PDA

View Full Version : McCain Accuses Press of 'Gotcha Journalism'

Daniel
09-30-2008, 01:51 PM
http://voices.washingtonpost.com/the-trail/2008/09/29/mccain_accuses_press_of_gotcha.html

John McCain accused the media of "gotcha journalism" in response to a question about whether his running mate had contradicted him on his policy toward Pakistan.

Over the weekend, Sarah Palin told a voter in a restaurant that the U.S. should launch cross-border attacks from Afghanistan into Pakistan to "stop the terrorists from coming any further in." That appeared to contradict McCain's criticism of Barack Obama for talking about such potential tactics in public.

In a joint interview with CBS's Katie Couric Monday, McCain defended Palin and at one point intercepted a question intended for her. Here's how the exchange went:

COURIC: Is that something you shouldn't say out loud, Sen. McCain?

McCAIN: Of course not. But, look, I understand this day and age "gotcha" journalism. Is that a pizza place? In a conversation with someone who you didn't hear ... the question very well, you don't know the context of the conversation. Grab a phrase. Gov. Palin and I agree that you don't announce that you're going to attack another country.

COURIC: Are you sorry you said it ...

McCAIN: ...And the fact ...

COURIC: Governor?

McCAIN: Wait a minute. Before you say, "is she sorry she said it," this was a "gotcha" sound bite that, look ...

COURIC: It wasn't a "gotcha." She was talking to a voter.

McCAIN: No, she was in a conversation with a group of people and talking back and forth.

-----

:facepalm:

Warriorbird
09-30-2008, 01:59 PM
Straight Talk Express! Not.

ClydeR
09-30-2008, 02:38 PM
Why Couric again? There are lots of other interviewers who would like to get a chance to talk to Palin. I don't understand why they chose Couric a second time. Couric's earlier interivew of Palin (aired in two (http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2008/09/24/eveningnews/main4476173.shtml) parts (http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2008/09/25/eveningnews/main4479062.shtml), so far) was not exactly a success for Palin.

I think it has something to do with the parts of the first Couric-Palin interview that have not yet been aired.

It may have been a turning point for Couric, who was persistent without being overbearing, in shedding early doubts about her ability to be a commanding presence in the CBS anchor chair. And the worst may be yet to come for Palin; sources say CBS has two more responses on tape that will likely prove embarrassing.

While some journalists say privately they are censoring their comments about Palin to avoid looking like they're piling on, pundits on the right are jumping ship. MSNBC's Joe Scarborough says Palin "just seems out of her league." National Review Editor Rich Lowry called her performance "dreadful." Dallas Morning News columnist Rod Dreher described the interview as a "train wreck." Conservative columnist Kathleen Parker urged Palin to quit the race, saying: "If BS were currency, Palin could bail out Wall Street herself."

More... (http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2008/09/28/AR2008092802587_3.html)

Of concern to McCain's campaign, however, is a remaining and still-undisclosed clip from Palin's interview with Couric last week that has the political world buzzing.

The Palin aide, after first noting how "infuriating" it was for CBS to purportedly leak word about the gaffe, revealed that it came in response to a question about Supreme Court decisions.

After noting Roe vs. Wade, Palin was apparently unable to discuss any major court cases.

There was no verbal fumbling with this particular question as there was with some others, the aide said, but rather silence.

More... (http://www.politico.com/blogs/jonathanmartin/0908/In_reintroduction_Palin_to_do_more_interviews_and_ tell_her_story.html)

I think McCain and Palin are trying to get a good relationship with Couric by granting her multiple interviews in the hope that the as yet unaired parts of the earlier interview will remain unaired. It would look pretty odd for Couric to dig up tape from an earlier interview with Palin after airing the new interview with both McCain and Palin. As a matter of fact, it would look like Couric was just trying to embarrass Palin.

I don't like the new practice of dividing up a 30 minute interview into 5 nights of 6 highly edited minutes. Just air the whole thing all at once.

So says Clyde.

Snapp
09-30-2008, 09:13 PM
http://www.nbc.com/Saturday_Night_Live/video/clips/couric-palin-open/704042/

The sad part is that it's almost exactly like the real interview. She's an embarrassment to the Republican party, imo.

Stretch
09-30-2008, 10:09 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lj3iNxZ8Dww

There is an eerie similarity between Palin's Couric interview and Miss Carolina's response to her civic question in Miss Teen USA

Both very attractive, but the lights don't appear to be on in either case

Snapp
09-30-2008, 11:38 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lj3iNxZ8Dww

There is an eerie similarity between Palin's Couric interview and Miss Carolina's response to her civic question in Miss Teen USA

Both very attractive, but the lights don't appear to be on in either case

lol

Except one might end up as president someday.

