PDA

View Full Version : Beware the Cone of Silence

crb
08-18-2008, 01:25 PM
This is pretty crazy...

http://www.politico.com/news/stories/0808/12594.html
http://www.nytimes.com/2008/08/18/us/politics/18mccain.html?ref=politics

http://newsbusters.org/blogs/d-s-hube/2008/08/17/nbcs-andrea-mitchell-floats-idea-mccain-cheated

Videotape)

SEN. JOHN McCAIN (R-AZ): Defeat it. Couple of points. One, if I'm president of the United States, my friends, if I have to follow him to the gates of hell, I will get Osama bin Laden and bring him to justice. I will do that and I know how to do it. I will get that done.

(End videotape)

MR. GREGORY: Andrea Mitchell, that's a pretty clear contrast.

MS. ANDREA MITCHELL: Oh, absolutely. And, you know, there was the crisp, immediate, forceful response by John McCain, clearly in a comfort zone because he was with his base. And Barack Obama, taking a risk in going there but seeing an opportunity. And a much more nuanced approach. The Obama people must feel that he didn't do quite as well as they might have wanted to in that context, because that -- what they're putting out privately is that McCain may not have been in the cone of silence and may have had some ability to overhear what the questions were to Obama.

MR. GREGORY: Right.

MS. MITCHELL: He seemed so well prepared.

I went to a John McCain rally during the primary in January. His line about finding Osama was said at that rally, going to the gates of hell and all that. He has said it numerous times since, it is his line for finding Osama, I think it is a little over the top, but it is vintage McCain.

So NBC news insinuates that McCain knew Obama gave a wishy washy answer and so purposefully came up with a more forceful response? His response was his standard response he has used probably hundreds and hundreds of times. ... le sigh

Audriana
08-18-2008, 01:31 PM
You don't?

Politics isn't a game. People don't just happen to take a hard stance on something their opponent is so-so about.

Make no mistake, Every single word these people say is carefully and artistically choreographed and rehearsed. Every stance is carefully debated vs likely voter's attitudes toward it.

I do think that McCain wants to get Bin Laden. But he certainly is playing this race very strategically, just as Obama is.

ClydeR
08-18-2008, 01:34 PM
McCain’s Secret Plan to Capture Bin Laden

Alex Frangos reports from Florida on the presidential race.

John McCain says in almost every stump speech that he knows how to capture Osama bin Laden and that he’d follow the al Qaeda leader to the “Gates of Hell.”

So Washington Wire was wondering, what does McCain know that President Bush and the Pentagon don’t about how to sweep up America’s most elusive enemy.

“One thing I will not do is telegraph my punches. Osama bin Laden will be the last to know,” he said today while riding on the back of his bus between Florida events. In other words: he’s not telling. Why not share his strategy with the current occupant of the White House? “Because I have my own ideas and it would require implementation of certain policies and procedures that only as the president of the United States can be taken.”

That response, of course, echoes Richard Nixon’s campaign promise in 1968 to stop the Vietnam War. Nixon also declined to say what his plan was. America’s involvement in the Vietnam war continued until 1973.

As for the Gates of Hell themselves, McCain says he knows all about them. “I think I’ve been close,” he joked.

http://blogs.wsj.com/washwire/2008/01/27/mccains-secret-plan-to-capture-bin-laden (http://blogs.wsj.com/washwire/2008/01/27/mccains-secret-plan-to-capture-bin-laden/)

Yes, McCain's secret plan to follow Bin Laden to the Gates of Hell has been widely reported. I just wish he'd share the secret plan with President Bush so we don't have to wait until McCain is elected, if he is elected. And if Obama beats McCain, I hope McCain will tell Obama the secret.

Stanley Burrell
08-18-2008, 01:39 PM
McCain is senile as shit and is the incarnate of Reagan signing the NATO treaty and then not remembering it the same day due to Alzheimer's.

I'm honestly satisfied with Obama having been ahead in the polls. At this point, if he wins the election, it would be phenomenal, but I like the fact that claustrophobic hicks have had a black man's enthralling presence brought to their fucking faces.

Make no mistake, Every single word these people say is carefully and artistically choreographed and rehearsed. Every stance is carefully debated vs likely voter's attitudes toward it.

Thanks.

Audriana
08-18-2008, 01:45 PM
Yes, McCain's secret plan to follow Bin Laden to the Gates of Hell has been widely reported. I just wish he'd share the secret plan with President Bush so we don't have to wait until McCain is elected, if he is elected. And if Obama beats McCain, I hope McCain will tell Obama the secret.http://members.cox.net/valendros/Gnomes_plan2.PNG

Tisket
08-18-2008, 01:54 PM
Members of the McCain campaign staff, who flew here Sunday from California, said Mr. McCain was in his motorcade on the way to the church as Mr. Obama was being interviewed

Everyone seems to be missing the REAL issue here...McCain has a punctuality problem.

