PDA

View Full Version : Official Status

Pages : [1] 2

Drunken Durfin
04-23-2010, 07:03 PM
Progress is being made. Like I said, when it comes to the Billing Database, things are tricky and skeery.

Solomon

Hrmm...

Tilnam
04-23-2010, 08:40 PM
RSN

Bobmuhthol
04-23-2010, 09:13 PM
It's coming by the end of the month, guys.

crb
04-23-2010, 09:26 PM
It's coming by the end of the month, guys.

yes, but which month?

Amber
04-23-2010, 10:10 PM
yes, but which month?

Next month. It's ALWAYS next month.

AestheticLife
04-23-2010, 10:55 PM
$20 says they insist that Shattered was only delayed so they could release it after Monks were implemented and balanced.

That said, Gemstone: Shattered, COMING IN 2014!

Lulfas
04-24-2010, 11:13 AM
$20 says they insist that Shattered was only delayed so they could release it after Monks were implemented and balanced.

That said, Gemstone: Shattered, COMING IN 2014!

Nah, you got it backwards. Due to the "overwhelming call" for Shattered, Monks have been pushed back to meet the demands of the customers.

WRoss
04-24-2010, 12:06 PM
Nah, you got it backwards. Due to the "overwhelming call" for Shattered, Monks have been pushed back to meet the demands of the customers.

I'd agree with this.

DaCapn
04-26-2010, 01:36 AM

You'd agree with a statement containing those two qualifiers?

Jokes aside, I doubt one has anything to do with the other. It's not likely that the people who work on their billing system touch code for in-game systems or vice-versa.

morgothaod
04-28-2010, 07:06 PM
How is Shattered different than "regular" Gemstone? I know it has no GMs, but will that make much of a difference? Are you able to kill people constantly in GS or is that an offense (For example, would a GM come in and say don't harass other players)? I haven't played in a long time. I never recalled seeing the GMs do much other than assisting noobs.

Liagala
04-28-2010, 07:12 PM
Are you able to kill people constantly in GS or is that an offense (For example, would a GM come in and say don't harass other players)?

I know it has no GMs

You just answered your own question.

morgothaod
04-28-2010, 07:18 PM
If I get back in to GS, I'm debating on whether to get it or Shattered. If I come across a thief in regular Gemstone, could I kill him multiple times? If yes, why would I (or anyone else) want to get Shattered?

The real question I should have asked is how strict are the GMs in regular Gemstone? What are some of the things that you can't do?

StrayRogue
04-28-2010, 07:38 PM
You can't swear, multiple PK, act rape, or doing anything remotely non-PG13 or above.

grenthor
04-28-2010, 08:08 PM
If I get back in to GS, I'm debating on whether to get it or Shattered. If I come across a thief in regular Gemstone, could I kill him multiple times? If yes, why would I (or anyone else) want to get Shattered?

The real question I should have asked is how strict are the GMs in regular Gemstone? What are some of the things that you can't do?

go to the main gs page and look on the left for the policies section. that will answer ur questions.

Drunken Durfin
04-28-2010, 08:36 PM

In Shattered:

You can role play an evil character without having to get OOC permission for your actions.

You can script in the forge without providing Andraste masturbation fodder while she lectures you before issuing a warning.

You can tell people to fuck off when they are being douchebags...or even kill them.

The list goes on and on...

Jayvn
04-28-2010, 10:46 PM
I think I'm getting a semi anticipating shattered...

phantasm
04-28-2010, 11:25 PM
Shattered is an april fools day joke gone bad.

Asha
04-29-2010, 06:10 AM
You may be able to try acting like an evil character in Shattered but you'll be lolled at and told to fuck off dbagface.

Fallen
04-29-2010, 07:15 AM
You may be able to try acting like an evil character in Shattered but you'll be lolled at and told to fuck off dbagface.

This.

Showal
04-29-2010, 07:22 AM
You can't swear, multiple PK, act rape, or doing anything remotely non-PG13 or above.

I, for one, can not wait to act rape everyone and everything I come across. Or even just act masturbate and finish all over people or in their bags.

Monotonous
04-29-2010, 08:08 AM
I, for one, can not wait to act rape everyone and everything I come across. Or even just act masturbate and finish all over people or in their bags.
Want me to write you an AFK rapist script?

Features:
- Select favored races and sexual preference
- Favored room IDs for stalking and hiding
- A "Do Not Rape" list in case you make some friends while you're not AFK

Beguiler
04-29-2010, 08:35 AM

Features:

Okay, my coffee just got laugh-snorted on the keyboard!

Almost makes me want to sign up, just for that script..make it in both male and female rapist editions...lolz

Showal
04-29-2010, 09:26 AM

Features:

Please. I want to rape everything from the little kitten in WL to the mangy rat in Solhaven to the Elven aristocrat in Illistim.

I want to even get that little old lady that comes into town square every once in a while to sweep. I'll finally get even with those little squirrels constantly dropping acorns on my head from the tree.

Anyone who walks into the room, I want to come out of the shadows and, at the minimum, grab at their backside or chest and, at the fullest extent, full blown rape complete with fish hooks.

Drunken Durfin
04-29-2010, 01:18 PM

You obviously have a very narrow vision of what evil is. Setting my tone to dark, wearing all black and walking around making ominous statements is not how it is going to be played.

Drunken Durfin
04-29-2010, 01:21 PM

Features:

http://www.jesseshunting.com/images/motivational_surprise_butt_sex.jpg

Anebriated
04-29-2010, 01:22 PM
i see multiple assassin guilds and thieving groups in Shattered's future...

Drunken Durfin
04-29-2010, 01:23 PM

THIS!

Kitsun
04-29-2010, 01:24 PM
Please. I want to rape everything from the little kitten in WL to the mangy rat in Solhaven to the Elven aristocrat in Illistim.

I want to even get that little old lady that comes into town square every once in a while to sweep. I'll finally get even with those little squirrels constantly dropping acorns on my head from the tree.

Anyone who walks into the room, I want to come out of the shadows and, at the minimum, grab at their backside or chest and, at the fullest extent, full blown rape complete with fish hooks.

...I just cancelled all my plans of joining Shattered.

morgothaod
04-29-2010, 01:25 PM
I have a feeling Shattered will give Gemstone a bad rep. New players will come to it, only to find themselves being Pked constantly. I also see a lot more people talking out of character. Hurgnir (made up name) says, "Go fuck off you douchebag!" LOL.

Showal
04-29-2010, 01:29 PM
...I just cancelled all my plans of joining Shattered.

I'll find you in Prime.

Fallen
04-29-2010, 01:29 PM
I have a feeling Shattered will give Gemstone a bad rep. New players will come to it, only to find themselves being Pked constantly. I also see a lot more people talking out of character. Hurgnir (made up name) says, "Go fuck off you douchebag!" LOL.

New players will go to prime as that is where the free trial is offered. Shattered requires 5 dollars more than a premium account. I doubt someone testing the waters is going to pay that much right off the bat.

Drunken Durfin
04-29-2010, 01:47 PM
I totally agree that Shattered is going to be a d-bag fest for the first few weeks.

It is my hope that once the new wears off the people who are signing up just to be assholes will drift away.

Showal
04-29-2010, 01:51 PM
Really the novelty of being allowed to be a dbag probably won't last too long and eventually the environment will be settled.

Anebriated
04-29-2010, 01:53 PM
which is why itd be good to have a PC group. stick together and fight off the dbags initially. we just need to find a good area to all start in that should be relatively quiet..

morgothaod
04-29-2010, 01:55 PM
Are you able to transfer your character from Prime to Shattered?

I wonder if the community in Shattered will gang up on the troublemakers.

Bobmuhthol
04-29-2010, 02:02 PM
No transfers.

Traelin
04-29-2010, 02:24 PM
which is why itd be good to have a PC group. stick together and fight off the dbags initially. we just need to find a good area to all start in that should be relatively quiet..

It's a good thing there are no D-bags on the PC....

Bobmuhthol
04-29-2010, 02:26 PM
http://i837.photobucket.com/albums/zz296/PUNKem733/Misc-OhSnap.jpg

Drunken Durfin
04-29-2010, 02:47 PM
http://i837.photobucket.com/albums/zz296/PUNKem733/Misc-OhSnap.jpg

Jezuz Kristi that is awful.

Anebriated
04-29-2010, 03:06 PM
It's a good thing there are no D-bags on the PC....

yeah but those are OUR dbags. You think gs is full of cliques wait till shattered. Its just going to be groups of people running multi accounts, almost clan-ish. It would actually be really cool if simu took it to a new level and added a clan system where you could participate in like 5v5 matches at different levels. Re-open the gladiator games full time and add point system. Clans could get points for exp/fame/coin bonuses, players could get points towards gear/temp bonuses/enchantments/padding... I want them to do this in regular GS but ill take it in shattered. They want raise outside interest in the game? do it with regulated pvp and leaderboards. They have a great shell in place for the outside content which is what makes most pvp games so boring, but if they do the pvp right theyll have something truely special.

