PDA

View Full Version : Bill Maher and Religion

Jarvan
09-30-2010, 09:08 PM
So Bill took his insanity a step further, and basically said if you believe in God and the Bible you are an idiot.

Since you can insert Allah for God, and Koran for Bible. Did He just insult Islam? Certainly sounds like it to me. here is to hoping Muslims don't hear this and Bill having to go into hiding. After all, he pretty much just insulted Allah and Muhammad.

Course, he is a progressive Liberal, so it's perfectly fine for him to insult 70+% of the world's population. After all, according to him those same people are stupid anyway.

Deathravin
09-30-2010, 09:14 PM
To be fair, every study on the correlation between intelligence and religiosity has said there is a directly negative correlation. The more intelligent somebody is, the less likely they are to have religion.

nub
09-30-2010, 09:23 PM
So Bill took his insanity a step further, and basically said if you believe in God and the Bible you are an idiot.

Since you can insert Allah for God, and Koran for Bible. Did He just insult Islam? Certainly sounds like it to me. here is to hoping Muslims don't hear this and Bill having to go into hiding. After all, he pretty much just insulted Allah and Muhammad.

Course, he is a progressive Liberal, so it's perfectly fine for him to insult 70+% of the world's population. After all, according to him those same people are stupid anyway.

He insults Islam all the time and makes fun of them all the time, almost as much as he does christians. However, more christians watch his show than do muslims, so you might be able to see why he talks about christians more. Christians influence the laws in the U.S. more than do the muslims.

BriarFox
09-30-2010, 09:24 PM
To be fair, every study on the correlation between intelligence and religiosity has said there is a direct correlation. The more intelligent somebody is, the less likely they are to have religion.

I can't stop watching your sig. It is creepy and awesome at the same time.

BriarFox
09-30-2010, 09:26 PM

Though I have great respect for some highly intelligent Christians, I would generally agree with that comment.

Deathravin
09-30-2010, 09:26 PM
I can't stop watching your sig. It is creepy and awesome at the same time.

I know, right.
It looks like it's from some WWE thing, but, ya, oddly hypnotic...

BriarFox
09-30-2010, 09:28 PM
I know, right.
It looks like it's from some WWE thing, but, ya, oddly hypnotic...

You can see the guy's thoughts on his face (or at least the thoughts he's projecting). "You hurt my feelings and made me sad, but wait, now I'm picturing your broken body on the ground in front of me ... Yeeeeeesssss."

Deathravin
09-30-2010, 09:37 PM
You can see the guy's thoughts on his face (or at least the thoughts he's projecting). "You hurt my feelings and made me sad, but wait, now I'm picturing your broken body on the ground in front of me ... Yeeeeeesssss."

To me it looks like his chick was just beat up by his friend. So he's all mad... 'he just beat the bejesus out of my girl!, then the quick internal smile, 'I hated that chick anyway... wanted to see shit happen to that bitch for years'.

Deathravin
09-30-2010, 09:58 PM
What you are describing is a negative correlation, not a direct correlation.

Never said I wasn't a dumbass. You're right, it IS a negative correlation. I was meaning to convey that the more intelligent a human being is, the more likely they are to deny religion. I neglected to notice the negative in my statement.

But yes, time and time again, in every study ever conducted, whatever the standard unit of measure for intelligence, the higher it is, the less likely one is to believe in any form of religion.

Ryvicke
09-30-2010, 10:04 PM
To me it looks like his chick was just beat up by his friend. So he's all mad... 'he just beat the bejesus out of my girl!, then the quick internal smile, 'I hated that chick anyway... wanted to see shit happen to that bitch for years'.

That's kind of a weird interpretation. Although that .gif is so fucking compelling. I also couldn't stop watching it today at work... and I guess the way you imagine his internal thoughts is a 21st century Rorschach test. And I think you're a wife-beater.

J/K.

I'm using this thread to introduce the latest chapter in my avatar narrative. The evil moon from Majora's Mask killed Link with a kitchen knife. The triforce remains scattered and broken across the bottom of the frame. Things are looking bad for the people of my avatar world...

