PDA

View Full Version : Obama ad in a video game

ClydeR
10-14-2008, 12:05 PM
Obama Advertising Within a Video Game

October 14, 2008 11:04 AM

The virtual world within the Xbox 360 racing game "Burnout Paradise" features an Obama for President billboard -- indicating the first time a presidential candidate has advertised in a video game.

The gaming website Gamepolitics first posted the image of the Obama billboard within the fantasy computer world.

Holly Rockwood, director of corporate communications at Electronic Arts, confirmed to the gaming blog Gigaom, that "like most television, radio and print outlets, we accept advertising from credible political candidates. Like political spots on the television networks, these ads do not reflect the political policies of EA or the opinions of its development teams.”

Advertising Age applauds the move as savvy, saying, "we as advertisers have used the gaming space to reach the 18- to 34-year-old demographic so why shouldn't a presidential candidate use it as well?"

Obama has said in the past, "We’re going to have to parent better, and turn off the television set, and put the video games away, and instill a sense of excellence in our children, and that’s going to take some time.”

But presumably these ads -- which advise that early voting has begun, and directs voters to an Obama website that provides voting information -- are targeted at those 18 and older.

So what's next? Obama product placement on "Lost" and "Heroes"?

More... (http://blogs.abcnews.com/politicalpunch/2008/10/obama-advertisi.html)

I'm surprised that 18 to 34 year olds are the target. I would have thought mostly kids played video games.

Gan
10-14-2008, 12:08 PM
I would have thought mostly kids played video games.

You're posting that here?

Seriously?

:lol:

Allereli
10-14-2008, 12:13 PM
I'm surprised that 18 to 34 year olds are the target. I would have thought mostly kids played video games.

I think most people ages 20-40 keep a video game system in their home now.

Moist Happenings
10-14-2008, 12:39 PM
Meh. It WAS mostly kids that played video games. You know. Us. Then we got older and didn't stop playing. Now our kids play, and our kids kids..well they might not have such luxuries unless we fix what we fucked up with the economy.

Keller
10-14-2008, 12:42 PM
Meh. It WAS mostly kids that played video games. You know. Us. Then we got older and didn't stop playing. Now our kids play, and our kids kids..well they might not have such luxuries unless we fix what we fucked up with the economy.

Video games are about the cheapest entertainment around.

Nieninque
10-14-2008, 01:04 PM

Your kids have kids?
I thought you were 25?
Fucking pikeys.

Sean
10-14-2008, 03:15 PM
Your kids have kids?
I thought you were 25?
Fucking pikeys.

Given his hardon in the past for Leloo it's not like he's going for quality. Besides do you honestly think he's bright enough to wear a condom?

Moist Happenings
10-14-2008, 03:59 PM
No. I don't have children. I was speaking in generalities.

My point is that at least in America we are a generation living far beyond our means, and unless we do something to right it, down the line we may not be as fortunate as we have been in recent history.

Moist Happenings
10-14-2008, 04:35 PM
Given his hardon in the past for Leloo it's not like he's going for quality. Besides do you honestly think he's bright enough to wear a condom?

While I don't appreciate the unfounded (to my knowledge) personal attack, I can live with it.

That's not why I'm responding to this though. I'm man enough to admit when I do something stupid. I was just a kid trying to get laid at that point. I had no intention of doing anything but that with Christina. Yeah, it was a totally asshole thing to do. At the time I figured she'd be an easy lay. That was my approach to women when I was younger. Granted, not much younger, but I don't think anyone will disagree that there is a lot of growing up involved between the ages of 19 (when that was going on) and 25.

I don't know if Christina still reads the forums, but even so it's not my intention to say anything negative about her. She's a great girl, and she was smart enough to stay the hell away from me.

I don't know about anything that went on regarding her during my absence for you or others to have formed a negative opinion, but to me she was always kind, and generally good, albeit a bit opinionated. She and I didn't usually agree on much. That's fine by me. I don't like her any less.

Xaerve
10-14-2008, 04:54 PM
Jesus Christ Neff... go beat off or something.

Moist Happenings
10-14-2008, 04:58 PM
Jesus Christ Neff... go beat off or something.

Wha? I said when I was a kid I was trying to get some tail. I'm pretty sure most of the men on earth have been guilty of that at some point. What about that suggests I need to beat off now?

Keller
10-14-2008, 05:43 PM
Where did this thread end up?

Moist Happenings
10-14-2008, 06:04 PM

In the gutter. With my mind.

On topic: I'm not surprised that they're putting ads into games now. I AM surprised that with every inch of free space in the world being taken up by advertisements, digitally or otherwise, that companies have not shown a massive decline in ad productivity due to desensitization.

Personally I don't even notice advertisements anymore. On a conscious level, anyway.

Nieninque
10-15-2008, 03:34 AM

You're welcome

Mabus
10-15-2008, 04:53 AM
Personally I don't even notice advertisements anymore. On a conscious level, anyway.
That is when they become most effective.

Moist Happenings
10-15-2008, 05:12 AM
That is when they become most effective.

Yeah I can see a bit about what you mean. A few years back I would have argued that "advertisements don't work on me". I'm smart enough now to realize that concept is absolute horse crap. I can look at an advertisement and say "Okay that part's marketing fluff. Okay that part's twisting something to make it sound better. Okay so this truck is rated best in initial quality. Great. Wouldn't I really rather have the one best in you know..extended quality?", but the heart of the advertisement still gets to you. It lets you know that product is out there. You're not just randomly running into something in a store and saying "Hey, I didn't know that existed.". You might run into it in a store and remember that the advertisement was all marketing fluff and bullshit, but the important part is that you remember that product.