Showal
04-29-2010, 03:13 PM
yeah but those are OUR dbags. You think gs is full of cliques wait till shattered. Its just going to be groups of people running multi accounts, almost clan-ish. It would actually be really cool if simu took it to a new level and added a clan system where you could participate in like 5v5 matches at different levels. Re-open the gladiator games full time and add point system. Clans could get points for exp/fame/coin bonuses, players could get points towards gear/temp bonuses/enchantments/padding... I want them to do this in regular GS but ill take it in shattered. They want raise outside interest in the game? do it with regulated pvp and leaderboards. They have a great shell in place for the outside content which is what makes most pvp games so boring, but if they do the pvp right theyll have something truely special.

It's GS, not CS.

Anebriated
04-29-2010, 03:16 PM
see i would have used WoW or DAoC as the example... worked well for those two. PvP is going to happen, they might as well let people do it(which they are in shattered, just not regulated). PvP is a big draw for many games and its something GS has always shied away from. If they want to increase interest in the game its time to start considering it.

My preference would be for regular GS to just have the gladiator games running on a weekly/monthly basis. Have smaller "qualifying" matches in all the towns during the week and then have a global match on the weekend(or whenever).

StrayRogue
04-29-2010, 03:18 PM
But GS pvp involves no skill whatsoever...

Showal
04-29-2010, 03:20 PM
they have considered it. They are releasingg shattered.

Showal
04-29-2010, 03:26 PM

That's the best part about random PvP and worst part about organized PvP.

Drunken Durfin
04-29-2010, 04:27 PM

GS PvP = .x [player] <ENTER>

Makkah
04-30-2010, 03:07 PM
Closer to a week than a month, but possibly right in the middle at two weeks is a best guess.

~Sirina

So... yea.

AnticorRifling
04-30-2010, 03:15 PM
I wish I could give my clients time frames like this.

Suppa Hobbit Mage
04-30-2010, 03:16 PM

Really? I think it'll have a small base of users and that's about it. If 100 people log in at once I'd be surprised.

Makkah
04-30-2010, 03:21 PM
I wish I could give my clients time frames like this.

I'd say you do something a little more important than run a small-time games company...

Traelin
04-30-2010, 05:52 PM
They act surprised that people are pissed about the delay and then joke about it. It's no wonder Simu is in the position they are in. They have absolutely no tact in dealing with their customers.

Monotonous
05-01-2010, 01:33 AM
They act surprised that people are pissed about the delay and then joke about it. It's no wonder Simu is in the position they are in. They have absolutely no tact in dealing with their customers.
It doesn't help that their customer base is, by definition, socially awkward introverts. Nobody has paid $5 to play Shattered yet. If some chuddy customer's panties are in a knot over this they should really get the fuck outside, enjoy life and stop worrying about inconsequential bullshit.

I hate nerds.

SpiffyJr
05-01-2010, 01:38 AM
I hate nerds.

Says the guy posting on a text-based RPG forum.

I hate hypocrites.

morgothaod
05-01-2010, 07:19 AM
Says the guy posting on a text-based RPG forum.

I hate hypocrites.

He's a well-rounded nerd.

Sean of the Thread
05-01-2010, 07:44 AM
Is this shit being implemented or?

I may come back to play it.

Makkah
05-01-2010, 12:47 PM
Is this shit being implemented or?

I may come back to play it.

Can you read or not? God damn.

Sean of the Thread
05-01-2010, 12:58 PM
Can you read or not? God damn.

I breezed over play.net and didn't find shit thus why I was asking.

Dipshit.

Tilnam
05-01-2010, 01:11 PM
RSN

Mighty Nikkisaurus
05-01-2010, 01:48 PM
Tell them I love them.

:rofl:

Makkah
05-01-2010, 02:26 PM
I breezed over play.net and didn't find shit thus why I was asking.

Dipshit.

So did you or did you not read this fucking thread before you posted?

Monotonous
05-03-2010, 06:35 PM
Lots of progress was made over the last week.

Web folks are working to get the game added to the master list on the website for "Go Play!" calls and working on adding the artwork and the disclaimer when you try to sign up for a subscription. Testing of the Billing DB updates should start tonight or tomorrow.

Solomon
:bananahit:

nub
05-03-2010, 09:00 PM
So did you or did you not read this fucking thread before you posted?

So in all this questioning you could have answered... did someone call you a bad name today and you haven't gotten over it yet?

No, Sean, it has not been implemented yet.

Makkah
05-03-2010, 09:12 PM
Today? Probably not. I posted that 2 days ago though. So apparently you are unable to read as well.

TheThirdEye
05-03-2010, 11:33 PM
So, hey, is this shit happening or what???!!! :spaz:

Celephais
05-03-2010, 11:42 PM
So, hey, is this shit happening or what???!!! :spaz:

... are you trying to look like a bot?

TheThirdEye
05-04-2010, 12:08 AM
... are you trying to look like a bot?

Sure, why not...do I win a prize if I fool anyone?

HSB
05-04-2010, 07:44 PM
FWIW - Mike in Billing says that the Billing side of things is a go, and therefore he estimates 'any day now'.

He checked for me while handling a few other things, said that he knew they'd been pushing for it, and that he'd been involved with a whole series of tests of the billing side of things, but that now it looks like that's all set, and as far as he knew that was the last real obstacle. \runonsentenceinsanity

Drunken Durfin
05-04-2010, 08:02 PM
One wonders what the hold-up is if that was the last hurdle.

HSB
05-04-2010, 08:07 PM
One wonders what the hold-up is if that was the last hurdle.

As someone who refuses to read the officials, didn't one of the recent posters say that they were working on the marketing side of things? The logo, the splash page, etc etc etc? Also, I've been wondering if they're really going to just flip the switch on a Wednesday midmorning sometime (for example), or if they're going to announce it, let people get amped for a particular date and time, and then open the floodgates on a Friday around 5PM EST or something. I could see the latter option more than the former, though it makes the baby jesus cry.

Drunken Durfin
05-04-2010, 08:45 PM
As someone who refuses to read the officials, didn't one of the recent posters say that they were working on the marketing side of things? The logo, the splash page, etc etc etc? Also, I've been wondering if they're really going to just flip the switch on a Wednesday midmorning sometime (for example), or if they're going to announce it, let people get amped for a particular date and time, and then open the floodgates on a Friday around 5PM EST or something. I could see the latter option more than the former, though it makes the baby jesus cry.

My posts and Solomon's response from earlier today:

Are we getting an official "separate but equal" website, like http://www.play.net/gsShattered or something?

I'm not sure what would be on that website that isn't on the main site, but no.

Solomon

I have seen nothing whatsoever on the officials about "logo, the splash page, etc" and I have read every post in the Shattered folder over the past few weeks. If I missed that one someone please link me to it.

SanGreal
05-04-2010, 08:52 PM
My posts and Solomon's response from earlier today:

I have seen nothing whatsoever on the officials about "logo, the splash page, etc" and I have read every post in the Shattered folder over the past few weeks. If I missed that one someone please link me to it.

Lots of progress was made over the last week.

Web folks are working to get the game added to the master list on the website for "Go Play!" calls and working on adding the artwork and the disclaimer when you try to sign up for a subscription. Testing of the Billing DB updates should start tonight or tomorrow.

Solomon

https://www.play.net/forums/messages.asp?forum=109&category=1&topic=2&message=124

It was posted above too

doughal
05-04-2010, 10:27 PM
The elven nations and about every other major event I can think of all opened on Friday nights.

I'd bet on either this Friday or next Friday.

Drunken Durfin
05-07-2010, 04:52 PM
The elven nations and about every other major event I can think of all opened on Friday nights.

I'd bet on either this Friday or next Friday.

From the officials:

Nothing will ever go live on a Friday. Just FYI.

Solomon

ThadJarvis
05-07-2010, 08:52 PM
Shattered shows up for me now, but of course, there's no subscription option.

SpiffyJr
05-07-2010, 09:13 PM
Damn them! Don't put the server in there as a cock tease.

Drunken Durfin
05-07-2010, 09:45 PM
Aaaarrrrggghhhhh!!!!!

http://drunkendurfin.webs.com/aaarrrggghhh.png

ThadJarvis
05-07-2010, 09:51 PM
Aaaarrrrggghhhhh!!!!!

http://drunkendurfin.webs.com/aaarrrggghhh.png

I wonder how long they will leave it like that until they let us subscribe....

morgothaod
05-08-2010, 08:49 AM
What is the difference between GS IV and GS IV Prime? I thought they were the same thing.

Celephais
05-08-2010, 09:05 AM
What is the difference between GS IV and GS IV Prime? I thought they were the same thing.

Did your brain really shut off after it finished reading prime? Keep going, you almost made it to the end of the line.

Monotonous
05-08-2010, 10:52 AM
Did your brain really shut off after it finished reading prime? Keep going, you almost made it to the end of the line.
Sufferers of Selective Aphasia often struggle to overcom

morgothaod
05-08-2010, 12:26 PM
I don't play the game so I don't know the difference. Inform me guys

Showal
05-08-2010, 12:34 PM
I don't play the game so I don't know the difference. Inform me guys

And I thought your signature was a joke.

morgothaod
05-08-2010, 12:42 PM
And I thought your signature was a joke.

I thought the same about yours!

Showal
05-08-2010, 12:52 PM
I thought the same about yours!