Jarvan
09-30-2010, 10:13 PM
To be fair, every study on the correlation between intelligence and religiosity has said there is a directly negative correlation. The more intelligent somebody is, the less likely they are to have religion.

So all the greatest minds of the last 2k years were more likely not to be religious? Oddly, this is generally the exact opposite, at least up until the last few decades.

Newton, Pascal, Da Vinci, Einstein just to name a few random ones.

Also, since Obama claims to be religious, I guess that would mean he isn't as smart as everyone says then.

According to this..

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/7/72/LynnHarveyNyborg-CountryBelieveGod-Intelligence.svg/800px-LynnHarveyNyborg-CountryBelieveGod-Intelligence.svg.png

The Average IQ of the selected people would have to be closer to 80 then the standard 100. I'd be more likely to believe their findings if they sampled say 5,000-10,000 people with recorded IQ's of 90-110 and asked how many of them believed in God.

4a6c1
09-30-2010, 10:23 PM
The Average IQ of the selected people would have to be closer to 80 then the standard 100. I'd be more likely to believe their findings if they sampled say 5,000-10,000 people with recorded IQ's of 90-110 and asked how many of them believed in God.

Meh. IQ is irrelevant to the discussion of 1) intelligence and 2) Jeebus. In fact, IQ would like to remain neutral to all of your silly discussions about silly things. Here, have a bowtie.

Deathravin
09-30-2010, 10:23 PM
Newton, Pascal, Da Vinci, Einstein just to name a few random ones

Einstein was not religious.

4a6c1
09-30-2010, 10:25 PM
Einstein said Imagination is better than Brains. Or something. Meaning he would not be discussing with you whether smart people like God. He would say 'I like pokadots on my bowties'.

pabstblueribbon
09-30-2010, 10:26 PM
So all the greatest minds of the last 2k years were more likely not to be religious? Oddly, this is generally the exact opposite, at least up until the last few decades.

Also, since Obama claims to be religious, I guess that would mean he isn't as smart as everyone says then.

According to this..

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/7/72/LynnHarveyNyborg-CountryBelieveGod-Intelligence.svg/800px-LynnHarveyNyborg-CountryBelieveGod-Intelligence.svg.png

Haha you've got to be shitting me.

Deathravin
09-30-2010, 10:28 PM
Also, Obama has nothing to do with this. Politicians are religious for the simple fact that if they are not, they cannot be politicians.

Warriorbird
09-30-2010, 10:33 PM
Newton thought worshiping Christ was idol worship.

On Da Vinci

"Vasari's biographical essay (1550), which said, "his cast of mind was so heretical that he did not adhere to any religion, thinking perhaps that it was better to be a philosopher than a Christian." Interestingly, this note was not found in the second edition (1568)."

Pascal's Christianity, while present, varied greatly and was entirely gone for a ten year period.

In a 1950 letter to M. Berkowitz, Einstein stated that "My position concerning God is that of an agnostic. I am convinced that a vivid consciousness of the primary importance of moral principles for the betterment and ennoblement of life does not need the idea of a law-giver, especially a law-giver who works on the basis of reward and punishment.

Mighty Nikkisaurus
09-30-2010, 10:33 PM
This thread is dildos.

4a6c1
09-30-2010, 10:36 PM
Bowtie dildos.

Cephalopod
09-30-2010, 10:39 PM
According to this..

You should really read the conclusions of the researchers who did that study...

Deathravin
09-30-2010, 10:41 PM
You should really read the conclusions of the researchers who did that study...

But the chart has pretty colors and all the actual paper has is words... Words take like 10 MINUTES to read, and even longer to actually understand. Not everybody has that kinda time.

pabstblueribbon
09-30-2010, 10:43 PM

According to this..

http://img.chan4chan.com/img/2009-04-21/religion_vs_iq.jpg

Jarvan
09-30-2010, 10:44 PM
Though I have great respect for some highly intelligent Christians, I would generally agree with that comment.

