of the tyranny.”

http://www.juancole.com/

One thing you'll never see any of these anti-Islam radicals post:

Michael Mounir said after the prayers that the Egyptian regime has persecuted everyone, Muslim and Copt alike, which was proved by the fact that during the past 12 days, while the police and security forces had removed themselves from the scene, there had been no attacks on churches. Rather, Muslim youth had undertaken to guard them. In the past, he said, despite the presence of security forces, churches and Copts had suffered massacres, the most recent having been on New Year’s day.

ClydeR
02-07-2011, 10:48 AM
Uh huh. Israel has their own nukes and more of them, as well as the ability to deliver them too.

What makes you think that? Israel has repeatedly said that it "will not be the first to introduce nuclear weapons into the Middle East." No American president has ever challenged Israel's statement that it has no nuclear weapons, demanded that Israel submit to weapons inspection, or requested that Israel join any nuclear treaty.

IorakeWarhammer
02-07-2011, 11:13 AM
I love ClydeR

also:

good egyptian movie about a great piece of Islamic history around 1250 AD
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ri9kUzz1RQo

~Rocktar~
02-07-2011, 10:39 PM
What makes you think that? Israel has repeatedly said that it "will not be the first to introduce nuclear weapons into the Middle East." No American president has ever challenged Israel's statement that it has no nuclear weapons, demanded that Israel submit to weapons inspection, or requested that Israel join any nuclear treaty.

What makes you think they don't. Most of the world had no clue that Pakistan was a nuclear power until they lit off 5 devices in a week. India did the same something like 1-2 weeks later. If Pakistan can cover it up and do so on their limited budget, I am pretty sure it isn't exactly a huge challenge for Israel. In addition, the very fact that no one has called them on it speaks volumes as well.

Keller
02-08-2011, 08:13 AM
What makes you think they don't. Most of the world had no clue that Pakistan was a nuclear power until they lit off 5 devices in a week. India did the same something like 1-2 weeks later. If Pakistan can cover it up and do so on their limited budget, I am pretty sure it isn't exactly a huge challenge for Israel. In addition, the very fact that no one has called them on it speaks volumes as well.

You make me happy. Thanks for being you.

Cephalopod
02-08-2011, 10:09 AM
You know, I was just reflecting that it's been a long time since I've been called a liberal mushhead. Where are the old Rocktar and FK? The ones that cared?

Parkbandit
02-11-2011, 11:52 AM
CAIRO – Egypt's Hosni Mubarak resigned as president and handed control to the military on Friday after 29 years in power, bowing to a historic 18-day wave of pro-democracy demonstrations by hundreds of thousands. "The people ousted the president," chanted a crowd of tens of thousands outside his presidential palace in Cairo.

Several hundred thousand protesters massed in Cairo's central Tahrir Square exploded into joy, cheering and waving Egyptian flags. Fireworks, car horns and celebratory shots in the air were heard around the city of 18 million in joy after Vice President Omar Suleiman made the announcement on national TV just after nightfall.

Mubarak had sought to cling to power, handing some of his authorities to Suleiman while keeping his title. But an explosion of protests Friday rejecting the move appeared to have pushed the military into forcing him out completely. Hundreds of thousands marched throughout the day in cities across the country as soliders stood by, besieging his palace in Cairo and Alexandria and the state TV building. A governor of a southern province was forced to flee to safety in the face of protests there.

It was the biggest day of protests yet in the upheaval that began Jan. 25, growing from youth activists working on the Internet into a mass movement that tapped into widespread discontent with Mubarak's authoritarian lock on power, corruption, economic woes and widespread disparities between rich and poor.

"In these grave circumstances that the country is passing through, President Hosni Mubarak has decided to leave his position as president of the republic," a grim-looking Suleiman said. "He has mandated the Armed Forces Supreme Council to run the state. God is our protector and succor."

Nobel Peace laureate Mohammed ElBaradei, whose young suporters were among the organizers of the protest movement, told The Associated Press, "This is the greatest day of my life."

"The country has been liberated after decades of repression," he said adding that he expects a "beautiful" transition of power.

Outside Mubarak's Oruba Palace in northern Cairo, women on balconies ululated with the joyous tongue-trilling used to mark weddings and births.

"Finally we are free," said Safwan Abo Stat, a 60-year-old in the crowd of protesters at the palace. "From now on anyone who is going to rule will know that these people are great."

Another, Mohammed el-Masry, weeping with joy, said he had spent the past two weeks in Tahrir before marching to the palace Friday. He was now headed back to the square to join his ecstatic colleagues. "We made it," he gasped.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/ml_egypt;_ylt=AgNuTONlIbdd4ex7Jb0knv2s0NUE;_ylu=X3 oDMTM4MHRhZGNsBGFzc2V0A2FwLzIwMTEwMjExL21sX2VneXB0 BGNjb2RlA21vc3Rwb3B1bGFyBGNwb3MDMQRwb3MDMgRwdANob2 1lX2Nva2UEc2VjA3luX3RvcF9zdG9yeQRzbGsDbXViYXJha3Jl c2ln

Hopefully, everything turns out ok there... I have my doubts though.

This protest seemed far too organized to just be "the people"... time will tell.

TheEschaton
02-11-2011, 02:01 PM
Are revolutions really going to be televised now? That kind of makes it not a revolution, but an entertaining spectacle.

EasternBrand
02-11-2011, 02:08 PM
Are revolutions really going to be televised now? That kind of makes it not a revolution, but an entertaining spectacle.

"The Revolution will NOT be broadcast in hi-def 3D."

