PDA

View Full Version : So the Oxford Kerfuffle Was Wrong After All

ClydeR
09-29-2010, 12:55 PM
Yesterday (http://voices.washingtonpost.com/plum-line/2010/09/another_christine_odonnell_emb.html) everybody was up in arms about a "LinkedIn" page, which is apparently a lot like the Facebook, for Christine O'Donnell, the Republican Senate candidate from Delaware.

The LinkedIn page said that she got her education at the University of Oxford. But what actually happened is that she took a course from the Phoenix Institute, which happened to be renting space from Oxford University. Why would she lie about it? The Phoenix Institute is based on the United States, which is a lot better than attending a college based in another country.

Today (http://voices.washingtonpost.com/plum-line/2010/09/christine_odonnell_speaks_out.html), it turns out that it wasn't true. O'Donnell released a statement about it.

There have been reports that I have released false information on a LinkedIn profile under my name. This is categorically untrue. I never established a LinkedIn profile, or authorized anyone to do so on my behalf. I have always been clear about my educational background.

This isn't the first time people have attacked O'Donnell about her education. Before the Republican primary, it was the Republicans who were attacking her because of the lawsuit she filed against her former employer for millions of dollars alleging gender discrimination and alleging that her former employer prevented her from getting her master's degree at Princeton.

According to the amended complaint, O'Donnell had considered not taking the ISI job because "she had applied for admission to a Master’s Degree program at Princeton University, to start in the fall of 2003, and was concerned that the ISI position would not fit with her plans."

But, in fact, O'Donnell had not yet received her bachelor's degree at that time and had not been accepted to a master's program at Princeton.

The Delaware News Journal reported on Saturday: "[O'Donnell's] alma mater, Fairleigh Dickinson University, sued her in 1994 for about $4,000 in unpaid tuition. She satisfied the debt in 2003 and received her diploma this month after completing an additional course." O'Donnell's campaign manager Matt Moran acknowledged in an email received at midnight Saturday that O'Donnell "was not admitted to a Masters Degree program at Princeton. She took an undergraduate non-matriculated class at PU on constitutional government." Moran has not yet replied to a subsequent email asking why O'Donnell claimed "ISI violated its promise to allow Miss ODonnell time to take Master's degree classes at Princeton in return for a salary as small as $65,000 for her credentials and expertise, and as a result of ISI's breach of its agreement, Miss O'Donnell was forced to quit her courses at Princeton, losing her time and money invested in this course of study at Princeton. [emphasis added]."

More... (http://www.weeklystandard.com/blogs/citing-mental-anguish-christine-odonnell-sought-69-million-gender-discrimination-lawsuit-again)