PDA

View Full Version : Hypocrisy on Endangered Species

ClydeR
12-27-2010, 11:07 AM
This fight against the guinea worm is a battle former U.S. President Jimmy Carter has waged for more than two decades in some of the poorest countries on earth. It is a battle he's almost won.

In the 1950s the 3-foot-long guinea worm ravaged the bodies of an estimated 50 million people, forcing victims through months of pain while the worm exited through a swollen blister on the leg, making it impossible for them to tend to cows or harvest crops. By 1986, the number dropped to 3.5 million. Last year only 3,190 cases were reported.

Today the worm is even closer to being wiped out. Fewer than 1,700 cases have been found this year in only four countries — Ethiopia, Ghana, Mali and Sudan, where more than 95 percent of the cases are. The worm's near-eradication is thanks in large part to the efforts of Carter and his foundation.

"I'm still determined to outlive the last guinea worm," Carter told The Associated Press in a phone interview. The 86-year-old set that goal in the 1980s, when his center helped eliminate guinea worm from Pakistan and other Asian nations.

More... (http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20101226/ap_on_re_af/af_sudan_carter_s_last_worm)

So when Republicans want to get rid of snail darters and polar bears, the media are all like how horrible Republicans are. But when Democrats set out to eradicate a species, they're heroes? This is hypocrisy pure and simple.

Androidpk
12-27-2010, 11:15 AM
There's a big difference between an animal and a parasite.

Paradii
12-27-2010, 11:44 AM
There are roughly 44 insects currently listed as endangered (out of ~1 million currently named, and probably >10 million in the world). So, the chances of a phylum of life lesser "importance" than arthopoda being listed is, and should be, slim to nill.

Edit: and most of the insects listed were controversial and were basically surrogate species.

LMingrone
12-27-2010, 11:45 AM
I made the mistake of GISing. Don't be like me.

Drew
12-27-2010, 11:47 AM

Yeah the worst part is the "treatment". Wait for it to pop out, wrap around a stick and pull it out in an excruciatingly painful manner.

Paradii
12-27-2010, 12:00 PM
Yeah the worst part is the "treatment". Wait for it to pop out, wrap around a stick and pull it out in an excruciatingly painful manner.

Not as bad as the treatment for what happens when a candirú swims into your urethra. Oh wait, that is the treatment, except it's in your penis. And it has barbs.

LMingrone
12-27-2010, 12:07 PM
Not as bad as the treatment for what happens when a candirú swims into your urethra. Oh wait, that is the treatment, except it's in your penis. And it has barbs.

PUKE. I remember seeing a documentary about them on PBS when I was a kid. My parents had a boat that I was on all summer. I never peed in the ocean or even a pool ever again.

Paradii
12-27-2010, 12:15 PM
PUKE. I remember seeing a documentary about them on PBS when I was a kid. My parents had a boat that I was on all summer. I never peed in the ocean or even a pool ever again.

Unless you were cruising down the amazon, you were probably safe.

4a6c1
12-27-2010, 12:22 PM
All kinds of crazy, "fuckup the human race" parasites come out of African rainforest. Personally, If I wanted to die I would probably go into the Congo and play with bat guano or let a monkey bite me. 10 days incubate and and then I get to be LIQUID.

ClydeR
12-27-2010, 01:00 PM

Certain People have an awfully convenient way of deciding when a species is worthy.

Androidpk
12-27-2010, 01:09 PM
Certain People have an awfully convenient way of deciding when a species is worthy.

Certain people? I think you would be hard pressed to find people that are sympathetic to this parasite.

Paradii
12-27-2010, 01:13 PM
Certain people? I think you would be hard pressed to find people that are sympathetic to this parasite.

The CIA have been introducing parasites into third world counties for over 5 decades in order to keep Africa poor.

That's science.

WRoss
12-27-2010, 01:30 PM
Insects will rule the world one day.

Drew
12-27-2010, 02:16 PM
The CIA have been introducing parasites into third world counties for over 5 decades in order to keep Africa poor.

That's science.

Crack and AIDs in the ghetto too.

Not only is it science, rapper David Banner confirms it in his rap songs: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8zwhn6bVaWI

ViridianAsp
12-27-2010, 02:16 PM
That's science.

IT WORKS, BITCHES!

4a6c1
12-27-2010, 04:46 PM
Clyde did you actually hear a pundit blabbing from this perspective or did you come up with this one on your own. That would make this at least 9000 times more funny.

Stanley Burrell
12-27-2010, 05:03 PM

Frickin' acoelomates are considered animals. What's worse, is you have to bump that shit up to pseudocoelomate before it really is a tangible anthozoan that can damage people. Total and utter sponge-shit.

Paradii
12-27-2010, 05:32 PM
Frickin' acoelomates are considered animals. What's worse, is you have to bump that shit up to pseudocoelomate before it really is a tangible anthozoan that can damage people. Total and utter sponge-shit.

I think he meant chordates instead of animal.

Stanley Burrell
12-27-2010, 05:33 PM
I think he meant chordates instead of animal.

Yeah, it's a damn shame anything without a notocord can even touch us. I mean, that's ridiculous.

