PDA

View Full Version : Real Time with Bill Mahr

Anebriated
11-21-2008, 11:41 AM
I know Ill probably get some flack from the armchair politicians of the board but does anyone else watch this? My girl has turned me on to the show and I find it hilarious. Discuss.

Keller
11-21-2008, 11:43 AM
My wife watches it.

I listen while working at my computer.

He's got some interesting points, but I think he's a pretentious dick.

I saw Religulous because I think it's an important movie. But I wish someone else would have done it. He seems so fucking self-important and cocky.

Ignot
11-21-2008, 11:44 AM
its the dumbest show on television. He thinks he is very funny but he is not. I can't sit through that show and I gave it a fair chance.

Anebriated
11-21-2008, 11:44 AM
I agree, he reminds me of Colbert and Stewart but has the restrictions of HBO(read: none).

SHAFT
11-21-2008, 11:45 AM
He gets really hot women, give him credit for that. I used to watch his show on network TV, but never got into the new one.

CrystalTears
11-21-2008, 11:46 AM

I saw Religulous because I think it's an important movie. But I wish someone else would have done it. He seems so fucking self-important and cocky.Agreed.

He's fucking Canadian. Like I care what he thinks.

Anebriated
11-21-2008, 11:50 AM
I agree with everyone that says hes too pretentious/pompus/canadian but in a way I think hes one of the few that could get away with most of what he does because of those very things. Im not sure other actors would have invoked the same reactions that he was able to get.

Hulkein
11-21-2008, 12:01 PM

I saw Religulous because I think it's an important movie. But I wish someone else would have done it. He seems so fucking self-important and cocky.

Agreed completely. Any good points he does make are drowned out by his pompous and obnoxious attitude. He is one of few famous people I would seriously consider hitting with a left to the face if I saw him at a bar or something.

Allereli
11-21-2008, 12:11 PM
A+ for any show that has Ashton Kutcher making more sense than a Republican Congresswoman

Hulkein
11-21-2008, 12:19 PM
I'd give it a D for putting a Congressperson on dumb enough to make less sense than Ashton Kutcher (though I've never seen that exchange so I'll take your word for it). An F goes to the people who elected someone like that.

Allereli
11-21-2008, 12:22 PM
I'd give it a D for putting a Congressperson on dumb enough to make less sense than Ashton Kutcher (though I've never seen that exchange so I'll take your word for it). An F goes to the people who elected someone like that.

it was on the season finale. Diddy was awful as the first guest. The Rep was from Florida. Mahr is no more of a pretentious dick than the people who post regularly in the politics folders

Anebriated
11-21-2008, 12:23 PM
Ashton is actually pretty good in that episode(most recent one). I didnt like the video guest interview(P. Diddy) but the panel was a good one.

Hulkein.... she was from Florida....

Atlanteax
11-21-2008, 12:46 PM
I watch Real Time now and then.

I don't know if anyone caught the show *years* ago... but Bill Mahr *used* to take a very pro Iraq War attitude.

Then it moved into the middle ground as the war dragged on... and is nowadays very anti Iraq War ... as the horrid mismanagement of the campaign increasingly becomes more apparent.

nub
11-21-2008, 01:06 PM
I watch it whenever I see it on as well. It's somewhat entertaining.

What I find is, some of his guests are sooo damn stupid. Both sides.

Also, the majority of his laughs come from just common used lines throughout comedians. Like if he doesn't get a laugh or to make a point he'll just say "oh and I bet you like President Bush". This usually results in his whole audience crying and applauding in laughter.

Gan
11-21-2008, 03:57 PM
I've watched a few shows of his when he's had good guests on.

I cant stand the host personally. Everything about him gets on my nerves.

I do like watching the Colbert Report.

CrystalTears
11-21-2008, 04:14 PM
I do like watching the Colbert Report.It doesn't even compare. The Daily Show and the Colbert Report are fucking awesome.

Allereli
11-21-2008, 04:22 PM
It doesn't even compare. The Daily Show and the Colbert Report are fucking awesome.