Good one!!

mgoddess
05-08-2010, 01:01 PM
It's not "GS IV" versus "GS IV Prime"... if you'd read the whole thing, it's "GemStone IV" versus "GemStone IV Prime TEST".

See what I did there? I add the TEST to the end, and it all just makes sense, doesn't it?

Showal
05-08-2010, 02:09 PM
It's not "GS IV" versus "GS IV Prime"... if you'd read the whole thing, it's "GemStone IV" versus "GemStone IV Prime TEST".

See what I did there? I add the TEST to the end, and it all just makes sense, doesn't it?

That logic only comes towards the end of reading the whole of play.net. He's not gotten there yet.

morgothaod
05-08-2010, 11:21 PM
Whatever, GS IV and GS IV Prime test... whats the difference between the two games?

Makkah
05-08-2010, 11:25 PM
Prime test is a server used for select players to alpha/beta test shit. It's open like 0.05% of the time. Prime... well that's the regular game.

Liagala
05-08-2010, 11:46 PM
Whatever, GS IV and GS IV Prime test... whats the difference between the two games?

Really?

One of them is GSIV. One of them is a test area. Do you know the difference between a game and a test? Maybe tomorrow we can work on the difference between a cat and a kangaroo!

morgothaod
05-09-2010, 10:32 AM
Prime test is a server used for select players to alpha/beta test shit. It's open like 0.05% of the time. Prime... well that's the regular game.

Thanks, repped.

IorakeWarhammer
05-09-2010, 04:24 PM
this will be cool. i might play it but no one will know who i am :P

grossm
05-10-2010, 09:36 AM
Until your new character starts talking, that is.

Makkah
05-10-2010, 03:46 PM
http://www.play.net/forums/messages.asp?forum=109&category=1&topic=2&message=148

Currently doing more web work and making sure that GM and NPC names get reserved.

Billing stuff is going well, from what I've been told. No errors and no weird charges showing up on the test accounts.

Solomon

Come fight me in the arena:
http://la-bubbita.mybrute.com

Probably still a week off or so.

Asha
05-10-2010, 03:48 PM
Until your new character starts talking, that is.

roflmao.
Fucking perfectly said.

Monotonous
05-10-2010, 04:01 PM
Currently doing more web work and making sure that GM and NPC names get reserved.

Billing stuff is going well, from what I've been told. No errors and no weird charges showing up on the test accounts.

Solomon
FUCK! There goes 4 out of my top 10 name picks.

This is bullshit, man! We were promised anything goes!

ThadJarvis
05-11-2010, 07:41 PM
Still not live? Nice...

SpiffyJr
05-11-2010, 07:49 PM
Nope, probably won't be for another week. They have web stuff to do (add a few hyperlinks) so we know that's a good day per link.

ThadJarvis
05-11-2010, 07:56 PM
Nope, probably won't be for another week. They have web stuff to do (add a few hyperlinks) so we know that's a good day per link.

Damn.. My heart goes out to the brave men and women of Simutronics who have the daunting task of adding hyperlinks...

doughal
05-11-2010, 08:52 PM
Don't forget the awesomely difficult task of coping all the code from one page and changing up the text and graphics; that ought to take weeks at the very least!

waywardgs
05-11-2010, 09:56 PM
They have to dupe some sucker into doing it for free, and that takes time. Aren't you familiar with simu's business model?

SpiffyJr
05-11-2010, 10:16 PM
They have to dupe some sucker into doing it for free, and that takes time. Aren't you familiar with simu's business model?

I'd have done it for free at this point. I don't know ASP but I'm sure I could learn it fast enough.

raith
05-13-2010, 02:40 PM
so gemstone shattered is going to happen.... i got an idea to start getting more people to play the game again lower the fricken price your paying for 1 text based charector what you get 7 or so for a fully graphical games base account. of course im not the one paying the price and lets not go into plat and premium costs.

hope this opens a small can of worms at least

caelric
05-13-2010, 02:47 PM
hope this opens a small can of worms at least

Wow! You're the first person who's mentioned lowering the price!!!

Why didn't I think of that!!!111!1!!111!!!!oneone!!

SpiffyJr
05-13-2010, 02:54 PM
1 character = $20.00. You can get 1 with some change or, if you go old school, 2 MMORPG subscriptions per month. Yah, $20.00 is high, but so is $15.00 for the age of this game.

Then again, every time I go out to a bar it's $50.00-$200.00 easy. Pick your poison.

Methais
05-13-2010, 03:05 PM
Then again, every time I go out to a bar it's $50.00-$200.00 easy. Pick your poison.

Nobody ever got a BJ from a chick in a wheelchair in GS though.

Or did they?

I'M JUST ASKING QUESTIONS!
http://www.mediaite.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/11/cartman_11-12b.jpg

raith
05-13-2010, 03:12 PM
i know im not the first and i wont be the last but maybe just maybe some one at simu will listen one day maybe not

Methais
05-13-2010, 03:15 PM
maybe some one at simu will listen one day

http://images.icanhascheezburger.com/completestore/2008/7/19/rofl128609620133627635.jpg

ThadJarvis
05-13-2010, 04:17 PM
Any bets on when it'll open? I'm betting we're still a week or so away.

Showal
05-13-2010, 05:06 PM
maybe. Just maybe. One day.

Lulfas
05-13-2010, 05:17 PM
1 character = $20.00. You can get 1 with some change or, if you go old school, 2 MMORPG subscriptions per month. Yah, $20.00 is high, but so is $15.00 for the age of this game.

Solomon broke it down nicely. While lowering the costs may bring additional players, it's a day 1 cut in revenue. Without a guarantee it will bring new characters, there is no reason for them to do it.

Celephais
05-13-2010, 05:39 PM
Solomon broke it down nicely. While lowering the costs may bring additional players, it's a day 1 cut in revenue. Without a guarantee it will bring new characters, there is no reason for them to do it.

/facepalm

That mentality also explains exactly why they don't advertise.

SpiffyJr
05-13-2010, 06:08 PM
maybe. Just maybe. One day.

No releases on Friday so next week around Wednesday at the earliest.

ThadJarvis
05-13-2010, 06:30 PM
Something tells me we won't see Shattered next week either.

Showal
05-13-2010, 06:32 PM
No releases on Friday so next week around Wednesday at the earliest.

My post didn't mean one day from now I expect Shattered out.

Monotonous
05-13-2010, 06:55 PM

... He actually said that?

That's one of the most short-sighted, ham-fisted, foot-shooting mentalities I've ever heard of from an organization which portends to want to make money.

After a long slow decline like we've seen in the past decade, refusing to even TRY to bring in new players will guarantee the death of Gemstone. It isn't just stupid -- it's also self-destructive cowardice from a business perspective. By doing this they aren't even taking a risk for continued success. They assure a total failure eventually without question.

Kranar
05-13-2010, 08:37 PM
Wow... reading through this thread just reminded me why I quit playing Simu related games in the first place.

A game that probably will be a month or two late because it takes that long to make a DATABASE billing change!?!? And to top it off from Simu's own statements will have less involvement than the normal server, despite costing more money. I think I'll be passing on Shattered after all. Paying a premium price for a crappy product that can't even get a decent developer to make a change to a database isn't exactly my thing.

SpiffyJr
05-13-2010, 09:20 PM
Wow... reading through this thread just reminded me why I quit playing Simu related games in the first place.

A game that probably will be a month or two late because it takes that long to make a DATABASE billing change!?!? And to top it off from Simu's own statements will have less involvement than the normal server, despite costing more money. I think I'll be passing on Shattered after all. Paying a premium price for a crappy product that can't even get a decent developer to make a change to a database isn't exactly my thing.

Sad isn't it? What's more sad is I'm actually waiting for it to come out. I guess I think it will save what little hope I have left for Simutronics.

ThadJarvis
05-13-2010, 10:42 PM
I agree with what someone said awhile back. Shattered may have been an April Fools joke gone bad. Now, i'm beginning to wonder if the delay is a way to gauge how many people are truly interested, as Simu seems to want to avoid ANY risk.

Methais
05-13-2010, 10:47 PM
I agree with what someone said awhile back. Shattered may have been an April Fools joke gone bad. Now, i'm beginning to wonder if the delay is a way to gauge how many people are truly interested, as Simu seems to want to avoid ANY risk.

If they back out of Shattered now (I don't see it happening, but I'll pretend anyway), I'll be backing out of Prime.

ThadJarvis
05-13-2010, 10:59 PM
If they back out of Shattered now (I don't see it happening, but I'll pretend anyway), I'll be backing out of Prime.

I feel exactly the same way. The problem is that, at least in my opinion, Simu has never cared for its customers and does nothing to promote loyalty. They know that the core players are addicted.

Right now, we are experiencing the same problem that we experienced in the 90's and early 00's... Broken promises. Should we be surprised at all that Shattered isn't released? I wouldn't be surprised for a moment if we didn't see Shattered until June or July.

SpiffyJr
05-13-2010, 11:01 PM
I feel exactly the same way. The problem is that, at least in my opinion, Simu has never cared for its customers and does nothing to promote loyalty. They know that the core players are addicted.