Dirty rat bastard.

AnticorRifling
08-18-2008, 01:58 PM
McCain is senile as shit and is the incarnate of Reagan ....

http://i24.photobucket.com/albums/c5/Alicabob/Random%20Stuff/1168882797791.gif

Stanley Burrell
08-18-2008, 02:04 PM
That is the greatest Reagan Smash I have ever seen.

crb
08-18-2008, 02:14 PM
You don't?

Politics isn't a game. People don't just happen to take a hard stance on something their opponent is so-so about.

I do think that McCain wants to get Bin Laden. But he certainly is playing this race very strategically, just as Obama is.
The point was, he was being accused of making up that response on the spot because he had heard Obama's response. This would be impossible considering he has been saying what he said for months - it wasn't an audible.

Audriana
08-18-2008, 02:21 PM
Well you know what they say about the mainstream media...
http://www.funnyordie.com/videos/0bfa43fc05

Parkbandit
08-18-2008, 02:23 PM
The point was, he was being accused of making up that response on the spot because he had heard Obama's response. This would be impossible considering he has been saying what he said for months - it wasn't an audible.

Are you really surprised by NBC or Andrea Mitchell? They've been tossing Obama's salad since he entered the race.

ClydeR
08-18-2008, 03:25 PM
Are you really surprised by NBC or Andrea Mitchell? They've been tossing Obama's salad since he entered the race.

NBC should not get her to replace Tim Russert. I think they should choose Chuck Todd. He was Russert's protege.

Parkbandit
08-18-2008, 04:06 PM
NBC should not get her to replace Tim Russert. I think they should choose Chuck Todd. He was Russert's protege.

NBC wouldn't surprise me by putting Olbermann or Matthews in Russert's seat.

Mabus
08-18-2008, 04:36 PM
NBC wouldn't surprise me by putting Olbermann or Matthews in Russert's seat.
I'd like to see them get Gwen Ifill. She leans left, but always seem well prepared and fair in her interviews.

Back
08-18-2008, 04:51 PM
Mark Whitaker, currently Senior Vice President at NBC News, has been named chief of the network's Washington, D.C. bureau, a spot that has remained vacant since Tim Russert died on June 13.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2008/07/28/mark-whitaker-named-nbc-n_n_115409.html

It says nothing about who will become the new face of Meet the Press. Brian Williams? David Gregory? John McLaughlin? Nah, not McLaughlin. He’s already got his own Sunday morning slot.

As for the “cone of silence” thing... there has been corroboration to the report that McCain was off-site during Obama’s interview which means McCain could have been listening. I think this is more the point of the story.

Anyone who has followed this campaign has heard McCain say he’ll chase Osama to the gates of hell before.

But think about this... if McCain has a sure-fire plan to get Osama why is he keeping it to himself until he gets elected? Lets assume for the sake of the argument that he has a plan that will work. Isn’t it completely selfish and self serving to withhold that information from the rest of the country as a means to gain the highest of public office, the presidency?

Parkbandit
08-18-2008, 04:55 PM
But think about this... if McCain has a sure-fire plan to get Osama why is he keeping it to himself until he gets elected? Lets assume for the sake of the argument that he has a plan that will work. Isn’t it completely selfish and self serving to withhold that information from the rest of the country as a means to gain the highest of public office, the presidency?

You mean like the Democratic plan of lowering gas prices when they took over control of Congress in 2006?

ClydeR
08-18-2008, 04:58 PM

If McCain really has a secret plan, as he claims, to capture Bin Laden, then I agree that he should go ahead and tell Bush so that we can get Bin Laden now.

crb
08-18-2008, 05:00 PM
You mean like the Democratic plan of lowering gas prices when they took over control of Congress in 2006?
rofl

Serious though, I don't think McCain has a plan or a secret weapon for finding Osama, I think he just means to give pakistan an ultimatum about those mountains between afganistan and pakistan. Something along the lines of "We're going in, you can help us, or stand aside, but don't try to interfere."

Parkbandit
08-18-2008, 05:01 PM
God.. the stupidity of ClydeR+Backlash is close to infinity.

McCain is stating that he will use all the resources available to him to go after Obama.. that it will be a high priority of his Presidency. He doesn't have an actual plan to actually go invade Hell and grab Obama.

Sean
08-18-2008, 05:04 PM
Originally Posted by ParkBandit
McCain is stating that he will use all the resources available to him to go after Obama.. that it will be a high priority of his Presidency. He doesn't have an actual plan to actually go invade Hell and grab Obama.

Freudian slip?

Back
08-18-2008, 05:25 PM

ParkBanditian slip.

http://www.zendada.com/images/bin.gif

Parkbandit
08-18-2008, 05:33 PM
LOL..

Oops?