Comedy Central needs to start broadcasting in HD

CrystalTears
11-21-2008, 04:28 PM
Comedy Central needs to start broadcasting in HD
Hell yes.

Keller
11-21-2008, 04:31 PM
Two women would want to see Jon Stewart and Steven Colbert in HD.

Fucking predictable.

Allereli
11-21-2008, 04:34 PM
Two women would want to see Jon Stewart and Steven Colbert in HD.

Fucking predictable.

No it's just that I don't look at regular channels anymore when I flip through my guide. I start at 210 and go up from there.

Keller
11-21-2008, 04:37 PM
No it's just that I don't look at regular channels anymore when I flip through my guide. I start at 210 and go up from there.

No, really!

I subscribe for the articles!

Gan
11-21-2008, 04:54 PM
It doesn't even compare. The Daily Show and the Colbert Report are fucking awesome.

The daily show is ok. Agreed on Colbert, he is fucking hilarious.

tyrant-201
11-22-2008, 12:58 PM
Agreed.

He's fucking Canadian. Like I care what he thinks.

Not sure where you're getting your facts. He's not Canadian.

Personally I find the show pretty funny. Don't agree with all his points, and yeah sometimes he's a pompous asshole, but it's amusing nonetheless.

Proxy
11-22-2008, 01:09 PM
I don't watch TV, and this makes me very happy right now.

ElanthianSiren
11-22-2008, 03:09 PM
I don't watch TV, and this makes me very happy right now.

agreed. Your avatar wins forever.

CrystalTears
11-22-2008, 05:30 PM
Not sure where you're getting your facts. He's not Canadian.My bad, you're right. I'm not sure where I got the idea he was Canadian. It doesn't change the fact that I don't agree with him nor do I find him funny.

Clove
11-22-2008, 05:34 PM
Yeah he doesn't have to be Canadian to be a retard. According to Wiki, he serves on PETA's board. There's a good reason to roll your eyes at him.

Warriorbird
11-22-2008, 05:47 PM
Only thing said so far that bothers me is the PETA thing. If we had to remove the pretentious from political TV all that would be left would be Stewart and Colbert.

Even D.L. Hughley acquired pretention when he got his show.

I'll watch it sometimes. The degree it offends some of my conservative roommates is probably the funniest bit.

Hulkein
11-23-2008, 10:24 AM
There are degrees of pretentiousness.

Apathy
11-23-2008, 10:35 AM
Mahr is not funny. Daily show is funniest when he doesn't hold back, but usually its so left leaning I find it kind of silly.

Colbert is by far and away the best political show on TV. Long live satire.

Parkbandit
11-23-2008, 11:14 AM
Colbert is by far and away the best political show on TV. Long live satire.

:?:

Colbert is satire!?

BigWorm
11-23-2008, 04:26 PM
:?:

Colbert is satire!?

-1, Flamebait

Stanley Burrell
11-23-2008, 04:34 PM
Poutine.

TheEschaton
11-26-2008, 10:50 AM
I love Bill Maher, and I love it x 1000 when Cornel West comes on, because he's the only liberal who ever dresses Bill down for being idiotic on some points.

That being said, the Congresswoman from FL wasn't being idiotic, she was being deliberately obtuse, and toeing the party line while trying to separate herself from the neocon part of the GOP. I actually don't like it when politicians are on Bill Maher (Dem or Rep) because they're always nervously laughing and trying not to say something that'll fuck them forever.

-TheE-

BigWorm
11-26-2008, 01:10 PM
I love Bill Maher, and I love it x 1000 when Cornel West comes on, because he's the only liberal who ever dresses Bill down for being idiotic on some points.

That being said, the Congresswoman from FL wasn't being idiotic, she was being deliberately obtuse, and toeing the party line while trying to separate herself from the neocon part of the GOP. I actually don't like it when politicians are on Bill Maher (Dem or Rep) because they're always nervously laughing and trying not to say something that'll fuck them forever.

-TheE-

You forgot to mention that Cornel West looks totally fucking hilarious.

http://posthumousluger.com/wp-content/uploads/2008/04/cornel-west-fred-small.jpg