PDA

View Full Version : Feds to Sue Arizona Over Immigration Law

ClydeR
07-06-2010, 10:54 AM
The lawsuit, which three sources said could be filed as early as Tuesday, will invoke for its main argument the legal doctrine of "preemption," which is based on the Constitution's supremacy clause and says that federal law trumps state statutes. Justice Department officials believe that enforcing immigration laws is a federal responsibility, the sources said.

A federal lawsuit will dramatically escalate the legal and political battle over the Arizona law, which gives police the power to question anyone if they have a "reasonable suspicion" that the person is an illegal immigrant. The measure has drawn words of condemnation from President Obama and Attorney General Eric H. Holder Jr. and opposition from civil rights groups. It also has prompted at least five other lawsuits. Arizona officials have urged the Obama administration not to sue.

More... (http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2010/07/06/AR2010070600061.html)

As early as Tuesday? That's today. Really, I'm surprised they didn't file this last Friday. If they file it early this week, it will be in the headlines all week. They must want it to be in the headlines. I can't think why, since the Arizona law is so popular.

Atlanteax
07-06-2010, 12:30 PM
Unconcerned, Obama Administration will lose.

Rinualdo
07-06-2010, 12:38 PM
As early as Tuesday? That's today. Really, I'm surprised they didn't file this last Friday. If they file it early this week, it will be in the headlines all week. They must want it to be in the headlines. I can't think why, since the Arizona law is so popular.

This has been expected and announced weeks ago. This was simply the filing of the challenge already announced.