Right now, we are experiencing the same problem that we experienced in the 90's and early 00's... Broken promises. Should we be surprised at all that Shattered isn't released? I wouldn't be surprised for a moment if we didn't see Shattered until June or July.

If that's the case it'll be easier to leave. I've already liquidated everything on prime.

Methais
05-13-2010, 11:03 PM

I never bought the "should be out in a month" thing to begin with. As much as they might have intended that to happen, they're just too inept to get anything out on time, even disregarding lolmonks.

I'm guessing late July/August is when it'll come out, and it'll stop crashing every 10 seconds by October.

ThadJarvis
05-13-2010, 11:05 PM
I never bought the "should be out in a month" thing to begin with. As much as they might have intended that to happen, they're just too inept to get anything out on time, even disregarding lolmonks.

I'm guessing late July/August is when it'll come out, and it'll stop crashing every 10 seconds by October.

But ... But ... It'll be out sooner than soon!!! :rofl:

waywardgs
05-13-2010, 11:05 PM
I have it on good authority that shattered is RSN. I mean monks... RSN. 2004 at the latest.

Mathari
05-13-2010, 11:21 PM
I think it's extremely unlikely that they'll "back out" on Shattered, and I doubt that it'll be that long until it's out. I'm hoping for next week. Solomon seems to be giving too many "we're almost there"-type updates for it to be something that they're not really close to offering, and definitely too many for it to be something that they're considering backing out on.

I don't think anyone posted this one, for example (at least in this thread), so I'll post it just in case:

http://www.play.net/forums/messages.asp?forum=109&category=1&topic=3&message=270

We're down to the last couple of details now.

Final system/world sync has been done, Website stuff seems to be set (we'll know more tomorrow), and Billing stuff seems to be working properly.

Current task is finalizing the system that will preserve "reserved" names, to prevent folks from rolling up names they can't have (like GM or Host names or names of the Arkati), which we should be done with today and able to test tonight or tomorrow.

Once that's done, it's checking for loose ends and we're good to go. Sounds like the current ETA is sooner than soon.

Solomon

Come fight me in the arena:
http://la-bubbita.mybrute.com
This was posted yesterday afternoon.

Drunken Durfin
05-13-2010, 11:26 PM

I was on my way out anyway. The lure of Shattered is the only reason I am still hanging around. Still, my patience is running thinner each day.

Lulfas
05-14-2010, 12:55 AM
/facepalm

That mentality also explains exactly why they don't advertise.

To be fair, advertising is slightly different. Advertising is a one-time expense. If it fails, you're out of the instant cash it cost you.

Reducing the character slot is a permanent reduction of income. You know that from then on you'll make (x*$2.50, where x is the number of extra character slots on normal accounts) without a guarantee of getting at least an equal amount of new accounts to cover the cost.

The not advertising (Especially on MUD websites, at the very least) is much harder to justify, imo.

Lulfas
05-14-2010, 12:59 AM
... He actually said that?

That's one of the most short-sighted, ham-fisted, foot-shooting mentalities I've ever heard of from an organization which portends to want to make money.

After a long slow decline like we've seen in the past decade, refusing to even TRY to bring in new players will guarantee the death of Gemstone. It isn't just stupid -- it's also self-destructive cowardice from a business perspective. By doing this they aren't even taking a risk for continued success. They assure a total failure eventually without question.

Just realized no one ever quoted the post. Let me see if I can get it blocked into a quote box nicely.

Dgry:

I wanted to start by saying that with or without marketing experience, you have some good, valid ideas. There are, however, some issues that make most of them untenable, at least for now.

<<I'm ok with the $15 a month baseline cost, but the extra character slots cost rubs me the wrong way. I believe they need to seriously rethink the billing options. There are a lot of things they could do, and a lot more money to be had, by thinking outside of the standard monthly fee box.>>

The problem is, with most of these outside the box ideas, the only thing that's guaranteed is that we'll lose revenue. Lowering subscription fees (and I know you said you're ok with the current price, but for those who aren't) might increase subscribers, but it would only for sure lower revenue.

Adding free character slots might increase subscriptions (I'm not convinced it would) and catch us up to "the industry standard" these days, but it would only for sure lower revenue because those folks who are paying for them now wouldn't have to pay for them any more.

<<If they created $5 monthly accounts that only allowed 1 character that was limited to reaching level 20, they'd probably get so many subscriptions - while retaining current account levels, that they'd have to create a new billing system to handle it.>>

Probably, but yes, it would require large-scale billing changes, as well as in-game changes to allow for that and we're back to the fact that it would only probably add some revenue.

<<If they created a new $20 account that allowed 10 free characters - but no premium perks, people like me would jump on the additional cost accounts.>>

And people who are currently paying for extra character slots or, worse yet, some folks who were paying for Premium to get the discounted extra slots, would suddenly see their bill decrease when they didn't have to pay for those slots any more. Good for them, but not the best for revenue unless I can guarantee that we'd actually see an increase, which I can't do.

<<If they created an ultra-premium account that gave double premium points/rewards each month/year and free admission to ticket events, I've no doubt people would jump all over that.>>

That's something we've been wanting for a while now and these are a lot more possible, although they're still not very easy given our current situation with our tools.

<<Also, where's my prepaid subscription options? I'd think there's a ton of premium players out there that would kill to pre-pay the next 3 years to instantly get their premium points so be able to enhance their gear and use it over the next 3 years.>>

Those would be great, but again, the current billing system doesn't currently handle it and as we're seeing from adding Shattered without the original person who designed and wrote the billing system, it's not the easiest thing in the world to deal with. We're getting there, but we really need someone devoted to it and not just working on it as an emergency side project.

Solomon

Methais
05-14-2010, 01:25 AM
What a fucking idiot.

Methais
05-14-2010, 01:30 AM
If they had any sense they'd get in with facebook and either make it free up to X level or make its revenue based on microtransactions like almost everything else on there that makes $47283094720347284 a month.

Monotonous
05-14-2010, 07:47 AM
The problem is, with most of these outside the box ideas, the only thing that's guaranteed is that we'll lose revenue. Lowering subscription fees (and I know you said you're ok with the current price, but for those who aren't) might increase subscribers, but it would only for sure lower revenue.
This is the key point of Solomon's post. They aren't willing to try "outside the box" ideas because they see it as a risk to revenue, and apparently ANYTHING other than what they've been doing for over 10 years is "outside the box". This would be completely fine if the current system was functional, but it isn't. Anyone who has played for a while can tell you that the game has for all intents and purposes completely tanked. It doesn't matter that it's a MUD or that it's old -- it has a timeless appeal to a mature, well-educated, fantasy-roleplay demographic that has only increased in demand since the '90s.

I mean.. It's their business, jobs and income they're risking here so I guess I should just mind my own, but my education in marketing and economics makes me cringe whenever I see this type of thing from a company I like. I wanted to throw up after reading him say "Day One Revenue Loss". It is a CLASSIC textbook fallacy made out of short-sighted fear of trying something new. You cannot pick up a marketing book that doesn't dedicate a large percentage of print to the topic.

They are killing the goose to get one golden egg instead of taking care of it so that it may lay hundreds.

Nuc
05-14-2010, 08:07 AM
We should just start a fund and buy the game out from them and turn it into a real money maker. How much could it be worth? Judging from the pictures of when they relocated their equipment there appears to be little to no value in the hardware. People like Solomon should not make business decisions.

Monotonous
05-14-2010, 10:59 AM
We should just start a fund and buy the game out from them and turn it into a real money maker. How much could it be worth? Judging from the pictures of when they relocated their equipment there appears to be little to no value in the hardware. People like Solomon should not make business decisions.
People have tried to buy it out in the past which would have been spectacular for the game. They always refused to sell.

I like to imagine the relationship between Simutronics and Gemstone like this:

A backwoods psychopathic hillbilly watches with idle indifference as the yellow Labrador Retriever that has been his close companion for twenty-two years struggles limbless and bleeding on the dirt floor of a rusted corrugated tin roof shack. The man takes a sip from his Milwaukee Brew, then forces a thin stream of beer between the gap in his front teeth, spraying the dog with warm fluid to see how it will react.

HSB
05-14-2010, 11:21 AM
People have tried to buy it out in the past which would have been spectacular for the game. They always refused to sell.

I didn't realize this... I thought it had just been rumored...

ElvenFury
05-14-2010, 11:28 AM
I didn't realize this... I thought it had just been rumored...

Yeah, it would have been awesome. They were going to bring dragons into the game, and give everyone a capped "brother" or "sister". It's such a shame it didn't pan out!

Celephais
05-14-2010, 12:20 PM
People have tried to buy it out ...

Um... really now? I'd love to see some info on where people have tried to buy it out.

Methais
05-14-2010, 12:24 PM
Nobody has tried to buy shit. Closest it's ever come to that is some angry fat kid with rich parents throwing a fit after getting banned, probably by Andraste, about how he's gonna buy simu and fire all the GMs starting with Andraste and then roll sorcerers back to when they pwned and make GS the super duper cool game it used to be like back in the old days, as fat kid has been playing GS since before the Internet so he knows what he's talking about.

RichardCranium
05-14-2010, 12:40 PM
If Seany D's acting career hadn't taken off I think he was going to. Man, that would have been great.

