PDA

View Full Version : "Alaska, the home of bacon"

ClydeR
09-18-2010, 05:53 PM
Eskimos invented bacon?

With the slogan "Let's Make History," Lisa Murkowski announced Friday that she'd pursue a write-in bid to keep her seat in the U.S. Senate after losing the Republican primary to Joe Miller.

More... (http://www.adn.com/2010/09/17/1459578/murkowski-expected-to-say-yes.html)

No one has run a successful write-in campaign for the U.S. Senate since Strom Thurmond in 1954.

Former Gov. Sarah Palin, whose support for Miller drove hundreds of thousands of dollars in donations from the Tea Party Express his way, called Murkowski's effort futile. Murkowski offered a response to Palin, who resigned as governor last year, and to others she described as "naysayers" in Washington D.C.

"Perhaps it's one time they met one Republican woman who won't quit on Alaska," Murkowski said, receiving a huge standing ovation from her supporters.

She's also been attacked by the party's more conservative senators, including Sen. Jim DeMint, R-S.C., whose political action committee backs Miller. He didn't mention Murkowski by name when he spoke Friday to a crowd of conservative voters about the successes of the tea party movement, but they certainly knew who he meant.

"Even in Alaska, the home of bacon, they threw out that senator," he said.

I don't get DeMint's reference to bacon. Even if Alaskans invented bacon, which I doubt, what does that have to do with the Senate race? Is it one of those really funny jokes that I'm too dumb to understand? Did Eskimos invent bacon from the large herds of swine rooting across the frozen Alaskan tundra?

Delias
09-18-2010, 09:00 PM
Eskimos invented bacon?

I don't get DeMint's reference to bacon. Even if Alaskans invented bacon, which I doubt, what does that have to do with the Senate race? Is it one of those really funny jokes that I'm too dumb to understand? Did Eskimos invent bacon from the large herds of swine rooting across the frozen Alaskan tundra?

It's a reference to the pork barrel nature of the bridge to nowhere.

4a6c1
09-18-2010, 11:16 PM
lmao

I'm pretty sure the natives have been smoking seal meat since before the You Es Ays. But not bacons.

RichardCranium
09-18-2010, 11:34 PM
John Candy and Eugene Levy sans 1990's. Please don't fuck with me on this one. ClydeR speaks the turuth.

ClydeR
09-21-2010, 04:30 PM
Sen. Lisa Murkowski's spot as the top Republican on the Senate Energy and Natural Resources Committee might be the second casualty of her write-in campaign.

Senate Minority Leader Mitch McConnell, R-Ky., said this afternoon that fellow Republican senators will decide "whether or not it's appropriate" for Murkowksi to continue to lead the committee for Republicans.

More... (http://community.adn.com/adn/node/153239)

Kicking her off the committee would be the smart thing for Republicans to do. That would show real foresight and strategic thinking ahead of the November elections that may result in a Senate with either a very very narrow Democrat majority or a very very narrow Republican majority.