Like everything there are those that would fit into this category. People that would leave everything up to God, or Trust in God to heal their sick child rather then seek medical treatment, While they may not be of lower intelligence, i would say they are acting stupid.

That being said, Killing someone in the name of God is just as stupid.

But there is a big difference between saying some people can be stupid, and ALL people are stupid that do a thing.

I believe in a higher power, but I do not believe that it controls or does everything. it may have set everything in motion, but I don't believe it directly created humans. At the same time though, any being so vastly more powerful and more knowledgeable then us would be impossible to understand. Who is to say that our evolution was not a direct intervention to create a specific being? We currently do it ourselves. Recently, we took eel genes and inserted it into a Salmon so we can get bigger fish faster.

Faith is something you either have, or do not have. But to equate intelligence to faith is in one way rather hard to do.

pabstblueribbon
09-30-2010, 10:50 PM
Like everything there are those that would fit into this category. People that would leave everything up to God, or Trust in God to heal their sick child rather then seek medical treatment, While they may not be of lower intelligence, i would say they are acting stupid.

That being said, Killing someone in the name of God is just as stupid.

But there is a big difference between saying some people can be stupid, and ALL people are stupid that do a thing.

I believe in a higher power, but I do not believe that it controls or does everything. it may have set everything in motion, but I don't believe it directly created humans. At the same time though, any being so vastly more powerful and more knowledgeable then us would be impossible to understand. Who is to say that our evolution was not a direct intervention to create a specific being? We currently do it ourselves. Recently, we took eel genes and inserted it into a Salmon so we can get bigger fish faster.

Faith is something you either have, or do not have. But to equate intelligence to faith is in one way rather hard to do.

http://i45.photobucket.com/albums/f78/PhillyBoy66/trekbbs/implied-facepalm.jpg

Faith != Religion

http://i160.photobucket.com/albums/t185/dethtoll/hurr-durr-hurrdurr-graph.png

BriarFox
09-30-2010, 10:51 PM
I believe in a higher power, but I do not believe that it controls or does everything. it may have set everything in motion, but I don't believe it directly created humans.

This belief labels you a heretic according to the Bible and standard Christian dogma. It's more aptly described as deistic, or as some form of agnosticism.

At the same time though, any being so vastly more powerful and more knowledgeable then us would be impossible to understand. Who is to say that our evolution was not a direct intervention to create a specific being? We currently do it ourselves. Recently, we took eel genes and inserted it into a Salmon so we can get bigger fish faster.

This is a giant argument from absence. There's no proof, so anything could be true. Well, there's no proof that the color yellow doesn't embody a divine spirit, so let's all worship the rainbow.

I'm being a bit caustic here, but these are very flawed arguments if you're supporting Christianity or arguing that religion and intelligence aren't antithetical.

Warriorbird
09-30-2010, 11:06 PM
America's religious don't actually know much about their religion.

http://religion.blogs.cnn.com/2010/09/28/dont-know-much-about-religion-youre-not-alone-study-finds/

Sam
09-30-2010, 11:23 PM
Most people are idiots, religious or not. Think about how smart the average American is. By definition, half of the country is even dumber than that.
Then think about how dumb people must have been 2000+ years ago when they came up with all this religion hocus pocus shit. I forget what my point was. god.nil? == true

nub
09-30-2010, 11:31 PM
Faith != Religion

http://i160.photobucket.com/albums/t185/dethtoll/hurr-durr-hurrdurr-graph.png

rofl!

Latrinsorm
09-30-2010, 11:33 PM
But yes, time and time again, in every study ever conducted, whatever the standard unit of measure for intelligence, the higher it is, the less likely one is to believe in any form of religion.Have any of these studies actually tested what someone believed, or have they all simply taken it on faith? By this I mean: if I were running such a study and you told me you were not religious, how would I scientifically establish whether you were correct, or even telling the truth as you believed it?

Sam
09-30-2010, 11:34 PM
Logic (LOG): 99 (34) ... 99 (34)

Even my character is an atheist.