PDA

View Full Version : Health Reform and Religious Conscience

ClydeR
07-16-2009, 10:41 AM
The health reform bill (http://thomas.loc.gov/cgi-bin/bdquery/z?d111:h.r.03200:) being taken up in the House encourages individuals to purchase health insurance by imposing a tax of up to the national average insurance premium on those persons who do not have health insurance. The "up to" part exempts low income people from the tax. There are several exemptions to the tax, including an exemption for "religious conscience" exemption.

If someone is a member of a "recognized religious sect" and an adherent to the tenets of the sect and files an application for exemption with the government, then that person is exempt from the requirement to purchase health insurance.

I don't think our government should recognize weird religions like that. I assume it's Mormons or something. Whoever it is, they should be subject to the same laws as everybody else, and I shouldn't get stuck paying their doctor bills.

Rocktar
07-16-2009, 10:47 AM
I don't think our government should recognize weird religions like that. I assume it's Mormons or something. Whoever it is, they should be subject to the same laws as everybody else, and I shouldn't get stuck paying their doctor bills.

You should have stopped with the bold part. You don't pay for those people's medical bills; they DON'T want medical attention in the first place. They don't want medical insurance and medical treatment so they don't want to be forced to pay for it. And no, it isn't the Mormons.