PDA

View Full Version : Octomom to overturn Roe vs. Wade?

ClydeR
03-06-2009, 05:13 PM
ATLANTA – Lawmakers in two states, outraged by California's "Octomom," are seeking to limit the number of embryos that may be implanted by fertility clinics.

The legislation in Missouri and Georgia is intended to spare taxpayers from footing the bill for women having more children than they can afford. But critics say the measures also would make having even one child more difficult for women who desperately want to become mothers.

More... (http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20090304/ap_on_re_us/octuplets_legislation)

The legislation, which was prompted by right to life groups, would limit the number of implanted embryos to two in most women. Limiting the number of embryos would reduce the number of abortions commonly performed following successful fertility treatments. Fertility treatments produce too many children, and they get rid of the extra ones by killing them with abortions.

If this legislation is passed and upheld by the courts, then it will weaken the legal underpinnings of Roe vs. Wade.

Cusack
03-06-2009, 05:18 PM
God I hope so.

Mabus
03-06-2009, 05:22 PM
It's a woman's body! She has a right to choose! A woman should be able to have hundreds of embryos implanted at once, and be applauded for going for the record! Why should we care if these multiple births have a possible negative physiological impact on the babies, or that they may be unable to afford or take care of them. She has a right to choose! Keep the laws out of her womb!

(this rant brought to you by the letters r and u, and the number 486)

ViridianAsp
03-06-2009, 05:24 PM
It's a woman's body! She has a right to choose! A woman should be able to have hundreds of embryos implanted at once, and be applauded for going for the record!

Your sarcasm made my uterus cringe in pain.

Tolwynn
03-06-2009, 05:30 PM
But there needs to be some regulation, I am sure the intelligent medical community will learn to say NO to perfectly fertile women who DON'T HAVE TROUBLE GETTING PREGNANT.

If there's a buck to be made, I wouldn't start holding my breath anytime soon.

ViridianAsp
03-06-2009, 05:31 PM
If there's a buck to be made, I wouldn't start holding my breath anytime soon.

Yeah, that's why I deleted the post....because I forgot how the medical system really is.

LMingrone
03-06-2009, 05:37 PM
From what I've read, the same doctor that put all the embryos in octomom, just did the same thing with another women. Dude must make BANK.

Kind of on topic: I'm listening to WFAN while I'm posting this. Some guys just called in talking about how AROD needs to get his ovary cyst removed. Another caller calls in and says AROD needs to have his uterus removed.

Not as funny when I type it, but if you heard the whole call....hilarious.