PDA

View Full Version : Address to Congress

Suppa Hobbit Mage
02-24-2009, 09:14 PM
If I was Obama I'd totally grow my hair out into an 18 inch afro. Not like you could impeach him for it.

Srzly though, it's starting.

I can see this will be 5 minutes of real content and 50 minutes of applause (not that other Presidential address were any different, it's just fucking annoying)

radamanthys
02-24-2009, 10:06 PM
Pelosi is a jumping bean. Boing, boing, boing.

I just don't understand: How does any of this help us now?

Apotheosis
02-24-2009, 10:07 PM
lol.. yeah.. I'm listening to it now.. I have to admit.. the dude is pretty inspiring in some ways....

but.. as the saying goes, actions speak louder than words.

radamanthys
02-24-2009, 11:12 PM
I think it was one big 'motivational speech'.

droit
02-24-2009, 11:32 PM
At least it was better than Jindal's infomercial.

LordBacl
02-25-2009, 12:22 AM

Okay, am I the only person who thought Jindal sounded like Kenneth from 30 Rock? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=czIXyofOwUo

Parkbandit
02-25-2009, 12:44 AM

At least it was an INFOmercial.. where as Obama's was a NONINFOmercial.

droit
02-25-2009, 12:57 AM
LOL @ Jindal being more informative than Obama. Seriously, PB, get your head out of your ass. Even if you disagree with what he said, claiming he said nothing just makes you look ignorant.

Stanley Burrell
02-25-2009, 12:58 AM
If I was Obama I'd totally grow my hair out into an 18 inch afro.

http://tshitz.com/images/SOULGLO.jpg

Parkbandit
02-25-2009, 01:03 AM
LOL @ Jindal being more informative than Obama. Seriously, PB, get your head out of your ass. Even if you disagree with what he said, claiming he said nothing just makes you look ignorant.

I didn't say he said nothing, dumbfuck.. I said he gave very little details and more of the same ol' song and dance.

Mabus
02-25-2009, 06:09 AM
I didn't say he said nothing, dumbfuck.. I said he gave very little details
I agree with that. But he prefers the "details" be rammed through the process, without Congress (or the citizens) even being able to read them before voting.

and more of the same ol' song and dance.
Racist.
;)

And to be brutally honest, I though Jindal sucked. But I suppose it is hard to be a solo act after the "hoot and holler" show the Dem's put on for Obama. Jindal sounded flat, and was lacking on potential "details" himself.

Parkbandit
02-25-2009, 08:54 AM
I agree with that. But he prefers the "details" be rammed through the process, without Congress (or the citizens) even being able to read them before voting.

I don't think that's by design.. I think it's because he doesn't really know the details and it's more about just saying it and letting the people behind the scenes figure that out.

Racist.
;)

And to be brutally honest, I though Jindal sucked. But I suppose it is hard to be a solo act after the "hoot and holler" show the Dem's put on for Obama. Jindal sounded flat, and was lacking on potential "details" himself.

To be honest, the Republicans used to do the same thing with Bush. It's dumb then.. it's dumb now. Sit the fuck down and let the man speak.

Jindal looked almost robotic in giving his speech.. and when he walked in, he looked like he shit his pants. I liked the message he gave, I thought his delivery of that message sucked.

Then again.. I don't believe much of what either said last night.

Ignot
02-25-2009, 09:30 AM
I find it in bad taste that the republicans not only refused to clap at some points but actually booed Obama. Our President is trying to reassure the American people that we can get through this and an entire party is booing him.

CrystalTears
02-25-2009, 09:33 AM
I find it in bad taste that the republicans not only refused to clap at some points but actually booed Obama. Our President is trying to reassure the American people that we can get through this and an entire party is booing him.
Perhaps because the honeymoon is over and rather than continuing to hear how awesome everything is going to be, some actually want to hear HOW he's going to make everything awesome.

Keller
02-25-2009, 10:12 AM
Perhaps because the honeymoon is over and rather than continuing to hear how awesome everything is going to be, some actually want to hear HOW he's going to make everything awesome.

That was a pep rally.

We are Bayside High. We're playing the Pittsburgh Steelers.

Everything is fucked.

ClydeR
02-25-2009, 10:13 AM
A lot of unpatriotic folks are saying that Obama made a mistake in his speech when he said that the automobile was invented in America. Well, I'm going with Obama on this one. The automobile was definitely invented in America, despite what disloyal people in the media may say. Next they'll be saying that some other country invented the airplane and the bicycle.

