PDA

View Full Version : Violence against women ongoing in Saudi Arabia

4a6c1
11-21-2010, 08:43 PM
Human Rights Watch sent a letter to Saudi Authorities recently encouraging the implementation of women's rights commitments.

-basically HRW requests that they pass laws against domestic violence and ban marriages to female children.

November 9, 2010

H.R.H. Prince Sa'ud al-Faisal bin Abd al-‘Aziz Al Sa'ud
Minister of Foreign Affairs of the Kingdom of Saudi Arabia

Your Excellency,

On Wednesday, the Kingdom of Saudi Arabia's candidacy for the executive board of the new agency UN Women will be considered. In that context, we urge you to take immediate steps to implement the women's rights commitments Saudi Arabia made during the Universal Period Review of Saudi Arabia at the UN Human Rights Council in June 2009. At that review, Saudi Arabia accepted recommendations put forward by other UN member states to end the system of male guardianship over women, to give full legal identity to Saudi women, and to prohibit gender discrimination.

In the 17 months since that review, however, we see little, if any, movement to fulfill these important commitments, which Saudi Arabia made voluntarily in the presence of its peers. At the review, Saudi Arabia denied the existence of guardianship restrictions under Islamic law and told the Human Rights Council that "Islam guarantees a woman's right to conduct her affairs and enjoy her legal capacity." Those statements, however, are inconsistent with the reality faced by women in their daily lives in Saudi Arabia. Human Rights Watch has documented that Saudi officials continue to require women to obtain permission from male guardians to conduct their most basic affairs, like traveling or receiving medical care. In other cases studied by Human Rights Watch, male family members have obtained court approval to prevent, force, or dissolve marriages of their adult daughters.

In putting its name forward for a seat on the executive board of UN Women, Saudi Arabia has placed its record on women's rights issues in the spotlight. At this moment, it is critical that the Kingdom of Saudi Arabia take visible and concrete measures to fulfill its own commitments to reform. In particular, Saudi Arabia should establish an oversight mechanism to ensure that government agencies no longer request a guardian's permission for a woman to work, travel, study, marry, or gain access to health care or any public service. As it seeks a seat on UN Women's board this week, we urge Saudi Arabia to:

•Restate its commitment to end the system of male guardianship over women, to give full legal identity to Saudi women, and to prohibit gender discrimination;
•Announce publicly that it will set up an oversight mechanism to ensure that its commitments in this regard are met; and
•Commit itself to an explicit timetable for establishing the oversight mechanism and ending male guardianship over women.
Saudi Arabia has not fulfilled public promises by officials in 2009 to pass a law criminalizing domestic violence and to ban the marriage of young girls. Human Rights Watch has also documented several cases of alleged violence against women including incest, forced marriage, home imprisonment and domestic abuse, and the failure of Saudi women to access protection and justice in these cases. Human Rights Watch has brought these cases to the attention of the Human Rights Commission, a Saudi government entity. The commission has not effectively intervened to solve or address any of the cases brought to its attention, instructing women to "endure their troubles." We urge the Saudi government to strengthen the capacity of the commission to respond effectively to violations of women's human rights and to commit itself to addressing violence against women.

Kind regards,

Liesl Gerntholtz
Director, Women's Rights Division

HRW Link - http://www.hrw.org/en/news/2010/11/09/letter-foreign-minister-saudi-arabia-urging-immediate-steps-towards-implementation-w

4a6c1
11-21-2010, 08:48 PM
But the violence Continues....BBC reports

Indonesian maids tortured and killed.

President Susilo Bambang Yudhoyono said a team had been sent to the Saudi town of Abha to investigate reports of the murder of 36-year-old Kikim Komalasari.

It comes as officials arrived in Saudi Arabia to follow up claims of torture against a second Indonesian maid.

Sumiati Binti Salan Mustapa is recovering in hospital in Medina.

Her injuries include gashes to her face and cuts to her lips, allegedly inflicted by her employers using scissors. She was also burned with an iron and suffered internal injuries, officials say.

Indonesia's president has demanded justice for the "extraordinary torture".

Indonesian media reported on Thursday that the Saudi Arabian government had arrested the female employer of Sumiati, and apologised for the maid's treatment.