Cephalopod
02-11-2011, 03:52 PM
http://img.slate.com/media/2/110211_LC_mubarakShirtless.jpg

Fallen
02-11-2011, 04:39 PM
Yay Military Junta? Any word on whether they plan to hold elections?

Latrinsorm
02-11-2011, 04:44 PM
More shocking prediction if made a month ago: Mubarak abruptly resigning or Jerry Sloan?

Parkbandit
02-11-2011, 04:52 PM
And hey, guess what.... today is the 32nd anniversary of the Islamic Revolution in Iran.

http://seafieldapartments.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/01/thumbs-up.jpg

nub
02-11-2011, 05:38 PM

So people should ban cell phones and cameras from seeing these revolutions? So because we are advancing techonologically, they can't be called revolutions anymore? Ok...

Michaelous
02-11-2011, 06:33 PM
Nobel Peace laureate Mohammed ElBaradei, whose young suporters were among the organizers of the protest movement, told The Associated Press, "This is the greatest day of my life."

P.S. The muslum brotherhood are heavy supporters of elbaradei, and vice versa. If he takes over which is very likey, its bye bye israel hello world war.

Michaelous
02-11-2011, 06:36 PM

P.S. The muslum brotherhood are heavy supporters of elbaradei, and vice versa. If he takes over which is very likey, its bye bye israel hello world war.

Androidpk
02-11-2011, 06:36 PM

This is the funniest thing I've read all day.

~Rocktar~
02-11-2011, 10:36 PM

Are you still clinging to that misguided notion that any 3-5 other Middle East nations added up can be a significant threat to Israel even without our support?

4a6c1
02-11-2011, 10:36 PM
There was a lady who called into NPR news today from gridlock traffic inside Cairo. She was trying to get to the square to celebrate with everyone else. She sounded British and said she left her job and responsibilities to come and be a part of the revolution in the country of her birth. Then they were talking about one guy who dragged his wife and small children into the square despite the danger because he 'wanted his family to remember this day'. He was yelling into the microphone in some ancient language. God only knows, he was probably actually yelling about the turnip shortage. Next they were talking about how Egypt has always been under some kind of oppression for thousands of years, despite being such an old nation with one of the richest histories in the world and that what had happened today was a first. Then the commentator herself sounded as if she was going to cry. At that point I just stopped what I was doing and went off into la la land and realized that I was going to be really really REALLY angry if this wonderful success is taken from these people by some militaristic opportunist. The military better not let these people down. Also I wish Daniel would show up and tell us what he thinks.

Rinualdo
02-11-2011, 11:44 PM

Nothing like a nobel laureate winner of the Peace Prize to start a world war.
Also, didn't the Brotherhood state they weren't going to field a candidate?

TheEschaton
02-12-2011, 12:42 AM
So people should ban cell phones and cameras from seeing these revolutions? So because we are advancing techonologically, they can't be called revolutions anymore? Ok...

Nah, I'm just annoyed by my FB feeds being clogged with this bullshit from privileged yuppies who wouldn't ever do more than type 140 characters for a revolution, yet embrace it as if they themselves deposed Mubarak.

Judging from the general demeanor of your posts, I'd imagine you're one of those douchebags.

Androidpk
02-12-2011, 12:47 AM
What would you rather have.. feigned interest or indifference?

4a6c1
02-12-2011, 12:55 AM
Also only Allah judges if one is a real believer or not.

Ok. I have to know. For you. WHAT IS THE DIFFERENCE between Allah and God and Yahweh. (Silly menfolk.) This is how I feel. You have things in common. You all share Moses and Solomon and obsess over female modesty and dress in funny clothes and wear crap on your head for various multi-paragraph, thousand year old reasons. Why did YOU choose Allah.

Michaelous
02-12-2011, 02:05 AM
a)
the god of the koran, implies being judged by one another. i.e. if someone steals cut his hand off, if someone looks at your wife, pluck his eye out, if someone is a non beliver go ahead and kill him basically. that is the common muslum allah. This reduces the integrity of the faith in my opinion. why would a god want us to judge each other if he is supposedly going to judge us all in the end?

b)
the god of the bible however implies being judged by only him. i.e. "vengence is mine", "how can you see the plank in your neighbor's eye, when you have a plank in your own eye?." "if someone slaps you turn the other cheek." That is the allah of christians. allah just means god. however if you belive a or b makes that god completely diffrent.

so choose wisely

IorakeWarhammer
02-12-2011, 05:52 AM
step 1: find dictatorship where dictator is about to expire

step 2: stoke revolution in the country

step 3: use revolution to encourage country you want to invade (Iran) to have a revolution. hell, they need it anyway.

step 4: make sure you infilitrate the new leadership of both countries

step 5: profit?

Parkbandit
02-12-2011, 10:13 AM
Nothing like a nobel laureate winner of the Peace Prize to start a world war.
Also, didn't the Brotherhood state they weren't going to field a candidate?

I wouldn't put much weight into who receives a Nobel prize. A stronger benchmark could be if they placed in their local Punt Pass and Kick Competition.

Warriorbird
02-12-2011, 10:35 AM
Dick Cheney didn't win the Nobel Peace Prize and they gave it to Obama! Obama's a Democrat! Hate it forever!

Fixed.