ThadJarvis
05-14-2010, 01:55 PM
I wonder if Solomon will actually give us an update today...

Traelin
05-14-2010, 02:13 PM
I'm done with SIMU, this was the straw that broke the camel's back for me. Between the snide comments in posts, their complete ignorance of understanding the basics of customer satisfaction and their ineptitude to release anything in a timely manner has ruined them indefinitely for me. The only unfortunate thing now is that it's not even worth cashing out anymore considering what you get for characters in Prime.

Drunken Durfin
05-14-2010, 02:46 PM
I wonder if Solomon will actually give us an update today...

Kinda...

<<I'm still trying to figure out why you wouldn't do a Friday release for a product which will receive no GM support.>>

Because if something goes wrong with Billing or Access, it could affect every single product and every single customer. That sort of thing needs to be handled during the week when people are around and available.

Solomon

SpiffyJr
05-14-2010, 04:25 PM
Kinda...

Like I said, good thing they didn't put a novice on the billing database. You know, the one thing where all hell could break lose if done improperly.

Deathravin
05-14-2010, 05:00 PM
You toss your billing dude and main infrastructure dude at their desks all weekend, and put the rest of their teams on call, and release on Friday afternoon much to the delight of all.

Done and Done.

caelric
05-14-2010, 05:15 PM
Based on what Solomon said earlier, why? Given that there is no 100% ironclad guarantee that opening Shattered today, rather than next week will make them more money, why pay the overtime.

Note: I don't agree with this decision, but based on their complete aversion to any risk whatsoever, that's the right decision to make. It's dumb, retarded, and lacks any sense whatsoever, unless you subscribe to their total risk aversion.

SpiffyJr
What if you're billing dude is an intern and can only work 16 hours a week?

Drunken Durfin
You toss your billing dude and main infrastructure dude at their desks all weekend, and put the rest of their teams on call, and release on Friday afternoon much to the delight of all.

Done and Done.

Would require Simu to actually spend some money. You're so silly.

SpiffyJr
05-14-2010, 05:25 PM
Would require Simu to actually spend some money. You're so silly.

Spending money to make some! Feh, what kinda crap you tryin' ta pull boy?

Deathravin
05-14-2010, 05:31 PM
They probably aren't making much more money releasing on Friday than Monday. Certainly not enough to cover the salaries of the people they'd have to pull in.

It's just customer satisfaction.

Deathravin
05-14-2010, 05:46 PM
> I guess my business model and ethic is different than theirs. Wonder how that's been working out for them...

Story time! At lunch today I went to a random joint to eat. I looked over their lunch menu and nothing was grilled and most everything was fried.

Owner: "What can we do for ya?"
Me: "Nothing grilled today, eh?"
Owner: "Nope, but if you got a few minutes we'll go in the back and grill you a piece of chicken if you like."
Me: "Sounds great"
Owner: "Anything with it?"
Me: "Erm, well, uh..."
Owner: "I can whip up some black bean salsa..." (clearly understanding I'm looking to eat healthy)
Me: "Sure, that would be great!"

Moral: The owner went out of his way to make the customer (me) happy. I paid a premium (33% more than a regular meal) for the extra service BUT I immediately went to work and complemented them to everyone around. They made MORE money and FREE advertising (via word of mouth) for a few minutes of extra work. It's no wonder this particular eatery is highly recommended where I'm from.

Simu has been serving the same 3 meals:

A turkey sandwich on Rye with lettuce, pickles and mayo.
A bowl of chicken noodle soup.
and A slice of apple pie.

For 20 years.
Sure they change where the turkey comes from or the grower of the chicken. Sometimes they'll even make the sandwich in a different order or forget the celery in the soup, but it's been the same.

If you want something else, "NO FOOD FOR YOU". If you try to eat faster than their 1 bite per 10 minute rule, somebody drops from the ceiling and kicks you squa in the nuts. They'll even promise to put ice cream on the pie next week!... ... for 12 years...

But the last thing they want is customer satisfaction. And heaven FORBID if they get a wild hair to put up a fantastic new breakfast menu. They'll scrap that because money gets tight, but they'll sell the menu printing machine they developed... watch other people print fantastic and beautiful menus with it...

more simu analogies! They make me smile...

Deathravin
05-14-2010, 05:52 PM
To be fair, they did give us Shattered to begin with. Announcing it in an customer taunting and blatantly teasing manner, and releasing it 2-4 weeks after they said they would (probably some kind of record for them, although I do write this pre-release).

But they're giving us a new option for the Turkey Sandwich. Pay more and you can eat it as fast as you want. That should be worth something. And yet, I'm still frustrated by their methods.

They could probably offer me a solid gold brick and I'd bitch about it being so heavy.

doughal
05-14-2010, 08:48 PM
That's not quite what Solomon said. He said he was all for micro-tranactions and other innovations, he just wouldn't make any change to the current model. He also hasn't said that there are any real plans to implement the MT model since that would cost money. So they are saying sure we'd love to have all that new shiny stuff, we're just not willing to do anything to make it happen.

Of course that doesn't mean they won't do anything, they just aren't going to devote the resources to make it happen in anything remotely like a timely fashion. We'll probably have MT about the time every other game has moved on two or three more generations of business models.

SpiffyJr
05-14-2010, 09:44 PM
Since I've been such an a-hole I figured I'd throw a few tidbits out there to show I still care.

1) Google Adwords is an AMAZING source of cheap cheap advertising. For $25.00 you can get a ton of potential leads. Google Adwords is exceptional because you are only charged when someone CLICKS ON YOUR AD. You only get charged when your advertising works. http://adwords.google.com/

2) Search engine optimization. I know you've heard it but you're website is not doing its job. A little work could go a long way on increasing your ranking in search engines. For example, a quick Google search on "text based rpg" didn't have you listed on the first five pages. If you're not near there a potential customer is not ever going to see you. You also do not show up for "mud", "text mud", "mud rpg", "roleplaying game", or anything else I could come up with. In short, unless the customer specifically knows the name of one of your games YOU ARE NOT GOING TO BE FOUND. Try these links for some quick tips: http://www.mikes-marketing-tools.com/marketing-tips/search-engine-rankings.html http://ezinearticles.com/?5-Quick-SEO-Tips-For-Better-Rankings-in-2010&id=3653629.

3) Start a blog. One of the most popular sources for information now days is blogs. Search engines love new content and one of the easiest ways to produce it is through a blog. If you don't want to hassle with setup use Blogger or Wordpress and have it hosted for you in a few minutes. http://www.blogger.com http://www.wordpress.com

4) Use social networking to your advantage. I see you already have Twitter/Facebook accounts, which is good. What's bad is that your Facebook page has 12 "likes" and you haven't Tweeted in two weeks. Hell, my Blitzaroo Facebook page has 25 likes and I only sent out a single email. Social networks are awesome for viral marketing - but only if you use them!

5) ASP sucks. Personal preference, I'm a PHP guy. :)

There, a few quick tips from a professional web developer. If I'm going to spew my dislikes the least I could do is attempt to help in anyway I can.

There, don't say I didn't try to help. They could do steps 1-4 and it wouldn't take much effort (and virtually no $$$).

JohnDoe
05-14-2010, 10:23 PM
Originally Posted by crosspost CKSGX22
Since I've been such an a-hole I figured I'd throw a few tidbits out there to show I still care.

1) Google Adwords is an AMAZING source of cheap cheap advertising. For $25.00 you can get a ton of potential leads. Google Adwords is exceptional because you are only charged when someone CLICKS ON YOUR AD. You only get charged when your advertising works. http://adwords.google.com/

2) Search engine optimization. I know you've heard it but you're website is not doing its job. A little work could go a long way on increasing your ranking in search engines. For example, a quick Google search on "text based rpg" didn't have you listed on the first five pages. If you're not near there a potential customer is not ever going to see you. You also do not show up for "mud", "text mud", "mud rpg", "roleplaying game", or anything else I could come up with. In short, unless the customer specifically knows the name of one of your games YOU ARE NOT GOING TO BE FOUND. Try these links for some quick tips: http://www.mikes-marketing-tools.com...-rankings.html http://ezinearticles.com/?5-Quick-SE...010&id=3653629.

3) Start a blog. One of the most popular sources for information now days is blogs. Search engines love new content and one of the easiest ways to produce it is through a blog. If you don't want to hassle with setup use Blogger or Wordpress and have it hosted for you in a few minutes. http://www.blogger.com http://www.wordpress.com

4) Use social networking to your advantage. I see you already have Twitter/Facebook accounts, which is good. What's bad is that your Facebook page has 12 "likes" and you haven't Tweeted in two weeks. Hell, my Blitzaroo Facebook page has 25 likes and I only sent out a single email. Social networks are awesome for viral marketing - but only if you use them!

5) ASP sucks. Personal preference, I'm a PHP guy.

There, a few quick tips from a professional web developer. If I'm going to spew my dislikes the least I could do is attempt to help in anyway I can.

There, don't say I didn't try to help. They could do steps 1-4 and it wouldn't take much effort (and virtually no $$$).

Few more ideas on ways to increase the customer base/revenue in this post. Quote below. http://forum.gsplayers.com/showthread.php?p=627440#post627440

Did this whole thing go anywhere? All the constant chatter of declining GS population and discussions regarding lack of advertising, I was hopeful that we'd see something out of this by now.