Mighty Nikkisaurus
09-30-2008, 11:45 PM
I did a grimace and a facepalm when I saw this clip:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xRkWebP2Q0Y&eurl

Another example of "Gotcha" journalism! Katie Couric is VICIOUS.

ViridianAsp
09-30-2008, 11:51 PM
I did a grimace and a facepalm when I saw this clip:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xRkWebP2Q0Y&eurl

Another example of "Gotcha" journalism! Katie Couric is VICIOUS.

I'd do the same thing, I totally blank when nervous or speaking to people I don't know. It looks to me like Palin is being human, guess it's just me.

Mighty Nikkisaurus
09-30-2008, 11:59 PM
I don't think an inability to be articulate under pressure is a strength, especially not in a politician. It's not like I think Palin actually hasn't read anything, it's that I find it alarming that she trips up and "blanks" when Couric asks her a pretty simple question.. so what happens when the stakes are higher?

Snapp
10-01-2008, 12:01 AM
I'd do the same thing, I totally blank when nervous or speaking to people I don't know.

But you aren't running for vice president of the United States...

ViridianAsp
10-01-2008, 12:06 AM

Just because you fumble verbally when nervous doesn't make you a bad leader, your choices do that. *shrugs* I think that just because she blanks a bit doesn't make her an absolute fuck up.

Mighty Nikkisaurus
10-01-2008, 12:16 AM
Being able to communicate effectively under pressure is an important aspect of being a good leader. I agree that it's not just one thing alone that goes into it, but just making good choices isn't everything either. You can make a great choice but if you have poor communication skills, and you can't get people to sign on with you and follow you, you're not going to be much of a leader then either.

It doesn't make her a "total fuck up" but it IS a major weakness for her, especially in a job that by its very description includes a lot of high-pressure public speaking. I think thats a good reason why it concerns people.

Kranar
10-01-2008, 12:16 AM
Getting nervous and stumbling because a reporter asks you what you read should raise some concern about your leadership ability.

She isn't a victim, she is someone who is running to be the Vice President of the United States of America. This whole business of trying to shield her and coddle her like a poor innocent woman is sickening.

Kranar
10-01-2008, 12:18 AM
Being able to communicate effectively under pressure is an important aspect of being a good leader.

I know, so much intense pressure from Couric in being asked "What do you read to form your view of the world?"

I mean jeez... that's a pretty intense question.

diethx
10-01-2008, 12:30 AM
She's afraid to admit that she reads just Highlights magazine. She likes the puzzles. They're tough.

Mighty Nikkisaurus
10-01-2008, 12:33 AM
She's afraid to admit that she reads just Highlights magazine. She likes the puzzles. They're tough.

:lol:

On another forum I'm posting on, this same topic is being discussed and someone just posted: "You guys, I think this is pretty clear. She reads everything: New York Times, Wall Street Journal, Ranger Rick.."

TheEschaton
10-01-2008, 11:17 AM
Maybe she's just embarassed that she reads liberal rags like the NYT.

DeV
10-01-2008, 11:35 AM
Bachelors Degree in Journalism.

No wonder she choose politics instead.

Jorddyn
10-01-2008, 11:51 AM
Just because you fumble verbally when nervous doesn't make you a bad leader, your choices do that.

Is it wrong that I prefer my leaders to not fumble verbally when nervous, and that they be well versed in important domestic and foreign policies?

Otherwise, what happens the first time Palin is seated next to Ahmadinejad at a state dinner?

Nieninque
10-01-2008, 11:57 AM
lol

Except one might end up as president someday.

I would love it if Miss Carolina got elected.

thefarmer
10-01-2008, 12:03 PM

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3073/2425121831_bb639583d8.jpg

Clove
10-01-2008, 12:43 PM
I would love it if Miss Carolina got elected.North or South?

ClydeR
10-01-2008, 01:06 PM
Also, check out the current rundown of http://www.electoral-vote.com.

That site has not been updated for the new Quinnipiac polls (http://www.quinnipiac.edu/x2882.xml?ReleaseID=1218) that came out this morning. After that update, McCain will be exactly where he wants to be -- the underestimated scrappy underdog climbing his way to the top, just like the did in the Republican primary.

Mabus
10-01-2008, 07:10 PM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Glrnb_G34E4

Imagine the uproar if Palin had said that?

Back
10-01-2008, 08:56 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BSE_saVX_2A&feature=related

Mabus
10-01-2008, 09:06 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BSE_saVX_2A&feature=related
:wtf:

I thought we were discussing "gaffes" by current VP candidates in this thread.

If Biden firmly believes that President FDR got on the television stations directly after the stock market crash to ease the minds of citizens then it fits in this thread.