Daniel
02-12-2011, 11:06 AM
There was a lady who called into NPR news today from gridlock traffic inside Cairo. She was trying to get to the square to celebrate with everyone else. She sounded British and said she left her job and responsibilities to come and be a part of the revolution in the country of her birth. Then they were talking about one guy who dragged his wife and small children into the square despite the danger because he 'wanted his family to remember this day'. He was yelling into the microphone in some ancient language. God only knows, he was probably actually yelling about the turnip shortage. Next they were talking about how Egypt has always been under some kind of oppression for thousands of years, despite being such an old nation with one of the richest histories in the world and that what had happened today was a first. Then the commentator herself sounded as if she was going to cry. At that point I just stopped what I was doing and went off into la la land and realized that I was going to be really really REALLY angry if this wonderful success is taken from these people by some militaristic opportunist. The military better not let these people down. Also I wish Daniel would show up and tell us what he thinks.

Interesting that this would be the first full post I would read while curiousity drove me back to the site. I've been away because I've been a bit busy fighting for democracy for another Muslim country.

I used to take Arabic classes right off Tahrir square, in front of the KFC where the Christians were protecting the Muslims praying (As a black, you should know that all geo-spatial references are made by the proximity to an establishment of fired chicken). So, to say the least, it's been utterly fascinating to see this all behold.

I think you're right to be afraid that some military opportunist may take it upon himself to enrich himself, but I think there are a few things to consider.

First, freedom is a dicey proposition. As you know, Freedom is not free. It takes a lot of work and ultimately it takes a lot of risk. If it was so simple, it would be more ubiquitous than it is. To suggest that we should be against this revolution because of what may result is, frankly, cowardly and against everything we stand for as Americans.

Second, there are few alternatives, if any, that make more sense than the military to steward the process. What other entity is going to keep things together until constitutional reforms are made and a government is put into place? It should be noted that the Military has shown nothing but restraint and pragmatism throughout this entire deal. Also, any notion that we, as Americans or as westerners know better how to do this than Egyptians is ignorance and folly.

I probably won't read this entire thread. Was there anything else?

Parkbandit
02-12-2011, 11:11 AM
Fixed.

It's funny how you thought I was talking about Obama. First name that came to mind was Yasser Arafat though.. but Obama is another prime example of what that award is all about.

It's not an award, it's an agenda driver.

~Rocktar~
02-12-2011, 09:04 PM
step 1: find dictatorship where dictator is about to expire

step 2: stoke revolution in the country

step 3: use revolution to encourage country you want to invade (Iran) to have a revolution. hell, they need it anyway.

step 4: make sure you infilitrate the new leadership of both countries

step 5: profit?

I thought the internet was blocked in Egypt, aren't you there fighting to support your Muslim brothers in the glorious people's revolution? If not, why not?

4a6c1
02-13-2011, 01:25 AM
Interesting that this would be the first full post I would read while curiousity drove me back to the site. I've been away because I've been a bit busy fighting for democracy for another Muslim country.

I used to take Arabic classes right off Tahrir square, in front of the KFC where the Christians were protecting the Muslims praying (As a black, you should know that all geo-spatial references are made by the proximity to an establishment of fired chicken). So, to say the least, it's been utterly fascinating to see this all behold.

I think you're right to be afraid that some military opportunist may take it upon himself to enrich himself, but I think there are a few things to consider.

First, freedom is a dicey proposition. As you know, Freedom is not free. It takes a lot of work and ultimately it takes a lot of risk. If it was so simple, it would be more ubiquitous than it is. To suggest that we should be against this revolution because of what may result is, frankly, cowardly and against everything we stand for as Americans.

Second, there are few alternatives, if any, that make more sense than the military to steward the process. What other entity is going to keep things together until constitutional reforms are made and a government is put into place? It should be noted that the Military has shown nothing but restraint and pragmatism throughout this entire deal. Also, any notion that we, as Americans or as westerners know better how to do this than Egyptians is ignorance and folly.

I probably won't read this entire thread. Was there anything else?

I like masks because they are super fun so naturally the first thing I noticed on the Teevee during the revolution was all those ladies wearing black cloth masks. How avant-garde! I was in Persian Lady Gaga Heaven! (As a woman, you should know that all geo-spatial references are made by the proximity to a Lady Gaga.)

Gaga aside, I agree. Especially with "Also, any notion that we, as Americans or as westerners know better how to do this than Egyptians is ignorance and folly."

Since the beginning I have been reluctant to even form an opinion. I refused to allow myself to form conclusive thoughts on the subject. I know my percetion is colored to my cultural seclusion and limited resources. And how could it not be? Why should it not be? Despite the mental discipline I'm still finding myself sending off silent prayers every day for it to stay peaceful. I want to see a Martin Luther King in Egypt. I want Ghandi. I wanted to see that heraldic power granted only to those willing to argue consistently without arms or violence. I wanted critical thought free of religious theory and the formultion of governing bodies built upon the equal and priceless value of every living breathing soul. How is that wrong? I wont apologize for having American expectations. Egyptians deserve all of these things and yeah, I think they can do it themselves.

IorakeWarhammer
02-13-2011, 01:43 AM
I thought the internet was blocked in Egypt, aren't you there fighting to support your Muslim brothers in the glorious people's revolution? If not, why not?

why aren't you over in Iraq looking for WMDs?

shouldn't you be off on some obscure message board writing detailed guides to cyber uber lactating hynpo-bondage?

4a6c1
02-13-2011, 01:47 AM
shouldn't you be off on some obscure message board writing detailed guides to cyber uber lactating hynpo-bondage?

OHHHH. pwned by the rupaul fairy!

~Rocktar~
02-13-2011, 02:17 AM
why aren't you over in Iraq looking for WMDs?

