PDA

View Full Version : No More John Kerrys

ClydeR
09-09-2010, 02:45 PM
The Duck Test is the perfect measure of whether or not a soldier deserves a Purple Heart. If there's not a lot of blood, then there should be no Purple Heart. The last time the military got lax about this, we got a John Kerry. The big shots in the military are making sure that doesn't happen again.

The U.S. Army honors soldiers wounded or killed in combat with the Purple Heart, a powerful symbol designed to recognize their sacrifice and service.

Yet Army commanders have routinely denied Purple Hearts to soldiers who have sustained concussions in Iraq, despite regulations that make such wounds eligible for the medal, an investigation by NPR and ProPublica has found.

More... (http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=129606127)

The denials of Purple Hearts reflect a broader skepticism within the military over the severity of mild traumatic brain injury, often described as one of the signature wounds of the conflicts, according to interviews, documents and internal emails obtained by NPR and ProPublica.

In 2008, Brig. Gen. Joseph Caravalho, then the top medical commander in Iraq, issued a policy blocking medical providers from even discussing the Purple Heart with soldiers who suffered mild traumatic brain injuries. Doctors were not barred from discussing the award with soldiers who have other injuries.

The Purple Heart confers practical benefits, gaining recipients a higher priority in obtaining medical service from Veterans Affairs medical facilities.

But for many soldiers, the Purple Heart is, first and foremost, a badge of courage: A tangible recognition of service, honor, and bravery.

Neely said some senior medical officials opposed giving out the Purple Heart for invisible injuries. He said one fellow medical officer — whom he did not identify — told him that he feared creating "another John Kerry" by giving out the Purple Heart for concussions.

But a fellow officer said that "no more John Kerrys" became a catchphrase among some medical officers in Iraq who felt that mild traumatic brain injuries were not serious enough to merit Purple Hearts.

Also, this is a voluntary army, not drafted like with Vietnam where everybody had to go. That means the test should be even stricter for who deserves a Purple Heart.

kookiegod
09-09-2010, 03:11 PM
Clyde,

I am going to say this so even you can understand it.

GO FUCK YOURSELF!

Holy crap, you ever picked up an M16-A1 rifle? You ever put your life on the line for your country. Have you ever held a hand grendade and thought you could extingiush the life of someone else, or youself??? I served, HHC 1-104th combat infantry. Was peacetime, 1986, but I gave for the red, white and blue.

Have you had friends KILLED in Iraq? I did, my buddy from GS who left his darling wife and kid. Have friends serving over there. I do, from GS and other folks, who I pray for every day. RIP Galyden. We love you and your family forever my friend. He died to a fucking roadside bomb, you have no idea what in God's name you are talking about.

The men and women who serve now in wartime, a war that is on two fronts and nearly a decade long need our thanks and our help if things go wrong, and if a medal helps get a soldier the help they need (see that hostage situation the other day), oh well.

I pray for our troops, and the end to violence, but man...I can't even say it, but you are so wrong, not even a good Christian, but not a good Republican.

Who the fuck are you to say who is eligible for the Purple Heart, who is eligble for medical care??

ClydeR
09-09-2010, 03:17 PM
The men and women who serve now in wartime, a war that is on two fronts and nearly a decade long need our thanks and our help if things go wrong, and if a medal helps get a soldier the help they need (see that hostage situation the other day), oh well.

Cheapening the medals is not supporting the troops. I want to give a medal to those who deserve it. You want to give a medal to everyone, making it mean less for those who plainly deserve it.

Parkbandit
09-09-2010, 03:18 PM
Clyde,

GO FUCK YOURSELF!

Holy crap, you ever picked up an M16-A1 rifle? You ever put your life on the line for your country. Have you ever held a hand grendade and thought you could extingiush the life of someone else, or youself??? I served, HHC 1-104th combat infantry. Was peacetime, 1986, but I gave for the red, white and blue.

Have you had friends KILLED in Iraq? I did, my buddy from GS who left his darling wife and kid. Have friends serving over there. I do, from GS and other folks, who I pray for every day. RIP Galyden. We love you and your family forever my friend. He died to a fucking roadside bomb, you have no idea what in God's name you are talking about.

I pray for our troops, and the end to violence, but man...I can't even say it, but you are so wrong, not even a good Christian, but not a good Republican.

Who the fuck are you to say who is eligible for the Purple Heart, who is eligble for medical care??

:rofl:

You simply don't get it....

Daragon
09-09-2010, 04:40 PM
Clyde,

GO FUCK YOURSELF!

I been there. Just got out..

TheLastShamurai
09-09-2010, 07:33 PM
I think I'd rather lose both my legs than have TBI. It's a shame these guys are getting denied the Purple Heart.

Rocktar
09-09-2010, 08:34 PM
People have gotten Purple Hearts for getting scratched or cut from debris in combat zones, why the fuck would someone not get it from being close enough to an explosion or have whatever else happen to get a concussion? Seriously, this is bullshit plain and simple.

Daragon
09-09-2010, 08:46 PM
People have gotten Purple Hearts for getting scratched or cut from debris in combat zones, why the fuck would someone not get it from being close enough to an explosion or have whatever else happen to get a concussion? Seriously, this is bullshit plain and simple.

Agreed.

Ceyrin
09-09-2010, 09:22 PM
I just hurt myself a few minutes ago with a pair of hemostats I got from an old army surplus store while using it to pull hairs out of my nose.

There were tears and everything.

TheLastShamurai
09-09-2010, 09:49 PM
I just hurt myself a few minutes ago with a pair of hemostats I got from an old army surplus store while using it to pull hairs out of my nose.

There were tears and everything.

Ah, the front line of the War on Hygiene.