PDA

View Full Version : LA NOW President Shelley Mandell backs McCain/Palin

Mabus
10-07-2008, 07:51 AM
ABC - LA NOW Prez on Palin: 'America, This is What a Feminist Looks Like' (http://blogs.abcnews.com/politicalpunch/2008/10/la-now-prez-on.html)

"Make no mistake," Mandell said. "I'm a life-long Democrat ... I don't agree with Gov. Palin on several issues." And yet, she said, "I know Sarah Palin cares about women’s rights, she cares about equality, she cares about equal pay, and as Vice President she will fight for it. She cares about our children and she cares about women's lives. She's an athlete and she knows what Title Nine did for girls like her."

Great to see a woman not afraid of the DNC.

YouTube of the Event (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ao0itsSFYqE)

Love the Madeleine Albright quote off Palin's cup:
"There's a place in hell reserved for women who don't support other women."

Good morning! :welcome:

Ilvane
10-07-2008, 08:23 AM
How a NOW President could support the Republican Party is pretty amazing to me.

Angela

DeV
10-07-2008, 10:08 AM
They don't.

http://www.canow.org/canoworg/2008/10/now-supports-ob.html

A member and officer of the Los Angeles NOW chapter, Shelly Mandell, recently introduced Governor Sarah Palin at an event in Carson, California. Ms. Mandell was speaking as an individual and was not authorized to represent NOW, the NOW PAC or LA NOW in any capacity in connection with a federal candidate endorsement. As NOW President Kim Gandy said upon Palin’s selection , "Not every woman supports women's rights." (http://www.now.org/press/08-08/08-29.html)
The use of Shelly Mandell’s Los Angeles NOW title was apparently intended to mislead the public, and indeed has resulted in local television outlets and internet reports misstating that LA NOW has “endorsed” Sarah Palin or that she has a record of supporting women’s rights. This in fact is not the case. (http://www.canow.org/canoworg/2008/09/why-sarah-palin.html)

Clove
10-07-2008, 10:14 AM
How a NOW President could support the Republican Party is pretty amazing to me.

AngelaMaybe she was upset that Obama got the nomination.

Oh and DeV, as much as I love you- for once Ilvane qualified her statement with "NOW President" not NOW itself.

DeV
10-07-2008, 10:27 AM
What's love got to do with it?

Good catch.

Kefka
10-07-2008, 10:28 AM
Maybe she was upset that Obama got the nomination.

Oh and DeV, as much as I love you- for once Ilvane qualified her statement with "NOW President" not NOW itself.

The fact that NOW had to clarify their position meant that the assumption was there.

Clove
10-07-2008, 10:32 AM
The fact that NOW had to clarify their position meant that the assumption was there.It's been reported correctly. NOW clarified their position because people don't know the difference between "NOW President endorses" and "NOW endorses". Who's fault is that?

ClydeR
10-07-2008, 10:41 AM
They don't.

Governor Palin addressed that very issue at the same event.

“It’s like kind of providential yesterday what happened to me,” Palin said. “I am reading on my Starbucks mocha cup the quote of the day. You’ll never believe what the quote was! It was Madeleine Albright, former secretary of state and U.N. ambassador, and Madeleine has as her quote of the day for Starbucks — now she said it, I didn’t say it — ‘There is a place in hell reserved for women who don’t support other women.’ OK now, thank you so much for receiving that well, I didn’t know how that was gonna go over. And now California, let’s see what a comment like I just made, let’s see what it will be turned into . . . newspaper.”

More... (http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/washington/2008/10/truthsquadding.html)

DeV
10-07-2008, 11:16 AM
Governor Palin addressed that very issue at the same event.I support other women, especially. In bed.

Both parties are comprised of women who support other women. That line of thinking didn't work for Clinton and it's not going to work for Palin either.

DeV
10-07-2008, 11:19 AM
Who's fault is that?According to NOW, we have local television outlets and Internet reporters to blame. It happens in politics. The clarification was necessary assuming their position.

TheEschaton
10-07-2008, 03:26 PM
I'd be interested in finding out what Shelley Mandell's belief is supposedly based in, when she says Palin supports women's rights, because, yanno, it's actually the opposite.

Crazy Bard
10-07-2008, 03:32 PM
Was she supporting Obama up until Palin was picked as the VP?

People who switch sides like that obviously aren't voting based off the issues. Gender should have nothing to do with it.

CrystalTears
10-07-2008, 03:36 PM
I'd be interested in finding out what Shelley Mandell's belief is supposedly based in, when she says Palin supports women's rights, because, yanno, it's actually the opposite.
I've noticed that many women voting for her don't consider abortion the end-all, be-all of women's rights.

Clove
10-07-2008, 03:57 PM
I'd be interested in finding out what Shelley Mandell's belief is supposedly based in, when she says Palin supports women's rights, because, yanno, it's actually the opposite.Really? In what way?

Mighty Nikkisaurus
10-07-2008, 04:00 PM
Governor Palin addressed that very issue at the same event.

She also misquoted Albright. Good to know what one of her vast sources of information is, though.

TheEschaton
10-07-2008, 04:07 PM
Just going off her quote: "I don't agree with Gov. Palin on several issues." And yet, she said, "I know Sarah Palin cares about women’s rights, she cares about equality, she cares about equal pay, and as Vice President she will fight for it. "

Which women's rights does Sarah Palin support that Joe Biden supposedly doesn't? Equal pay? Equality? I'm sure Joe Biden is against those things for women! Yet she is definitely against the right to choose, which is, despite what CT might say, one of the most defining "rights" specific to women now. Her handling of the rape policy in Wasilla, in comparison to Biden's authorship of VAWA (no matter how bad the constitutionality of it is, the intent is good) is another issue of concern.

So, like I said, I'd love to know why she would endorse Palin for "being for women's rights" which Biden, I assure you, isn't against. If it is, like someone said previously, just because she's a woman, there's something wrong there, especially in light of Palin's beliefs about other women's rights.
-TheE-

DeV
10-07-2008, 04:15 PM
Was she supporting Obama up until Palin was picked as the VP?
She made contributions to Hillary Clinton's campaign earlier this year and late 2007.

Mabus
10-07-2008, 06:30 PM
Maybe she believes women should have the right to be president and vice president, unlike OBaba.

Tea & Strumpets
10-07-2008, 06:53 PM
If it is, like someone said previously, just because she's a woman, there's something wrong there, especially in light of Palin's beliefs about other women's rights.
-TheE-

I'm not sure why you'd bother to objecting to that kind of silly thinking, when it's prevalent no matter who you are voting for. I'm sure there are tons of imbeciles that base their vote on sex and skin color, from both parties.