Because I am not ranting about how my brothers in spirit are throwing off the shackles of oppression in a just barely above 3rd world country while living a bourgeois middle class existence funded by my parents or the government. All the while hiding in the basement, writhing in pre-teen EMO angst pretending to be the latest hip victim class/religion to give my internet troll persona some shred of imagined validity.

Why, do you need instruction? Give it a rest dude, old troll is old.

Back
02-13-2011, 02:49 AM
Bloodless revolution! People win!

Michaelous
02-13-2011, 11:48 PM
today mention "we the people" to a politician in egypt, and they salute.

mention "we the people" to a politician in america and they snicker and smirk.

NocturnalRob
02-15-2011, 06:23 PM
Just heard about Lara Logan. Anytime anyone refers to this protest as "non-violent," they should think about what happened to her.

Atlanteax
02-15-2011, 11:47 PM
Just heard about Lara Logan. Anytime anyone refers to this protest as "non-violent," they should think about what happened to her.

I was just about to post "You Gonna Get Raped (in Egypt)"

http://www.tvsquad.com/2011/02/15/lara-logan/?ncid=webmail

Definitely was disappointing to read...

Androidpk
02-16-2011, 12:21 AM
Sexually assaulted is pretty vague.

Cephalopod
02-16-2011, 12:23 AM

"brutal and sustained sexual assault" is vague but still pretty telling, I think.

Either way, disappointing. Hope she's alright.

Androidpk
02-16-2011, 12:39 AM
What if it was a verbal assault?

diethx
02-16-2011, 12:48 AM
What kind of sexual assault is verbal?

It also said she was beaten.

Androidpk
02-16-2011, 12:53 AM
What kind of sexual assault is verbal?

I would respond but i'm too busy throwing hotdogs down your hallway..or something..

diethx
02-16-2011, 12:54 AM
I would respond but i'm too busy throwing hotdogs down your hallway..or something..

She posts on the PC?

Androidpk
02-16-2011, 01:05 AM
She posts on the PC?

I think one of us is confused here.

diethx
02-16-2011, 01:07 AM
I think one of us is confused here.

I thought you were trying to tell me what verbal sexual assault would sound like. But to me it just sounds like another day on the PC. :/

NocturnalRob
02-16-2011, 06:29 AM
It was rape. There are actually a few articles out about why mainstream media chose not to use the word "rape."

Here: http://blogs.laweekly.com/informer/2011/02/lara_logan_raped_egypt_reporte.php

Androidpk
02-16-2011, 09:24 AM
There are also a few articles out there saying it wasn't rape.

NocturnalRob
02-16-2011, 09:39 AM
But this is from a LA Weekly blog!!

Latrinsorm
02-16-2011, 01:40 PM
"brutal and sustained sexual assault" is vague but still pretty telling, I think.

Either way, disappointing. Hope she's alright.We already know (or are reasonably sure that) the regime tried to discredit the protesters by destroying antiquities, is it that much of a stretch for them to recognize that nobody gives a shit about antiquities and try a more direct approach?

Parkbandit
02-16-2011, 01:47 PM
After joking about the sexual assault* of CBS chief foreign correspondent Lara Logan while she was reporting from Egypt, New York University fellow Nir Rosen has resigned, reports the National Review.
“Nir Rosen is always provocative, but he crossed the line yesterday with his comments about Lara Logan,” wrote Karen J. Greenberg, executive director at NYU’s Center on Law and Security. “I am deeply distressed by what he wrote about Ms. Logan and strongly denounce his comments. They were cruel and insensitive and completely unacceptable.”
Greenberg said Rosen misunderstood the severity of Logan’s attack and that he’s filed his resignation.
“Mr. Rosen tells me that he misunderstood the severity of the attack on her in Cairo. He has apologized, withdrawn his remarks, and submitted his resignation as a fellow, which I have accepted,” Greenberg wrote. “However, this in no way compensates for the harm his comments have inflicted. We are all horrified by what happened to Ms. Logan, and our thoughts are with her during this difficult time.”
Rosen received ample backlash for his response to the news that Logan had been sexually assaulted and beaten while she was reporting on Egypt’s unrest. As Egypt celebrated former president Hosni Mubarak’s resignation, Logan was separated from the CBS team and assaulted by a gang of men.
“ah fuck it, i apologize for being insensitive, its always wrong, thats obvious, but i’m rolling my eyes at all the attention she will get,” Rosen tweeted Tuesday.
Rosen also tweeted, “jesus christ, at a moment when she is going to become a martyr and glorified we should at least remember her role as a major war monger.”
“look, she was probably groped like thousands of other women, which is still wrong, but if it was worse than i’m sorry,” Rosen tweeted, adding, “my wife didnt [sic] dedicate her career to promoting america’s wars.”
Rosen published several tweets of apology in the day leading up to his resignation.
“i apologize and take it back. joking with friends got out of line when i didnt want to back down. forgot twitter is not exactly private,” Rosen tweeted Tuesday.
Rosen says he would like to take back his statements, as he has brought shame to himself and his family. He even urged new Twitter followers to stop following his tweets, saying he is “done tweeting.”
“I know that in a matter of seconds with a thoughtless joke, I brought shame upon myself and my family and added insult to Ms. Logan’s injury,” Rosen tweeted Wednesday.
* Correction: An earlier version of this article included the term “rape.” A CBS source has since told the Wall Street Journal that it was “not a rape.”

http://dailycaller.com/2011/02/16/nir-rosen-submits-resignation-nyu-accepts/

Parkbandit
02-16-2011, 01:49 PM
Sorry for the formatting... But seriously, what a complete douche.

