PDA

View Full Version : Catholicism, the new religious left?

Tisket
04-01-2009, 01:41 AM
Link. (http://www.usatoday.com/news/religion/2009-03-31-catholics-liberal_N.htm)

By Daniel Burke, Religion News Service
American Catholics are more liberal than the general population on social issues like divorce and homosexuality, despite the Catholic Church's longstanding conservatism on both issues, according to a new survey.

Catholics are more likely than non-Catholics to say that homosexual relations, divorce, and heterosexual sex outside wedlock are morally acceptable, according to an analysis by Gallup pollsters released on Monday.

In other areas, Catholics are nearly identical to the population at large. For example, 4 in 10 Catholics say abortion is "morally acceptable," compared to 41% of all Americans. And 63% back embryonic stem cell research, compared to 62% overall.

Catholics who attend church regularly hew more closely to church doctrine, but are still more liberal on many issues than non-Catholic regular church attendees.

Twenty-four percent of Catholics who attend Mass regularly say abortion is morally acceptable, compared to 19% of non-Catholic regular attendees. And more than half of Catholic regular worshippers say the same about embryonic stem cell research, compared to 45% of non-Catholic worshippers.

Kind of interesting, I thought.

And in before obvious pedophilia jokes!

Back
04-01-2009, 01:45 AM
I know plenty of women who are fine with having babies without getting married. And no, I have no children... that I know of.

Tisket
04-01-2009, 01:45 AM
And this relates to catholicism...how?

Back
04-01-2009, 01:48 AM
Good question and I left out details. Most of the women I know who are fine with having babies without getting married are young latinas.

Tisket
04-01-2009, 01:57 AM
So...catholic latinas? Not all hispanics are catholic you flake.

Back
04-01-2009, 02:06 AM
So...catholic latinas? Not all hispanics are catholic you flake.

No, not all. The Spaniards brought it over so one would think the indigenous would be less inclined.

But as to your topic I agree from the ground. I’m seeing more liberal ideals from “supposed” catholics.

thefarmer
04-01-2009, 02:07 AM
Since all Backlash knows are imaginary women, they can be anything he wants them to be.

Tisket
04-01-2009, 02:09 AM
Backlash lives in a world without context. I sometimes forget that. Must put a sticky note reminder on my monitor.

Back
04-01-2009, 02:09 AM
Since all Backlash knows are imaginary women, they can be anything he wants them to be.

Just like I know your momma loves fellatio...

ZING!

Tisket
04-01-2009, 02:11 AM
But as to your topic I agree from the ground. I’m seeing more liberal ideals from “supposed” catholics.

Why do you call them "supposed"? Are you saying catholics pretend to be catholic?

thefarmer
04-01-2009, 02:12 AM
Just like I know your momma loves fellatio...

ZING!

You realize that you imagining my mother loving head is only a ZING on yourself?

Back
04-01-2009, 02:15 AM
You realize that you imagining my mother loving head is only a ZING on yourself?

Why? Should she wear a bag on her head?

ZING!

diethx
04-01-2009, 02:23 AM
Why? Should she wear a bag on her head?

ZING!

http://www.chuacuuthe.org/images/jesus-pic/images/Jesus%20Sad_jpg-crop.jpg

We need a facepalm smiley.

thefarmer
04-01-2009, 02:24 AM
She's a 70 year old asian woman.

If that's what image you use to get your rocks off... I'd seek therapy.

Back
04-01-2009, 02:25 AM
Ok, that probably did not make much sense to anyone but me at this moment. It’s late and I am a few beers away from sleep.

thefarmer: When you come out of nowhere and try to insult me, in my present state, expect some outrageous, but not personal, response.

I’d be more than happy to chug OBs and grill with you than typing stupid shit into a message board. You started.

Nieninque
04-01-2009, 02:32 AM
Ok, that probably did not make much sense to anyone but me at this moment. It’s late and I am a few beers away from sleep.

thefarmer: When you come out of nowhere and try to insult me, in my present state, expect some outrageous, but not personal, response.