(I suck at formatting)

Link -BBC http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-pacific-11795356

Mighty Nikkisaurus
11-21-2010, 09:10 PM
Saudi Arabia is bad for human trafficking as well, especially in young girls who are basically bought/sold as house slaves.

Sickening :(

Kuyuk
11-21-2010, 10:18 PM
I approve of house elves.

(Sorry Hermione)

Firestorm Killa
11-22-2010, 08:55 AM
Saudi Arabia is bad for human trafficking as well, especially in young girls who are basically bought/sold as house slaves.

Sickening :(

Yep it is. It is also done and legal in dubai and spain. It also happens here in the USA. Watched America's Most Wanted this weekend and it made me sick.

Rinualdo
11-22-2010, 08:58 AM
Yep it is. It is also done and legal in dubai and spain. It also happens here in the USA. Watched America's Most Wanted this weekend and it made me sick.

You do know that Dubai isn't a country, right?

AnticorRifling
11-22-2010, 09:02 AM
Dude he's a world traveler.

Firestorm Killa
11-22-2010, 09:04 AM

Yes I do know. Only been there like 20 fucking times tard.

Showal
11-22-2010, 09:13 AM
Yes I do know. Only been there like 20 fucking times tard.

buuuuuuullllshit buuuuuullshit

Firestorm Killa
11-22-2010, 09:20 AM
buuuuuuullllshit buuuuuullshit

Test me then bitch.

Drew
11-22-2010, 09:28 AM

Although it is more autonomous than US states are compared to the Federal government.

Firestorm Killa
11-22-2010, 09:33 AM
Although it is more autonomous than US states are compared to the Federal government.

Pretty much. You hardly hear people talking about the U.A.E when talking about Dubai, it's always just Dubai. Probably because the rest of the country is shitty, and Dubai was designed to be a tourist trap. Gotta say I do love the indoor ski slope at the mall of dubai, it is wicked awesome.

Showal
11-22-2010, 09:44 AM
Test me then bitch.

I can't. You live such a classified life.

Firestorm Killa
11-22-2010, 09:59 AM
I can't. You live such a classified life.

I can talk about my time in Dubai. $15 dollar cartons of cigarettes at the Seafarer's center. Absinthe is an awesome drink, burns like hell going down. There is a huge store in the mall of dubai that makes walmart look like a convenience store, and is cheap as hell. Every toilet stall has a spray nozzle so you can spray your ass clean. Cleanest wipe I ever had actually. Saw a shit ton of Lamborghini's and Maserati's. There is a hotel shaped like a sail with neon lights that change colors. They have man made islands in the shape of a palm tree. Beef, does not taste like beef, so more likely it was yak or goat or something. Had a funny taste. No speed limit. A giant arcade. A tree out in the middle of the desert that is living but has no source of water. It's a shame that the electronics over their don't work here cause that was some cheap ass stuff.

Showal
11-22-2010, 10:12 AM
When were you there?

Firestorm Killa
11-22-2010, 10:18 AM
When were you there?

Rinualdo
11-22-2010, 10:31 AM
I can talk about my time in Dubai. $15 dollar cartons of cigarettes at the Seafarer's center. Absinthe is an awesome drink, burns like hell going down. There is a huge store in the mall of dubai that makes walmart look like a convenience store, and is cheap as hell. Every toilet stall has a spray nozzle so you can spray your ass clean. Cleanest wipe I ever had actually. Saw a shit ton of Lamborghini's and Maserati's. There is a hotel shaped like a sail with neon lights that change colors. They have man made islands in the shape of a palm tree. Beef, does not taste like beef, so more likely it was yak or goat or something. Had a funny taste. No speed limit. A giant arcade. A tree out in the middle of the desert that is living but has no source of water. It's a shame that the electronics over their don't work here cause that was some cheap ass stuff.

I agree, google is awesome.

All 20 times, right?

Firestorm Killa
11-22-2010, 10:41 AM
I agree, google is awesome.

All 20 times, right?

No google sucks. If you don't believe me fine, go fuck yourself. I know where I have been. And I really don't give a fuck about your fucktard idiocy.

Showal
11-22-2010, 10:42 AM
No google sucks. If you don't believe me fine, go fuck yourself. I know where I have been. And I really don't give a fuck about your fucktard idiocy.