If Governor Palin had said such a thing as that it would be replayed, every day, for at least a week. Every Obama supporter here would be questioning her knowledge and ability to lead.

Biden gets a pass. Media let's it go.

Questions of this nature seem only relevant when the focus is a female, or a GOP candidate.

Mighty Nikkisaurus
10-01-2008, 09:58 PM
Questions of this nature seem only relevant when the focus is a female, or a GOP candidate.

OMG THE MEDIA IS SO SEXIST!!!

Mabus
10-01-2008, 10:08 PM
OMG THE MEDIA IS SO SEXIST!!!
Explain why the Biden gaffe is not aired?

Mighty Nikkisaurus
10-01-2008, 10:27 PM
Explain why the Biden gaffe is not aired?

It has been talked about and most people have heard of it, but regardless--

I'm not gonna pretend that Biden didn't fuck up, because he did. But beyond the that-- he's actually letting the media have access to him. Biden has allowed media to be around him nearly 24-7, letting them get to know him and making plenty of other statements. It counteracts and provides a lot more scope on which to judge his statements.

Palin has been shielded and protected against the press-- and then in the very LIMITED interviews or statements they get out of her, she manages to fuck up, over and over and over again. Palin doesn't have just one "In what respect, Charlie?" in the past few weeks, she has multiple ones on multiple issues over a VERY short timespan.

Then McCain's campaign comes out and slams the media, namecalling them and condemning them. How do you think the media is going to react when they are denied access to the VP candidate, when they're heavily controlled and moderated by the campaign when they are given access, and then when they play it back to the public are insulted and have their credibility called into question? I'm sure that absolutely makes them want to try to only air clips that show Palin in a favorable light.

I mean here's a running list so far:

- not knowing what the Bush Doctrine is
- trying to say that being closest to Russia gives her foreign policy experience
- spewing nearly incoherent gibberish on the bail out and why it's important
- coming out right after the debate where McCain says "You just don't say that" about Pakistan, and agreeing with Obama's position (unknowingly)
- not being able to mention where she's read her news
- not being able to name and explain a supreme court case other than Roe v. Wade that she agrees with

You probably won't find a person alive who'll say that Biden has absolutely not messed up. But Palin's performance in interviews/questions the last couple of weeks has been a monumental failure and there's no reason why the media should have to paint it as being an "equal" amount of gaffes when it's not even comparable. Calling it sexism is an absolute cop out.

Tisket
10-01-2008, 10:40 PM
Getting nervous and stumbling because a reporter asks you what you read should raise some concern about your leadership ability.

Get your head out of your ass dude. It was all a ploy. After all, she can't fail to exceed expectations now.

/nod

TheRunt
10-03-2008, 02:25 AM
It has been talked about and most people have heard of it, but regardless--

I'm not gonna pretend that Biden didn't fuck up, because he did. But beyond the that-- he's actually letting the media have access to him. Biden has allowed media to be around him nearly 24-7, letting them get to know him and making plenty of other statements. It counteracts and provides a lot more scope on which to judge his statements.

Palin has been shielded and protected against the press-- and then in the very LIMITED interviews or statements they get out of her, she manages to fuck up, over and over and over again. Palin doesn't have just one "In what respect, Charlie?" in the past few weeks, she has multiple ones on multiple issues over a VERY short timespan.

Then McCain's campaign comes out and slams the media, namecalling them and condemning them. How do you think the media is going to react when they are denied access to the VP candidate, when they're heavily controlled and moderated by the campaign when they are given access, and then when they play it back to the public are insulted and have their credibility called into question? I'm sure that absolutely makes them want to try to only air clips that show Palin in a favorable light.

I mean here's a running list so far:

- trying to say that being closest to Russia gives her foreign policy experience
- spewing nearly incoherent gibberish on the bail out and why it's important
- coming out right after the debate where McCain says "You just don't say that" about Pakistan, and agreeing with Obama's position (unknowingly)
- not being able to mention where she's read her news
- not being able to name and explain a supreme court case other than Roe v. Wade that she agrees with

You probably won't find a person alive who'll say that Biden has absolutely not messed up. But Palin's performance in interviews/questions the last couple of weeks has been a monumental failure and there's no reason why the media should have to paint it as being an "equal" amount of gaffes when it's not even comparable. Calling it sexism is an absolute cop out.

Actually she answered halfway correctly on the latest version of the Bush doctrine. Although the creator of the term said they were both wrong.

She has overseen agreements with Russia and Canada on fishing and other agreements. Because of Alaska's close distance between the two.

- not being able to mention where she's read her news.
She doesn't want to give credibility to mags and papers that are bashing her. Would you?