I'm not in the "GS is dying" camp, but I think doing minimal, strategic advertising would definitely bring in some more players. After doing some quick research, here are a few suggestions. Again, this is based on VERY little research:

1) Advertise or become a sponsor of the following MUD related websites (these are just a few, there are many others):
www.mudconnect.com - Alexa rank of 125,736 and 75k registered users
www.gameogre.com - Alexa rank of 19.040
www.mudmagic.com - Alexa rank of 128,887
www.topmudsites.com - Alexa rank of 85,955

2) Repartner with Zugg Software (makers of zMUD and the new cMUD)
Thread on zuggsoft.com forums regarding the recent state of the contract with Simutronics here (http://forums.zuggsoft.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=27890&start=25).

Most of the MUDs out there are free and many people use zMUD to connect to them. Simutronics should have a little bit of a budget available (more than free MUDs) to negotiate with Zugg and get icons to DR and GS featured on the top level window(s) of cMUD or zMUD. You'd think that would be a great way to bring additional MUD players into their revenue stream. It'd be easy and I'm sure cheap enough to try out for a year and track the number of new players being via this advertising.

3) Use Google or another ad service to do some cheap (set the daily bduget low) targetted advertising. That'd make great use of our slogans. Looks like they are doing some minimal AdSense advertising, but the only place I see it is on playershops.com. Why advertise on www.playershops.com when you know all the people using that site are already paying customers of Simutronics?

Iron Realms (publish the games Achaea, Aetolia, Lusternia, etc.) advertise in similar ways and, from what I've read over the past few years, are profitable companies. There's a few other MUDs that have pay models and also advertise.

If done the right way, marketing these games could be done for little cost with what could be a substantial gain. So what's up? Many people responded here and on the play.net forums with slogans. FREE ideas. Have they been used?

Edited to add PS - check out the comments in the Zugg forum posting regarding the building of StormFront and how the money invested in that interface could be leveraged in other ways. Granted, there are advantages to having a proprietary system, but it's a good point.

SpiffyJr
05-14-2010, 11:11 PM
Did you post that anywhere they'll read it? If not I can x-post it for you.

Nuc
05-15-2010, 02:38 PM
To be fair, they did give us Shattered to begin with. Announcing it in an customer taunting and blatantly teasing manner, and releasing it 2-4 weeks after they said they would (probably some kind of record for them, although I do write this pre-release).

But they're giving us a new option for the Turkey Sandwich. Pay more and you can eat it as fast as you want. That should be worth something. And yet, I'm still frustrated by their methods.

They could probably offer me a solid gold brick and I'd bitch about it being so heavy.

They haven't actually released it yet. This could be like demonic summoning from GS3. Just keep waiting and waiting

Deathravin
05-15-2010, 03:05 PM
They haven't actually released it yet. This could be like demonic summoning from GS3. Just keep waiting and waiting

Monks, Savants, list goes on and on.

Lets see if we can come up with a big list of general Simu Flaws
1) No advertising.
- They can't do things they want because they have no money.
2) Not knowing how to keep their mouths shut
- When they come up with an idea, they need to learn how to shut the fuck up about it. Be apple. Keep us guessing. When we know what's going on, we now expect it. Should only announce it a week after it's done, and release it one-two weeks later. Nobody's any the wiser, but everybody's a LOT happier.

JohnDoe
05-16-2010, 12:12 PM
Did you post that anywhere they'll read it? If not I can x-post it for you.

Just here and I think I may have emailed it to them a while ago. Feel free to cross post.

Makkah
05-16-2010, 03:57 PM
http://www.play.net/forums/messages.asp?forum=109&category=1&topic=3&message=339

<<How do things look for a release this week? Any ETA?>>

Everything I have indicates that this week might be it. I'm still waiting on final confirmation about the staff/NPC name protection.

The only issue (IMO) preventing a launch this week is that we'll be in the middle of Stage One of our office(s) relocation(s).

Solomon

ThadJarvis
05-16-2010, 04:22 PM
I don't think it will be this week.

Drunken Durfin
05-16-2010, 04:49 PM
Yeah, that is a safe bet.

Deathravin
05-16-2010, 05:31 PM
Shattered: Coming no later than 4/30!

raith
05-16-2010, 05:48 PM
Shattered: Coming no later than 12/21/2012!

fixed that for you

Kuyuk
05-16-2010, 05:54 PM
two and a half years?

Hopefully this forum will still be alive and kicking then, so we can quote it and have a good lol poster for it.

SpiffyJr
05-17-2010, 06:19 PM
... the wait continues.

pabstblueribbon
05-17-2010, 06:23 PM
Time drags on by...
Roundtime: 2 months.

caelric
05-17-2010, 06:30 PM
Time drags on by...
Roundtime: 2 months.

Huh. Something with longer RT's than forging.

ThadJarvis
05-17-2010, 07:01 PM
Any bets for what excuse keeps Shattered from being opened this week?

Drunken Durfin
05-17-2010, 07:16 PM
If anything it will be the office relocation.

SpiffyJr
05-17-2010, 08:05 PM
bills on the 29 of the month

12 more days until Shattered won't even get me back.

Drunken Durfin
05-18-2010, 01:19 PM
Any bets for what excuse keeps Shattered from being opened this week?

Now that I have thought about it, I bet the real reason is that festival down in RR.

SpiffyJr
05-18-2010, 01:42 PM
Solomon said it would be the office move. I'm still going for the most elaborate April Fool's joke eva.

Drunken Durfin
05-18-2010, 02:00 PM
Yeah, I know...but I'm talking about the real reason.

Deathravin
05-18-2010, 02:21 PM
Now that I have thought about it, I bet the real reason is that festival down in RR.

DId it say it was down? I thought you just needed a citizen escort.

Drunken Durfin
05-18-2010, 02:42 PM
DId it say it was down? I thought you just needed a citizen escort.

http://drunkendurfin.webs.com/wat.jpg

Deathravin
05-18-2010, 02:59 PM
http://drunkendurfin.webs.com/wat.jpg

http://i71.photobucket.com/albums/i146/tem14526/11c9l4p.jpg
She just makes everything better... mmmmmmmmm....

https://www.play.net/forums/messages.asp?forum=102&category=1&topic=1&message=2262

SanGreal
05-18-2010, 03:42 PM
https://www.play.net/forums/messages.asp?forum=102&category=1&topic=1&message=2262

He said "the festival down in RR" as in the festival which is in RR -- not that the festival in RR is down. The Warrens doesn't have anything to do with the festival in RR btw

Deathravin
05-18-2010, 04:35 PM
He said "the festival down in RR" as in the festival which is in RR -- not that the festival in RR is down. The Warrens doesn't have anything to do with the festival in RR btw

been too distracted with that ass running through my head all day...

ThadJarvis
05-18-2010, 06:35 PM
I'm thinking we may see Shattered around July 4'th....

nub
05-18-2010, 06:58 PM
http://i71.photobucket.com/albums/i146/tem14526/11c9l4p.jpg
She just makes everything better... mmmmmmmmm....

I'm going to assume you mean that girl alllll the way on the right.

Methais
05-18-2010, 08:38 PM
I'm going to assume you mean that girl alllll the way on the right.

99.99999% sure he's talking about the girl in the middle that the photo is focused on. As hot as the other chick is, the middle chick's ass is 4732089420x better.

The girl on the right does seem to have a look of jealousy on her face that the picture isn't being focused on her though. Maybe it reminds you of your crazy ex?

Makkah
05-18-2010, 11:36 PM
99.99999% sure he's talking about the girl in the middle that the photo is focused on. As hot as the other chick is, the middle chick's ass is 4732089420x better.

The girl on the right does seem to have a look of jealousy on her face that the picture isn't being focused on her though. Maybe it reminds you of your crazy ex?

I thought nub liked men? If so, that'd make sense. The chick on the right has a dude-ish body...

IorakeWarhammer
05-19-2010, 12:15 PM
the ass is decently impressive but just marry a fit chick she will look just about the same :)

Some Rogue
05-19-2010, 12:24 PM
After you shave her anyway right?

SpiffyJr
05-19-2010, 12:47 PM
After you shave her anyway right?

IorakeWarhammer is a douche but racial put downs make you epic fail.

I forgot to sign the negative rep I just gave you.

Liagala
05-19-2010, 01:34 PM

Welcome to the PC, where people make supposedly racist comments all the time, and don't actually mean it. They're called jokes. Maybe you've heard of them?

I didn't forget to sign the negative rep I just gave you.

Drunken Durfin
05-19-2010, 01:45 PM
What did I miss? How does saying someone is hairy a racial comment?

Liagala
05-19-2010, 01:48 PM
What did I miss? How does saying someone is hairy a racial comment?

You missed the memo? Jokes and trolling are now racist. Get with the program Durfin, geez.