Michaelous
02-16-2011, 06:57 PM
theres been hundreds of rapes since the beginning of the protests let alone the hundreds of rapes that go on in egypt on a daily basis. its a very common thing, you just never hear about them because if the women come out and accuse someone of raping them they are in turn killed for the shame that they put on thier families. yea twisted logic right? its reality.

4a6c1
02-17-2011, 02:13 PM
That's what she gets for showing her hair in public.

IorakeWarhammer
02-17-2011, 03:26 PM
egypt is fairly liberal.. i don't think its some demonic Muslim bent on raping anyone who doesnt follow Shariah, i think its a lack of police presence, coupled with a busy populace protesting, so domestic violence and other crimes against women are probably falling through the cracks. but i'll tell you, if some neighborhood watch group over there caught someone doing that, they'd probably whoop their ass if not kill them, and probably detain them with a citizens arrest.

IorakeWarhammer
02-17-2011, 03:29 PM
Because I am not ranting about how my brothers in spirit are throwing off the shackles of oppression in a just barely above 3rd world country while living a bourgeois middle class existence funded by my parents or the government. All the while hiding in the basement, writhing in pre-teen EMO angst pretending to be the latest hip victim class/religion to give my internet troll persona some shred of imagined validity.

Why, do you need instruction? Give it a rest dude, old troll is old.

nice! i'm actually 26, a teacher, and married. i don't take any money from the government. in fact, i pay them well through my taxes. i was just kidding around with you. eek!

Parkbandit
02-22-2011, 07:49 AM
DOHA (AFP) – Influential Muslim cleric Yusuf al-Qaradawi issued a fatwa on Monday that any Libyan soldier who can shoot dead embattled leader Moamer Kadhafi should do so "to rid Libya of him."

"Whoever in the Libyan army is able to shoot a bullet at Mr Kadhafi should do so," Qaradawi, an Egyptian-born cleric who is usually based in Qatar, told Al-Jazeera television.

He also told Libyan soldiers "not to obey orders to strike at your own people," and urged Libyan ambassadors around the world to dissociate themselves from Kadhafi's regime.

Famous in the Middle East for his at times controversial fatwas, or religious edicts, the octogenarian Qaradawi has celebrity status in the Arab world thanks to his religious broadcasts on Al-Jazeera.

He has in the past defended "violence carried out by certain Muslims."

The West accuses the cleric of supporting "terrorism" because he sanctioned Palestinian suicide attacks in Israel. Britain and the United States have refused to grant him entry visas.

The cleric, spiritual leader of Egypt's Muslim Brotherhood and longtime resident of Qatar, heads the International Union for Muslim Scholars.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/afp/20110221/wl_mideast_afp/libyapoliticsunrestfatwa_20110221212046

Thankfully, the Muslim Brotherhood is a secular organization who has eschewed violence......

Looks like if the Egyptian Army hands back the power they currently have, the Muslim Brotherhood will take a lion's share of it. Once this happens, you can bet one of the first things on their agenda is the absolution of the peace agreement with Israel.

Androidpk
02-22-2011, 08:23 AM
Yusuf has never held any official position with the Muslim Brotherhood.

Parkbandit
02-22-2011, 08:28 AM
Yusuf has never held any official position with the Muslim Brotherhood.

It's clear we have nothing to worry about then.

WHEW!

I'm sure that if/when the Muslim Brotherhood takes over the majority of the seats in the new government of Egypt, Israel can finally breathe a sigh of relief.

Back
02-22-2011, 12:37 PM

WHEW!

I'm sure that if/when the Muslim Brotherhood takes over the majority of the seats in the new government of Egypt, Israel can finally breathe a sigh of relief.

Like when Palestine held elections and Hamas swept into power?

This may sound insensitive but tough shit. Its democracy so you have to deal with it. In fact, it may just be a step closer to peace with the people having actual representation.

Keller
02-22-2011, 01:26 PM
Sarah Palin could learn a thing or two from this Yusef fellow about direct and clear communication. That's how it's done, son.

IorakeWarhammer
02-22-2011, 01:29 PM

WHEW!

Israel wants to radicalize North Africa so they have an excuse for more war mongering

~Rocktar~
02-22-2011, 01:37 PM
Israel wants to radicalize North Africa so they have an excuse for more war mongering

As if Israel needed any more "excuse". I love how they are war mongering over there, you know, offer the Palestinians everything they wanted, withdraw troops and settlements and support nation building and self determination. All to have Hammas bring in rockets to continue firing at Israeli cities and to continue violence on the streets. They won, got all they asked for and more and it still isn't enough to stop the blood. Someone once told me there was a saying over there:

"There will be peace in Israel when Palestinian mothers love their children more than they hate Israel."

I don't know, sure seems to me that all these people get what they want in the self determination and so on bracket and yet still set out to make war with their neighbors. I am pretty sure that even if Israel didn't exist they would STILL be fighting among themselves and their neighbors even if simply along traditional, historical blood feud lines.

Just wait, if they are dumb, they will start something with Israel and with or without our help, Israel will end it pretty damn quick. And should one of those fucknuggets pop off a nuke, then I am pretty sure that in a very short period of time, Israel would wipe every one of them all off the map. And I don't mean just take them over, I mean wipe out every living person.

WRoss
02-22-2011, 01:39 PM
Sarah Palin could learn a thing or two from this Yusef fellow about direct and clear communication. That's how it's done, son.

Post of the day.

Parkbandit
02-22-2011, 01:46 PM
Like when Palestine held elections and Hamas swept into power?

This may sound insensitive but tough shit. Its democracy so you have to deal with it. In fact, it may just be a step closer to peace with the people having actual representation.