ClydeR
02-25-2009, 10:15 AM
"So let there be no doubt: health care reform cannot wait, it must not wait, and it will not wait another year," said Obama. There's no way that's going to happen in a year.

Also on the subject of healthcare, Obama said, "Already, we have done more to advance the cause of health care reform in the last thirty days than we have in the last decade. When it was days old, this Congress passed a law to provide and protect health insurance for eleven million American children whose parents work full-time." He must have forgotten about Bush's outrageously expensive Medicare prescription drug law for old people. The kids' health insurance law was bigger than that? I don't think so.

ClydeR
02-25-2009, 10:18 AM
There were lots of particular issues in Obama's speech and Jindal's response about which we can quibble. But the big issue was a basic philosophical difference about the role of government.

Obama, then Jindal--

I reject the view that says our problems will simply take care of themselves; that says government has no role in laying the foundation for our common prosperity.

For history tells a different story. History reminds us that at every moment of economic upheaval and transformation, this nation has responded with bold action and big ideas. In the midst of civil war, we laid railroad tracks from one coast to another that spurred commerce and industry. From the turmoil of the Industrial Revolution came a system of public high schools that prepared our citizens for a new age. In the wake of war and depression, the GI Bill sent a generation to college and created the largest middle-class in history. And a twilight struggle for freedom led to a nation of highways, an American on the moon, and an explosion of technology that still shapes our world.

In each case, government didn’t supplant private enterprise; it catalyzed private enterprise. It created the conditions for thousands of entrepreneurs and new businesses to adapt and to thrive.

More... (http://www.whitehouse.gov/the_press_office/Remarks-of-President-Barack-Obama-Address-to-Joint-Session-of-Congress/)

Democratic leaders in Washington -- they place their hope in the federal government. We place our hope in you, the American people. In the end, it comes down to an honest and fundamental disagreement about the proper role of government. We oppose the National Democratic view that says the way to strengthen our country is to increase dependence on government. We believe the way to strengthen our country is to restrain spending in Washington, to empower individuals and small businesses to grow our economy and to create jobs.

More... (http://www.cnn.com/2009/POLITICS/02/24/sotn.jindal.transcript/)

I'm not going to quote all of what Jindal said on this subject, because it's too long. He said tax cuts were the way to go, not government spending. He also said the nation's experiences during Hurricane Katrina in 2005 showed that more government is not the answer.

Jindal got specific in his criticism of the new stimulus law. He objected to a "$8 billion for high-speed rail projects, such as a 'magnetic levitation' line from Las Vegas to Disneyland." I don't think we need a special monorail (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A3xGtjhZ_Yg) for people to go to Disneyland.

Jindal also criticized "$140 million for something called 'volcano monitoring.' Instead of monitoring volcanoes, what Congress should be monitoring is the eruption of spending in Washington, D.C." Now that's a clever use of words! Anybody who has been to a high school science fair already knows how volcanos work (vinegar and baking soda or, for a bigger thrill, Mentos and diet Coke). We don't' need to spend $140 million on it.

Daniel
02-25-2009, 12:39 PM
I'm not going to quote all of what Jindal said on this subject, because it's too long. He said tax cuts were the way to go, not government spending. He also said the nation's experiences during Hurricane Katrina in 2005 showed that more government is not the answer.

Did he really say this?

Clove
02-25-2009, 12:47 PM
Did he really say this?Didn't he?

In Louisiana, we took a different approach. Since I became governor, we cut more than 250 earmarks from our state budget. To create jobs for our citizens, we cut taxes six times -- including the largest income tax cut in the history of our state. We passed those tax cuts with bipartisan majorities. Republicans and Democrats put aside their differences -- we worked together to make sure our people could keep more of what they earn. If it can be done in Baton Rouge, surely it can be done in Washington, D.C.

Daniel
02-25-2009, 12:50 PM
Didn't he?

I don't know. I haven't had time to read a transcript, so your quote isn't really helping.

I forgot you always take the most retarded interpretation of things. I mean specifically, the Katrina bit.

Clove
02-25-2009, 12:56 PM
I don't know. I haven't had time to read a transcript, so your quote isn't really helping.

I forgot you always take the most retarded interpretation of things. I mean specifically, the Katrina bit.I forgot, you lack the ability to clearly express what you mean in addition to being too lazy to read the source before you question its contents.

