PDA

View Full Version : Obama's Iraq Surrender Speech

ClydeR
02-27-2009, 05:41 PM
In a speech (http://www.whitehouse.gov/the_press_office/Remarks-of-President-Barack-Obama-Responsibly-Ending-the-War-in-Iraq/) to Marines at Camp Lejeune in North Carolina, Obama announced that the United States' "combat mission" in Iraq will end by August 31, 2010, and he said all troops will be out of Iraq by the end of 2011.

There will be 35-50,000 troops in Iraq during the period between August 31, 2010, and the full withdrawal by the end of 2011. Those troops will be a "transitional force to carry out three distinct functions: training, equipping, and advising Iraqi Security Forces as long as they remain non-sectarian; conducting targeted counter-terrorism missions; and protecting our ongoing civilian and military efforts within Iraq."

The August 31, 2010, timetable is an 18-month draw down, not the 16-month draw down that Obama talked about in the campaign. During the campaign Obama said he would consult with the Joint Chiefs and start a draw down 30 days after taking office, and the draw down would last 16 months and leave a residual force.

Although he wasn't announcing much that was new, I still think it is a mistake. Iraq has some of the world's largest oil reserves. It is a terrible mistake to give up that oil after our troops paid for it with their blood.

I'm looking for a video of the speech so I can see if the Marines booed or cheered.

Androidpk
02-27-2009, 09:41 PM
In a I still think it is a mistake. Iraq has some of the world's largest oil reserves. It is a terrible mistake to give up that oil after our troops paid for it with their blood.

My only recommendation, stop smoking crack.

SolitareConfinement
02-27-2009, 09:47 PM
My only recommendation, stop smoking crack.

or at the very least drop the paint chip eating

LMingrone
02-27-2009, 10:12 PM
Blabbity blabbitly blab.

Are you suggesting we occupy and make $ from their oil, because we are the linebackers of the world? (I was feeling smart and went with a football analogy, sorry 'bout that) Just say so if that's what you mean.

My view...and it's only my opinion, I respect everyone's opinion:

I've lost three friends in Iraq so far. I'd love to see some of my friends, that have served three-four tours, finally be able to work normal jobs and spend time with their families/friends. Any religion/country/culture has to dig themselves out of any hole they happen to fall in to. America, Fuck Yeah.

Parkbandit
02-27-2009, 11:22 PM
My favorite part of Obama's speech:

And so I want to be very clear: We sent our troops to Iraq to do away with Saddam Hussein’s regime – and you got the job done. We kept our troops in Iraq to help establish a sovereign government – and you got the job done. And we will leave the Iraqi people with a hard-earned opportunity to live a better life – that is your achievement; that is the prospect that you have made possible.

Sounds like he is repeating Bush's "Mission Accomplished" mantra. I wonder if the same people who bashed Bush will also bash Obama...

Androidpk
02-27-2009, 11:29 PM
My favorite part of Obama's speech:

Sounds like he is repeating Bush's "Mission Accomplished" mantra. I wonder if the same people who bashed Bush will also bash Obama...

No need to wonder, people like clyde are already inferring that.

ElanthianSiren
02-28-2009, 09:51 AM

I saw it as Obama challenging the GOP to vote against his draw down plan, which is why Bush's specific language was used. Never underestimate my ability to bash Bush's bad judgements! :P

Krendeli
02-28-2009, 10:16 AM
In a speech (http://www.whitehouse.gov/the_press_office/Remarks-of-President-Barack-Obama-Responsibly-Ending-the-War-in-Iraq/) to Marines at Camp Lejeune in North Carolina, Obama announced that the United States' "combat mission" in Iraq will end by August 31, 2010, and he said all troops will be out of Iraq by the end of 2011.

There will be 35-50,000 troops in Iraq during the period between August 31, 2010, and the full withdrawal by the end of 2011. Those troops will be a "transitional force to carry out three distinct functions: training, equipping, and advising Iraqi Security Forces as long as they remain non-sectarian; conducting targeted counter-terrorism missions; and protecting our ongoing civilian and military efforts within Iraq."

The August 31, 2010, timetable is an 18-month draw down, not the 16-month draw down that Obama talked about in the campaign. During the campaign Obama said he would consult with the Joint Chiefs and start a draw down 30 days after taking office, and the draw down would last 16 months and leave a residual force.