Kefka
08-18-2008, 05:44 PM
This is pretty crazy...

http://www.politico.com/news/stories/0808/12594.html
http://www.nytimes.com/2008/08/18/us/politics/18mccain.html?ref=politics

http://newsbusters.org/blogs/d-s-hube/2008/08/17/nbcs-andrea-mitchell-floats-idea-mccain-cheated

I went to a John McCain rally during the primary in January. His line about finding Osama was said at that rally, going to the gates of hell and all that. He has said it numerous times since, it is his line for finding Osama, I think it is a little over the top, but it is vintage McCain.

So NBC news insinuates that McCain knew Obama gave a wishy washy answer and so purposefully came up with a more forceful response? His response was his standard response he has used probably hundreds and hundreds of times. ... le sigh

Maybe it had something to do with McCain answering a 3 part question before Warren finished asking the first question?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n83M-jgOaJQ

Gan
08-18-2008, 05:57 PM
http://www.joeclipart.com/blog/images/2006/12/20061227cone.jpg

Back
08-18-2008, 06:08 PM
LOL..

Oops?

Whoopsie! Invaded the wrong country! Silly me. Sorry about your sons and daughters, mothers and fathers, aunts, uncles, nieces, nephews, neighborghs and your peaceful way of daily life. My bad.

Khariz
08-18-2008, 06:20 PM
As for the “cone of silence” thing... there has been corroboration to the report that McCain was off-site during Obama’s interview which means McCain could have been listening. I think this is more the point of the story.

There's also been corroboration from the secret service and Warren's own Saddleback staff that McCain was sitting in a silent green room.

<shrug>

"McCain was headed to the church -- in a motorcade supervised by the Secret Service -- when Warren's interview with Obama began. Upon arriving at the church, he was taken to a so-called "green room" to await his turn."

So yeah...he was pulling in when Obama started, and was ushered into the silent room. I'm not seeing any potential problems. And at any rate, if the candidates didn't already know what type of questions to expect from Rick Warren, then they are fucking morons. He also called both of them last week and told them what types of questions he was going to ask!

Back
08-18-2008, 06:31 PM
There's also been corroboration from the secret service and Warren's own Saddleback staff that McCain was sitting in a silent green room.

<shrug>

"McCain was headed to the church -- in a motorcade supervised by the Secret Service -- when Warren's interview with Obama began. Upon arriving at the church, he was taken to a so-called "green room" to await his turn."

So yeah...he was pulling in when Obama started, and was ushered into the silent room. I'm not seeing any potential problems. And at any rate, if the candidates didn't already know what type of questions to expect from Rick Warren, then they are fucking morons. He also called both of them last week and told them what types of questions he was going to ask!

I personally don’t think this is “big” news. But I am concerned with the accuracy of the truth.

Parkbandit
08-18-2008, 06:50 PM
Whoopsie! Invaded the wrong country! Silly me. Sorry about your sons and daughters, mothers and fathers, aunts, uncles, nieces, nephews, neighborghs and your peaceful way of daily life. My bad.

You really are a fucking retard.

It's funny.. people generally gain more knowledge ( become smarter ) as they grow older. You seem to be just the opposite.

Back
08-18-2008, 06:55 PM
Fer fut saa, here comes the “I know you are but what am I” argument again...

Ok, my response was kinda outfield, PB. But I have never understood your lax attitude on Osama. Let him die in the hills? He, if being the true mastermind of 9-11, needs to be dead a long time ago.

Faent
08-19-2008, 11:42 AM

No amount of help from McCain's strategists can ensure that the garbage that comes out of his mouth is precisely crafted. His memory is shot to hell. Of course, his spokespeople do try to carefully craft their words, but for the most part, they're failing miserably too. For example, one of his spokesidiots, Nicolle Wallace, stated that “The insinuation from the Obama campaign that John McCain, a former prisoner of war, cheated is outrageous..." Do they think working in the phrase "former prisoner of war" at every possible opportunity, no matter how irrelevant, appeals to the average American moron? Well, maybe.

I certainly wouldn't put cheating past McCain. Heck, he needs all the help he can get before he opens his mouth. But there's no conclusive evidence that he did cheat. The alleged three questions he supposedly answered were never asked by Rick Warren. Rather, Warren asked Obama only *one* question. So the cheating theory most plausibly requires McCain to have *misheard* Warren's questions (which he may well have done, since Warren elided so many words when asking Obama). It's also possible McCain misheard Warren as he was entering the building late. (And of course, if he heard anything, he no doubt misheard it.)

More amusing is that Warren never asked McCain a question, and that dipshit McCain appeared to be giving three answers, after which all the sheeple applauded. What were those morons applauding? McCain blowing hot air?

Khariz
08-19-2008, 11:56 AM
They applauding because they already heard Obama give his bullshit "I'm a weasal and I'm not going to answer questions that could peg my morals or convictions" type answers, and McCain was actually answering the questions straight up AND pandering to what they wanted to hear (whether the answers were his actual personal beliefs or not, I don't know or care).

Why wouldn't they applaud?