I actually don't have a problem with anything you posted... but make no mistake, Hamas or the Muslim Brotherhood will not bring us a step closer to peace... just the opposite.

Back
02-22-2011, 01:48 PM
As if Israel needed any more "excuse". I love how they are war mongering over there, you know, offer the Palestinians everything they wanted, withdraw troops and settlements and support nation building and self determination. All to have Hammas bring in rockets to continue firing at Israeli cities and to continue violence on the streets. They won, got all they asked for and more and it still isn't enough to stop the blood. Someone once told me there was a saying over there:

"There will be peace in Israel when Palestinian mothers love their children more than they hate Israel."

I don't know, sure seems to me that all these people get what they want in the self determination and so on bracket and yet still set out to make war with their neighbors. I am pretty sure that even if Israel didn't exist they would STILL be fighting among themselves and their neighbors even if simply along traditional, historical blood feud lines.

Just wait, if they are dumb, they will start something with Israel and with or without our help, Israel will end it pretty damn quick. And should one of those fucknuggets pop off a nuke, then I am pretty sure that in a very short period of time, Israel would wipe every one of them all off the map. And I don't mean just take them over, I mean wipe out every living person.

I agree with most of this. Its been 3 years so the Palestinian people need to ask themselves if life is better now or before or if it could be better the next time they vote. I see that as a step in the best direction rather than the alternative.

IorakeWarhammer
02-22-2011, 02:33 PM
the smartest thing the Muslims could do is not resist Israel for 6 months, not do anything. not give them any excuses to keep committing war crimes.

Parkbandit
02-22-2011, 02:40 PM
the smartest thing the Muslims could do is not resist Israel for 6 months, not do anything. not give them any excuses to keep committing war crimes.

Why 6 months? Do you somehow think the resulting war would end differently if "your" muslim "brothers" were given more time to prepare?

Back
02-22-2011, 02:43 PM
Rocktard has a point that everyone should clearly see.

If Israel is significantly attacked it will take everything down with it. No one wants that. So, the bargain table looks like Thanksgiving dinner.

~Rocktar~
02-23-2011, 02:22 AM

The smartest thing Muslims could do is grow the fuck up and act like the wise and decent historical figures many hold up as examples of Islam and stop being kidnappers, rapists and murderers. You know, act like responsible citizens and followers of Mohammad instead of petulant children on a rampage. Responsible people protest and over throw governments, take over power and establish new governments, not use the civil unrest as an excuse to rape, murder, pillage and burn. And as resistance leaders, opposition party or whatever, they do things like meet with other governments and so on across negotiation tables and so on.

Want to be welcomed by the nations of the world, then act like one and not a gang of teen aged thugs on a bender.

Androidpk
02-23-2011, 06:31 AM
The smartest thing Muslims could do is grow the fuck up and act like the wise and decent historical figures many hold up as examples of Islam and stop being kidnappers, rapists and murderers. You know, act like responsible citizens and followers of Mohammad instead of petulant children on a rampage. Responsible people protest and over throw governments, take over power and establish new governments, not use the civil unrest as an excuse to rape, murder, pillage and burn. And as resistance leaders, opposition party or whatever, they do things like meet with other governments and so on across negotiation tables and so on.

Want to be welcomed by the nations of the world, then act like one and not a gang of teen aged thugs on a bender.

You could say this about humans in general, don't act like Muslims hold a monopoly over this.

Also, way to over generalize, you really are fucking retarded.

Keller
02-23-2011, 09:19 AM

FTFY

~Rocktar~
02-23-2011, 11:23 AM
You could say this about humans in general, don't act like Muslims hold a monopoly over this.

Where did I say Muslims had a monopoly? I simply applied the principle to the retarded statement at hand.

Also, way to over generalize, you really are fucking retarded.

Way to debate rationally and logically. Even after supporting what I said, you toss out the insult just to make sure that you would not pollute your childish image by agreeing with me. Good going, keep up the good work, D-team needs YOU!

Atlanteax
02-23-2011, 02:23 PM
This concerns Libya, but there is not a bonafide Libya thread...

EU: States, NATO Forces Set Up Blockades Against Libyan Refugees
February 23, 2011 1725 GMT
The EU states of the Mediterranean, including Spain, France and Italy, with the help of NATO forces, have set up sea and air blockades against the infiltration of Libyan refugees, Voice of Israel reported Feb. 23.

ie "stay in your hole and ROT there ... but in the meantime, leave those oil facilities alone, kthxs!"

Latrinsorm
02-23-2011, 02:42 PM
It's staggering that someone would use the word "infiltration" to describe refugees, I'm going to chalk that up to a translator with a grudge. It's not at all surprising that European states would act this way, it's not like it's the first time.

pabstblueribbon
02-23-2011, 02:44 PM
It's staggering that someone would use the word "infiltration" to describe refugees, I'm going to chalk that up to a translator with a grudge. It's not at all surprising that European states would act this way, it's not like it's the first time.

Eh. Get your tin-foil hat ready. But it wouldn't be a huge stretch for a very smart organization to cause unrest in an area causing refugees to flee and planting agents within them so that they get those agents accepted into target countries.

Parkbandit
02-23-2011, 03:20 PM

I'm sure they have enough multicultural difficulties.. they are probably trying to prevent more.

