PDA

View Full Version : Which Republican Senator to Lead Opposition to Obama Court Pick

ClydeR
05-04-2009, 10:56 AM
Reid (http://thehill.com/leading-the-news/conservatives-gear-up-for-high-court-fight-2009-05-01.html) reports that Senate insiders are leaning toward Sen. Jeff Sessions (R-Ala.), who's actually the fourth most senior member behind Grassley, Hatch, and Sen. Jon Kyl (R-Ariz.), who would have to give up his position as Minority Whip to take the Ranking Member post.

Republican members of the Judiciary panel will meet next week to pick a new ranking member from amongst themselves. Senate aides say Sen. Jeff Sessions (R-Ala.), the fourth-ranking member on the panel, has the inside edge.

Recognizing their deficit in the Senate, Sekulow and other conservative operatives said Sessions could be counted on at least to question the eventual nominee closely, as President Bush's two nominees — Chief Justice John Roberts and Associate Justice Samuel Alito — underwent during their confirmation hearings.

Moreover, conservatives shudder at the notion of Grassley leading the panel. Writing on The Corner (http://bench.nationalreview.com/post/?q=NmRhMWQ3MTBhMDYzNGU5ZmE4NTFkN2E4OTc0MjZiNjk=), Ed Whelan, a former Judiciary Committee Counsel and now the President of the Ethics and Public Policy Center, argued that Grassley wouldn't be the best pick.

"[H]e has never demonstrated any real understanding of, or even interest in, the grand debates over the role of the Courts," Whelan wrote. "And he is not the most effective questioner on legal issues."

Whelan told me that Republicans need a sharp questioner to counter Chairman Pat Leahy (D-Vt.), not a policy wonk like Grassley.

"Given how tough Leahy can be, you need to have someone who's smart and savvy, knows constitutional law and presents well," he said. "If you don't have that, and if you have someone who has a very different skill set that sen Grassley has, it'd be very messy."

More... (http://briefingroom.thehill.com/tag/sen-orrin-hatch/)

This is definitely what the Republicans need to do now. Senators like Grassley and Hatch are not the best choice to challenge Obama's court nominees, even though they have seniority. This is the sort of struggle Republicans need to have to purify what the party stands for.

Senator Sessions has a history (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jeff_Sessions) of supporting the things that have to be important to the Republican Party going forward if it is going to regain the position of influence that it had at the beginning of George W. Bush's administration -- things like opposing "un-American, Communist-inspired" groups like the NAACP and the ACLU, opposing abortion, opposing illegal Mexicans, supporting the responsible use of torture, and being sure that conservative groups aren't demonized. I don't agree with Sessions on the KKK (I think they would be bad even if they didn't smoke marijuana), but all of his other positions are pretty good.

Besides that, the Alabama Senator's fiery questioning will not seem so bad because of his charming Southern accent. He's definitely the best choice to do the lead the opposition questioning if the nominee is a female and a minority.

ClydeR
05-04-2009, 03:22 PM
It happened today, sooner than I expected.

Look Out Mr President, There’s a New GOP Sheriff on Judiciary

Posted By Trish Turner On May 4, 2009 @ 2:07 pm In Congress | No Comments

Sen. Jeff Sessions, R-AL, an ardent conservative, is all but certain to assume the top GOP spot on the Judiciary Committee replacing Sen. Arlen Specter of Pennsylvania, who last week switched parties, FOX News has learned.

One GOP aide said Sessions was chosen as Ranking Republican after member-to-member conversations over the weekend, but Judiciary Committee Republicans are expected to meet Monday evening to formally select their top GOPer.

This is all but certain to mean a difficult fight over the replacement of Supreme Court Justice David Souter.

Sessions, according to GOP sources, is expected to serve out the remainder of the session, which ends in Jan, 2011, after which seniority could see a change in ranking positions on several top committees. Grassley is in line to take over the Judiciary Committee; Sessions moving to the Budget Committee; and Hatch, a senior Judiciary Committee Republican, is in line to head the Finance Cmte. Republicans, unlike Democrats, base their top spots on seniority, but one senior GOP leadership aide said, “Anything can happen. Sessions can decide to stay on Judiciary, then that opens up a problem.”

Interestingly, it was the Judiciary Committee which, back in 1986, rejected Sessions for a judgeship. Sessions was then the U.S. attorney for the Southern District of Alabama. President Reagan nominated him (in 1985) to be a district judge, but two Republicans, one being Arlen Specter (!!), joined all committee Democrats to defeat the nomination 10-8.

rights groups at the time objected to Sessions because of some statements he had made about race in voter fraud cases.

He has a pro-life voting record; is a vocal opponent of comprehensive immigration reform; and has voted to bar same sex marriage.

More... (http://congress.blogs.foxnews.com/2009/05/04/look-out-mr-president-theres-a-new-gop-sheriff-on-judiciary/print/)

Mighty Nikkisaurus
05-04-2009, 03:52 PM
I don't agree with Sessions on the KKK (I think they would be bad even if they didn't smoke marijuana)

:rofl:

ClydeR
05-04-2009, 05:10 PM
:rofl:

Yes, Senator Sessions is more conservative than I am, but the Republican Party has to be a big tent.

ClydeR
05-05-2009, 12:36 PM
A bunch of liberal (http://www.wowowow.com/politics/jeff-sessions-role-judiciary-committee-threatened-racial-comments-past-286264) are taking the stuff that I here wrote about Senator Sessions yesterday and twisting it around in an attempt to make Sessions look bad. Although I am flattered that people in the national news are copying the things I write, I'm still disappointed that they are spinning it.