Some Rogue
05-19-2010, 01:53 PM

http://i9.photobucket.com/albums/a64/lrenzo2/coolstoryese.jpg

REP IS SRS

Cephalopod
05-19-2010, 01:57 PM
Spiffy:
http://images.encyclopediadramatica.com/images/e/eb/Yall_niggas_postin_in_a_troll_thread.png

SR:
http://www.operatorchan.org/cp/src/cp1425_troll%20thread.jpg

ElvenFury
05-19-2010, 02:00 PM
The people of Hairystan are offended! At least you didn't illustrate their prophet, Muhairymud, otherwise you'd be fleeing for your very life.

Cephalopod
05-19-2010, 02:03 PM
The people of Hairystan are offended!

Why'd you bring SB into this?
http://profile.ak.fbcdn.net/v226/1027/24/n81700645_8807.jpg

Liagala
05-19-2010, 02:03 PM
The people of Hairystan are offended! At least you didn't illustrate their prophet, Muhairymud, otherwise you'd be fleeing for your very life.

I tried to find an appropriate picture to go with this. Just as an FYI, never google image search "Hairy Arab" with safe search off.

ElvenFury
05-19-2010, 02:05 PM
I tried to incorporate "Furkas" into the joke, but it was a bit of a stretch.

Drunken Durfin
05-19-2010, 07:42 PM
At the risk of derailing this derailment of the thread...

Official word: please do not put your life on hold waiting for this release. It will be released as soon as the office staff is able to finish whatever it is they need to do, and they're unlikely to announce that in advance, since they'll probably just release it asap when it's ready - instead of making an announcement and then releasing it the next day or week.

P.S. The release schedule for Shattered has nothing to do with monks, the Grawood festival, combat maneuvers, spell list reviews, your billing cycle, or Solomon getting a perm. It just doesn't.

~Sirina

FYI, I called Sirina out on the perm thing. We all know that is 90% of the problem.

nub
05-19-2010, 08:20 PM

lol ef you... actually yes the main girl's azz is phine as heck. That girl all the way on the right has a nasty bawd.

nub
05-19-2010, 08:21 PM
I thought nub liked men? If so, that'd make sense. The chick on the right has a dude-ish body...

Sorry to dissapoint =(

IorakeWarhammer
05-20-2010, 01:07 AM

please dont mock the Prophet Muhammad

IorakeWarhammer
05-20-2010, 01:10 AM
but yaah guys nice bodies arent that hard to come by these days.. also flabby bodies.. OH THIS POLARIZED WORLD!!

Stanley Burrell
05-20-2010, 03:42 AM
http://profile.ak.fbcdn.net/v226/1027/24/n81700645_8807.jpg

Dirty Mexicans.

Some Rogue
05-20-2010, 08:11 PM
please dont mock the Prophet Muhammad

Ok....how about this guy?

http://www.wowarmory.com/character-sheet.xml?r=Malorne&cn=Moohammad

I hear he can get you 72 virgin calves.

IorakeWarhammer
05-20-2010, 11:52 PM
sad

Xanator
05-20-2010, 11:58 PM
sad

http://driving.information.in.th/images/thai-no-U-turn.jpg

4a6c1
05-21-2010, 12:41 AM
Ok....how about this guy?

http://www.wowarmory.com/character-sheet.xml?r=Malorne&cn=Moohammad

I hear he can get you 72 virgin calves.

Makkah
05-21-2010, 12:50 AM
GMs are testing whether the name reservation plans are working or not. I'm personally shooting for having an opening day on Tuesday, but I'm not committing to that. I'd like to get it out before the holiday weekend, however.

Solomon

There you have it. Next guess.

ThadJarvis
05-21-2010, 12:53 AM
There you have it. Next guess.

I hope so, but ... you know... that "sooner than soon" is working out real well for us.

Inspire
05-21-2010, 01:26 AM
I wonder what names they're reserving.

Traelin
05-21-2010, 01:36 AM
I wonder what names they're reserving.

Doucheromper Sniffycunt.

Jayvn
05-21-2010, 02:32 AM
gm names, arkati names, npc names...

daeler33
05-21-2010, 11:11 AM
anyone think this is a realistic timeline?

ThadJarvis
05-21-2010, 09:31 PM
anyone think this is a realistic timeline?

Probably not. Not because I don't believe they can't finish it in time, I just think that there's more going on then Solomon will admit. As much as i'd really like to see Shattered released this week, until Solomon commits to a date, I doubt it's going to happen.

It does not take over 2 weeks to reserve ... what ... maybe 300~500 names?

Drunken Durfin
05-21-2010, 10:07 PM
It does not take over 2 weeks to reserve ... what ... maybe 300~500 names?

It should not take a good coder a more than a couple of hours to make this happen. However, from what I have gleaned over the years, the back-end of GS and all things related seems to be a huge pile of spaghetti logic with more patches than Punky Bruster's overalls.

ThadJarvis
05-21-2010, 10:32 PM
It should not take a good coder a more than a couple of hours to make this happen. However, from what I have gleaned over the years, the back-end of GS and all things related seems to be a huge pile of spaghetti logic with more patches than Punky Bruster's overalls.

Exactly.

Methais
05-22-2010, 02:22 PM
Emploi maroc, maroc job, recrutement maroc (http://www.jobsmaroc.com)
Offres d'emploi: Votre offres sont diffusées sous 24 heures et restent en ligne 60 jours.Une premiére au Maroc: Offres d'emploi avec Vidéo, presentation de votre l'entreprise avec Vidéo.

http://www.halolz.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/04/halolz-dot-com-teamfortress2-english-motherfucker.jpg

caelric
05-22-2010, 02:31 PM
Foreign spambots, cool!

Alorn15
05-23-2010, 05:35 PM

Also, get the feeling that communication internally is only slightly better than externally. Seeing as how these are part-time off-site employees, I'm guessing each task goes something like this:

1) Solomon sends out an e-mail to employee "A", requesting names be reserved
1a) Two days later "A" replies that he can't do it
1b) Go back to 1)
2) "A" says 'Sure'
2a) "A" starts working, shortly thereafter e-mails Solomon: 'On second thought this back-end is pretty hairy. Anyone else available?'
2b) Go back to 1)
3) Four days later Solomon sends "A" an email: 'How's it coming?'
4) "A" replies 'Oops, forgot to e-mail you. Yeah I finished that several days back.'
5) Rinse and repeat with QA.

Methais
05-23-2010, 05:48 PM
I wonder if there are other game companies, even just one, that operates as retarded as Simu.

Deathravin
05-23-2010, 05:54 PM
I wonder if there are other game companies, even just one, that operates as retarded as Simu.

None making over 20 million a year.

Makkah
05-23-2010, 11:54 PM
http://www.play.net/forums/messages.asp?forum=102&category=24&topic=4&message=4474

Oops. I rolled the fix into Shattered instead of Plat. This should be working properly now. Let me know if you notice anything odd.

GameMaster Oscuro

Rogue Team
Cleric/Empath Team

I found that funny.

Jayvn
05-24-2010, 03:17 PM
working 4 am to 1 pm tomorrow... at least if it's not released when I get home I can have a guinness and go to naptime

Drunken Durfin
05-24-2010, 04:40 PM
Latest:

We hit a small snag. I'm hoping it doesn't turn into a big one, but it's a billing/account thing.

Solomon

Some Rogue
05-24-2010, 04:43 PM
:lol2:

Nuc
05-24-2010, 05:11 PM
I swear this is a cruel joke. Perhaps Warden's Revenge?

Drunken Durfin
05-24-2010, 06:25 PM
I know at least one person that canceled three accounts and put "waiting on Shattered release" as the reason why.

ThadJarvis
05-24-2010, 06:25 PM
Cmon... You all didn't really expect Shattered to be released this week did you?

I'm sure this "snag" was planned two weeks ago if they needed/wanted more time. I'm sure we'll see more "snags" along the way.

BriarFox
05-24-2010, 07:02 PM
Cmon... You all didn't really expect Shattered to be released this week did you?

I'm sure this "snag" was planned two weeks ago if they needed/wanted more time. I'm sure we'll see more "snags" along the way.

You think Simu plans things in advance? Oh, naïveté.

SpiffyJr
05-24-2010, 08:37 PM
I know at least one person that canceled three accounts and put "waiting on Shattered release" as the reason why.

Who, me?

raith
05-24-2010, 09:18 PM
guess thats as bad as me putting waiting on monks still and waiting on a price change when i left the last time

Methais
05-24-2010, 10:47 PM
You think Simu plans things in advance? Oh, naïveté.

As it turns out, the writers for LOST planned more in advance than Simu ever did.

raith
05-25-2010, 06:51 AM
As it turns out, the writers for LOST planned more in advance than Simu ever did.

sadly thats probably true.

Deathravin
05-25-2010, 07:42 AM
I'd just be 1000% happier with Simu as a company if they took to the Apple approach. Maybe let little things slip through known leaks, but never announce ANYTHING until two weeks before it launches.

Just get it 100% completely absolutely done. Announce. Release 2 weeks later.

Why is that such a bad idea?

AnticorRifling
05-25-2010, 08:07 AM
Because then they couldn't stir up interest with new consumer base.....oh wait.

Deathravin
05-25-2010, 09:30 AM
Because then they couldn't stir up interest with new consumer base.....oh wait.

well even if it were the case, what's the point of stirring up interest if you take so long it just settles to the bottom again?

And I know taking so long isn't their intention, but...