He only cares about our libtard policies.

Firestorm Killa
11-22-2010, 10:49 AM
He only cares about our libtard policies.

I care about alot more then just that. But yes libtard policies are destroying this country. Can you really deny it? If so give facts. Explain how Social Security, Medicare, Medicaid, Obamacare, Tax code, Big Government, etc, are not destroying the country.

EDIT: Also forgot to add the FED, how is that not destroying the country?
EDIT 2: Forgot about the UN too, how is that not destroying the country?

Showal
11-22-2010, 10:52 AM
I care about alot more then just that. But yes libtard policies are destroying this country. Can you really deny it? If so give facts. Explain how Social Security, Medicare, Medicaid, Obamacare, Tax code, Big Government, etc, are not destroying the country.

EDIT: Also forgot to add the FED, how is that not destroying the country?

How about you make a thread dedicated to just those points and you can argue about it there?

Firestorm Killa
11-22-2010, 10:55 AM
How about you make a thread dedicated to just those points and you can argue about it there?

Well, you did bring it up here, so I am countering you by asking you. Bring it on.

Firestorm Killa
11-22-2010, 10:56 AM

Wait wait ok I will make a new thread.

Tgo01
11-22-2010, 01:59 PM

Everyone who visits Dubai has eaten at Khaleel, how come you failed to mention that?

4a6c1
11-22-2010, 02:03 PM
Omg my femrights thread is all tarded now. :(

Firestorm Killa post flight rewards plan or gtfo

Tgo01
11-22-2010, 02:12 PM
Omg my femrights thread is all tarded now. :(

Well it's femrights, it was bound to happen sooner or later. Don't you have a sandwich to make or something?

4a6c1
11-22-2010, 02:20 PM
I'll kitchen your sandwich with my bare feet.

Drew
11-22-2010, 03:36 PM
I'll kitchen your sandwich with my bare feet.

Remember when that guy used to stalk you all over these message boards? Why was that?

AnticorRifling
11-22-2010, 03:44 PM
Which one?

4a6c1
11-22-2010, 03:44 PM
Remember when that guy used to stalk you all over these message boards? Why was that?

What guy. What the fuck are you talking about. Please stop using your brain for the love of God.

CrystalTears
11-22-2010, 03:49 PM
What guy. What the fuck are you talking about. Please stop using your brain for the love of God.
LOL! I know who he means but the name escapes me now too. He was le creepy and would mention you even when you were on hiatus.

4a6c1
11-22-2010, 03:50 PM

Oh.

Drew
11-22-2010, 04:04 PM
LOL! I know who he means but the name escapes me now too. He was le creepy and would mention you even when you were on hiatus.

I think this was him, but he used to have a different handle: http://forum.gsplayers.com/member.php?u=1952

I also remember he had a QQ thread about wanting to delete his account because he had "a real life".

Gan
11-22-2010, 04:12 PM
:rofl:

:popcorn:

:fish:

4a6c1
11-22-2010, 04:17 PM
Oh I see. You guys are talking about Georgi? Who I was actually friends with irl... And that was when I was still steadily dating women and he was definately a brofriend not a HURHURletsSEXS? friend. We were all about the laughs. He was the only one I told about Venezuela when I went and the only who knew my family situation and why I went into the military blah blah blah. I wouldnt call him a stalker or creepy in any sense.

But since you guys care (that's sweet) here is my current beef with him.... When I was a republican and he was a liberal WE WERE COOL but now that HE is a republican and I am really liberal he's all like 'dont call me bro'. Or something. :(

Also Drew. It's interesting to me that you keep track of these things.

Tgo01
11-22-2010, 04:20 PM
But since you guys care (that's sweet) here is my current beef with him.... When I was a republican and he was a liberal WE WERE COOL but now that HE is a republican and I am really liberal he's all like 'dont call me bro'. Or something. :(

More proof that liberals are ruining the country! Where is Firestorm Killer when we need him?!

Showal
11-22-2010, 04:34 PM
More proof that liberals are ruining the country! Where is Firestorm Killer when we need him?!

it's killa, dood.

Latrinsorm
11-22-2010, 05:07 PM
Apotheosis... more like Apodaragonis!!!!!!!!

The world is upsetting.