Although he wasn't announcing much that was new, I still think it is a mistake. Iraq has some of the world's largest oil reserves. It is a terrible mistake to give up that oil after our troops paid for it with their blood.

I'm looking for a video of the speech so I can see if the Marines booed or cheered.
The mission was to find WMD's (which they didn't have) and remove Saddam. We accomplished both missions and now are finally pulling troops out.

You consider this a surrender? Would you have said the same thing if Bush was still in office?

Staying in Iraq to keep the oil they produce ends up being an endless cycle of loss. We stay longer, we lose more troops so we have to stay for more oil. Would you prefer we stayed in Germany also after WWII so we could get the cost of troops back in VW's?

Parkbandit
02-28-2009, 10:17 AM
I saw it as Obama challenging the GOP to vote against his draw down plan, which is why Bush's specific language was used. Never underestimate my ability to bash Bush's bad judgements! :P

Actually, it's the Republicans that are for this current plan.. and not many of his own party.

Parkbandit
02-28-2009, 10:21 AM
The mission was to find WMD's (which they didn't have) and remove Saddam. We accomplished both missions and now are finally pulling troops out.

You consider this a surrender? Would you have said the same thing if Bush was still in office?

Staying in Iraq to keep the oil they produce ends up being an endless cycle of loss. We stay longer, we lose more troops so we have to stay for more oil. Would you prefer we stayed in Germany also after WWII so we could get the cost of troops back in VW's?

Who besides you here still believes ClydeR is "real"?

Seriously, I've never been around so many gullible/stupid people before.. it's awesome.

ElanthianSiren
02-28-2009, 10:33 AM
Actually, it's the Republicans that are for this current plan.. and not many of his own party.

Interesting; I hadn't read that. Are they saying it's because 19 months is too long for the left?

ClydeR
02-28-2009, 01:21 PM

Interesting; I hadn't read that. Are they saying it's because 19 months is too long for the left?

I don't think Parkbandit read it either. People may assume it's true because John McCain supports Obama's plan and Dennis Kucinich criticized it, but there is no objective evidence to support Parkbandit's statement.

Those people are playing into Obama's hands. He wants Republican politicians to praise the plan, and he wants far left politicians to criticize the plan. It makes Obama look more centrist.

ClydeR
02-28-2009, 01:28 PM

That was the public face of the mission, not the real objective. It wasn't politically correct to say that we were going for the oil, which is why President Bush had to say it was for WMDs and Saddam. But everybody knew at the time that it was really for oil. By leaving now, Obama is surrendering without accomplishing our real objective in Iraq.

Would I be critical if Bush were still the President? Don't be silly. Bush would never have let us leave Iraq.

Tisket
02-28-2009, 01:32 PM

The military personnel standing behind the President applauded. The camera didn't pan but there was definite applause from the off screen audience as well.

ClydeR
02-28-2009, 02:04 PM
The military personnel standing behind the President applauded. The camera didn't pan but there was definite applause from the off screen audience as well.

I found a recording of the speech on C-Span (http://c-span.org/Watch/watch.aspx?MediaId=HP-R-15915). I have to say that it was very well delivered, especially the part at the end about Corporal Jonathan Yale and Lance Corporal Jordan Haerter. I don't think anybody could have told that story better. That part of his speech doesn't read very well, but it's really good when you see him say it.

I couldn't tell how enthusiastically the Marines were applauding. Obama, unlike most recent presidents, does not like a lot of applause during his speeches. He tends to speak right through the applause. I heard somebody on the teevee say it's because he thinks lots of applause distracts from what he is trying to communicate. A lot of politicos would disagree, thinking that being seen receiving applause is more important the what you say.

Parkbandit
02-28-2009, 04:45 PM

Too long.. too many left behind. Reid isn't happy with the amount of troops left behind and neither is Pelosi.

Faent
03-01-2009, 07:14 PM
Would I be critical if Bush were still the President? Don't be silly. Bush would never have let us leave Iraq.

QFT

RichardCranium
03-01-2009, 07:17 PM
I know I'm in the minority but I would rather we stayed for the oil too.

Ignot
03-01-2009, 08:44 PM
How long do you stay?