Here's the thing. I know myself.
I know that if I don't work out in the morning right when I wake up every single day without fail, it won't happen.
I know when I get an inkling of getting upset, if I go for a walk and yell at nothing, I feel better and not blow up at who/whatever I'm mad at.
I know if there's snacks in the house or change in my drawer at work, I WILL eat snacks; and if I don't have the means, I'll just sit there unhappy, hungry and not fat.
I know I have a bad time-table estimation for work. I try to avoid hard drop-dead dates, and when my boss demands, I tell him 3x longer than I expect.

Why doesn't Simu know themselves? No matter what they do, they miss target dates like there's no tomorrow. It's not their fault necessarily, shit happens. It wouldn't be a bad thing if their customers never knew. They don't have investors, so there's nobody to disappoint. No harm, no foul.

Drunken Durfin
05-25-2010, 12:44 PM
If Simu took the Apple approach Shattered would cost $200, not twenty.

Deathravin
05-25-2010, 01:46 PM
If Simu took the Apple approach Shattered would cost $200, not twenty.

Well, I'm not saying going fully Apple. But just taking their time-table stance. Sure, the IPad was rumored, but it wasn't 'announced' until it was ready to ship.

Drunken Durfin
05-25-2010, 10:21 PM
And so it was written...

Tomorrow or Thursday.

Count on it.

Solomon

Jayvn
05-25-2010, 10:40 PM
Solomon says Shattered will be released within 48 hours..and

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VLnWf1sQkjY

HJFudge
05-25-2010, 10:50 PM
To write a list of names of characters I'd like to...ahem...reserve :D

SanGreal
05-26-2010, 05:22 PM
http://www.play.net/gs4/shattered/

I should note that I just went to the webpage because the forum is gone. Haven't seen an official announcement yet

Omrii
05-26-2010, 05:34 PM
Could there be enough crap in this disclaimer? They should've just put, 'Assholes... everyone's got one in Shattered'

GemStone IV: Shattered! Disclaimer

You understand that the additional rules and relaxation of rules detailed here only apply to GemStone IV: Shattered! and not to any other version of GemStone IV! You are responsible for knowing which version of GemStone IV you are playing. Normal game policies still apply in GemStone IV and GemStone IV Platinum.

You understand that in GemStone IV: Shattered!, there are no rules of any kind against vulgar language, harassment, or adult content! If you are offended or find yourself in an uncomfortable situation, you understand that you may leave the area at any time, either by walking away or by logging out of the game. A GameMaster cannot help you.

You understand that in GemStone IV: Shattered!, there is no chance for item replacement of any kind! If your character loses an item or even his or her entire inventory for any reason, there is no recourse for getting it back. A GameMaster cannot help you.

You understand that in GemStone IV: Shattered!, your character is subject to attack from any other player's character at any time for any reason! This is an open Player vs. Player environment. If your character is killed, even permanently, there is no recourse for getting it back. A GameMaster cannot help you.

You understand that in GemStone IV: Shattered!, there is no way to receive help regarding technical problems (such as by using ASSIST, REPORT, or writing Customer Service)! This is an un-monitored environment. If your character encounters a bug or other technical problem, even one that renders your character "unplayable", there is no recourse for recovery or reimbursement of any kind, either in-game or out. A GameMaster cannot help you.

You understand that in GemStone IV: Shattered!, there are no rules against "scripting" or any other methods allowing for gain of experience, money, or any in-game advantage while away from the keyboard! You also understand that if you choose to leave your character unattended, you are accepting full responsibility for whatever happens to your character during that time. If your character is killed, stolen from, altered in any fashion, or negatively impacted in any way (up to and including permanent death), there is no recourse. A GameMaster cannot help you.

You understand that in GemStone IV: Shattered!, you can be locked out if you violate those Simutronics' policies that prohibit unauthorized or malicious access of another customer's account, those that prohibit the abuse of major "bugs", or for any reason if it is determined to be in Simutronics' best interests to remove you from the playing environment! If you observe someone else abusing a serious bug, or discussing a plan to abuse one, and fail to report it, you are subject to the same penalties as they are. Serious bugs should be reported by using the BUG verb as well as by using REPORT. Benefits obtained from bug abuse may be confiscated, at Simutronics' sole discretion. Even in GemStone IV: Shattered!, Simutronics reserves the right to make special-case adjustments to its policies and the steps it takes concerning violation of these policies.

Ryvicke
05-26-2010, 05:35 PM
Anyone in yet? The billing is all set up--is it live?

WRoss
05-26-2010, 05:35 PM
>report FUCK YOU
REPORT should only be used to notify the GemStone IV staff of emergency situations or gamewide technical errors. Please use ASSIST for general support.

Message sent to all online game staff. While no staff members are currently on duty, there are likely to be several lurking behind the scenes to investigate your report. If you feel the need to speak with the staff, please type ASSIST for a list of options.

>w
[Town Square Central]
This is the heart of the main square of Wehnimer's Landing. The impromptu shops of the bazaar are clustered around this central gathering place, where townsfolk, travellers, and adventurers meet to talk, conspire or raise expeditions to the far-flung reaches of Elanith. At the north end of the space, an old well, with moss-covered stones and a craggy roof, is shaded by a strong, robust tree. The oak is tall and straight, and it is apparent that the roots run deep. You also see some stone benches and an herbal remedy donation bin.
Obvious paths: northeast, east, southeast, southwest, west, northwest
>
A bolt of lightning streaks down from the sky and strikes you!
... 25 points of damage!
Nasty shock to right hand stiffens fingers. Nice and painful.
You are stunned for 2 rounds!

A tremendous crack of thunder follows instantly!

You've gained 4 physical training points.
(To use these new points, type GOALS and adjust your skills.)
You've gained 5 mental training points.
(To use these new points, type GOALS and adjust your skills.)
>who

Active Players: 5

Staff on duty:

Use WHO HELP for more options.
>l
[Town Square Central]
This is the heart of the main square of Wehnimer's Landing. The impromptu shops of the bazaar are clustered around this central gathering place, where townsfolk, travellers, and adventurers meet to talk, conspire or raise expeditions to the far-flung reaches of Elanith. At the north end of the space, an old well, with moss-covered stones and a craggy roof, is shaded by a strong, robust tree. The oak is tall and straight, and it is apparent that the roots run deep. You also see some stone benches and an herbal remedy donation bin.
>rub amu
You rub your crystal amulet.
You feel your mind open up to the world around you.
Cast Roundtime 3 Seconds.
>rub amu
You rub your crystal amulet.
Feels smooth!
Wait 2 sec.
>think Has anyone seen my weiner?
Cast Roundtime 3 Seconds.

>l on ben
There is nothing on there.
>
A roaring ball of fire streaks through the air and strikes you!
... 20 points of damage!
Flames engulf head searing hair and scalp. Sickening!
You sense that your attunement to the minds of others has ceased.

It seems you have died, my friend. Although you cannot do anything, you are keenly aware of what is going on around you...

...departing in 16 mins...
>l
>
[Town Square Central]
>report NO WAY!
Please rephrase that command.

To answer the immediate question: no, there are no healers around.

>'hahaha
You say, "Hahaha."
>
You are healed.
>mychar will give you suck treats for healz
Ross will give you suck treats for healz
>

SEND[Solomon] So F you too, pal ;)

SanGreal
05-26-2010, 05:37 PM
The decrepit pawnshop appears to be closed.

wtf

WRoss
05-26-2010, 05:39 PM
halp, invasion in the catacombs.

Celephais
05-26-2010, 05:44 PM
It's going to be awesome when someone is high enough level to maintain constant Meteor swarms at TSC.

mgoddess
05-26-2010, 06:00 PM
halp, invasion in the catacombs.
LOL Awesome. What'd they send out after all you newb rat hunters?

WRoss
05-26-2010, 06:15 PM
I got the first pkill about 5 minutes in. Awesome.

DoctorUnne
05-26-2010, 06:20 PM
I expect to see a lot of funny logs

Jaimaltz
05-26-2010, 06:42 PM
Freaking stuck at the first part:

[You may ACCEPT the guided tour, or DECLINE to explore alone.]

Since it's the wizard, but using the stormfront stream because of lich, I can't click decline to go on my way. Any sent commands look like this:

>stop
>l
>quit

Ceyrin
05-26-2010, 06:46 PM
LOL, I'm taking the thraak quiz.

Styrbjorn
05-26-2010, 06:46 PM
[Town Square Central]
This is the heart of the main square of Wehnimer's Landing. The impromptu shops of the bazaar are clustered around this central gathering place, where townsfolk, travellers, and adventurers meet to talk, conspire or raise expeditions to the far-flung reaches of Elanith. At the north end of the space, an old well, with moss-covered stones and a craggy roof, is shaded by a strong, robust tree. The oak is tall and straight, and it is apparent that the roots run deep. You also see a large acorn, a gornar two-handed wardildo adorned with runes that pulse with every beat of your heart, an engraved haon strongbox, a large acorn, some stone benches and an herbal remedy donation bin.
Also here: Jeesus, Muffdiver, Pandin, Ledru, Vykath, Cara, Mordechai who is sitting, Beeyonce, Veska, Cameron, Celros