Michaelous
02-23-2011, 06:32 PM
lol the jet pilot was ordered to strike protesters in benghezi libya, but refused and flew to malta to seek political asylum. This is the stuff we hear about, the soldiers on land don't have this option. They are forced to kill thier own people or be killed themselvs.
http://www.channelnewsasia.com/stories/afp_world/view/1112592/1/.html

IorakeWarhammer
03-22-2011, 10:15 AM
http://tarpley.net/2011/02/18/mubarak-toppled-by-cia-because-he-opposed-us-plans-for-war-with-iran/

Parkbandit
05-27-2011, 08:42 AM
CAIRO (Reuters) - Last January, Nazih Moussa Gerges locked up his downtown Cairo law office and joined hundreds of thousands of fellow Egyptians to demand that President Hosni Mubarak step down.
The 33-year-old Christian lawyer was back on the streets this month to press military rulers who took over after Mubarak stepped down to end a spate of sectarian attacks that have killed at least 28 people and left many afraid.
Those who camped out in Tahrir Square side by side with Muslims to call for national renewal now fear their struggle is being hijacked by ultra-conservative Salafist Islamists with no one to stop them.
"We did not risk our lives to bring Mubarak down in order to have him replaced by Salafists," Gerges said. "We want an Egypt that will be an example of democracy and freedom for the whole world."
Sectarian tensions are not new to Egypt, where Christians make up around 10 percent of the population of 80 million. But the frequency and intensity of clashes have increased since Mubarak's overthrow.
Many blame a broader weakening of law and order that began as the protests against Mubarak gathered pace and police deserted the streets. Authorities are trying to rebuild security forces to deal with increased lawlessness following mass jail breakouts.
Egypt's military rulers have vowed to punish those behind sectarian clashes, banned demonstrations outside places of worship and promised to give Christians equal rights.
But Christians say no one has been tried yet for the burning of a church in Helwan, south of Cairo, in March or for violence in the Cairo suburb of Imbaba on May 7 that left 15 people dead. At least 13 died in clashes after the Helwan incident.
The army has said 190 people will face trial over the Imbaba clashes, which began when a group of Salafists demanded to look inside a church where they suspected a female convert to Islam was being held against her will.
IRON FIST?
When Christians gathered to worship in the eastern Cairo district of Ain Shams last week, they said Salafists and other local Muslims blocked access to the church and pelted them with cinder blocks.
The Christians said they had to abandon their attempt after security forces arrested eight of them.
"The General has said he will strike with an iron fist. Where is the iron fist?" said Marcelino Youssef, a spokesman for a Christian youth group that has been leading protests against sectarian attacks. He was referring to Field Marshal Mohamed Hussein Tantawi, who heads Egypt's ruling military council.
For some Egyptians, including Christians, alarm over the recent inter-faith violence may be overdone. They say revolutions are often accompanied by a spike in violence that can carry sectarian undertones.
"If there are events which could lead to clashes every now and then, this may happen," said Milad Hanna, a prominent Christian thinker. "They (Muslims) are normal people, not angels."
Some blame leaders of Egypt's Coptic church for cultivating fear of Muslims, in turn stoking sectarian tension by making the Christian community more defensive.
"The Church has promoted a fear of Muslims, arguing that the Egyptian people lack awareness and that democracy will not work in our context," Muslim political scientist Amr Shobaki wrote in a column in newspaper al-Masry al-Youm on May 14.
DISCRIMINATION
The sectarian clashes have prompted many Christians to vent pent-up grievances at perceived discrimination since the 1970s.
Gerges recalls bitterly the time when he applied to join the prosecutor's office in southern Cairo soon after graduating from Ain Shams University with distinction.
He said he was told by the recruiting official that his qualifications made him the ideal candidate.
"Then he looked at my family name and shook his head."
For Gerges, the message was clear: a Muslim gets priority over a Christian when it comes to government jobs.
Egyptian Christians say discrimination against them starts in school.
"Coptic history has been removed" from textbooks, said Imbaba priest Sarabamon Abdo Rizeq. "How is a Muslim going to love me if he doesn't know anything about my Christianity?"
At a sit-in outside state TV headquarters by the Nile in central Cairo, protesters posted a list of what they called "The Copts' Demands."
They included giving Christians equal access to government jobs, recognizing Egypt's Coptic history by making it part of the school curriculum, and easing restrictions on the construction of churches.
Christians complain that under laws inherited from Ottoman rule, Copts are required to obtain special permits from the head of state to build or repair a church.
"Our demands are actually basic rights," said Malak Maher, 33, one of the protesters. "We want equality."

http://ca.news.yahoo.com/christians-worry-egypt-being-hijacked-islamists-031322380.html

Parkbandit
10-29-2011, 08:31 AM
Thousands of protesters gathered in Cairo's Tahrir Square Friday to press the ruling army to speed up the transfer of power to civilian rule, and an Islamist leader said his followers would stage a sit-in if the army does not respond.

Egypt's army assumed control after an uprising ousted President Hosni Mubarak on February 11, promising to transfer power to an elected civilian government within six months.

But the top generals now say they could remain in power until presidential elections are held at the end of 2012 or early 2013, citing an extended timetable of parliamentary elections and a six-month period to write the new constitution.

Floating in the square were banners accusing the ruling military council's leader, Field Marshal Mohamed Hussein Tantawi, of trying to hold onto power.

"The people demand the fall of the Field Marshal" and "Whether in uniform or in boxers, we do not want army rule" chanted Islamists, mainly Salafists who follow strict Islamic teachings, and ordinary Egyptians.

Sheikh Hazem Abu Ismail, a Salafist leader who said he would run for president, called on his followers to stage a sit-in if the army fails to heed the demands of protesters.