Clove
02-25-2009, 12:59 PM
And I don't know if ClydeR can imply that Jindal really meant that Katrina taught us more government doesn't work. That's a basic party line for Republicans period, however this is probably where he got it from:

During Katrina, I visited Sheriff Harry Lee, a Democrat and a good friend of mine. When I walked into his makeshift office, I'd never seen him so angry. He was yelling into the phone: "Well, I'm the Sheriff and if you don't like it you can come and arrest me!" I asked him: "Sheriff, what's got you so mad?" He told me that he had put out a call for volunteers to come with their boats to rescue people who were trapped on their rooftops by the floodwaters. The boats were all lined up ready to go, when some bureaucrat showed up and told them they couldn't go out on the water unless they had proof of insurance and registration. I told him, "Sheriff, that's ridiculous." And before I knew it, he was yelling into the phone: "Congressman Jindal is here, and he says you can come and arrest him too!" Harry just told the boaters to ignore the bureaucrats and go start rescuing people.

There is a lesson in this experience: The strength of America is not found in our government. It is found in the compassionate hearts and the enterprising spirit of our citizens. We are grateful for the support we have received from across the nation for the ongoing recovery efforts. This spirit got Louisiana through the hurricanes and this spirit will get our nation through the storms we face today.

Daniel
02-25-2009, 01:00 PM
I forgot, you lack the ability to clearly express what you mean in addition to being too lazy to read the source before you question its contents.

So, is this where I say "troll", neg rep you and then and act all indignant or are you done being a flowing vagina?

Daniel
02-25-2009, 01:02 PM
And I don't know if ClydeR can imply that Jindal really meant that Katrina taught us more government doesn't work. That's a basic party line for Republicans period, however this is probably where he got it from:

That's brilliant. If only the government had invested even less in leevee reinforcements and had absolutely no support for refugees, things would have been so much better.

Clove
02-25-2009, 01:07 PM
So, is this where I say "troll", neg rep you and then and act all indignant or are you done being a flowing vagina?Why, for responding to your unprovoked insult in kind? Whatever floats your boat you whiney bitch. All I did was quote the article you were too lazy to read before commenting. I did you a favor.

Daniel
02-25-2009, 01:12 PM
Why, for responding to your unprovoked insult in kind? Whatever floats your boat you whiney bitch. All I did was quote the article you were too lazy to read before commenting. I did you a favor.

Lol. Whiney [sic] bitch? Yea. I'm really crying it up over here.

Clove
02-25-2009, 01:14 PM
Lol. Whiney [sic] bitch? Yea. I'm really crying it up over here.Well I guess you set us all straight.

Daniel
02-25-2009, 01:15 PM
Well I guess you set us all straight.

Don't worry. I'll neg rep you every other day so you really know how I feel.

Clove
02-25-2009, 01:17 PM
Why, for responding to your unprovoked insult in kind? Whatever floats your boat you whiney bitch. All I did was quote the article you were too lazy to read before commenting. I did you a favor.

Don't worry. I'll neg rep you every other day so you really know how I feel.

Lol. Whiney [sic] bitch? Yea. I'm really crying it up over here.Careful your eyes are getting misty. Did you have anything to contribute or are you done making an ass out of yourself now?

ClydeR
02-25-2009, 01:31 PM
Did he really say this?

I was paraphrasing because it was too much to quote. But you can ask anybody here and they will tell you that, although they may disagree with my opinion on some occasions, I am always faithful in reporting facts.

Since you asked, I'll quote some more to substantiate my paraphrasing.

Regarding government--

Today in Washington, some are promising that government will rescue us from the economic storms raging all around us.

Those of us who lived through Hurricane Katrina -- we have our doubts.

Let me tell you a story.

During Katrina, I visited Sheriff Harry Lee, a Democrat and a good friend of mine. When I walked into his makeshift office, I'd never seen him so angry. He was yelling into the phone: "Well, I'm the Sheriff and if you don't like it you can come and arrest me!" I asked him: "Sheriff, what's got you so mad?" He told me that he had put out a call for volunteers to come with their boats to rescue people who were trapped on their rooftops by the floodwaters. The boats were all lined up ready to go, when some bureaucrat showed up and told them they couldn't go out on the water unless they had proof of insurance and registration. I told him, "Sheriff, that's ridiculous." And before I knew it, he was yelling into the phone: "Congressman Jindal is here, and he says you can come and arrest him too!" Harry just told the boaters to ignore the bureaucrats and go start rescuing people.