Stanley Burrell
12-27-2010, 05:37 PM
Actually, being killed by a giant clam would be a pretty awesome way to go. But other than that, do you want to go down as dying from a microscopic worm, or battling a narwhal?

Stanley Burrell
12-27-2010, 05:42 PM
And while I'm talking to myself, although dying from a virus, which isn't considered alive because it doesn't follow one of the six fundamental rules of what is a living domain, I would still proudly meet my grave infected with the Kuru prion after eating people's brains.

So in a way, you are correct, no one: It's all a matter of perspective.

Paradii
12-27-2010, 05:45 PM
Actually, being killed by a giant clam would be a pretty awesome way to go. But other than that, do you want to go down as dying from a microscopic worm, or battling a narwhal?

On average, mosquitoes kill 1,000,000 times more people than sharks a year. Tiny stuff is deadly.

NocturnalRob
12-27-2010, 05:50 PM
Tiny stuff is deadly.
Is that what you tell all your dates?

Stanley Burrell
12-27-2010, 05:50 PM
On average, mosquitoes kill 1,000,000 times more people than sharks a year. Tiny stuff is deadly.

That's not really fair though, since dying from plasmodium isn't entirely the mosquito going, "Alright, let's kill this non-sickle celled bitch." I mean, I guess if you take tsetses into account, trypanosomes fucking your ass up is at least way more original.

Being killed by a cnidaria can be O.K., if you're Will Smith. Like in that movie I just spoiled. Eh, you probably watched it or you never will anyway.

Paradii
12-27-2010, 07:33 PM
Is that what you tell all your dates?

It's how I get chicks to consent to the abortion.

NocturnalRob
12-27-2010, 07:36 PM
It's how I get chicks to consent to the abortion.
i lol'd.

ClydeR
12-28-2010, 12:51 PM
You all need to realize that no matter what the law says, the government cannot enforce the law if Congress doesn't appropriate any money to enforce it. Republicans, who will control the House in a few days, aren't going to appropriate any money for enforcing endangered species laws. Finally, after hundreds of years of conflict (http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/worldnews/article-1102347/Chilling-game-hide-seek-hungry-polar-bear.html), humans will prevail over polar bears.

God gave man dominion over animals. If we don't think guinea worms deserve to exist, then it is our right to wipe them out. Same exact thing with polar bears.

Androidpk
12-28-2010, 01:06 PM
The main difference being people don't eat guinea worms but polar bears are fucking delicious

Abilene
12-28-2010, 04:50 PM

My eyes... my legs, my feet...

NocturnalRob
12-28-2010, 04:52 PM
My eyes... my legs, my feet...
I think that's a Khia song...

Stanley Burrell
12-28-2010, 04:54 PM

Well. I hope everyone else realizes how winning this post is.

Drew
12-29-2010, 11:36 AM

I heard that song the radio before, which is really quite an accomplishment. I salute any female rapper who makes Trina sound prude.

ClydeR
01-27-2011, 05:16 PM
Republicans, who will control the House in a few days, aren't going to appropriate any money for enforcing endangered species laws. Finally, after hundreds of years of conflict (http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/worldnews/article-1102347/Chilling-game-hide-seek-hungry-polar-bear.html), humans will prevail over polar bears.

Just like I said should happen, Republicans are proceeding with the "Polar Bear Delisting Act (http://www.govtrack.us/congress/bill.xpd?bill=h112-39)."

4a6c1
01-27-2011, 05:35 PM
I wonder how likely it is that they will be successful passing it.

NocturnalRob
01-27-2011, 05:37 PM
Depends on how vital the Coca-Cola/GOP relationship is.

4a6c1
01-27-2011, 05:39 PM
Good point. I think we should probably make a map of Coca Cola locations and place targets on top of them.

Rucca
01-27-2011, 05:53 PM
Pepsi is where it's at. Sorry polar bears. :(

Paradii
01-27-2011, 06:07 PM
I understand that taste is very subjective, but I've never understood how anyone could prefer pepsi over coke.

waywardgs
01-27-2011, 06:59 PM
I understand that taste is very subjective, but I've never understood how anyone could prefer pepsi over coke.

It's related to shaken baby syndrome.

ClydeR
08-20-2015, 09:58 PM
Carter returned to the subject of Guiena worms at his press conference this morning..

During the press conference this morning on the condition and future of former US President Jimmy Carter, Mr Carter explained his situation with his cancer and it’s spread to his brain.

The 90-year-old Carter, who appeared in exceptional spirits, as part of the press conference Q & A, discussed his work with the Carter Center, one of the premier institutions in the battle with infectious diseases.

An Atlanta-area reporter asked the former President: “You have had such a scope of work in your life. In the time that you have left, what would give you the most satisfaction to see something happen? Peace in the Middle East or eradication of polio or — what — what are those things that you hold onto the most that would give you the greatest satisfaction for the world and if you can look at the state of the world and how you’ve been working in efforts to try and…

Carter, a major figure in battling infectious diseases since the mid-80s responded: “As far as the Carter Center’s concerned, I would like to see guinea worm completely eradicated before — before I die. I’d like for the last guinea worm to die before I do.

More... (http://outbreaknewstoday.com/jimmy-carter-id-like-for-the-last-guinea-worm-to-die-before-i-do-63692/)