"We refuse the prolonging of army rule," Abu Ismail told cheering protesters over loudspeakers, urging them to remain in Tahrir until the army council issues a statement Friday.

Alluding to the military council's pleas for protests to stop on the grounds that they harm the economy, he said: "What hinders production is that the military council suddenly announced it will remain in power for another two years."

Protesters responded with chants of "We will not go, the council must go."

Elections for parliament's lower house are to be held in three stages, with the first on November 28. Voting for the upper house, also in three stages, will start on January 29.

Protesters also demanded that the military council use a law on treason to bar associates of ousted president Hosni Mubarak from politics and keep them out of the new parliament.

"There are businessmen behind the surge of thugs who turn peaceful protests into violent ones," said Abu Ismail.

The army, initially hailed by Egyptians for siding with the uprising, has come under increasing criticism from politicians, rights activists and youth groups, who accuse it of human rights abuses and clumsy handling of the interim period.

"Nine months have passed since the uprising and we have not seen either an effective government or clear signals that Mubarak's henchman will be out of the new parliament," Salem Mesbah, 35, said.

The Muslim Brotherhood, Egypt's most organized and influential opposition group in Mubarak's era, did not participate in Friday's protest.

http://www.reuters.com/article/2011/10/28/us-egypt-islamists-army-idUSTRE79R4HS20111028

How did those elections go back in September?

Oh right...

Atlanteax
10-29-2011, 01:38 PM
As long as the secular military continues to hold the reins in Egypt, all is good.

Latrinsorm
10-29-2011, 04:00 PM
Thousands of protesters gathered in Cairo's Tahrir Square Friday to press the ruling army to speed up the transfer of power to civilian rule, and an Islamist leader said his followers would stage a sit-in if the army does not respond.Those radical terrorists!!! Religion is obviously the real source of violence here.
Floating in the square were banners accusing the ruling military council's leader, Field Marshal Mohamed Hussein Tantawi, of trying to hold onto power.Ask yourself, dear reader, what other chief executive has the middle name Hussein? Note also that both were born in Africa, or thereabouts. A vote for so-called President Obama is a vote for Pharaonic tyranny.

Atlanteax
08-06-2012, 03:26 PM
Oh geez... who to believe?!?!

Egypt: Muslim Brotherhood Blames Mossad For Sinai Attack
Aug 6, 2012 | 1728 GMT
The Egyptian Muslim Brotherhood on its website Aug. 6 blamed Israeli intelligence agency Mossad for the attack on the Rafah border crossing in Sinai on Aug. 5 that left 16 policemen dead, Reuters reported.

Egypt: Islamist Elements From Gaza Strip Behind Rafah Attack – Military
Aug 6, 2012 | 1754 GMT
Islamist elements from the Gaza Strip infiltrated Egypt via tunnels and are responsible for the Aug. 5 attack on the Rafah border crossing, along with other Islamist groups in the region, according to Egyptian military officials, Egypt.com reported Aug. 6, citing MENA.

(Full) Details on the Incident:

Egypt on Aug. 5 closed the Rafah crossing along the border with Gaza and Israel after masked gunmen attacked a checkpoint south of Rafah, MENA news agency quoted a security source as saying, Xinhua reported. Egyptian President Mohammed Morsi held an urgent meeting with army leaders, the interior minister and the head of the intelligence service to discuss the situation. The Egyptian presidency released a statement saying the attack would not go unpunished and that those responsible would pay heavily. The Israeli military said the attack was part of a plot to abduct an Israeli soldier, and that two vehicles commandeered by the masked gunmen crashed into Israel, where one blew up, AP reported.

MB's domestic pandering aside, likely some radical elements of Hamas or similar were attempting something 'daring' to provoke tensions/conflict between Israel and Egypt.

At this point, considering the Syrian situation, Iran may have been involved to a degree in encouraging this 'attempt'.

Parkbandit
07-03-2013, 05:52 PM
Cairo (CNN) -- Egypt's military deposed the country's first democratically elected president Wednesday night, installing the head of the country's highest court as an interim leader, the country's top general announced.
Gen. Abdel-Fatah El-Sisi said the military was fulfilling its "historic responsibility" to protect the country by ousting Mohamed Morsy (http://www.cnn.com/2012/12/28/world/meast/mohamed-morsy---fast-facts/index.html), the Western-educated Islamist leader elected a year ago. The country's constitution has been suspended, new parliamentary elections will be held and Adly Mansour, the head of the country's Supreme Constitutional Court, will replace Morsy, El-Sisi said.
Mansour will have the power to issue constitutional declarations during the interim period and will "establish a government that is a strong and diverse," the armed forces chief said. He said Morsy "did not achieve the goals of the people" and failed to meet the generals' demands that he share power with his opposition.

http://www.cnn.com/2013/07/03/world/meast/egypt-protests/index.html

Possuem
07-03-2013, 06:25 PM
Egypt is an oil producing country and an important transit point for the world's oil supply. Obama called Mubarak and then made a public statement.

Not to snub your insight, but personally, Obama comment on this is about as weightless as his balls. Egypt...fuck Egypt, and any other country going thru turmoil. U.S. has its interest for politically personal reasons, and doesn't give a flying shit about anyone else. Truth. If its in the interest of the U.S., then the U.S. will put its foot forward. Hell....we've got slave trading, drug wars, and you know what else going on in this country and wtf has the U.S. really done about it. I'll tell you...0. That's "zero".

History of the world has ugly parts during its time. Our/this time is no different. Cleaning house is the norm, and needs to be done...unfortunately. "NO" one/country is exempt from this. Every country's time comes...repeatedly.