There is a lesson in this experience: The strength of America is not found in our government. It is found in the compassionate hearts and the enterprising spirit of our citizens. We are grateful for the support we have received from across the nation for the ongoing recovery efforts. This spirit got Louisiana through the hurricanes and this spirit will get our nation through the storms we face today.

Regarding tax cuts and spending--

To solve our current problems, Washington must lead. But the way to lead is not to raise taxes and not to just put more money and power in hands of Washington politicians. The way to lead is by empowering you, the American people. Because we believe that Americans can do anything.

That is why Republicans put forward plans to create jobs by lowering income tax rates for working families, cutting taxes for small businesses, strengthening incentives for businesses to invest in new equipment and hire new workers, and stabilizing home values by creating a new tax credit for home-buyers. These plans would cost less and create more jobs.

But Democratic leaders in Congress -- they rejected this approach. Instead of trusting us to make wise decisions with our own money, they passed the largest government spending bill in history, with a price tag of more than $1 trillion with interest. While some of the projects in the bill make sense, their legislation is larded with wasteful spending. It includes $300 million to buy new cars for the government, $8 billion for high-speed rail projects, such as a "magnetic levitation" line from Las Vegas to Disneyland, and $140 million for something called "volcano monitoring." Instead of monitoring volcanoes, what Congress should be monitoring is the eruption of spending in Washington, D.C.

Democratic leaders say their legislation will grow the economy. What it will do is grow the government, increase our taxes down the line, and saddle future generations with debt. Who among us would ask our children for a loan, so we could spend money we do not have, on things we do not need? That is precisely what the Democrats in Congress just did. It's irresponsible. And it's no way to strengthen our economy, create jobs, or build a prosperous future for our children.

In Louisiana, we took a different approach. Since I became governor, we cut more than 250 earmarks from our state budget. To create jobs for our citizens, we cut taxes six times -- including the largest income tax cut in the history of our state. We passed those tax cuts with bipartisan majorities. Republicans and Democrats put aside their differences -- we worked together to make sure our people could keep more of what they earn. If it can be done in Baton Rouge, surely it can be done in Washington, D.C.

You might as well read the whole thing (http://www.cnn.com/2009/POLITICS/02/24/sotn.jindal.transcript/), because I've probably quoted half of it by now. Or you can watch it here (http://bobbyjindal.com/).

Gan
02-25-2009, 02:05 PM
Internet access on blackberry: $15

Subscription to the PC: free

Watching Daniel have another vagina-melt: priceless

Drew
02-25-2009, 02:09 PM
That was a pep rally.

We are Bayside High. We're playing the Pittsburgh Steelers.

Everything is fucked.

You forgot our secret weapon Zach Morris. Now that he's got a hold of Jesse's caffeine pills he's basically unstoppable.

Keller
02-25-2009, 04:49 PM
You forgot our secret weapon Zach Morris. Now that he's got a hold of Jesse's caffeine pills he's basically unstoppable.

I'm so excited. I'm so, I'm so, . . . scared.

Daniel
02-25-2009, 05:38 PM
Careful your eyes are getting misty. Did you have anything to contribute or are you done making an ass out of yourself now?

Those multiple quotes of the things I said really hammered your point home. Kudos.

Daniel
02-25-2009, 05:39 PM
Internet access on blackberry: $15

Subscription to the PC: free

Watching Daniel have another vagina-melt: priceless

What's rent up to now a days?

Ravenstorm
02-25-2009, 05:42 PM
Okay, am I the only person who thought Jindal sounded like Kenneth from 30 Rock? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=czIXyofOwUo

Not even close to being the only one. (http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=53556541031)

Warriorbird
02-25-2009, 05:45 PM
The noteworthy thing about Jindal's approach is that sure... some businesses are doing pretty well down here... and things are staying somewhat placid for consumers/jobs... tax revenues are going to fall sharply, leaving the state government itself in a messed up situation.

He also accepted MOST of the stimulus... and there's still issues.

Clove
02-25-2009, 09:06 PM
Those multiple quotes of the things I said really hammered your point home. Kudos.

What's rent up to now a days?I guess you're not done.

Gan
02-25-2009, 10:04 PM
Its not even worthy of a response...