I’d be more than happy to chug OBs and grill with you than typing stupid shit into a message board. You started.

Without wishing to sound personal, you're a fucking idiot.

Just saying.

Back
04-01-2009, 02:34 AM
The Queen of England has spoken.

ElvenFury
04-01-2009, 09:11 AM
We need a facepalm smiley.

:forehead: works well, IMO.

Cephalopod
04-01-2009, 09:43 AM
http://i40.tinypic.com/11j40sh.jpg

crb
04-01-2009, 10:11 AM
Most catholics are catholic because their ancestors were. irish, italian, hispanic. Catholicism is like almost an ethnicity, something you're born into, than a hard set of beliefs for most practitioners. Its very passive. You go to church one sunday (or twice a year) and standup-sitdown-fight-fight-fight and you're done.

The real religious nutjobs aren't catholics, they're the ones who go to little new-age christian churches with no tradition, culture, or history. The only thing motivating them to go is their hard core beliefs.

This has been true for a very long time, I don't see how it is news.

ElanthianSiren
04-01-2009, 10:31 AM
I wouldn't say the above is exactly true. I met some very devout catholics in the midwest (grand rapids ughh). My family on my mom's side is byzantine and roman catholic (grandma married into RC); great grandpa was a byzantine priest (one of the last of the classes allowed to marry actually).

My mom's entire east coast family is prochoice, but my grandmother's sister is extremely right byzantine catholic and adheres very strongly to the sacraments and things like no meat on fridays or whatever day that is. She lives in a community of very religious byzantines out by Seattle.

IMO it's location, how strict the people one associates with are, and how much a person feels the need to belong to said religion.

Tisket
04-01-2009, 12:02 PM
Most catholics are catholic because their ancestors were. irish, italian, hispanic. Catholicism is like almost an ethnicity, something you're born into, than a hard set of beliefs for most practitioners. Its very passive. You go to church one sunday (or twice a year) and standup-sitdown-fight-fight-fight and you're done.

The real religious nutjobs aren't catholics, they're the ones who go to little new-age christian churches with no tradition, culture, or history. The only thing motivating them to go is their hard core beliefs.

This has been true for a very long time, I don't see how it is news.

I imagine the "news" is two-fold. One is that Catholics, despite belonging to a faith with a conservative dogma, are considerably more liberal than other Christian sects.

The second being that Catholics are, in some spheres, more liberal than the general population. Even if Catholics as a rule didn't care about their faith (this obviously isn't true for all Catholics) they should, all other things being equal, score along the average.

ClydeR
04-01-2009, 12:03 PM
Newt Gingrich is going to put the brakes on the worrisome trend cited by Tisket. Newt, who is a possible 2012 Republican presidential candidate, recently swam the Tiber (http://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/swim_the_Tiber). Now that he's a full fledged Catholic, Newt will have tremendous influence on the Catholic Church and the attitudes of its members in the United States. Furthermore, this conversion will wipe away any lingering doubts about his moral fitness.

The twice-divorced Gingrich, who has confessed to previous marital infidelities, converted to the faith of his third wife, Calista Bisek. And politicos are already speculating that the conversion will help shore up his position with values voters as he contemplates another race for the presidency in 2012.

Deal Hudson, who founded the Catholic magazine Crisis and advised George W. Bush's political guru Karl Rove, argues that the Gingrich's conversion represents a personal and political cleansing.

More... (http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/washington/2009/03/newt-gingrich-finds-religion-takes-vow-of-silence.html)

Sean of the Thread
04-01-2009, 12:44 PM
Without wishing to sound personal, you're a fucking idiot.

Just saying.

You must spread around more reputation before giving it to Nieninque again

Tisket
04-01-2009, 12:51 PM
You must spread around more reputation before giving it to Sean of the Thread again.